• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Lol it's all good, I was literally learning Yukiko's whole moveset that match! I've only fought a handful of them online so I was experimenting a lot to see if I could dp through some of her strings or not. I was also playing around with the roll a lot since I know it's invulnerable to projectiles on the first frame now.

5A is good but I think Mitsuru's j.A is her biggest threat. It stays out for a long time and it is really easy to combo from. I need to work on j.A air-to-air confirms though since I missed out on a lot of damage from that.

5a is scarier because even if I block I am in a bad situation. I can block j. 5a and be fine. No problem. It also lets you do coup which again puts me in a bad situation. I wished yukiko's dp was half as good as mitsuru's rofl. So many times I just had to hold that L and block esp when you learned that you can dp on reaction to super flash of firewall.

I don't know any combos. I literally do day 1 P4A vanilla combos and just learned the 214ab combo mid match from just looking at the notations that somebody posted 2-3 pages back. Really disheartening to see that when I touch you, its like 2-3k max. When you touch me, its like easy 3-4k with minimal resources. But thats all on me for not learning shit, maybe someday I'll have the time and hope my execution isn't sloppy. That one round where I did 3 sp firelevel ups? yeah that was execution probs.

As you can see, I get away with mostly very basic fundamental shit and play the spacing and yomi game. Just setting you up with block strings and bait you to walk into buttons, or bait that dp.

Haha, well we all gotta start from somewhere. Characters I have no idea what I'm doing with currently include Sho, Minazuki, Elizabeth and Labrys. I like to play all of the characters in casual sets, so it sucks when there are some I have to avoid because of that.
In this version I find having a handkerchief on hand while playing Elizabeth to be really helpful so I can easily dry my tears.

hao chi

Combo filler. Her new 25 SP BnB is: 5AA > 5B > 5C > 2C > 214A+B > (small delay) 2C > 214B > (small delay) 5C > 214A (Maragidyne D finisher, Agidyne also probably works as well).

Hilariously enough, that combo doesn't work when Yukiko starts with her back to the corner.

Edit: Agidyne C dropped for me, so unless I somehow did that wrong, that's not a finisher option for that combo.

Okay, different combo, but I think Agidyne D should work based on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuC-8chIXkU#t=30

People who actually use her can figure this stuff out. :p

Edit: Yeah, it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuC-8chIXkU#t=1165

Steel

Banned
I should really put in some training time. Only know a couple characters decently at this point because I used them in the previous Arena. I've done alright with ken considering I haven't even peeked at his move list. Using koromaru at the time as reaching everywhere with the spear is pretty fun.

Quick question. Some Yuu was doing DP > land > cross slash and i got hit by it an embarrassing number of times.

Now i know that super is pretty good, but am i just mistiming my DP punish or is that really a thing? Should i poke him out of the air instead... ?

Sorry for the noobie question here but Elizabeth was the only character I liked the playstyle of in P4A and I couldn't get anywhere with her. She just didn't feel like a viable character compared to the others. Ended up using Shadow Labrys in the end.

Is Elizabeth improved/viable in P4A:U?

Anne

Quick question. Some Yuu was doing DP > land > cross slash and i got hit by it an embarrassing number of times.

Now i know that super is pretty good, but am i just mistiming my DP punish or is that really a thing? Should i poke him out of the air instead... ?

He can't cross slash until he's on the ground, but he can do ziodyne in the air. Get behind him while he's in the air and then punish so you're safe from super cancels.

Sorry for the noobie question here but Elizabeth was the only character I liked the playstyle of in P4A and I couldn't get anywhere with her. She just didn't feel like a viable character compared to the others. Ended up using Shadow Labrys in the end.
Is Elizabeth improved/viable in P4A:U?
They made her a lot worse in this one. Besides her (very) few positive matchups, I'd say she barely falls over the line of viability. Now she can get out-zoned by non-zoning characters, which is just a crime.

And you ended up picking Slab? For a "noobie" you're picking some really not easy characters lol.

Do you only go from F- to something higher if you play ranked matches?
Seems like a waste to put this in a new post. Yea, you have to get ranked wins.

Zareka

Do you only go from F- to something higher if you play ranked matches?

I really need to learn everyone's auto combos. So many times I've been having a good fight till the other person decides to throw everything out the window and mash square for the rest of the round. Some of them are brutal.
Seems like a waste to put this in a new post. Yea, you have to get ranked wins.
Aaah okay, thanks. I thought all matches would count towards it.

Tried a ranked matched, got obliterated. Heh.

I really need to learn everyone's auto combos. So many times I've been having a good fight till the other person decides to throw everything out the window and mash square for the rest of the round. Some of them are brutal.

Yeah I'm having some trouble with this as well, a lot of the time I barely have any idea what's going on so I can't figure out how I should be countering it.

Foffy

Banned
Is episode P4A the original story mode, or is it an edited version? I recall with Dissidia 012 revised its previous games storyline with new mechanics, and I wanted to know if something akin happened here.

Zareka

Yeah I'm having some trouble with this as well, a lot of the time I barely have any idea what's going on so I can't figure out how I should be countering it.
Keeping up with everything is my biggest weakness. I never even notice how much HP or SP I still have because I'm too busy focusing on the actual fighting. So many fights have been lost when I could have finished the other person off with my 150 SP bar.

Ok, an Elizabeth just got a perfect on me. I don't think I'm ready for ranked yet.

They made her a lot worse in this one. Besides her (very) few positive matchups, I'd say she barely falls over the line of viability. Now she can get out-zoned by non-zoning characters, which is just a crime.

And you ended up picking Slab? For a "noobie" you're picking some really not easy characters lol.

Thanks for the info, just messed around with her briefly today and I'm still not sold on her neutral game (which is frustrating because I love playing as her once I get the knockdown).

And I meant noobie in P4A terms, not fighting games generally! I used to play Eddie in GG so Shadow Labrys seemed like the best fit. Sort of.

hao chi

Keeping up with everything is my biggest weakness. I never even notice how much HP or SP I still have because I'm too busy focusing on the actual fighting. So many fights have been lost when I could have finished the other person off with my 150 SP bar.

Ok, an Elizabeth just got a perfect on me. I don't think I'm ready for ranked yet.

Liz is a beginner killer. She's not good, but if you don't know the match up she can absolutely wreck you.

A few Liz pointers:

Watching Liz instead of Thanatos can be very helpful, as she makes different poses for each Persona attack.

If nothing else, at least know the animations for her 5D (the command grab) and 2C. Jump when you see 5D coming and just block 2C.

Be careful when she's in Awakening, because her Awakening super is a command grab and does a shit ton of damage.

Keep in mind that you can throw tech her DP if you aren't already mashing buttons.

Watch out for SB Maziodyne as it shoots twice when she's in Awakening.

Zareka

Liz is a beginner killer. She's not good, but if you don't know the match up she can absolutely wreck you.

A few Liz pointers:

Watching Liz instead of Thanatos can be very helpful, as she makes different poses for each Persona attack.

If nothing else, at least know the animations for her 5D (the command grab) and 2C. Jump when you see 5D coming and just block 2C.

Be careful when she's in Awakening, because her Awakening super is a command grab and does a shit ton of damage.

Keep in mind that you can throw tech her DP if you aren't already mashing buttons.

Watch out for SB Maziodyne as it shoots twice when she's in Awakening.

I also have trouble with Liz so these tips will be really helpful, thanks!

Yeah, thanks for the tips. I'll need to go in to training with Elizabeth so I can see all her animations I guess. I think I'm getting the hang of what stuff like '5D' and '2C' means but I'm still not quite there. And that Maziodyne thing has caught me off guard a few times, so I'll watch out for that.

On a semi-related note, I just reversaled and obliterated an auto-combo spamming Elizabeth. That was liberating.

Fake edit: This might sound really dumb, but is there like...a website/dictionary to explain what all these fighting game terms mean? I hate having no idea what people are talking about when I read up on stuff.

Vice

Yeah, thanks for the tips. I'll need to go in to training with Elizabeth so I can see all her animations I guess. I think I'm getting the hang of what stuff like '5D' and '2C' means but I'm still not quite there. And that Maziodyne thing has caught me off guard a few times, so I'll watch out for that.

On a semi-related note, I just reversaled and obliterated an auto-combo spamming Elizabeth. That was liberating.

Fake edit: This might sound really dumb, but is there like...a website/dictionary to explain what all these fighting game terms mean? I hate having no idea what people are talking about when I read up on stuff.

Dustloops wiki will help

Specifically the notation and abbreviation section.

hao chi

It'd be a pain to go through both of these to check them on my phone, but between the two of these they should have most terms you'll want to know. I consulted them quite a few times when I started playing last summer.

http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games

I'll edit in the other link in a sec.

Edit: http://shoryuken.com/glossary/

Zareka

Dustloops wiki will help

Specifically the notation and abbreviation section.

Exactly what I was looking for. Now that I know the numbers are directions on a numpad stuff should be waaaaay easier to understand.
It'd be a pain to go through both of these to check them on my phone, but between the two of these they should have most terms you'll want to know. I consulted them quite a few times when I started playing last summer.

http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games

I'll edit in the other link in a sec.

Edit: http://shoryuken.com/glossary/
Thanks for the links! I need to brush up on all this stuff as well. :)

Man, you guys are all so helpful. Fighting community's a friendly bunch.

A few Liz pointers:
Don't tell them :(

Thanks for the info, just messed around with her briefly today and I'm still not sold on her neutral game (which is frustrating because I love playing as her once I get the knockdown).

And I meant noobie in P4A terms, not fighting games generally! I used to play Eddie in GG so Shadow Labrys seemed like the best fit. Sort of.
Okay, that makes more sense than someone new to fighting games picking Slab. That's just suicide.

Believe me, I wish I could give you actual tips on what to do with her, but I don't really know anymore. The only thing that seems to be semi-viable anymore is being lame as hell, and even that barely works depending on who you're fighting.

Grifter

Looking to switch up who I played from the first game but can't find anything on Naoto's systems. Anyone playing her or have a resource?

Grifter

I have a more effective way of persuading her.

"I won't lend you DanganRonpa 2 unless you update Naoto's wiki!"

It'll work.

Is she still active on the board? It didn't look like it'd been updated lately so I didn't want to come in and ask "err... how do the skulls work again?"

FluxWaveZ

Furious Action?

Oh, right! Too used to the "DP" terminology, I guess.

Adachi's DP isn't completely invincible, so the Cross Slash must have hit one of the frames where it is?

Edit: I don't know the specific frame data, but looking at it in Training mode, the startup frames of the DP's first attack seem to be invulnerable.

Anne

I have a more effective way of persuading her.

"I won't lend you DanganRonpa 2 unless you update Naoto's wiki!"

It'll work.

www still though. I'm not worried about it yet, they need to be worked on but it's not a rush.

Is she still active on the board? It didn't look like it'd been updated lately so I didn't want to come in and ask "err... how do the skulls work again?"

Most of the mods check up on the boards but don't say much unless they need to. Don't be afraid to post stuff asking things.

hao chi

Whoa! I didn't know you were also in the same area as Ludwig.

Yeah, she's about 40 minutes away, so it's a bit of a drive, but still close enough to go to meet ups.

We actually have a pretty decent Persona scene her. Ludwig hosts weekly anime fighter meet ups while MotheHawk hosts weekly general FG meet ups (thankfully Mo is only 20 min away from me), and there's always Persona going on regardless of what new fighters have released.

Rhapsody

Banned
good to know. adachi's such aggressive character to fight

Yeah. Pretty much every character's DP is invincible to at least the first frame where the attack hits.

Be careful of doing Cross Slash outside of combos though. If a person wasn't touching a button, they can just roll straight through it.

Kikirin

Looking to switch up who I played from the first game but can't find anything on Naoto's systems. Anyone playing her or have a resource?

First, the fate / skulls system enables Naoto to instantly K.O. opponents with Hamaon and Mudoon when they have 0 skulls. Note that the opponent has to return to a neutral state once with zero skulls before Hama / Mudo can actually kill. That is, you cannot drain the counter from some number to zero and then combo into Hama / Mudo to kill within the same combo.

Naoto drains skulls by landing particular attacks / specials / supers on the opponent, and each of these take off different amounts as the first skull-reducing move in a combo, generally ranging from 1-3 skulls. Landing additional skull-taking attacks in the same combo generally takes off an additional +1 for each attack. Her 236236 B or 236236 AB are a particularly noteworthy exceptions, taking off an additional 6 skulls when used mid-combo! This is what makes Shadow Naoto's Rampage combos particularly scary, as she can easily drain all 13 skulls in one combo, mixing you up afterwards for the kill-sealing Hama / Mudo.

Also, the opponent recovers half of their missing skulls at the start of every round, unless they were IK'd by Hama / Mudo. In which case, they get back all 13.

Kikirin

Yeah, she's about 40 minutes away, so it's a bit of a drive, but still close enough to go to meet ups.

We actually have a pretty decent Persona scene her. Ludwig hosts weekly anime fighter meet ups while MotheHawk hosts weekly general FG meet ups (thankfully Mo is only 20 min away from me), and there's always Persona going on regardless of what new fighters have released.

Pretty cool. I'm also in the area but haven't gone to any of the meetups before. This might change though, since a friend recently moved into the area from out of state and is interested in going to one. Kinda bemused P4 of all games was the local anime game of choice, considering my distaste for at least vanilla.

Oh...whoops. I totally skipped over that part of the OP. I'm sorry. :(

I should probably start actually reading the OP's of OT's from now on. Completely my bad. :<

Sent you a friend request since we should be able to get a decent connection speed. ^.^

Hrmph. Was doing pretty well with Mitsuru in ranked and lobbies.. mirror matched another Mitsuru at the end. He won a couple games but it was fairly close so i felt good. Then he suddenly kills me in two combos and leaves.

Owwww.

That's the kinda game we play. I need to practice my combos. =.=

Grifter

so is 360 online dead? i wanna buy but not if i'll have nobody to play.

I have it on both but prefer using my 360, my PS3 is on wifi.

First, the fate / skulls system enables Naoto to instantly K.O. opponents with Hamaon and Mudoon when they have 0 skulls. Note that the opponent has to return to a neutral state once with zero skulls before Hama / Mudo can actually kill. That is, you cannot drain the counter from some number to zero and then combo into Hama / Mudo to kill within the same combo.

Thanks. Do you play her? I'm going thru P4A resources and figuring out what's changed, so it sounds like skulls are more easily removed mid-combo now, and Mudo's no longer a descaling tool.

Do you know if her challenge combos are okay for now, or should I immediately seek more optimized ones? I recall my friend struggling with the SMP loop in vanilla. Is some variation of that still in the game?

hao chi

Pretty cool. I'm also in the area but haven't gone to any of the meetups before. This might change though, since a friend recently moved into the area from out of state and is interested in going to one. Kinda bemused P4 of all games was the local anime game of choice, considering my distaste for at least vanilla.

You should definitely come out at some point! The meet ups are always fun and playing locally is a much better learning experience than playing online.

Kikirin

Thanks. Do you play her? I'm going thru P4A resources and figuring out what's changed, so it sounds like skulls are more easily removed mid-combo now, and Mudo's no longer a descaling tool.

Do you know if her challenge combos are okay for now, or should I immediately seek more optimized ones? I recall my friend struggling with the SMP loop in vanilla. Is some variation of that still in the game?

Yeah, I play her at a relatively upper beginner or lower intermediate level. As far as additional differences from vanilla go:

- The bullet gauge is new, and tells you the number of bullets left in the clip. There is a 2-3s gun cooldown after every 5 bullets.

- Related to the above, 6D out of gun stance gives you an attack akin to the counterattack out of her FA. This doesn't consume any bullets and is usable even when the gun gauge is on cooldown.

- Also related to the gun mechanics, I believe Naoto's final bullet takes off more skulls when it is the only bullet you have. For example, the final bullet of stance > AAAAA takes fewer counters than entering stance with one bullet > final bullet A.

- Naoto now has both a 5D and 4D option for sending her persona out. 5D is fast, but won't autocorrect directions when activated after moving past the opponent, whereas 4D is slower and does correct.

- 2C can now be special canceled. Pretty big deal for getting an actual combo ender at midscreen (stuff > 2C > 214A > A shots), and for comboing into 236B at/near the corner.

- 5B and 5C can now be dash canceled, but they don't seem to be particularly useful at closer ranges, since you are locked in a long dash animation when doing so.

- The kick on her awakening super doesn't reach behind her now. Instead, pressing C has her kick forward, and pressing D has her turn around before kicking.

- The recovery on her traps feel much longer, especially the air ones. I believe that you can have any combination of 3 out total, instead of the 2 C traps and 2 D traps of P4U1. D traps are also supposedly not breakable with jumping attacks.

As far as combos go, I don't think there is an SMP loop equivalent where it results in absolutely busted damage. There are higher-execution Blight loops off a fatal counter, but I don't think they are as prevalent / critical to playing Naoto.

I don't remember the challenge combos being particularly practical or high damage, but I found the following tidbits to be useful:

- j.236A (and the Air Fangs series in general) make for a nice combo ender, if you find yourself having to end in the air. I find that most recommended combos tend to stick to the ground though, since you don't get as strong / long of a knockdown off them.

- End combos in gunshots or 6D whenever you can. The untech time for the final shots are much improved in this game, giving you time to get out of stance and have non-trap oki.

- In corner combos, you can often fit in two 236B's and end with 236A > shots. A simple example is: stuff > 2C > 236B~D > 5C > 236B~D > 236A > B shots.

- You can often combo into 236236A or 236236AB or the awakening supers after ending a combo with gunshots, from any distance. Might be kind of tricky to get used to buffering the motion during the gunshots though.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom