• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Xenoflare

So one thing that I've found awesome with Liz is that it seems her Magarudyne loop stuff is easier via her Awakening state, as opposed to P4A when they were simple enough, but I never took the time to get the timing down because it was strict enough for me to not bother.

Debilitate combos are some crazy ish, though.

That Damosu debilitate hama combo, I will never forget it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Margaret's making me love this game again. She feels simple enough while feeling unique at the same time.

Having way more fun compared to Narukami or Adachi for me.

errr what is the frame window for yukaris 5AAA bomb into 5C?

It's a hard link. To get 5AAA xx 214A, 5C you have to cancel the 5AAA into 214A as early as possible. I find the most success by buffering the 214 during the 5AAA then hitting A on the third volley of arrows.

You need to be able to IAD during her combos too which is kind of tricky IMO. She's not an easy character.

FluxWaveZ

Nope, not easy. If I were to say who the most technical, execution-heavy characters in the game probably are, it'd be Aigis, Yukari and Shadow Labrys (who is more complicated than in P4A).

It's a hard link. To get 5AAA xx 214A, 5C you have to cancel the 5AAA into 214A as early as possible. I find the most success by buffering the 214 during the 5AAA then hitting A on the third volley of arrows.

You need to be able to IAD during her combos too which is kind of tricky IMO. She's not an easy character.

I don't think the IAD will be the hardest. but yeah seems like a 1-3 frame link.

ok i think i got the hang of it slightly but I found a baby combo that leaves them full screen tho not with silence or anything.

5aaa bomb 5c 5b 2b 236B 2k damage. What the one that gets them silenced?

edit
hmm EX bomb is easier to land

I don't think the IAD will be the hardest. but yeah seems like a 1-3 frame link.

ok i think i got the hang of it slightly but I found a baby combo that leaves them full screen tho not with silence or anything.

Oh yeah, the 5AAA 214A 5C is probably the hardest thing you have to do consistently but her IAD combos are still tricky until you get the timing down. On an airborne opponent you have to tag them with 5B then IAD j.B 5B 2. If you do the j.B too early then you can't get the fully charged 2B.

EX bomb recovers faster, so if you have meter you can just do 5AAA 214AB then 5B

Rhapsody

Banned
I want to try this link out now. Hardest link for me so far is Margaret's 5AAAAA 236D on a standing opponent.

I can imagine it being around that level.

Edit: Well, I guess my example wasn't a link, but it's an annoying cancel

edit
hmm EX bomb is easier to land

It is, but is it really worth losing 25 SP for every time you do it, especially with how easy the combo is to drop online?

Honestly, Yukari has a lot more to her than her 5AAA bnb. There are a decent number of combos she can do without relying on that ridiculous combo.

I want to try this link out now. Hardest link for me so far is Margaret's 5AAAAA 236D on a standing opponent.

I can imagine it being around that level.

Edit: Well, I guess my example wasn't a link, but it's an annoying cancel

That one is annoying, I just do 5AAAA236A then hit D

hmm after trying out her normals, not feeling her. I like watching her but I probably can't jive with this character. Doesn't have the screen control that I am looking for like yukiko.

Her zoning options seem limited to 5b, 2b, and j.5b. She has some setups at ranges with isis but not really feeling it.

I think imma try rise next. Yukari is just not for me =X. I think in time i can get the 5AAA into bomb 5C as I am already getting it about 25-30% of the time now but naw. I don't really like her normals even tho they are good

FluxWaveZ

Her zoning options seem limited to 5b, 2b, and j.5b. She has some setups at ranges with isis but not really feeling it.

That's kinda wrong. Yukari's zoning game plan mostly revolves around wind orbs (5D, 2D, j.D, 214C, 214D...) so that she can redirect the arrows she shoots into them.

That's kinda wrong. Yukari's zoning game plan mostly revolves around wind orbs (5D, 2D, j.D, 214C, 214D...) so that she can redirect the arrows she shoots into them.

thats what I meant, woops. But what I am trying to say, it seems primarily arrows base. Its not like yukiko's. Its like I guess dorm vs hawkeye zoning. Each have their own way to zone.

Grifter

The Yukari link's not so bad if you get Arc's buffer system down (feels like it's still in the game). Hardest things are the janky timings on delayed and held arrows, and some combos to flip arrows.

Nope, not easy. If I were to say who the most technical, execution-heavy characters in the game probably are, it'd be Aigis, Yukari and Shadow Labrys (who is more complicated than in P4A).

Really? I had a blast grinding Aigis to be competitive in P4A but was looking for a less-work character since there are less local players for this than the first time around (and this is the only fighter where I'd want to play more than a small fraction of characters). I was leaning to maining Yukari. :\

Really? I had a blast grinding Aigis to be competitive in P4A but was looking for a less-work character since there are less local players for this than the first time around (and this is the only fighter where I'd want to play more than a small fraction of characters). I was leaning to maining Yukari. :\

if I had to judge, 5AAA into bomb 5c is like a 2-4 framer. I think maybe 3~ not entirely sure. Its def not 5 frames because I can do that. Its not a 1 frame for sure. It feels as difficult as some of the 2-3 framers I have done in the past.

I need some really long sets against good players to beat the bad habits out of me.

Block too much, can't even block well even if that's what I do for 90% of the match. Too much dashing back and forward, not enough blocking when I do need to block. This is depressing.

I need some really long sets against good players to beat the bad habits out of me.

Block too much, can't even block well even if that's what I do for 90% of the match. Too much dashing back and forward, not enough blocking when I do need to block. This is depressing.

what is a good player? lol also who do you play

FluxWaveZ

Definitely. It's not just the link that's being talked about above that makes her technical, but everything else. Proper hit confirms into BnBs are much more involved than they are with other characters, like the IAD requirements that were mentioned, and she just requires a lot of air turns and strict timing to get her stuff to work properly, at least from what I've seen.

Rhapsody

Banned
I just tried Yukari's combo. It is pretty tough.

Once I got it, I cheated afterwards. P4A has advanced input buffer where the game repeats the input for 3 frames (or maybe 2?). I also plinked C~B giving me an extra frame. I rarely drop it now. I'm pretty sure this isn't placebo since I've gotten it down 10 times in a row now, but who knows lol

Of course this is only helpful on an arcade stick.

DedValve

Banned
how do you people understand the names of the moves 5b, 6c, etc. I have no idea what any of these means so I just describe the moves lol

Grifter

Definitely. It's not just the link that's being talked about above that makes her technical, but everything else. Proper hit confirms into BnBs are much more involved than they are with other characters, like the IAD requirements that were mentioned, and she just requires a lot of air turns and strict timing to get her stuff to work properly, at least from what I've seen.

Played GG for a long time so stuff from previous Arc games (tight windows, mini-dash, IAD combos), I'm comfortable with. Newer stuff like air turns and Yukari's specific delayed arrows and tight held arrows I'm having trouble with.

Maybe I'll look elsewhere first. How do you guys feel the learning curve are on:
Naoto
Ken (played Zappa a while but Ken seems to take more skill)
SHO (looks SUPER noob friendly but more tricks than Minazuki)
this version of Akihiko (seems less reliant on mini-dash)

FluxWaveZ

how do you people understand the names of the moves 5b, 6c, etc. I have no idea what any of these means so I just describe the moves lol

It's really not hard. I devoted a section to this thread's OP with images that lay it all out. Directions correspond to the numpad and the buttons correspond to the... buttons.

It'd be silly to replace saying "Yu's 5B" with "Yu's long horizontal sword slash" or "Yu's 2A" with "Yu's downward punch."

Shouta

Finally get to do some Ranked and get a bunch of guys that rage quit after I beat them. Looks like no one knows how to play against Ken.

I just tried Yukari's combo. It is pretty tough.

Once I got it, I cheated afterwards. P4A has advanced input buffer where the game repeats the input for 3 frames (or maybe 2?). I also plinked C~B giving me an extra frame. I rarely drop it now. I'm pretty sure this isn't placebo since I've gotten it down 10 times in a row now, but who knows lol

Of course this is only helpful on an arcade stick.

I never learned how to plink =X also my execution is mediocre

FluxWaveZ

Finally get to do some Ranked and get a bunch of guys that rage quit after I beat them. Looks like no one knows how to play against Ken.

For how much I can easily steal wins with him against inexperienced opponents by mainly spamming 2C and 236A/B > A/B, there sure seems to be a distinct lack of him. Same goes for Shadow Labrys, so guess it's just the nature of a puppet character to barely be used by anyone, at least online.

what is a good player? lol also who do you play

Someone who doesn't regularly get caught by the dumb things I do, has good mix ups, can bait and punish, has good use and management of available resources.

I generally play ranked so I can do practice mode at the same time, but since I am such a terrible player I end up playing most against rather mediocre players as well. It's very depressing.

Shouta

For how much I can easily steal wins with him against inexperienced opponents by mainly spamming 2C and 236A/B > A/B, there sure seems to be a distinct lack of him. Same goes for Shadow Labrys, so guess it's just the nature of a puppet character to barely be used by anyone, at least online.

Yeah. He's not hard to use like other puppet chars but his neutral does take a little getting used to. On the ground he's beast though. Getting 4k for no metter off a 2B is so good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Any tips for him? He doesn't play like Carl (which is a good thing) but means Carl tips/tricks don't really apply to him (bad thing).

Grifter

OK I just grinded 2C > 5B > 2B > iad.B > 5B > 2B > jc.B > dj.2 > 5B > 2B...

Was reminded that the hardest thing I found about her was that the held arrows eliminate advanced input, but besides that there's just so many drop points in that beautiful combo.

Xenoflare

People seriously need to watch out for Koromaru, and act accordingly because he can't block.

Rage quit is not nice
especially during your rank up matches.

I had a Koromaru doing dem swirly swirls at me in a corner while ken just was like GO KOROMARU USE TACKLE.

Shouta

Any tips for him? He doesn't play like Carl (which is a good thing) but means Carl tips/tricks don't really apply to him (bad thing).

Well the 2 big things are the same for Ken as they are for other characters.

A) Learn your buttons. What they do the properties. This is particularly true for Ken because C and D aren't Persona buttons, they're Koromaru buttons.

B) Learn the spacing on your moves. Ken's B on the ground is actually two hits with a long recovery so learning where to use it as a poke so it covers you in the air is really vital. 2B gets a lot of people looking to avoid the initial poke while the AA properties of 5B are on the second part and is slower but is good cross-up protection.

For Ken specific stuff:

1) Cover yourself using Koro. All of Ken's spear moves recover slowly which is usually a death knell for a char but Koromaru can be used separately as long as you aren't blocking or getting hit. So if you expect to whiff or you want to reduce how minus you are after one of your Bs, you can 2C or 5C with Koro to give you a chance to recover from the attack.

2) Protect Koromaru. Just like 1) you need to cover him as he covers you. He gets knocked out and it makes it harder to convert for big damage and your pressure gets halved as a result. If they try to hit Koro, counterpoke them to stop prevent it. 214 A and B is mediarama and heals both Ken and Koro. It also brings Koro back faster after the opponent drains his life bar. This works well if you're opponent is not going in. Hit them with Koro and then heal immediately

3) Learn to execute a 214 or 236 quickly mid-combo. While Ken doesn't require anything fancy like negative edge. You need to be able to quickly use Koro's special moves for several of his important combo parts and for the latter parts of his big combos. jA > jB > Double Jump > jB > 236 D > j2B requires you to do the 236 D as soon as you do jB otherwise you risk bobbling it and whiffing the 2B or forcing them into the ground before or after Koro starts spinning.

4) Ken does not have rapid fire buttons so you need to make sure you follow-up with a different for a hit-confirm and to keep yourself out of trouble. This is aimed specifically at 2A which is just one leg chop but goes into 2B for a full combo pretty easily or can be made safe if you keep 1) in mind.

5) Convert everything into something. Ken can get a lot of stray hits that can be picked up for decent damage. Anticipate so you can do this. Particular ones to not are CH 2Bs, 2Cs, and j.Bs all which lead into 2.5k-3k damage easily or more depending on how many resources you want to spend.

6) Sweep is your friend and does huge damage. It's one of the most important attacks for Ken as it's pretty much a required attack to get into his 5k+ damage range and even into the 6-7k tier. It's the only way to get your opponent into his Thrust combos without hitting them with the Persona first follow-up. Sweep also allows Ken to continue his combo after you OMB his 236236 A/B super.

7) Koro stops if you get hit or block meaning he can't save you from pressure. However, his SB moves are guaranteed to activate once you use it even if you're forced to block, I believe. It doesn't stop them from hitting Koro to stop his moves but helps if you need it. SB Air Spin gives you the best hit angle while SB ground spin leaves Koro where the opponent is even if it's blocked allowing to better pressure in the long run.

8) DP is not great as a reversal for the most part but is a good combo tool. If you get a counterhit with it, you can convert for big damage by following up with a sweep though the timing takes a little to get used to. You can also super cancel the 2nd hit or mash a super as you come down if you whiffed the second. A or SB is best for this but not recommended you put yourself in a situation that forces you to do that.

9) DO NOT MASH ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES D IN THE MACRO OR D ITSELF. D puts Koro away in the air where he heals and if you press C he dives at your opponent or if you press D he drops back down. While it has uses, even in combos. you don't want to put Koro away when you don't mean it so try not to accidentally hit D.

10) If you throw, the commands reverse in the direction opposite to where you throw, I think. This is important because Ken can convert his throw into big damage too with his bread and better.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Just let me know about specific things.

PK Gaming

It'd be silly to replace saying "Yu's 5B" with "Yu's long horizontal sword slash" or "Yu's 2A" with "Yu's downward punch."

BwaeBNICIAAWrzg.png

I'm partial to Yu's "I'll style on you with my godlike aerial simply because you made the mistake of existing" as a replacement for j.2B.

MechaX

I tried to come back to the game after a really busy week of work, and man... I forgot how rough it is when you take breaks from fighters you're just learning.

I definitely think I'll abandon hope of learning Yukari, at least until I can work on my execution. I'm getting a lot more used to Naoto and I still need to try Marge. Then again, I also need to actually get my ass to online matches before I'm free to everyone no contest.

Well the 2 big things are the same for Ken as they are for other characters.

A) Learn your buttons. What they do the properties. This is particularly true for Ken because C and D aren't Persona buttons, they're Koromaru buttons.

B) Learn the spacing on your moves. Ken's B on the ground is actually two hits with a long recovery so learning where to use it as a poke so it covers you in the air is really vital. 2B gets a lot of people looking to avoid the initial poke while the AA properties of 5B are on the second part and is slower but is good cross-up protection.

For Ken specific stuff:

1) Cover yourself using Koro. All of Ken's spear moves recover slowly which is usually a death knell for a char but Koromaru can be used separately as long as you aren't blocking or getting hit. So if you expect to whiff or you want to reduce how minus you are after one of your Bs, you can 2C or 5C with Koro to give you a chance to recover from the attack.

2) Protect Koromaru. Just like 1) you need to cover him as he covers you. He gets knocked out and it makes it harder to convert for big damage and your pressure gets halved as a result. If they try to hit Koro, counterpoke them to stop prevent it. 214 A and B is mediarama and heals both Ken and Koro. It also brings Koro back faster after the opponent drains his life bar. This works well if you're opponent is not going in. Hit them with Koro and then heal immediately

3) Learn to execute a 214 or 236 quickly mid-combo. While Ken doesn't require anything fancy like negative edge. You need to be able to quickly use Koro's special moves for several of his important combo parts and for the latter parts of his big combos. jA > jB > Double Jump > jB > 236 D > j2B requires you to do the 236 D as soon as you do jB otherwise you risk bobbling it and whiffing the 2B or forcing them into the ground before or after Koro starts spinning.

4) Ken does not have rapid fire buttons so you need to make sure you follow-up with a different for a hit-confirm and to keep yourself out of trouble. This is aimed specifically at 2A which is just one leg chop but goes into 2B for a full combo pretty easily or can be made safe if you keep 1) in mind.

5) Convert everything into something. Ken can get a lot of stray hits that can be picked up for decent damage. Anticipate so you can do this. Particular ones to not are CH 2Bs, 2Cs, and j.Bs all which lead into 2.5k-3k damage easily or more depending on how many resources you want to spend.

6) Sweep is your friend and does huge damage. It's one of the most important attacks for Ken as it's pretty much a required attack to get into his 5k+ damage range and even into the 6-7k tier. It's the only way to get your opponent into his Thrust combos without hitting them with the Persona first follow-up. Sweep also allows Ken to continue his combo after you OMB his 236236 A/B super.

7) Koro stops if you get hit or block meaning he can't save you from pressure. However, his SB moves are guaranteed to activate once you use it even if you're forced to block, I believe. It doesn't stop them from hitting Koro to stop his moves but helps if you need it. SB Air Spin gives you the best hit angle while SB ground spin leaves Koro where the opponent is even if it's blocked allowing to better pressure in the long run.

8) DP is not great as a reversal for the most part but is a good combo tool. If you get a counterhit with it, you can convert for big damage by following up with a sweep though the timing takes a little to get used to. You can also super cancel the 2nd hit or mash a super as you come down if you whiffed the second. A or SB is best for this but not recommended you put yourself in a situation that forces you to do that.

9) DO NOT MASH ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES D IN THE MACRO OR D ITSELF. D puts Koro away in the air where he heals and if you press C he dives at your opponent or if you press D he drops back down. While it has uses, even in combos. you don't want to put Koro away when you don't mean it so try not to accidentally hit D.

10) If you throw, the commands reverse in the direction opposite to where you throw, I think. This is important because Ken can convert his throw into big damage too with his bread and better.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Just let me know about specific things.

great info!

i just got the game wednesday and i really like ken's play style so far.

do you know of any match videos or combo videos?

i've been watching this video, trying to copy his combos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39n...: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39nTneIhIpQ)

Does plinking really work in this, the same way as in SF4?

I think plinking works in most ASW games? Probably.

It's pretty easy to test in training mode, just watch the inputs. Pretty sure I saw one of the button presses double up when I was messing around with training mode in BB.

Got P4U for Xbox 360 today. Tried to download the free update but Xbox Live won't let me download the file. I'm in Germany. Is the dlc region locked or is there a geo lock for the content?

Shouta

So one thing that I've found awesome with Liz is that it seems her Magarudyne loop stuff is easier via her Awakening state, as opposed to P4A when they were simple enough, but I never took the time to get the timing down because it was strict enough for me to not bother.

Debilitate combos are some crazy ish, though.
Magaru loop is a lot less fun now imo. Now you just kind of sit in place, I liked driving my green chair.

I haven't tried any debilitate combos yet cause I find it to be so unreliable. Is that supposed to be the new hotness, or is it just combo video stuff?

Nyoro SF

I need to take Ken & Koro into training mode to see their attack gaps. I almost lost to one despite doing my best to block, it is hard to see where the gaps to approach are. I don't know if Koromaru can hit low, but if he can't that would definitely mean I would have to force Ken to risk an AoA.

Maybe I have to backdash farther away to get Ken's spear to whiff. While it honestly feels like an inescapable blockstring, I bet there are a few ways I can get out. I have seriously forgotten how I managed to avoid getting looped.

Some seriously scary stuff where I 2A the dog to knock him out and just miss getting counter-hit by Ken's spear extend. At least he has to respect Minazuki's teleport to some degree.

I need to take Ken & Koro into training mode to see their attack gaps. I almost lost to one despite doing my best to block, it is hard to see where the gaps to approach are. I don't know if Koromaru can hit low, but if he can't that would definitely mean I would have to force Ken to risk an AoA.
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9309-shaggy-scooby-vs-ken/

If that helps. I certainly didn't see Ken pull of any overheads outside of jump-ins and AoA.

Learning where gaps in pressure strings are seems to apply to most characters.

Top Bottom