• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Anne

Only two Akihikos qualified and they both lost in the first round. (Albeit, they lost to the eventual top two.)

If anything, I'm pretty sure it was that Souji tier list where he put Akihiko just below Narukami/Yosuke that started the whole line of discussion. Does anyone else rate him even close to that high?

We tend to rate him pretty high, but not that high. Yu, Yosuke, Minazuki, Aigis, Mits, Teddie etc. tend to be named before him. He's pretty strong though. YMST's list is the one that seems to be most similarly to others and he puts him under those characters and Sho.

Edit: That list was published by Arcadia and got it's exposure over here from Ehubs, go figure.

FluxWaveZ

Only two Akihikos qualified and they both lost in the first round. (Albeit, they lost to the eventual top two.)

If anything, I'm pretty sure it was that Souji tier list where he put Akihiko just below Narukami/Yosuke that started the whole line of discussion. Does anyone else rate him even close to that high?

Hm, I guess that the opinion was only from a handful of people, then. I also heard about Akihiko from Jiyuna, Xie and Good Loser.

Either way, man that dude hits hard.

So i've been messing with Rise because i like her lockdown (and her sprite is adorable >.> ) and..

Also, here's an even easier combo that you can also do:

5AA > 2B (2) > 5B > 2A+B > 236C+D > 5C (2) > (bit delayed) 214B > 5AA > 2A+B > meaty 236B (2839 dmg)

Anyone have any tips to landing stuff after the 236C+D bit in her combos? I keep getting invalid ones.

hao chi

So i've been messing with Rise because i like her lockdown (and her sprite is adorable >.> ) and..

Anyone have any tips to landing stuff after the 236C+D bit in her combos? I keep getting invalid ones.

For the 5C, you should press the button as the Platinum Disc is returning and has them at about the halfway point between Rise and the disc's furthest returning point.

For the 214B, it should hit a bit after the second hit of 5C.

BTW, sounds like you're getting yellow beats. If so, you should turn on ground and air recovery for the training dummy. Helps with getting back to practicing combos faster whenever you drop one.

For the 5C, you should press the button as the Platinum Disc is returning and has them at about the halfway point between Rise and the disc's furthest returning point.

For the 214B, it should hit a bit after the second hit of 5C.

BTW, sounds like you're getting yellow beats. If so, you should turn on ground and air recovery for the training dummy. Helps with getting back to practicing combos faster whenever you drop one.

Thanks, i'll give it a try! (Yes, i was getting yellow beats.)

hao chi

Thanks, i'll give it a try! (Yes, i was getting yellow beats.)

One thing I should add is if the 214B hits after 5C (2) and they tech out before you can hit them with 5AA following their wallbounce, you should delay it a bit more. The timing isn't too hard to get down, but it's not too lenient either.

Edit: And from testing it a bit more, if the 5AA after the wallbounce hits but the sweep whiffs, the 214B connected too late.

I should also add that you can end with 5AAA > 214A > (slight delay) 236236A/B as well. (4060 dmg with the B version)

ZeroX03

Banned
Does anyone have a high res version of this image? Dug this out of the save data, tried to Google image search but couldn't find it. Want to wallpaper this bad boy.

F5Q2WXN.png

I just got my copy in the mail today and I forgot the free character DLC was only good for one week. >_<

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Mbrill82

I just got my copy in the mail today and I forgot the free character DLC was only good for one week. >_<

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Even worse I've had the game since release day (pre-ordered from Amazon months ago) but I didn't have a chance to play until last night and I completely forgot to download the 2 free DLC characters last week. There's another $10 down the drain.

I have a question, why doesn't "Episode P3" show up as a Story mode option? All I see is "episode P4A"

Edit: Nvm, just found my answer

Zareka

Elizabeth is the easiest character to crush, I play as her heh heh.

She's the only character that I know how to deal with considering how much time I spend playing as her.

But I think Flux will give you better tips since he's at a much higher level of play.

She spams that purple lightning stuff at me constantly in Arcade Mode and same goes for online. As a noob Sho player I can barely get in close enough to hit.

And I'm definitely taking in all the tips Flux and the rest of you are giving me. Apart from Smash, I've nothing else to play till the end of the month so I think I'm going to use that time to try and get at least semi-decent at Ultimax with a character, between college work.
What combos? I abuse the auto-combo. ;_;
The one where he takes you in to the air and starts teleporting around the place while laying in to you. Every single Akihiko I've played again has spent the entire match spamming that, lol.
DP stands for dragon punch, its a common move usually requiring a 623 input (forward, down, downforward). Its named after Ryu's Shoryuken if i remember corredctly. Its basically any move thats used to counter incoming attacks, usually arial. In persona 4 arena every character has their own form of this skill, but instead of it being mapped to 623, its B+D, real simple like. Some of these dont work like a classic dragon punch (though Yu's is basically identical) they all work as a counter attack.

BnBs are your bread n butter combos. They are the first and most important combo to learn for each character. They usually do decent damage, often the best damage off of your simple starters without meter, and arent very strict on timing.
Thank you for explaining all of the terminology! I'm really bad when it comes to these things for fighting games, so it's good to know what everyone's talking about (especially stuff like A/B/D/C in place of X/O etc). It's good to know about the counter move too. I had no idea that every character had something like that.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. :)

She spams that purple lightning stuff at me constantly in Arcade Mode and same goes for online. As a noob Sho player I can barely get in close enough to hit.

Minazuki's B survival knife throw can punish a lot of fullscreen persona spam, Sho could probably do the same. Don't know if its quick enough to punish Elizabeth.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So to unlock other navigators, I just gotta clear Score Attack Mode on any difficulty, right?

..........& it DOESN'T have to be the hardest one? Because damn, I could barely get past the first or second fight in P4A.

FluxWaveZ

So to unlock other navigators, I just gotta clear Score Attack Mode on any difficulty, right?

..........& it DOESN'T have to be the hardest one? Because damn, I could barely get past the first or second fight in P4A.

All courses on Risky need to be cleared to unlock the respective navigator.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
UUUGGGHHHH. At least you can actually continue this time around.

& phew, Margaret's only 2.7MB on PSN. I was fearing she'd be 500MB+ like on Xbox Live.

Zareka

Minazuki's B survival knife throw can punish a lot of fullscreen persona spam, Sho could probably do the same. Don't know if its quick enough to punish Elizabeth.
I'm trying to pull off the survival knife move in training but I have no idea what it means by "charge" for one of the directions. I've tried holding it and stuff but I don't think that's right.

Saikyo

Its way better now to unlock the navigators, vanilla arena was awful, no continues or the player 2 start trick, you just need to try and try again enough that you can read the AI.

I'm trying to pull off the survival knife move in training but I have no idea what it means by "charge" for one of the directions. I've tried holding it and stuff but I don't think that's right.

Charge means you keep that input going for a specific amount of time. One of the easier ways to do it is to hold down back, so you are charging down and back at the same time but you also don't have to move back. Although that's mainly for street fighter where some characters have a projectile that's charged back and a DP that's charged down so you hold down back and after a couple of seconds both special moves become available to you.

From the dustloop wiki
Sho throws out a combat knife at the opponent. Speed and height of the knife depend on the button used. A: Aims near the chest, slow. Whiffs on crouching opponents. B: Aims near the legs, slow. C: Aims near the chest, fast. Whiffs on crouching opponents. D: Aims near the legs, fast. SB ver A+B: Throws two knives. High knife travels slow, low knife travels fast. SB ver C+D: Throws two knives. High knife travels fast, low knife travels slow.

Zareka

Charge means you keep that input going for a specific amount of time. One of the easier ways to do it is to hold down back, so you are charging down and back at the same time but you also don't have to move back. Although that's mainly for street fighter where some characters have a projectile that's charged back and a DP that's charged down so you hold down back and after a couple of seconds both special moves become available to you.

From the dustloop wiki

Hmm...even with down back I can't seem to get the timing right at all. I just keep flailing my swords around. Thank you, though! I'll keep trying. Edit: got it! You have to hold back way longer than I thought.

It doesn't seem like anyone wants to fight me in the lobbies...that's the third person to give my an "I can't!" or a droopy water emote. :(

Hmm...even with down back I can't seem to get the timing right at all. I just keep flailing my swords around. Thank you, though! I'll keep trying.
I couldn't find the specific amount of time that you have to hold the input for, so just try holding it to a count of two, then three, until you find the time that works for you.

Edit: Oh you got it, nice. Although I am not sure why Sho has a charge projectile when he seems like a rush down and mixup character.

I couldn't find the specific amount of time that you have to hold the input for, so just try holding it to a count of two, then three, until you find the time that works for you.

Edit: Oh you got it, nice. Although I am not sure why Sho has a charge projectile when he seems like a rush down and mixup character.
There's no SRK inputs so it's to prevent input overlaps.

Nyoro SF

Hmm...even with down back I can't seem to get the timing right at all. I just keep flailing my swords around. Thank you, though! I'll keep trying. Edit: got it! You have to hold back way longer than I thought.

It doesn't seem like anyone wants to fight me in the lobbies...that's the third person to give my an "I can't!" or a droopy water emote. :(

If that's the case usually it's because of your connection quality. I try to avoid 0 and 1-bar fights if I can. At those connections it kind of ceases to be a fighting game and becomes a flailing game.

Zareka

If that's the case usually it's because of your connection quality. I try to avoid 0 and 1-bar fights if I can. At those connections it kind of ceases to be a fighting game and becomes a flailing game.
That's probably it then. Everyone around me shows 0 bars, but everyone I've fought with has been a perfect, lag free match. That's why I thought it might've been something else.

Jesus Christ, Shadow Naoto is cheap as hell. Shadow rage followed by infinite special move spam.

That's probably it then. Everyone around me shows 0 bars, but everyone I've fought with has been a perfect, lag free match. That's why I thought it might've been something else.

Jesus Christ, Shadow Naoto is cheap as hell. Shadow rage followed by infinite special move spam.

Yeah some of the Shadows can bust out pretty crazy damage. I saw a guy on LordKnight's stream last night who used S. Naoto and did the super loop until he could instant kill then went for two mixups for the kill. He was on like a 19 win streak before I stopped watching. Most of the Shadows aren't really worth playing but S. Chie, S. Mitsuru, and S. Naoto all seem really strong.

You really just have to play aggressive against them as much as possible. Shadows can't burst so you have to make every hit count.

Zareka

Yeah some of the Shadows can bust out pretty crazy damage. I saw a guy on LordKnight's stream last night who used S. Naoto and did the super loop until he could instant kill then went for two mixups for the kill. He was on like a 19 win streak before I stopped watching. Most of the Shadows aren't really worth playing but S. Chie, S. Mitsuru, and S. Naoto all seem really strong.

You really just have to play aggressive against them as much as possible. Shadows can't burst so you have to make every hit count.

Yeah, I was trying to keep him smacking on him as much as possible and I did a decent amount of damage, but as soon as they went in to rage mode and got the first special on me there was absolutely nothing I could do. All my HP in one go.

So after a few hours of play today, I won maybe...3 out of ~15 matches. It seems I can hold my own against most F ranks, but anything above that and I get trashed. I don't know how people manage to pull off these long combos considering the speed, inputs etc. you have to pull off, all the while adapting and just generally considering all the variables when you're playing against another human. There's no way I'll ever hit that stage.

Also, I did notice today that, even when I got decent combos (I don't know if I can really call them that) going, at the end of it I was still doing pathetically little damage. Is Sho just not a hard hitter? Everyone else was slashing my HP in a couple shots.

FluxWaveZ

Also, I did notice today that, even when I got decent combos (I don't know if I can really call them that) going, at the end of it I was still doing pathetically little damage. Is Sho just not a hard hitter? Everyone else was slashing my HP in a couple shots.

What were the combo routes? What was the damage? What were the starters? Maybe they were invalid combos? You can go to training mode and assert what those combos were, exactly.

Sho hits hard. You also might be overestimating the length of the combos of the people you're going up against. Most of the time, they'll be normal BnBs. They're easy to pull off once one learns when to do which.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The one where he takes you in to the air and starts teleporting around the place while laying in to you. Every single Akihiko I've played again has spent the entire match spamming that, lol.

That is his (new) auto-combo. Unless you're playing a Shadow Akihiko which uses the old auto-combo which is mash mash mash circle around them... TIGER UPPERCUT. As opposed to that teleporting around them juggle into the air TIGER UPPERCUT ending.

As it is, it's the one guaranteed "2 Level" cyclone combo for a bunch of new people. You have to put a bunch of time into learning higher level combos to get past that point. In fact it was just yesterday I found a sick 236B->4A->6A->4A->6B sort of combo using the hook enders since apparently you can extend those in P4U2 (I can't recall that being possibile in the first for Akihiko) which builds the Cyclone meter to 4.

But after you end that combo the 4 goes back to 0. So a lot of people just use the auto-combo instead of worrying about the block/combo strings.

Either way, man that dude hits hard.

If we can get in. IF we can get in. ;___;

Still apt.

Yeah, I was trying to keep him smacking on him as much as possible and I did a decent amount of damage, but as soon as they went in to rage mode and got the first special on me there was absolutely nothing I could do. All my HP in one go.

So after a few hours of play today, I won maybe...3 out of ~15 matches. It seems I can hold my own against most F ranks, but anything above that and I get trashed. I don't know how people manage to pull off these long combos considering the speed, inputs etc. you have to pull off, all the while adapting and just generally considering all the variables when you're playing against another human. There's no way I'll ever hit that stage.

sucessfully hit confirming into a combo is one of the hardest things to get down in a fighting game. I'm still terrible at it. Luckily Marie's j.C starter is incredibly easy to confirm

Pics_nao

I just realized I've been playing Minazuki completely wrong. I'm not doing his optimal combo routes. His basic bnbs have helped me out a lot but damn. Time to hit the lab.

I just realized I've been playing Minazuki completely wrong. I'm not doing his optimal combo routes. His basic bnbs have helped me out a lot but damn. Time to hit the lab.

His BnBs are still his BnBs, its just the finishers are different.

5A > 5AA > 5B > 2B > 214B > 4B > BD > j.BD > 236236D is super easy at the cost of blue life but the more optimal combo is just

5A > 5AA > 5B > 2B > 214B > 4B > BD > 236236C > dash > stuff I didn't learn yet.

After that it seems the things you need to learn are optimal use of resources like one more burst and adding more supers into the combo for more damage.

Just fought my first Rise online and I had no idea what was even happening except I lost and there were lots of bright colors. Also people need to start choosing random stage and random BGM.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a direct link to the P4AU GAF google docs sign-up form, let's try to gather all our PSN IDs there. I organized a spreadsheet for Theatrhythm Curtain Call and it worked wonderfully, Flux already put one together so let's use it!

List of players here.

Being able to convert random hits to combos is honestly something that just takes time to get used to. It's always a good idea to go into training mode and mess with the settings and find combos off of random things. Try to practice combos off of ant-air hits, air-to-air hits, counter hits, fatal counters, and hits on crouching opponents.

And definitely check out Dustloop's forum for your character and find some high level matches on youtube or nicovideo. I find watching matches to be very helpful if you're kind of stumped on where to go during an actual match.
Here's a direct link to the P4AU GAF google docs sign-up form, let's try to gather all our PSN IDs there. I organized a spreadsheet for Theatrhythm Curtain Call and it worked wonderfully, Flux already put one together so let's use it!

List of players here.

Thanks for this, I went ahead and added myself.

Flandy

Never played the original Arena. Would I be set if I just picked up the Arena Story DLC? Does it include every character route? There actually any fighting involved or is it just a visual novel?

FluxWaveZ

Never played the original Arena. Would I be set if I just picked up the Arena Story DLC? Does it include every character route? There actually any fighting involved or is it just a visual novel?

It includes every single character route from the original game. There is fighting involved, though it is minimal.

Pics_nao

His BnBs are still his BnBs, its just the finishers are different.

5A > 5AA > 5B > 2B > 214B > 4B > BD > j.BD > 236236D is super easy at the cost of blue life but the more optimal combo is just

5A > 5AA > 5B > 2B > 214B > 4B > BD > 236236C > dash > stuff I didn't learn yet.

After that it seems the things you need to learn are optimal use of resources like one more burst and adding more supers into the combo for more damage.

The problem is that I go brainless when I confirm a hit and just do my basic bnb into super. With the exception of a jB counter hit, I don't know many of his other combos with other starters.

The problem is that I go brainless when I confirm a hit and just do my basic bnb into super. With the exception of a jB counter hit, I don't know many of his other combos with other starters.

Yeah but his combos don't change that much from different starters because they lead into more or less the same things. 2B anti air can go into a standard air combo or into sweep then rekka. On the ground I think its whatever random A or B hit into whatever follow B hit then rekka and so on. Or j.2B then into whatever B on the ground then rekka.

The C and D have more specific combos and punishes I think since you are less likely to be randomly throwing those moves out.

Although I don't think I watched any high level matches, so I could be entirely wrong.

Xenoflare

So I wouldn't be missing out on any story stuff then?

If you purchased the P4A story pack ultimax is basically two games in one in terms of story mode goes

So no, you wouldn't miss anything at all.

Although there might be voice discrepancies since I don't think the old lines were redubbed.....

Zareka

What were the combo routes? What was the damage? What were the starters? Maybe they were invalid combos? You can go to training mode and assert what those combos were, exactly.

Sho hits hard. You also might be overestimating the length of the combos of the people you're going up against. Most of the time, they'll be normal BnBs. They're easy to pull off once one learns when to do which.

Well, like I said it's not much of a planned combo, but it was mostly just going from down x, to normal x to auto combo to x + o, x + o in the air and then repeating or using a special. I was mostly just trying to keep hitting the other person but I might have been going about it wrong. (Also sorry, I'm still not accustomed to the ABCD terminology yet.)

That is his (new) auto-combo. Unless you're playing a Shadow Akihiko which uses the old auto-combo which is mash mash mash circle around them... TIGER UPPERCUT. As opposed to that teleporting around them juggle into the air TIGER UPPERCUT ending.

As it is, it's the one guaranteed "2 Level" cyclone combo for a bunch of new people. You have to put a bunch of time into learning higher level combos to get past that point. In fact it was just yesterday I found a sick 236B->4A->6A->4A->6B sort of combo using the hook enders since apparently you can extend those in P4U2 (I can't recall that being possibile in the first for Akihiko) which builds the Cyclone meter to 4.

But after you end that combo the 4 goes back to 0. So a lot of people just use the auto-combo instead of worrying about the block/combo strings.[/url]
Ah, if it's an autocombo I'll just have to get better and avoid it then. Akihiko is the one I have the most problem with so far.
sucessfully hit confirming into a combo is one of the hardest things to get down in a fighting game. I'm still terrible at it. Luckily Marie's j.C starter is incredibly easy to confirm
I don't even know if I'm hit confirming, I'm just bashing them until they let up their defence lol. I know what hit confirming is though so I need to start incorporating it in to my game. My biggest problem right now is being punished for missed hits etc.
Being able to convert random hits to combos is honestly something that just takes time to get used to. It's always a good idea to go into training mode and mess with the settings and find combos off of random things. Try to practice combos off of ant-air hits, air-to-air hits, counter hits, fatal counters, and hits on crouching opponents.

And definitely check out Dustloop's forum for your character and find some high level matches on youtube or nicovideo. I find watching matches to be very helpful if you're kind of stumped on where to go during an actual match.
I probably do need to spend a lot of time in training actually. I'll look at Dustloop sometime and see what I can work out. Thanks. :)

List of players here.

Added myself~

Uggghhhh. Have been playing all afternoon and evening trying to figure out who to use for realsies.. still no luck. I'm getting extremely poor results with my old characters Labrys and Yukiko. Getting at least -some- wins with other characters though.

Doing fairly well with Rise i think. Ran some people through both lifebars doing nothing but note oki with various kinds of stuff afterwards. This is fun. For me at least. >.>

Also had moderate success with Margaret, who is very weird, and Mitsuru. I do like pokey characters with big normals who can engage from outside other people's threat ranges.. but i dunno. Both of them seem kinda hard to learn?

Top Bottom