• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Xenoflare

I'm pretty mad. I haven't had time this week to turn on my PS3, and I do now to get the free DLC before it's Tuesday, aaaaand it's on Eastern time and aren't free anymore :/

You can certainly do it on the web, and IIRC the PSN store updates during the day time, so you might still have a chance to grab it. I recall getting some last minute PS+ deals/freebies very early during the day of the supposed update.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
You can certainly do it on the web, and IIRC the PSN store updates during the day time, so you might still have a chance to grab it. I recall getting some last minute PS+ deals/freebies very early during the day of the supposed update.

Looks like this time they were right on time on even the PSN site :/ Darn...

Arcsys games aren't a great place to go after smash. In terms of ease of entry fighters go: Smash->Soul Calibur->mortal kombat->Steet Fighter->Anything Arcsys.

The difference is that there were more new people playing P4AU than anything Capcom, but that time is coming to an end it looks like.

Steel

Banned
As I said in the Persona OT,
Ultimax's story is really bad, even worse when you factor in the fact that it's canon. The only praise I could give is that the structure flows better. Seriously, this story is one big cringefest. I felt no connection to the characters at all

Seriously I still cannot get over how
cringy Rise's "awakening" is, I mean when I heard I'll face myself I was like "Seriously? This fast? Wow"

Also Sho. Haha.
2edgy4me

The problem with Igor is that Japan has this practice where when one character's original VA passes away it they might bury the character along with it, it would be really sad if Atlus did that, but I guess it's understandable in a way, buy ol' man Igor's been in Persona since Mark danced crazy.

Yeah, agreed overall. However, I actually didn't hate Sho as a character,
yeah he was overally edgy in-game but compared to the "power of friendship" shit everyone else was spouting, it's at least on a better end of the spectrum. His actual personality when he's not outright throwing a fit was actually pretty fun/interesting. Minazuki's personality wasn't bad either. The problem with Sho/minazuki is more a problem with the plot.

I will say I felt arena 1 had a better plot, even if it wasn't good. At least
it was more personal and not "Oh shit the world's gonna end in 1 hour because some kid hates everything.... But oh wait a god is pulling the strings because reasons".

The difference is that there were more new people playing P4AU than anything Capcom, but that time is coming to an end it looks like.

Eh, there's a reason why Street Fighter's near the end of the list, but at least you'll feel like you can pull some flashy stuff off in training with some effort(The same in an arc sys game is much more difficult). Soul Calibur is definitely better for newbs in that it's more about blocking at the right time and hitting in the right spot than memorizing difficult combos.

Xenoflare

Yeah, agreed overall. However, I actually didn't hate Sho as a character,
yeah he was overally edgy in-game but compared to the "power of friendship" shit everyone else was spouting, it's at least on a better end of the spectrum. His actual personality when he's not outright throwing a fit was actually pretty fun/interesting. Minazuki's personality wasn't bad either. The problem with Sho/minazuki is more a problem with the plot.

I will say I felt arena 1 had a better plot, even if it wasn't good. At least
it was more personal and not "Oh shit the world's gonna end in 1 hour because some kid hates everything.... But oh wait a god is pulling the strings because reasons".

I agree, Sho's
problem lies more within the plot, but because the returning cast have P3/P4 to back them up, so sadly he's going to endure the hate for me, although I agree about the hurrur POWER OF DE FRENZSHIP being really, really dumb. It's almost a kind of disservice to the source material,I think I might be too critical to a fighting game's story, but then again, it's canon, it deserves better.

The original Arena DOES have a better plot, only if you are okay with the story mode is basically repeating itself 10+ times. The plot is at least serviceable.
Ultimax reeks afterthought it's not even funny.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I still need to finish the story before Xrd hits.

I suppose I'll forgo online play until I have that all wrapped up.

Pretty much what I'm doing. I dabbled a bit with Shadow Chie and Marie the other day, but now I'm focusing on finishing up the story.

Zareka

Arcsys games aren't a great place to go after smash. In terms of ease of entry fighters go: Smash->Soul Calibur->mortal kombat->Steet Fighter->Anything Arcsys.

And yeah igor's new voice sucks. Really hope they get his old voice for Persona 5
Yeah, I'm getting the idea they're at opposite ends of the spectrum. I can hold my own in Smash, but I don't know WHAT the hell is going on in Arena/Ultimax. Comboing is so far out my league, the one more stuff, weird character gimmicks, everything including the basics is completely foreign to me. I've played BlazBlue, Arena and now Ultimax and I just cannot grasp a single thing. I'm playing as Rise right now, and I can pretty much wreck the AI on hard but I'm guessing that doesn't mean much. I could blow through Skullgirls on the highest difficult no problem but as soon as I went online I got decimated.

I also noticed that
Ikutski's
voice changed. It was more convincing than Igor, but it was totally Dojima's actor coming out his mouth. Did they lose
Dan Warren
or something?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shouldnt adachi be free for the first week?
Yes, you have one more day to grab him for free (in the US) before he & Marie become $5 each. 360 owners get an extra day due to how long it took for them to put him up on Xbox Live.

Tizoc

Yes, you have one more day to grab him for free (in the US) before he & Marie become $5 each. 360 owners get an extra day due to how long it took for them to put him up on Xbox Live.

...but they show up as $4.99 in the US Store >_>;

Tizoc

That means you were too late. Someone in this thread mentioned that they were no longer free on PSN late last night.

Dang...
Actually I'm getting my retail copy soon that one will have a code for Adachi at least right?
The next character, Margret will be free for 1 week too right?

Dang...
Actually I'm getting my retail copy soon that one will have a code for Adachi at least right?
The next character, Margret will be free for 1 week too right?

No, Adachi and Marie were offered as free downloads for the first week to everyone in NA. There was no codes or anything unless you got a Japanese copy IIRC.

Margaret was always going to be paid. She's going to be $5.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to email Atlus about it, but apparently there's a character limit to their customer support emails -_- I doubt I'll get much of a response with asking for freebie (didn't even get a chance to type out "hey I have a receipt as proof of purchase!") mainly because of the poor support and treatment they used to give on their forums :/

I doubt they would even message me back via Facebook, even though ironically enough they got rid of the forums "to best support customers through social media outlets".

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
That means you were too late. Someone in this thread mentioned that they were no longer free on PSN late last night.

Weird, I though they said they were going to be a free for a week. The chracters appeared on PSN on the evening of last Tuesday IIRC.

Tizoc

No, Adachi and Marie were offered as free downloads for the first week to everyone in NA. There was no codes or anything unless you got a Japanese copy IIRC.

Margaret was always going to be paid. She's going to be $5.

Tsk I always get stuff that're free whenever PSN update got sloppy this time (I blame my night shift :V)
Oh well I'll get them while on sale or MAYBE during this promo if there's nothing else I want :p

Weird, I though they said they were going to be a free for a week. The chracters appeared on PSN on the evening of last Tuesday IIRC.

Game came out last Tuesday, and now it's Tuesday again so that's one week already.

What I'm sure nobody expected was how exact that'd be, pretty sure it was still Monday in most NA timezones when they stopped being free :|

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Game came out last Tuesday, and now it's Tuesday again so that's one week already.

What I'm sure nobody expected was how exact that'd be, pretty sure it was still Monday in most NA timezones when they stopped being free :|

Yup that's why I'm mad. It was still Monday night PST. 10PM for me and no good. So yeah it sucks that they were taken down early, for me :/ (I wonder if they will even email me back on it...) Maybe calling them would be more effective?

FluxWaveZ

Yup that's why I'm mad. It was still Monday night PST. 10PM for me and no good. So yeah it sucks that they were taken down early, for me :/ (I wonder if they will even email me back on it...) Maybe calling them would be more effective?

I don't think you'll get any results. It's been a week, just like they advertised. Specific PSN update times are meaningless.

Edit: Online isn't really as empty as I had previously thought; it's just that the NA players are concentrated around the beginner lobbies, which I haven't been going to.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think you'll get any results. It's been a week, just like they advertised. Specific PSN update times are meaningless.

Technically less than a week since they updated the store late to start and early to finish. Almost a full day less.

Tried online for the first time today. Got bodied as expected. Slightly irritated at beginner lobby filled with obviously-not-beginners.

Still looking for a main. Not doing so well with Labrys =(

Online is really good. 1-bar is very playable and even some 0-bars are.

Tried online for the first time today. Got bodied as expected. Slightly irritated at beginner lobby filled with obviously-not-beginners.

Yeah the netcode is great. Flux and I had like a 1 bar connection to each other and I had zero issues.

I feel you since that happened to me too with a friend I was telling to download the dlc so I wouldn't need to take the entire ps3 to his house to play properly.

However, I doubt there is anything to be done since there's no false advertising going on and they can argue that you had an entire week to use the PSN webpage to get it if your ps3 wasn't available :/

unfortunately the beginner lobby is where a lot of people like me hang out...I have quite a bit of arcsys experience, but I get bodied in the non beginner lobby. Its really hard being a true beginner

if you want to fight in a player lobby while looking for a main, hit me up, PSN is my username here.

Edit: Online isn't really as empty as I had previously thought; it's just that the NA players are concentrated around the beginner lobbies, which I haven't been going to.
Really? I see plenty of people with 3 bars in the NA lobby. Usually the NA lobby has more people with better connections than beginner, at least to me.

FluxWaveZ

Really? I see plenty of people with 3 bars in the NA lobby. Usually the NA lobby has more people with better connections than beginner, at least to me.

I meant the beginner NA lobbies. As in Junes, not Iwatodai Dorm or even Tartarus, which is where I usually tried to find matches.

Not talking about connections, either; talking about the amount of people.

I meant the beginner NA lobbies. As in Junes, not Iwatodai Dorm or even Tartarus, which is where I usually tried to find matches.

Not talking about connections, either; talking about the amount of people.

Ah ok then, yeah Junes usually has Magician and Priestess instances full or close to full.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How much EXP is required to reach level 30 in Online? I'm curious how close to the end of "grinding" I am or not. D:

TheSeks

Is there a level system like the 1st game?
I never see anything after playing, though I only ever hang out in Junes.

Rank system, yes. P-card "level" system as well but I'm not sure what qualifies for the EXP system (which is shown in the Ranked matches results screen but not in Lobbies) and what the EXP values are like Blazblues which DOES show up at the end of your matches in Versus (at least for Extend) when going back to the main menu.

You need to change your post match screen away from simple, that will give you a lvl/XP breakdown after the match is over.

Personally I think its a good idea to do that anyway so you don't have to listen to the stupid post match quotes in English.

TheSeks

You need to change your post match screen away from simple, that will give you a lvl/XP breakdown after the match is over.

Personally I think its a good idea to do that anyway so you don't have to listen to the stupid post match quotes in English.

In the options screen?

But yeah anyway: I'm trying to reach level 30 and I'm at level 24-ish with 2million EXP so I'm wondering how much EXP to go toward that. D:

vg260

It wasn't so bad for the first few days but it eventually got overrun with people who as you say clearly aren't beginners which is a shame.

Ugh, that's obnoxious. I'm working my way through single player stuff first, so this could be a nightmare when I start to go online.

Busaiku

Well, no desire to change it now.

FluxWaveZ

Ugh, that's obnoxious. I'm working my way through single player stuff first, so this could be a nightmare when I start to go online.

From what I could tell from going around the beginner/all-around lobby that is Junes for the first time, there is a large variation in player skill there. It's actually labeled more of a social lobby than a beginner lobby, which I would guess is the reason. The true beginner lobbies that are "Inside the TV" and another one seem to be mostly populated by actual beginners.

Regardless, you can look at an opponent's card color (from light blue to red), and get a basic idea of where their skill is at, avoiding yellow to red cards to avoid more experienced players.

Regardless, you can look at an opponent's card color (from light blue to red), and get a basic idea of where their skill is at, avoiding yellow to red cards to avoid more experienced players.

I got blown up by light green ones, or at least I think I did because I ranked down to dark green heh. I guess it depends on how confident you feel. I did see AnnelFrank spending time in the Junes lobby as well, red square.

From what I could tell from going around the beginner/all-around lobby that is Junes for the first time, there is a large variation in player skill there. It's actually labeled more of a social lobby than a beginner lobby, which I would guess is the reason. The true beginner lobbies that are "Inside the TV" and another one seem to be mostly populated by actual beginners.

my card is yellow now, guess I should start playing int he regular lobby then

FluxWaveZ

I got blown up by light green ones, or at least I think I did because I ranked down to dark green heh. I guess it depends on how confident you feel. I did see AnnelFrank spending time in the Junes lobby as well, red square.

Yeah, I'm a red square and was facing off against a few dark orange squares in my brief time there.

The color is just a general rule, and there are, of course, exceptions. I know a player who should probably be dark orange/red intentionally forced himself to be a light blue color because he likes that color.

my card is yellow now, guess I should start playing int he regular lobby then

It's not a hard rule and I have no idea what the preference is, but when I think "beginner", I think of the white, light blue, blue and green cards. No idea what the general makeup of the specific lobbies are just yet, but I think no matter the lobby you're in, you could probably find one of your skill level right now.

Well, except for Tartarus. Barely anyone ever in Iwatodai Dorm for me to judge that, either.

Top Bottom