• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Rhapsody

Banned
I honestly don't know why you don't just spam the blue grab guy non stop. You can't jump over it, guard it, roll it, attack it, it is free damage once it is used. And if I FA'd then that would just be more free damage from a counter hit.

I wouldn't call that a struggle.

It was a complete stomp every single round. But this time I knew to expect nothing so it's cool.
The persona grab has armor. But one is a ground grab and the other is an air grab. If you end up eating the ground one, the damage is just ok (afaik). The anti air ice one is the strong one.

Edit: I don't know what other cues there are to guess which one is going to happen. The only thing I know is that ground grab has a longer start up. So you can just down back for a short bit, then air dash forward. I don't think the mixup is that strong since you'll get a feel for the timing. It's sort of like how players OS block Noel's drives.

Jawmuncher

Ultimax is split into two episodes and there are no separate character storylines (though individual characters will be the focus of chapters inside each episode). So in that sense, yes, it's better structured.

That alone already sounds much better.
Since I was finding the multiple characters routes that aren't canon but a certain part is kinda odd. Glad to know before I pick it up after this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That alone already sounds much better.
Since I was finding the multiple characters routes that aren't canon but a certain part is kinda odd. Glad to know before I pick it up after this.

To be fair to the first P4U though: There is a few "character specific" areas/events for all the characters. But yeah... generally they're following the same lines with just names and a few words replaced. It was really weak, even for a typical Arc Sys Fighting Game story structure. :/

ZeroX03

Banned
That's a good point. Okay, maybe "filler" isn't quite the right word, then. P4A's campaign is pretty repetitive from a plot standpoint because it's the same basic plot points nine or ten times over. But I guess it didn't feel so awful because each story was specific to a character and played out slightly differently, or maybe I just forgot all the awful bits and only remember the decent ones.

Whereas P4AU felt more like a slog, even after finishing Episode P3 (which, to be fair, is much better than Episode P4). The number of times you have to sit through dialogue after the ring gets established is annoying. Having a group of people in the same room all cheer on/shout down the same person is annoying. (Labrys says something about believing in your friends. Eight people then proceed to say "oh Labrys" or "yeah Labrys you're awesome.") And I do feel that the initial pacing of the episodes is really poor--they front-load the character introductions, so you have to go through three or four different sub-chapters before you fight anyone. After than it does get better though.

I may have been too hasty to dismiss P4AU based on Episode P4, as it's clearly the worse of the two. This, along with P4A, should really be considered Persona 3 sequels more than anything. But I felt like P4AU dragged more for some reason. I dunno. I'll think about it some more and see if it feels better after some time digesting it.

You really might want to play P4A again and see just how bad it really is. Especially things like the bolded. You have to go through a description of everything going on in the game for every character in P4A. Over and over. Everything you seem to dislike is far worse in P4A, except I guess this has less fighting, but the actual fighting was never really a big part of the story mode (to the extent you can skip it, fighting is more for Golden Arena and Score Attack).

Zareka

MY COPY FINALLY ARRIVEEEEED.

Can't wait to dig in to this game. I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong by being here for the story, but ah well.

Time to play!

Rutti

MY COPY FINALLY ARRIVEEEEED.

Can't wait to dig in to this game. I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong by being here for the story, but ah well.

Time to play!

I'm getting it for the story also(my copy hasn't arrived yet). But I think this might be the first fighting game where I try out the online stuff and get little competitive. Still a massive noob tho.

Zareka

I'm getting it for the story also(my copy hasn't arrived yet). But I think this might be the first fighting game where I try out the online stuff and get little competitive. Still a massive noob tho.
Yeah, I'm thinking of trying online too this time round. Smash has given me a little confidence boost, but I still completely suuuck at your more traditional fighting games. I'll have to see if I can improve myself. We should fight sometime, noob to noob. :p

Man, what the hell happened to Margaret's voice? Why the HELL does Igor sound like Junpei? Am I going to well up when I hear the fate of Naoto's voice?

I don't think I even want to hear Theo.

Rutti

Yeah, I'm thinking of trying online too this time round. Smash has given me a little confidence boost, but I still completely suuuck at your more traditional fighting games. I'll have to see if I can improve myself. We should fight sometime, noob to noob. :p
The true way. Yea i wouldn't mind. It's better learning experience fighting your own level instead of being dominated by some godlike(mediocre) player. Still have to wait for that copy. Overseas delivery can be a bitch. I hope that I get it this week.

Zareka

The true way. Yea i wouldn't mind. It's better learning experience fighting your own level instead of being dominated by some godlike(mediocre) player. Still have to wait for that copy. Overseas delivery can be a bitch. I hope that I get it this week.
Yeah, getting bodied by people back in Arena really didn't do much to help me get better. Fighting someone similar to myself should do me better. I hope you get your copy soon!

So going by Episode P4, going into this for the story was doing it wrong. That was horrible. Worse than Arena.

I'm not holding out much hope for Episode P3.

GGs Flux! I haven't fought a bunch of those characters yet in Ultimax (Yukiko, Yosuke, Aigis, Teddie) so it was interesting to see some of their changes lol

Those Shadow combos were pretty crazy. I knew the minute I saw you pick Shadow Aki that you were gonna do the uppercut loop on me

FluxWaveZ

GGs. Unfortunately, I'm not too great with any of the Shadow characters just yet, which lead to all of those combo drops you witnessed. I get so focused on pulling them off sometimes that I disregard everything else, which I'm not too happy about. I did fully land the Shadow Akihiko one in one of the rounds, though, which I was satisfied about!

Gotta practice those more in training mode. Also should have picked Adachi at some point during the set.

GGs. Unfortunately, I'm not too great with any of the Shadow characters just yet, which lead to all of those combo drops you witnessed. I get so focused on pulling them off sometimes that I disregard everything else, which I'm not too happy about. I did fully land the Shadow Akihiko one in one of the rounds, though, which I was satisfied about!

Gotta practice those more in training mode. Also should have picked Adachi at some point during the set.

You still landed quite a few Berserk combos, you landed the one with Mitsuru multiple times for example.

You did miss on a lot of free damage with her besides that though. Off a throw in the corner do 5AA > 5B > 2B > C Bufula >[5]B > 2AB > Coup instead of what you were doing. It ends in a knockdown and if you really need the kill you can cancel the Coup into a super.

edit: I think it might be just 2AB xx Coup in a throw combo now, but either way!

FluxWaveZ

You still landed quite a few Berserk combos, you landed the one with Mitsuru multiple times for example.

You did miss on a lot of free damage with her besides that though. Off a throw in the corner do 5AA > 5B > 2B > C Bufula >[5]B > 2AB > Coup instead of what you were doing. It ends in a knockdown and if you really need the kill you can cancel the Coup into a super.

edit: I think it might be just 2AB xx Coup in a throw combo now, but either way!

Nah, I actually never once landed the Shadow combo with Mitsuru. The standard one does from 6.7k to 7.1k of damage, and I constantly messed up the timing or the inputs, so I had to improvise after I messed up.

I don't really play with Mitsuru at all, so that's pretty much why I didn't do any of her more complex BnBs. Literally was just playing her Shadow version to pull off that combo, haha. If I actually decide on playing some more with her, I might have to learn some of that stuff so that I don't just rely on pulling off the combo.

It's kinda difficult to keep all of the more advanced BnBs for each character in mind, but I might take the time to do that if I want to continue rotating through the whole cast like I do now. I just like Shadows so much aesthetically that I have to play as all of them, but the character that I've dedicated the most time learning is currently Adachi.

Playing ranked is good if you're getting dominated by a single person since you're likely to run into people who are around your skill level. I've removed the similar rank restriction on my search criteria however as I like running into people with high rank/PSR.

The persona grab has armor. But one is a ground grab and the other is an air grab. If you end up eating the ground one, the damage is just ok (afaik). The anti air ice one is the strong one.

Edit: I don't know what other cues there are to guess which one is going to happen. The only thing I know is that ground grab has a longer start up. So you can just down back for a short bit, then air dash forward. I don't think the mixup is that strong since you'll get a feel for the timing. It's sort of like how players OS block Noel's drives.

It's ok. I actually started to notice a few things about that matchup so we'll see how it goes next time.

Playing ranked is good if you're getting dominated by a single person since you're likely to run into people who are around your skill level. I've removed the similar rank restriction on my search criteria however as I like running into people with high rank/PSR.

The variety of people also increases headaches from varying connection quality. Personally I'd prefer to get beaten up by some one with a good connection, but I am still just getting used to this game.

Edit: Personally I just do ranked so I can mess around in practice mode until a match pops up.

The variety of people also increases headaches from varying connection quality. Personally I'd prefer to get beaten up by some one with a good connection, but I am still just getting used to this game.

Edit: Personally I just do ranked so I can mess around in practice mode until a match pops up.

Only accept ranked matches from 2(3) and up. I turn down every match below that because playing through molasses isn't worth it imo.

Nah, I actually never once landed the Shadow combo with Mitsuru. The standard one does from 6.7k to 7.1k of damage, and I constantly messed up the timing or the inputs, so I had to improvise after I messed up.

I don't really play with Mitsuru at all, so that's pretty much why I didn't do any of her more complex BnBs. Literally was just playing her Shadow version to pull off that combo, haha. If I actually decide on playing some more with her, I might have to learn some of that stuff so that I don't just rely on pulling off the combo.

It's kinda difficult to keep all of the more advanced BnBs for each character in mind, but I might take the time to do that if I want to continue rotating through the whole cast like I do now. I just like Shadows so much aesthetically that I have to play as all of them, but the character that I've dedicated the most time learning is currently Adachi.

Oh okay, I gotcha. Still, ~5k isn't bad! It seems like you can do some pretty cool setups using Shadow Berserk-- I haven't touched any of the Shadows yet.

I wanna see your Adachi next time we play. I play with him too but I prefer to use Mitsuru cause I like playing footsies with her more.

So going by Episode P4, going into this for the story was doing it wrong. That was horrible. Worse than Arena.

I'm not holding out much hope for Episode P3.

Yeah it's not great I still need to do the p3 route as well as episode Adachi so hopefully those will be better, thankfully I'm having a total blast with the game even if the story stuff has dissapointed me so far.

I still get destroyed when I go online though ;_;

Finally getting to the point where i can do simple combos with some characters >.>

Golden Arena mode is really fun! I'm not usually one for single player modes but enjoying this.

Xenoflare

I just thought everyone should know that I play Marie, and I like to j.C

Do you also seem to know how to avoid Elizabeth's 5B-5C-5D trick? I had a marie that managed to avoid all of my Thanatos grabs and j.C'ed the fuck out of me. It's my first time facing a Marie too I think.

Nyoro SF

Do you also seem to know the trick avoid Elizabeth's 5B-5C-5D trick? I had a marie that managed to avoid all of my Thanatos grabs and j.C'ed the fuck out of me. It's my first time facing a Marie too I think.

It's super easy to avoid Thanatos grab now. All you have to do is watch his neck to drop and you can jump away. You will have to change your strategy a little.

I find it hilarious that they nerfed Elizabeth's mixup.

If a Marie starts to attack recklessly with j.C, jump back and attack with Elizabeth's jump B.

It's super easy to avoid Thanatos grab now. All you have to do is watch his neck to drop and you can jump away. You will have to change your strategy a little.

If a Marie starts to attack recklessly with j.C, jump back and attack with Elizabeth's jump B.
everyone has a good answer to marie j.C, the trick for marie is timing it right, and swapping strats quickly if they know how to answer it

Anne

Marie j.C is whatevs. you should be running at people and hitting 5B instead.

Also Liz mix up always sucked and always will suck. She has some rigged oki set ups though.

Marie j.C is whatevs. you should be running at people and hitting 5B instead.

Also Liz mix up always sucked and always will suck. She has some rigged oki set ups though.
I havent learned any 5B starters yet, dustloop didnt have any while I was learning and I dont have the patience to build any myself...you know any?

can ppl with the jap game play with margaret? Thought she wasn't out but definitely played against one

edit: I posted something on the aigist general discussion anne. Wasn't sure about aigis vs ken

Rhapsody

Banned
Anne, do you remember where that Liz vid was that you linked way back in the FGW thread?

The one with her combo routes involving poison?

Xenoflare

The range is definitely nerfed.

Woo let's add to the list on why Liz is still shit tier

But somehow she's still the only one I know how to combo and play, WTF is wrong with me.

FluxWaveZ

But somehow she's still the only one I know how to combo and play, WTF is wrong with me.

Elizabeth, much like Akihiko and Liz in P4A as well as the Shos in P4AU now, is still a beginner friendly character because of Thanatos and how unusually effective he can be against people who don't know what they're doing.

Xenoflare

Elizabeth, much like Akihiko and Liz in P4A as well as the Shos in P4AU now, is still a beginner friendly character because of Thanatos and how unusually effective he can be against people who don't know what they're doing.

Yeah I can see that, also comboing with Thanatos is strangely satisfying, Especially when Liz is in middle of the screen and her persona is pressuring the opponent at the edge.

That said, I still really loved playing as her, it's really rewarding when you pull it off and defeat an opponent where he/she shaves my health to the last possible drop.

With that said... Flux, how do you feel about Marge in terms of accessibility to noobs? I had one match with a Marge player that knew what he was doing and it was just him owning me everywhere. That dash attack and her AoA really messes me up

She looks hella fun to play as.

FluxWaveZ

With that said... Flux, how do you feel about Marge in terms of accessibility to noobs?

Technical character. Not accessible to beginners, especially not to play her efficiently, but on a lower level one can probably spam teleport AoAs, 236C/Ds, 5Ds with opponents who don't react quickly, full screen sweeps and dominate with that, maybe.

Man the game is insulting me now. Throwing me up against an Adachi with 0 wins and a 0 bar Kanji. I don't need your pity! But I'll take it.

FluxWaveZ

I've given up on ranked since nobody seems to be on there for me

There's no one on Ranked ever, it seems. Hell, even the NA lobby rooms seem fairly empty recently. There are usually several normal player lobbies, though, but the online, North American presence seems rather tame in general. Always plenty of Japanese players, though.

Probably won't get to that Grand Master/God/King/Whatever rank at this rate, heh.

There's no one on Ranked ever, it seems. Hell, even the NA lobby rooms seem fairly empty recently. There are usually several normal player lobbies, though, but the online, North American presence seems rather tame in general. Always plenty of Japanese players, though.

Probably won't get to that Grand Master/God/King/Whatever rank at this rate, heh.

yea, kinda saddens me

FluxWaveZ

yea, kinda saddens me

Actually, do you have a high PSR or rank? I just remembered that I tend to leave the search options at default, which might explain why I only see a very limited amount of players, but I do recall that when I set everything to "Any", I did find a few more people to go against, so you could try that.

Actually, do you have a high PSR or rank? I just remembered that I tend to leave the search options at default, which might explain why I only see a very limited amount of players, but I do recall that when I set everything to "Any", I did find a few more people to go against, so you could try that.

nah I got the lowest, I think I set rank to similar, might try any

Steel

Banned
Yeah just got through the story(finally got the game downloaded a couple days ago after having a long conversation with my ISP, thanks to the one who suggested it). Is it just me or does this feel even more phoned in than the original arena? I mean
the final boss
is a rip from the most recent blazblue.

Beyond that everything about the story itself is trying too hard to be like persona 3 with 4 flavor. I liked the characters, of course, but most of the serious dialogue was stupid. And the passage of time was... Kinda silly in every sense. 1 day passed since the last game? Seriously? Less than 1 hour passes for everything else? Seriously?

It's all so forced. Sidenote,
I think that Gorou will show up in the next game as either a main character or social link in the next game.

Man, what the hell happened to Margaret's voice? Why the HELL does Igor sound like Junpei? Am I going to well up when I hear the fate of Naoto's voice?

I don't think I even want to hear Theo.

Arcsys games aren't a great place to go after smash. In terms of ease of entry fighters go: Smash->Soul Calibur->mortal kombat->Steet Fighter->Anything Arcsys.

And yeah igor's new voice sucks. Really hope they get his old voice for Persona 5

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty mad. I haven't had time this week to turn on my PS3, and I do now to get the free DLC before it's Tuesday, aaaaand it's on Eastern time and aren't free anymore :/

Xenoflare

Yeah just got through the story(finally got the game downloaded a couple days ago after having a long conversation with my ISP, thanks to the one who suggested it). Is it just me or does this feel even more phoned in than the original arena? I mean
the final boss
is a rip from the most recent blazblue.

Beyond that everything about the story itself is trying too hard to be like persona 3 with 4 flavor. I liked the characters, of course, but most of the serious dialogue was stupid. And the passage of time was... Kinda silly in every sense. 1 day passed since the last game? Seriously? Less than 1 hour passes for everything else? Seriously?

It's all so forced. Sidenote,
I think that Gorou will show up in the next game as either a main character or social link in the next game.

Arcsys games aren't a great place to go after smash. In terms of ease of entry fighters go: Smash->Soul Calibur->mortal kombat->Steet Fighter->Anything Arcsys.

And yeah igor's new voice sucks. Really hope they get his old voice for Persona 5

As I said in the Persona OT,
Ultimax's story is really bad, even worse when you factor in the fact that it's canon. The only praise I could give is that the structure flows better. Seriously, this story is one big cringefest. I felt no connection to the characters at all

Seriously I still cannot get over how
cringy Rise's "awakening" is, I mean when I heard I'll face myself I was like "Seriously? This fast? Wow"

Also Sho. Haha.
2edgy4me

The problem with Igor is that Japan has this practice where when one character's original VA passes away it they might bury the character along with it, it would be really sad if Atlus did that, but I guess it's understandable in a way, buy ol' man Igor's been in Persona since Mark danced crazy.

Top Bottom