• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Anne

I was putting myself on the google doc and accidentally hit enter before I finished orz

Anyways if you didn't know, I help run Dustloop and try to teach and help with people wanting to get better competitively, so lemme know if you need help with anything.

Also had moderate success with Margaret, who is very weird, and Mitsuru. I do like pokey characters with big normals who can engage from outside other people's threat ranges.. but i dunno. Both of them seem kinda hard to learn?

Mitsuru's pretty easy execution wise. You just have to learn how to properly play offense and footsies with her.

If you're interested in Margaret, check out LordKnight's Twitch broadcast from last night. He was playing online and training mode with her and he showed off a lot of good things.

Rhapsody

Banned
Added myself to the list.

Added myself~

Uggghhhh. Have been playing all afternoon and evening trying to figure out who to use for realsies.. still no luck. I'm getting extremely poor results with my old characters Labrys and Yukiko. Getting at least -some- wins with other characters though.

Doing fairly well with Rise i think. Ran some people through both lifebars doing nothing but note oki with various kinds of stuff afterwards. This is fun. For me at least. >.>

Also had moderate success with Margaret, who is very weird, and Mitsuru. I do like pokey characters with big normals who can engage from outside other people's threat ranges.. but i dunno. Both of them seem kinda hard to learn?

Margaret's normals seem weird at first. Once you get used to her buttons, she becomes fairly easy giving you a lot of time to confirm into whatever you want.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I was putting myself on the google doc and accidentally hit enter before I finished orz

Anyways if you didn't know, I help run Dustloop and try to teach and help with people wanting to get better competitively, so lemme know if you need help with anything.

Marie and Margaret cute emoticons plox. :p

Mitsuru's pretty easy execution wise. You just have to learn how to properly play offense and footsies with her.

If you're interested in Margaret, check out LordKnight's Twitch broadcast from last night. He was playing online and training mode with her and he showed off a lot of good things.

Thanks, i'll check it out.

Margaret's normals seem weird at first. Once you get used to her buttons, she becomes fairly easy giving you a lot of time to confirm into whatever you want.

Oh really? If she has confirms into good damage i could see her being very good. Her combo routes seem kinda.. non-obvious so all i've been doing is annoying screen control and getting people to walk into god hand.

Geez, Mitsuru's a real pain in the ass to go up against. On the brightside I feel like Im not as garbage as I was last week which is something I guess.

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks, i'll check it out.

Oh really? If she has confirms into good damage i could see her being very good. Her combo routes seem kinda.. non-obvious so all i've been doing is annoying screen control and getting people to walk into god hand.

Yup. If you just want to get in there, 5B > 5A > 5B > 5C is pretty good. If they're standing, go into 236C. Crouching, go into 236D. Every 236D that works, you can go into 5C j.2C 236C. If they block you can do a variety of things after 5C. Sweep > God Hand, Godhand, 5D, or 236C works. Do 236C if it's against someone that can punish you like Yukari DP.

I suggest learning her counter hit combo since it's especially important for her. Lots of easy damage, and a lot of it can be worked into other combos.

Her damage is pretty high. Counter hit can reach 4.5k damage meterless. Some of her combos involving a jump in can reach 3k or so.

Even worse I've had the game since release day (pre-ordered from Amazon months ago) but I didn't have a chance to play until last night and I completely forgot to download the 2 free DLC characters last week. There's another $10 down the drain.

I have a question, why doesn't "Episode P3" show up as a Story mode option? All I see is "episode P4A"

Edit: Nvm, just found my answer
This game just went on my backlog's backlog because I don't even wanna look at it right now. I don't understand why it was for such a small window of time.

BLARG.

Zareka

Woah, I just won 3 matches in a row. I have no idea what happened but apparently I can block now.

Also, added myself to that list, if anyone wants a scrub to wale on for a while.

FluxWaveZ

Here's a direct link to the P4AU GAF google docs sign-up form, let's try to gather all our PSN IDs there. I organized a spreadsheet for Theatrhythm Curtain Call and it worked wonderfully, Flux already put one together so let's use it!

List of players here.

Thanks for posting this; makes things a bit simpler for matchmaking. I guess I should have given it a bit more exposure.

I'm available to play anyone who wants to right now.

FluxWaveZ

We have a 3 bar, so that's good, but I guess there was a desync. Gonna rehost.

Edit: It happened again? This is weird; could you host it, then?

Guess it's going to break again. Let me try hosting, and if that doesn't work. Either PSN is still messed up or this is just not meant to be.

Edit: I only played Ranked and Lobby matches, but this is a first for me. Weird.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, never seen this happen so consistently. Really strange; I was playing in the Lobby just fine before now. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

Lol I meant this was going to be last.

I wanted to get some sleep before work lol. I hope this was at least somewhat fun for you. Thanks for the games.

UUUUUUUGGHHHHHHH, Margaret. I don't have the reactions to fight her. Hey sure that last persona grapple has a ton of delay on it and you can just jump on reaction, but man I can't do it. I can't tech throws either obviously. Same thing screws me up in Street Fighter 4 where your character is stuck in a block state if you are holding back while a focus attack is being charged. Because I don't know, I guess thats game design for you?

FluxWaveZ

Lol I meant this was going to be last.

I wanted to get some sleep before work lol. I hope this was at least somewhat fun for you. Thanks for the games.

UUUUUUUGGHHHHHHH, Margaret. I don't have the reactions to fight her.

GGs. Ha, yeah, I got that, but I didn't realize they had taken out the default "OK!" response, so I accidentally replied with "OK?"

These sets taught me that I barely know what I'm doing with Sho, although I'm not sure I want to take the time to learn him even a bit more, heh. I do like his dodge mechanic.

I'd almost take that as an insult but I definitely don't know what I am doing 90% of the time.

I'd also ask for some tips but then again I am not sure if anything will help me outside of just grinding out a bunch of games.

FluxWaveZ

I'd almost take that as an insult but I definitely don't know what I am doing 90% of the time.

I'd also ask for some tips but then again I am not sure if anything will help me outside of just grinding out a bunch of games.

Haha, well we all gotta start from somewhere. Characters I have no idea what I'm doing with currently include Sho, Minazuki, Elizabeth and Labrys. I like to play all of the characters in casual sets, so it sucks when there are some I have to avoid because of that.

For tips, I guess it depends on what you'd want to specifically know. Your defense seemed pretty on point during the matches we played. You also didn't teleport recklessly like so many other Minazukis I've faced and proceeded to punish easily with anti-airs, so that's good.

Busaiku

So I'll be doing a PS3 Persona 4 Arena Ultimax tournament next Friday through Sunday.
Sign-ups are here. When signing up, include your GAF name and SEN name.
Like so: Busaiku (GAF) / Sarumanu (SEN)
If you want to, include your Twitter/Facebook/whichever mode of communication is best for you. This isn't required, but it'll make things easier.
Format as such: Busaiku (GAF) / Sarumanu (SEN) / @Sarumanu (Twitter)

Just to avoid any confusion, I ask that you keep the formatting, even if your name is the same across all platforms.
So again: GAF name (GAF) / SEN name (SEN) / Any other social media name (any other platform).

Sign-ups will be open until Wednesday (through Tuesday CDT).
This is open to all North American residents.

The format will be best 2 out of 3, double elimination. Winner/Loser Finals will be 3 out of 5. Grand Finals will be 4 out of 7.
All games must be played 2/3, 99 seconds.
Again, registration closes Tuesday, October 14, 2014, at 11:59 PM CDT.
The tournament will officially begin on Friday, October 17, 2014, at 12:00 AM CDT.
Once registration is closed, I will determine how many rounds must be completed each day (on Friday/Saturday/Sunday), and I'll enforce as such.
Since brackets will be finalized on Wednesday, you're free to play your matches prior to Friday, but I won't be penalizing absenteeism until Friday.
Participants (winner or loser) must let me know their results through GAF or PSN.

The prize of this tournament will be the Persona Q Shadow of the Labyrinth The Wild Cards Premium Edition (shipped through Amazon).
mfBXeAC.jpg
In the unlikely event I win, I'll save my money.

If you have any suggestions/ideas, I'm willing to incorporate them.
Have fun!

Is anyone of intermediate skill available for matches rn? I wouldn't specify but I'm really not in the mood to get absolutely destroyed tonight.

For tips, I guess it depends on what you'd want to specifically know. Your defense seemed pretty on point during the matches we played. You also didn't teleport recklessly like so many other Minazukis I've faced and proceeded to punish easily with anti-airs, so that's good.

Hmmm well ok then. To me it always feels like I defend too much because I never know where the gap in the block string is so it is always a matter of time until I get opened up.

As for not being reckless, I certainly didn't learn that lesson. I kept attempting an AoA in the middle of a block string even when you punished every single one of them. The few that did land were made at entirely random times.

FluxWaveZ

Hmmm well ok then. To me it always feels like I defend too much because I never know where the gap in the block string is so it is always a matter of time until I get opened up.

As for not being reckless, I certainly didn't learn that lesson. I kept attempting an AoA in the middle of a block string even when you punished every single one of them. The few that did land were made at entirely random times.

That's true, actually. You do a decent job defending, but when everything's back to neutral and I was a fair distance from you, you were still acting as though you were under pressure and backing up too much. You play as Minazuki, who is oppressive as all hell, so you should be doing the opposite of that when things return to neutral and the opponent is given some breathing room.

You weren't reckless with the teleports, but it's true that you certainly were with the AoAs. His is rather easy to block even though I missed it more times than I'd like, so I was getting easy punishes from those. Definitely less of those and more consistent block strings and frame traps since, again, Minazuki's pretty good at those.

That's true, actually. You do a decent job defending, but when everything's back to neutral and I was a fair distance from you, you were still acting as though you were under pressure and backing up too much. You play as Minazuki, who is oppressive as all hell, so you should be doing the opposite of that when things return to neutral and the opponent is given some breathing room.

It's because I don't really know how to apply pressure at close range safely, so I am always too scared to go in. I am basically always under pressure because I feel intimidated by other players at all time. So Minazuki might not be the right character for me, but he is so easy and I wouldn't really know who else to pick.

im getting way to tired and not giving a fuck AoA all day.

That was my last one for the night, Ragingnight. GGs. I have very very limited knowledge on Yukiko so that was a fun session.

gg. Sorry if i seem trolly at the end. Got really tired and resorted to really dumb shit that i didn't do in the earlier matches rofl. I really hate 5A from mitsuru.

So I guess yukiko has a reversal super now I think. SB awakening super seems to be fast enough that they can't dp on reaction to super flash. Either that or I got lucky.

It seems yukiko vs mitsuru hasn't gotten better or worse since I last played. Seems like I have to respect 5A and 5D at certain ranges. Atleast I can block instant air 5B consistently still.

edit
O yeah, you learned real fast that reversal firewall isn't a real reversal against characters with fast invul moves (dp). I was taking advantage of that so much into you did it twice in a row.
I really like the holding agi giving you 2 explosions. It really compliments my style.

Rhapsody

Banned

Never mash AoAs in blockstrings. It's not something that should work.

im getting way to tired and not giving a fuck AoA all day.

gg. Sorry if i seem trolly at the end. Got really tired and resorted to really dumb shit that i didn't do in the earlier matches rofl. I really hate 5A from mitsuru.

So I guess yukiko has a reversal super now I think. SB awakening super seems to be fast enough that they can't dp on reaction to super flash. Either that or I got lucky.

It seems yukiko vs mitsuru hasn't gotten better or worse since I last played. Seems like I have to respect 5A and 5D at certain ranges. Atleast I can block instant air 5B consistently still.

edit
O yeah, you learned real fast that reversal firewall isn't a real reversal against characters with fast invul moves (dp). I was taking advantage of that so much into you did it twice in a row.
I really like the holding agi giving you 2 explosions. It really compliments my style.

Lol it's all good, I was literally learning Yukiko's whole moveset that match! I've only fought a handful of them online so I was experimenting a lot to see if I could dp through some of her strings or not. I was also playing around with the roll a lot since I know it's invulnerable to projectiles on the first frame now.

5A is good but I think Mitsuru's j.A is her biggest threat. It stays out for a long time and it is really easy to combo from. I need to work on j.A air-to-air confirms though since I missed out on a lot of damage from that.

Anne

Lol it's all good, I was literally learning Yukiko's whole moveset that match! I've only fought a handful of them online so I was experimenting a lot to see if I could dp through some of her strings or not. I was also playing around with the roll a lot since I know it's invulnerable to projectiles on the first frame now.

5A is good but I think Mitsuru's j.A is her biggest threat. It stays out for a long time and it is really easy to combo from. I need to work on j.A air-to-air confirms though since I missed out on a lot of damage from that.

j.A is cool in some MUs but staying on the ground and hitting 5A is truth.

hao chi

It's because I don't really know how to apply pressure at close range safely, so I am always too scared to go in. I am basically always under pressure because I feel intimidated by other players at all time. So Minazuki might not be the right character for me, but he is so easy and I wouldn't really know who else to pick.

I've been in the same boat, but you'll gain confidence as you keep playing. Watching other Minazuki players on Youtube would also probably help you quite a bit. I know that I had zero idea how I was supposed to play as Yukiko in P4A until I watched better players using her.

Top Bottom