• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Zareka

Everyone gets bodied when they go online for the first time.

It takes a lot (and I mean a lot) of losing before you start getting decent, and even then you're still liable to lose a ton. If you can put in the time to get good at this game (and I realize that not everyone has the time or drive to do this) then you can get good at this game, even if you aren't intimate with fighting games.
Yeah, I guess I should give myself a little more time. I thought I'd have improved over my past 4 fighting games at least, but if it takes as long as you're saying I guess I just have to keep at it!

Managed to win a couple matches there, albeit against fellow white cards. I almost beat an Elizabeth but my inability to hit the dpad correctly screwed that up. I went up against a white card Adachi but he knew how to combo and annihilated me.

I am kind of handicapping myself, since I almost refuse to use the square button. I feel like relying on auto combo is only going to slow down my progress.

Edit: should add that I'm having fun though, even when I do get beat! It helps that I can choose to fight people around my own level instead of match making with top tier players every time.

Hubb

I've tried on 3 occasions to get the 30 minutes of Training Mode trophy & nothing. And each time, I've had some form of movement/button press happening during the entire time. Not sure why it's not counting.

Not sure but it hasn't popped for me either. Don't know what the issue is, and on more than one occasion I have spent 30+ minutes actually training in there.

FluxWaveZ

I am kind of handicapping myself, since I almost refuse to use the square button. I feel like relying on auto combo is okay going to slow down my progress.

First thing's first: anyone who talks as though the auto-combo is "cheap" or complains about someone using it too much doesn't know what they're talking and/or is an idiot. I suppose I can see one starting to use it too much as a crutch, but there are far more important things to adapt to in the game before learning advanced combos, so the auto-combo system helps with that.

Are you as adamant to never DP as you are to never auto-combo? Because the former is a much more important thing to learn. Auto-combos are weaker than other kinds of BnBs, so as one would improve their neutral game, blocking, etc., they'd naturally want to learn more advanced combos in the process, or even come across them naturally.

Edit: Made it to #1 global Adachi in terms of PSR! I have a feeling that this PSR system might be strange again, so that one stops gaining any after a certain number of matches.

Xenoflare

First thing's first: anyone who talks as though the auto-combo is "cheap" or complains about someone using it too much doesn't know what they're talking and/or is an idiot. I suppose I can see one starting to use it too much as a crutch, but there are far more important things to adapt to in the game before learning advanced combos, so the auto-combo system helps with that.

Are you as adamant to never DP as you are to never auto-combo? Because the former is a much more important thing to learn. Auto-combos are weaker than other kinds of BnBs, so as one would improve their neutral game, blocking, etc., they'd naturally want to learn more advanced combos in the process, or even come across them naturally.

Edit: Made it to #1 global Adachi in terms of PSR! I have a feeling that this PSR system might be strange again, so that one stops gaining any after a certain number of matches.

I often find myself relying on Elizabeth's Auto combo to bufu and spam AoA. I am not proud of myself. I also spam 5B like a madman when I'm nervous.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to do her chanllege 15(?) correctly. 2C-Bufu-B-Mind Charge B-5D. I can't chain the 5D grab and I have trouble landing that bufu.

Also congratz on making it to the top!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Playing with AI even at risky is nothing compared to playing as a real person, even with a shitty player. The AI is just very aggressive on the offensive side.

Really? It isn't as bad as Yosuke Score Attack in the previous outing?

I still haven't beaten Score Attack there. T_T

Xenoflare

Score attack in the P4A, (in ultimax too) grants AI boss properties such as always active sukukaja, all attacks freezes you, all attack is unblockable. "true" Diarahan and one hit Megidolaon. So they have an unfair advantage compared to the player.

It's better in ultimax since there are multiple courses of different diffculties, but the boss properties are still there for higher difficulties. SA on normal for example is a mix of 2/3 normal arcade difficulty fight + 1/3 boss character fights.

FluxWaveZ

Well, P4A Score Attack is a different beast, but I could beat that mode with every character because AI is still predicable and can be easily exploited. Yep, still nothing compared to fighting real people.

TheSeks

Well, P4A Score Attack is a different beast, but I could beat that mode with every character because AI is still predicable and can be easily exploited. Yep, still nothing compared to fighting real people.

I'm impressed you were able to exploit the AI. Yosuke completely wrecked me unless I played a turtle game. Then I get wrecked by Naoto's Hama/Mudo.

Xenoflare

Exactly, people react differently online, there is a mind game part playing with AI that absent when playing them.
The worst feeling that both of your opponent is both about to die but the two characters are on opposite side of the screens. Everyone start spammin' projectiles <3

SB Maziodyne+SB Diarahan+Noob=Love

Xenoflare

I'm impressed you were able to exploit the AI. Yosuke completely wrecked me unless I played a turtle game. Then I get wrecked by Naoto's Hama/Mudo.

You know you can abuse
the pause screen? I'm sure there is a guide for it explaining all of the AI's patterns.

FluxWaveZ

You know you can abuse
the pause screen? I'm sure there is a guide for it explaining all of the AI's patterns.

That's not going to help much if one can't get past the second opponent in P4A's SA. The trick was mainly useful when it came to Elizabeth; had to resort to that with a few characters.

Xenoflare

That's not going to help much if one can't get past the second opponent in P4A's SA. The trick was mainly useful when it came to Elizabeth; had to resort to that with a few characters.

I remember there is a video guide that showed how to beat the original SA with Naoto and Elizabeth.

Naoto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7bb1xT-fww

Liz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT0eWruocZk

Hope this'll help, I find the two videos are quite entertaining in their own way too.

FluxWaveZ

I remember there is a video guide that showed how to beat the original SA with Naoto and Elizabeth.

Hope this'll help, I find the two videos are quite entertaining in their own way too.

I meant playing against Naoto and Elizabeth (since TheSeks says he couldn't get past Naoto). I suppose I didn't really look into exploiting the AI extensively since I just winged it for the trophy, so I guess those videos or tricks might be more useful than I think.

Xenoflare

I meant playing against Naoto and Elizabeth (since TheSeks says he couldn't get past Naoto). I suppose I didn't really look into exploiting the AI extensively since I just winged it for the trophy, so I guess those videos or tricks might be more useful than I think.

I know that's what you meant, but I just wanted to show TheSeks the videos that I found that were helpful for me.

No I didn't manage to beat final Liz sorry

Zareka

Uh...what does DP mean? I'm also not sure what BnBs are either. I'm completely new to all this. But yeah, I get you. I've started throwing in some auto combos for now until I acclimate myself with the game some more and it is helping. I'm not exclusively using the square button either, though.

Elizabeth can die in a fire. Also, what's with every Akihiko player I come across spamming the exact same combo over and over?

Steel

Banned
I am kind of handicapping myself, since I almost refuse to use the square button. I feel like relying on auto combo is only going to slow down my progress.

I'd like to say that's probably the right way to go, but the square button would get you a few wins in online fights. I generally limit myself in fighting games too though, I never use throws or ring outs, for example.

Xenoflare

Elizabeth can die in a fire. Also, what's with every Akihiko player I come across spamming the exact same combo over and over?

Elizabeth is the easiest character to crush, I play as her heh heh.

She's the only character that I know how to deal with considering how much time I spend playing as her.

But I think Flux will give you better tips since he's at a much higher level of play.

FluxWaveZ

I'd like to say that's probably the right way to go, but the square button would get you a few wins in online fights. I generally limit myself in fighting games too though, I never use throws or ring outs, for example.

Worst advice. Seriously.

Xenoflare

I somewhat understand the autocombo part, but no throws or ringouts? That's.... a bit extreme.

Uh...what does DP mean? I'm also not sure what BnBs are either. I'm completely new to all this. But yeah, I get you. I've started throwing in some auto combos for now until I acclimate myself with the game some more and it is helping. I'm not exclusively using the square button either, though.

DP stands for dragon punch, its a common move usually requiring a 623 input (forward, down, downforward). Its named after Ryu's Shoryuken if i remember corredctly. Its basically any move thats used to counter incoming attacks, usually arial. In persona 4 arena every character has their own form of this skill, but instead of it being mapped to 623, its B+D, real simple like. Some of these dont work like a classic dragon punch (though Yu's is basically identical) they all work as a counter attack.

BnBs are your bread n butter combos. They are the first and most important combo to learn for each character. They usually do decent damage, often the best damage off of your simple starters without meter, and arent very strict on timing.

Steel

Banned
I somewhat understand the autocombo part, but no throws or ringouts? That's.... a bit extreme.

I get away with it in most fighters. It's definitely a handicap, though. I don't do it to improve my play, I just hate when other people spam ring outs or throws when they're available, so I don't use them. In something like P4U throws aren't really cheap at all though.

Worst advice. Seriously.

I basically said that you're better off using the auto-combo, I can just understand handicapping yourself in fighters.

Xenoflare

DP stands for dragon punch, its a common move usually requiring a 623 input (forward, down, downforward). Its named after Ryu's Shoryuken if i remember corredctly. Its basically any move thats used to counter incoming attacks, usually arial. In persona 4 arena every character has their own form of this skill, but instead of it being mapped to 623, its B+C, real simple like. Some of these dont work like a classic dragon punch (though Yu's is basically identical) they all work as a counter attack.

BnBs are your bread n butter combos. They are the first and most important combo to learn for each character. They usually do decent damage, often the best damage off of your simple starters without meter, and arent very strict on timing.

By the by I think I saw you in the beginner's lobby today! With a golden plate beside your name!

Xenoflare

Im yellow. I was trying to figure out how to win without abusing j.C as marie today, it wasnt going well.

I got crushed by Marie's j.C and Minazuki's teleport attacks today as usual. I made two players frustrated at me in the end because SB Maziodyne is the best drug on earth against people doesn't know that move hits twice, they would fall for it even after me use it repeatedly to corner them so I can fetch them back with Maragidyne.

I think my handicap is probably to stop spamming dem SB zios.

To people having trouble dealing with Liz's Zios, her A version (the most abused version appreantly), only hits once and a nicely timed evasive action can avoid it and it has a long recovery. Her B version is a bit tricky since I've seen people using the high jump dash but still got hit by it. SB version shocks you so I guess blocking it would be the case?

In her awakening form. A version has a (slightly reduced?) start up and the beam is much smaller but it causes wall bounce and hits you closer to her with a longer recovery. Her B version how has a long ass startup but covers the whole screen, SB is bascially her normal SB version x 2.

Also what's the deal with Marge's sweep? It seems like it will land a hit if you are on ground.

TheSeks

Also what's the deal with Marge's sweep? It seems like it will land a hit if you are on ground.

You mean her universal "sweep" 2A+B? It does. Like Akihiko's. And a few other characters IIRC. Not a good "OTG"/Off the Ground starter though since it just resets them to knock-down.

FluxWaveZ

You mean her universal "sweep" 2A+B? It does. Like Akihiko's. And a few other characters IIRC. Not a good "OTG"/Off the Ground starter though since it just resets them to knock-down.

He means that Margaret's sweep is a full-screen sweep; the only one in the game.

DedValve

Banned
I'm still on the og persona but I really want to get this one so bad. Online is dead, I can't find a decent match anywhere, certainly not anyone within my puny skill range of terrible.

Hows Akihiko in the new one?

Margaret's sweep is like Potemkin's slide head only you can block it. It hits the whole floor.

You can combo into it off a 2A counter hit. Marge can do 4k midscreen no meter off of a 5B counter hit.

Astarte

I'm still on the og persona but I really want to get this one so bad. Online is dead, I can't find a decent match anywhere, certainly not anyone within my puny skill range of terrible.

Hows Akihiko in the new one?

He shits out horrendous amounts of damage that wreck lives and families.
He aight,

hao chi

Not top tier? I thought he was considered top 5?

Maybe. I know Yu, Yousuke, Minazuki, and Mitsuru are considered the top 4 pretty universally, and Teddie (who last I heard is top 5), Aigis, and apparently Margaret are really good as well (LK even claimed Margaret is better than Mitsuru, though that was also shortly after she released so that could change).

TheSeks

Margaret's sweep is like Potemkin's slide head only you can block it. It hits the whole floor.

You can combo into it off a 2A counter hit. Marge can do 4k midscreen no meter off of a 5B counter hit.

You mean that 236B move (or was it 214B?) I only messed around with her a little bit to get the "use her 10 times" trophy and haven't put enough time into her yet but yeah that slide command attack is pretty brutal if you don't block. But the B version does an uppercut with the Persona which is highly punishable. If you block the A version a quick jab should stop her from doing Persona attacks or another attempt on it.

Xenoflare

You mean that 236B move (or was it 214B?) I only messed around with her a little bit to get the "use her 10 times" trophy and haven't put enough time into her yet but yeah that slide command attack is pretty brutal if you don't block. But the B version does an uppercut with the Persona which is highly punishable. If you block the A version a quick jab should stop her from doing Persona attacks or another attempt on it.

Her 2AB. Where she slams the ground with her compendium. As you said earlier.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe. I know Yu, Yousuke, Minazuki, and Mitsuru are considered the top 4 pretty universally, and Teddie (who last I heard is top 5), Aigis, and apparently Margaret are really good as well (LK even claimed Margaret is better than Mitsuru).

What I've always heard pre-console release was Yu, Yosuke, Minazuki, Shadow Labrys and Teddie, and I had heard that Akihiko was also one of the top characters recently, possibly because of Arc Revo performance (mainly attributed to Domi).

EMT0

Banned
After typing that post, I get my ass beaten about five times, then win two games in a row(?!) then proceed to get destroyed on the next game and barely pull off any damage at all.

.-.

TheSeks

Her 2AB. Where she slams the ground with her compendium. As you said earlier.

Ah. Got you. Wasn't sure if you meant the command move the the universal given the "bigger sweep."

Huh. Weird. Never noticed it having that. Guess I should abuse it. Hohoho.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I added some of you. If I didn't, my PSN ID is Jotamide. Still trying to find a main.

Top Bottom