• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

I added some of you. If I didn't, my PSN ID is Jotamide. Still trying to find a main.

i think im rrdragon88 on psn

and yukiko can't dia's teddie's awakening and he can SB it? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF that shit does so much damage. I fucked up both times by super jumping instead of jumping then delay double jump airdash d or whatever
So Dia is no longer invincible to Teddie Circus, huh.

F U are you done for tonight lol

Wow, Margaret is so damn fun to play.

I was expecting Adachi to be my main pre-release but one night with Margaret has converted me.

FluxWaveZ

Wait no, that can't be right... I could have sworn I blocked a Teddie Circus using Shadow Yukiko recently. Gonna have to go to Training Mode after I'm done with matches.

Xenoflare

Ah. Got you. Wasn't sure if you meant the command move the the universal given the "bigger sweep."

Huh. Weird. Never noticed it having that. Guess I should abuse it. Hohoho.

Yeah, I'm practicing with Liz and using Marge at 100 AI. (not the greatest idea) and her sweep messes me up. That move is really good at shaving Liz's persona cards.

Steel

Banned
Here's a question, how does the card color work in the lobbie anyway? I know white is a complete newb, greens seem to be relatively easy to beat, and yellows seem to be more advanced players. What order does it go in?

Xenoflare

Here's a question, how does the card color work in the lobbie anyway? I know white is a complete newb, greens seem to be relatively easy to beat, and yellows seem to be more advanced players. What order does it go in?

IIRC there is a color legend for it in the manual.

From strongest to weakest.

Red-Orange-Yellow-Yellow Green-Green-Purple-Light Blue.

I think white means the player didn't fight enough matches to have a color.

Of course, I believe the colors are editable so it doesn't always reflect the player skill

I'm a yellow green, for example.

FluxWaveZ

Light Blue > Dark Blue > Dark Green > Light Green > Yellow > Orange > Red

White means one hasn't played enough to be attributed a color.

Of course, I believe the colors are editable so it doesn't always reflect the player skill.

The colors are not editable.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
i think im rrdragon88 on psn

and yukiko can't dia's teddie's awakening and he can SB it? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF that shit does so much damage. I fucked up both times by super jumping instead of jumping then delay double jump airdash d or whatever

F U are you done for tonight lol
Sent you an invite!

FluxWaveZ

I hi-jump and use Margarudyne. 3/4 sucess rate with Elizabeth.

Teddie Circus isn't really supposed to be difficult to avoid. Just go to Training mode for a few minutes and you'll see how you can easily dodge it. It just requires a high jump > air dash forward.

And yep, I recalled wrong, 'cause Dia isn't invulnerable to Teddie Circus like it was before. Huh.

FluxWaveZ

Screw all characters who are constantly in my face with crap. This includes Kanji, Sho, Akihiko, Yosuke, Chie, Ken, Teddie... most characters, really. I wish defending properly was nearly as satisfying as being on the offense.

I wish defending properly was nearly as satisfying as being on the offense.
Play street fighter or possibly Uniel which rewards you for blocking.

As a casual observer to me it seems the person who is applying pressure is in a much better position thanks to how few openings block strings and the mix up opportunities allowed to the attacker. If you defense isn't impeccable then it's only a matter of time you get opened up and eat half a life bar worth of damage because you can convert from any touch.

Then again what do I know, I lost almost every single match I played today. It was probably a bad idea to try and do anything before bed.

FluxWaveZ

Play street fighter or possibly Uniel which rewards you for blocking.

The game that introduced me to fighting games was SFIV. I don't really recall how it was in there, though, but I guess an opponent's pressure wasn't as oppressive in that game compared to my experience with BlazBlue and Persona.

I'm surprised Aigis is the least played non-Shadow character.

She's probably still the most technical character in the roster, so it's not too surprising. Even in P4A, she wasn't played much online; she's played more locally and in tournaments.

There are a bunch of characters now, though, so it's probably very relative. Out of the 2.6k matches I've played, I've actually barely seen any Chies, Aigis' or Elizabeths.

Busaiku

Just going by the character rankings.
Obviously it's not the best indicator, but probably the closest.

I haven't run into any.
I barely run into Yu though.

The game that introduced me to fighting games was SFIV. I don't really recall how it was in there, though, but I guess an opponent's pressure wasn't as oppressive in that game compared to my experience with BlazBlue and Persona.

Depends on the characters. There are a few combo heavy characters with relentless block strings, I think Yun and Dudley might fall into that category. However the faster exchanges with shorter combos and a bigger focus on reads and correct guesses probably make SF a more satisfying game to play defensively since your opportunities to do something come more often and are possibly more rewarding.

Then again, the hell do I know about fighting games, I suck at them. I only play EXVS.

Edit: Then again in SF4 there is a stun gauge that doesn't go down when you block, full screen projectile spam, and other nonsense like any fighting game.

Xenoflare

The beginner's lobby is full of Adachi, Persona Sho and Ken.

I've seen a few Rise's and Marie's too. But those three characters take the top three spots for me.

Rhapsody

Banned
Screw all characters who are constantly in my face with crap. This includes Kanji, Sho, Akihiko, Yosuke, Chie, Ken, Teddie... most characters, really. I wish defending properly was nearly as satisfying as being on the offense.

I feel like barrier would help the game. Although barrier makes the game complicated for newcomers, I feel like the game needs something. At the moment, a lot of the times it's either risk DP/roll, use meter, hope you tech that throw or they screw up.

It's a shame since I really do like when things are in neutral or how short combos are.

Steel

Banned
Just going by the character rankings.
Obviously it's not the best indicator, but probably the closest.

I haven't run into any.
I barely run into Yu though.

Yeah. 90% of what I've run into today were Margarets. Saw quite a few Junpei's too, actually.

ok im getting some rust out.

Teddie's circus thing isn't difficult but it is annoying. I hate the design. Basically a scrubkiller/gimmick. Its the same thing with yu's awakening. Like yeah, you can avoid it but no person new to fighting game is going to try rolling through it or instant blocking.

I dislike how yukikos agi is higher up. But i haven't seen any of the new stuff that has been affected so im going to wait it out.

I gotta learn to use 214A/B with yukiko. Not sure when to use it and what application it has. Like why would I end a combo with 214 A/B when I can setup Agi?

Tomorrow i'll try yukari

Rhapsody

Banned
I thought only the first few frames of Dia were invincible. Should test it out in training mode.

IIRC, in the first game it was invincible to all projectiles as long as it was held. I guess either Teddie Circus isn't projectile property (pretty sure it still is), or that Yukiko's projectile invul disappears after a certain time in this game.
Seeing FluxWaveZ in the lobby made me do a 180 and walk the fuck out. Intimidation too strong

image.php

hao chi

dia is completely projectile invul, teddie circus was a projectile or they nerfed dia (why?)

Teddie Circus is no longer a projectile. It sucks; I loved Dia'ing through it against less knowledgeable Teddie players.

I don't really know why they changed that. My best guess is because Junpei can bat all projectiles back, and that'd mess with the Teddie Circus too much for Arc's liking.

Anne

Aigis too intimidating for NA players, even though she's actually not that hard at ll -_-

Also, if you have trouble on defense learn your defensive OSes. Kanji mix up and pressure for example is weak as hell if you know them (outside of oki, he still gets RPS on oki).

Also, if you're wondering how squares go, pretty sure it's something like you need x more wins than losses against squares of the same color to go up, and x less losses makes you go down. Number is somewhere around 10, I've got a couple red square accounts this way. Also, the bulk of your PSR from ranked comes form your first 100~ matches, so if you happen to do well early on you can load up on PSR.

Teddie Circus is no longer a projectile. It sucks; I loved Dia'ing through it against less knowledgeable Teddie players.

I don't really know why they changed that. My best guess is because Junpei can bat all projectiles back, and that'd mess with the Teddie Circus too much for Arc's liking.

would be easy i think to change that. All you have to do is make an exception. I'm sure yukiko's awakening is a projectile and he can't bat that.

I just dislike badly design supers. Like what is the use? Its not going to hit good players, and is only good at kill scrubs or people who forget how to deal with it. I would be completely okay with it if they nerfed the damage and made it more viable to his gameplan. At the moment its pretty much wake-up/reversal super that does more 50% against newcomers.

And worse of all, it got BUFFED. He has an awakening version and comes back again. Its literally a gimmick. I would be fine if his gameplan revolved around that atleast for setups, but you can't really set it up either for the most part. I think it did more than half my health rofl.

Anne

would be easy i think to change that. All you have to do is make an exception. I'm sure yukiko's awakening is a projectile and he can't bat that.

I just dislike badly design supers. Like what is the use? Its not going to hit good players, and is only good at kill scrubs or people who forget how to deal with it. I would be completely okay with it if they nerfed the damage and made it more viable to his gameplan. At the moment its pretty much wake-up/reversal super that does more 50% against newcomers.

And worse of all, it got BUFFED. He has an awakening version and comes back again. Its literally a gimmick. I would be fine if his gameplan revolved around that atleast for setups, but you can't really set it up either for the most part. I think it did more than half my health rofl.

In the first game there were legitimate unblockable set ups he could use it in to get lots of unscaled damage. It had a use.

Busaiku

Oil Drum, Amagiya Buckets, and Key Bike are the easiest ways to lock someone down.
Another buff to Circus Bear, which isn't directly from the move itself, is that his All Out Attack can be done in the air.

FluxWaveZ

Seeing FluxWaveZ in the lobby made me do a 180 and walk the fuck out. Intimidation too strong

Ha, why! We could have just gone for a few, if you told me.

It's too late right now, but I'm down to play with some of you guys tomorrow night.

Yeah, I'm up for some matches tomorrow.

Also, if you have trouble on defense learn your defensive OSes. Kanji mix up and pressure for example is weak as hell if you know them (outside of oki, he still gets RPS on oki).

About Kanji, I had just finished a set against someone where I won most matches with Adachi, but anytime I would get knocked down the RPS was a struggle. I was tired, but even when I'm thinking straight, I just feel real uncomfortable waking up from a knock down with my opponent standing right on top of me.

That Lord Knight video you talked about before seems to cover some of the OS stuff. That's an area I have very little knowledge of, so I think I'll actually have to look into this, when I was avoiding it because I didn't think it'd be something to apply at my level of play.

In the first game there were legitimate unblockable set ups he could use it in to get lots of unscaled damage. It had a use.

hmmm might of stopped following persona by then or didn't see it. Meh, I just dislike the design of the move, just like I dislike kanji's design. Not sure if p4u is better (haven't seen much of anything of p4u kanji outside combo videos)

anybody know the applications for 214 A/B for Yukiko? Like why would you use it?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm gonna stick with Margaret. While dabbling a bit with Marie was fun, Margaret has such fun combos and air game. There's a lot of versatility in her attacks.

hao chi

anybody know the applications for 214 A/B for Yukiko? Like why would you use it?

Combo filler. Her new 25 SP BnB is: 5AA > 5B > 5C > 2C > 214A+B > (small delay) 2C > 214B > (small delay) 5C > 214A (Maragidyne D finisher, Agidyne also probably works as well).

Hilariously enough, that combo doesn't work when Yukiko starts with her back to the corner.

Edit: Agidyne C dropped for me, so unless I somehow did that wrong, that's not a finisher option for that combo.

FluxWaveZ

hmmm might of stopped following persona by then or didn't see it. Meh, I just dislike the design of the move, just like I dislike kanji's design. Not sure if p4u is better (haven't seen much of anything of p4u kanji outside combo videos)

A lot of standard Teddie combos use Teddie Circus. It's only a gimmick when it's used as such. Not to mention its use during screen pollution, which is made ever more effective in P4AU.

I don't see the problem with Kanji's design in P4A, but he's much stronger in P4AU.

214A/B is an extremely standard/common combo extender.

Anne

Ha, why! We could have just gone for a few, if you told me.

Yeah, I'm up for some matches tomorrow.

About Kanji, I had just finished a set against someone where I won most matches with Adachi, but anytime I would get knocked down the RPS was a struggle. I was tired, but even when I'm thinking straight, I just feel real uncomfortable waking up from a knock down with my opponent standing right on top of me.

That Lord Knight video you talked about before seems to cover some of the OS stuff. That's an area I have very little knowledge of, so I think I'll actually have to look into this, when I was avoiding it because I didn't think it'd be something to apply at my level of play.

YMST made a doc that had all the anti Kanji stuff in it, but Japanese and all that. Pressure is pretty wild in this game but almost all of NA will die to OSes since they're painfully unaware of them. Once you get to the point of checking for OSes and playing around them it gets really wild, but less than 1% of NA players actively do that right now.

Lemstar

What I've always heard pre-console release was Yu, Yosuke, Minazuki, Shadow Labrys and Teddie, and I had heard that Akihiko was also one of the top characters recently, possibly because of Arc Revo performance (mainly attributed to Domi).

Only two Akihikos qualified and they both lost in the first round. (Albeit, they lost to the eventual top two.)

If anything, I'm pretty sure it was that Souji tier list where he put Akihiko just below Narukami/Yosuke that started the whole line of discussion. Does anyone else rate him even close to that high?

Top Bottom