• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

tumblr_ncyc67C6wj1qhhv13o1_500.jpg

Stores here finally got copies. Time to finally try out the free dlc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dodging Kanji's Instant Kill Rush by air dashing over it, having them turn around and start to rush you as you activate Adachi's Instant Kill is one of the most hilarious things I've pulled off in this game so far. They are trying to land their kill, I know they have the meter and are going to attempt to bait me. Dodge it and somehow land the IK I was just pulling off so we were even as they rushed in. Cracked me up for a good five minutes.

Then after a few more dick around matches they pulled out Kanji's stops and totally owned me.

antibolo

Banned
Why the hell does the game not give you your victory point when your fucking dipshit of an opponent disconnects AFTER you won the last round.

Seriously, that's bullshit. Makes me not want to continue playing Ranked.

You have the option to accept the ranked match or not, like if you think they your opponent is too tough or the connection might not be good.

yea I accept, it's them quitting and then rejoining the match. It was weird since the guy did it like three times lol. I think player search is the way to go for me since lobby/ranked always somehow doesn't net me good connections

I feel like I am playing this game wrong and not mashing DP, AoA, Evade enough.
All of them get stuffed pretty easily. DP out of block strings, but don't get too predictable or you can get baited into it. AoA during pressure if you know they'll block low (spoiler: everyone blocks low all the time) or if you know they're going to do a move that you can armor through, again very easy to be baited into doing if you aren't careful. Evade... Well I'm pretty bad at evading because I always get punished for it, but it's something you have to feel out for different characters and situations.

Astarte

I spent a good 5 minutes laughing at the absurdity of a swag shadow Naoto combo someone was pulling on me. Oh lord, that swag and pain

ZeroX03

Banned
For the Score Master trophy (You completed five Score Attack courses!), do I have to beat the courses at different difficulty levels, or can I just play Course A-D on Safety, and one more on Easy?

Also unlocking Navigators without paying for them? Rise kind of annoying.

For some reason, I had convinced myself that this was getting a PS4 release. Oh well, guess I'll have to pick it up sometime. Hopefully Amazon will still have the cards and inflatable Teddy in stock.

Not when they are too fast to react to and beat DPs.
Well by their nature DPs should be hard to react to, if they weren't then they wouldn't really be doing their job of breaking pressure too well; you have to learn when they're going to DP and that's how you beat them, not easy and not something that's guaranteed to work. The trade off is that if they're just doing them willy nilly every time you get near them then they're killing themselves because once you get a hit it's going to be crazy damage. You can ask Tyrant Rave, when I discovered Liz's DP in the last game it was the best and worst thing for me because I was finally able to hold some control against his mitsuru and start getting some damage output, but I started relaying on it too much and then he'd tag my with a jab and do like 1500 damage on top of the combo he was about to do.

Unfortunately not all AoA attacks are created evenly, characters like Rise have ridiculous ones where the animations is so vague you can't even tell they're happening -especially during pressure- but for the most part if you get caught by an AoA while you're on the attack then you should be able to jump cancel it providing you aren't doing a very slow move or spazzing out (I spaz out a lot, I won't lie).

Evades are the easiest to catch, again it isn't a 100% thing because if so there'd be no reason to use it, but as long as you aren't doing a move with a lot of recovery (or in the case of this game a non-dash cancelable move) you can do a dash and catch them in the recovery.

They're all great tools, but if you just start throwing them out all over the place it'll only hurt you.

hao chi

For the Score Master trophy (You completed five Score Attack courses!), do I have to beat the courses at different difficulty levels, or can I just play Course A-D on Safety, and one more on Easy?

That should work. IIRC I got the trophy for doing three Score Attack course from doing two on safety and one on normal.

Also unlocking Navigators without paying for them? Rise kind of annoying.

stupidjerkihateyou

think I understand more about that combo anne. If I end up on the other side when I airdash does that mean I'm doing the dash/j2b early or late?

Lemstar

95%+ of my matches in any ArcSys game are against 0-bars. I don't have the luxury of being picky if I want to get more than one match a day.

It's only a tiny fraction of them that are legitimately unplayable, at least.

Anne

think I understand more about that combo anne. If I end up on the other side when I airdash does that mean I'm doing the dash/j2b early or late?

either doing the airdash too early or the j.2B late. If you're asking if Aigis is worth picking up, yeah she is. She's kinda busted in some regards.

Rhapsody

Banned
I suppose. I think I'll be ok if I just go in with the expectation that I'm going to lose every round. Because going in with the opposite isn't working out for me.

I recommend saving any replays and seeing them to get a better idea of what to change. Try to see how you got hit or what kept working on someone. I think you get nervous in fights in matches which can rollercoaster into a loss from some bad button presses.

Xenoflare

The vast majority of the connections I encountered are 0. I usually don't join the station where the other player is at 0 but sometimes other 0 barred people doesn't mind play with me, so I just go along with it.

Is there a way to turn on input display for all online matches because I still have no idea why I get hit when I think I am blocking. No there are no exclamation marks indicating that I was blocking the wrong direction either.

hao chi

95%+ of my matches in any ArcSys game are against 0-bars. I don't have the luxury of being picky if I want to get more than one match a day.

It's only a tiny fraction of them that are legitimately unplayable, at least.

I think our matches together on BBCP have felt fine barring the very occasional lag spike despite being zero bars. Picking a netplay stage and letting the intro play out does wonders (usually).

Rhapsody

Banned
Ok, I'm definitely giving Margaret a lot more credit than before. She has some really good stupid stuff.

I'll start learning Ken more after this and see what else he can do.

Xenoflare

if your PSR is almost 600, you probably shouldnt be in the beginner lobby fyi...

Yeah, it's not like you are going to get any reward from beating playersjust trying to get used to things (heck, lobbies doesn't affect rankings and PSR) . The feeling of you conquered a powerful opponent is neither here nor there.

However, I've seen a few of F's and E's were more skilled than the B's and C's that I fought, it's probably the latter is trying to get used to characters that they don't use.

I'm staying E-, I still caved in for Ranked even when I vowed not to, but enough is enough.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not a high res. version of it, unfortunately. I found a non-watermarked version yesterday, but its quality is pretty low:
Damn, wish this was the reverse box art.

Finally pulled myself away from SSB & getting back into Story Mode. Not too far in, but I'm already liking this better with one connecting story instead of the same story, but just switching the characters for the most part.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ugghhhhh, its so hard to take Ls non stop. The temptation to just mash buttons, and then get angry and lose anyway is too much.

Solution: Mash. ALL THE BUTTONS! #YOLOSWAG

Anyone know how much EXP is needed for level 30 in online mode? Curious to know how close I am to hitting that.

pixxxelz

I just started playing this and the first thing I notice is that Margaret has a different va *flips table*

I know other characters have different voice actors as well but why Margaret WHY!!

Xenoflare

I just started playing this and the first thing I notice is that Margaret has a different va *flips table*

I know other characters have different voice actors as well but why Margaret WHY!!

Her old VA's baby was sick and she had to take care of her child and cannot attend to the recordings.

A shame, since her voice got this subtle sensuality that the new Marge does not have, this is especially evident in the original P4A. The first thing I noticed is that she sounded better than P4.

Huh? Did you play P4A? That game has something like 20 hours of filler when you repeat the same things from different perspectives over and over again. Everybody is pretty much in agreement that this story mode has been a huge improvement. Pacing is again, far better than before though not perfect.

That's a good point. Okay, maybe "filler" isn't quite the right word, then. P4A's campaign is pretty repetitive from a plot standpoint because it's the same basic plot points nine or ten times over. But I guess it didn't feel so awful because each story was specific to a character and played out slightly differently, or maybe I just forgot all the awful bits and only remember the decent ones.

Whereas P4AU felt more like a slog, even after finishing Episode P3 (which, to be fair, is much better than Episode P4). The number of times you have to sit through dialogue after the ring gets established is annoying. Having a group of people in the same room all cheer on/shout down the same person is annoying. (Labrys says something about believing in your friends. Eight people then proceed to say "oh Labrys" or "yeah Labrys you're awesome.") And I do feel that the initial pacing of the episodes is really poor--they front-load the character introductions, so you have to go through three or four different sub-chapters before you fight anyone. After than it does get better though.

I may have been too hasty to dismiss P4AU based on Episode P4, as it's clearly the worse of the two. This, along with P4A, should really be considered Persona 3 sequels more than anything. But I felt like P4AU dragged more for some reason. I dunno. I'll think about it some more and see if it feels better after some time digesting it.

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Vanilla. Thanks for helping me learn Margaret. Still struggling on neutral a bit.

Also any moving DPs like Labrys, Shabrys, and Yukari makes me realize I can't get away with some things.

I need to remember how good the 5B gatlings are for her. Lets her convert off of so much.

I honestly don't know why you don't just spam the blue grab guy non stop. You can't jump over it, guard it, roll it, attack it, it is free damage once it is used. And if I FA'd then that would just be more free damage from a counter hit.

I wouldn't call that a struggle.

It was a complete stomp every single round. But this time I knew to expect nothing so it's cool.

Jawmuncher

I'm playing through the P4A 1 story mode.
As in the first game not the story DLC for Ultimax.

Is the story for Ultimax better structured?
Realized here it's kinda sloppy and you really only need to play 4 of the stories to really get the whole picture. Plus you can skip the nondialog text for most of the stories it seems.

I'm playing through the P4A 1 story mode.
As in the first game not the story DLC for Ultimax.

Is the story for Ultimax better structured?
Realized here it's kinda sloppy and you really only need to play 4 of the stories to really get the whole picture. Plus you can skip the nondialog text for most of the stories it seems.

Ultimax is split into two episodes and there are no separate character storylines (though individual characters will be the focus of chapters inside each episode). So in that sense, yes, it's better structured.

Top Bottom