• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

hao chi

I feel like throwing my name on that player list but I feel like it might end being pointless since I'm not great.

I'm sure there's plenty of other beginners on there, especially with the game being so new. If anything, now's the best time for you to play, since there's more beginners playing.

Edit: I'd just put your comment on the players list as 'Beginner ' and you'd probably be able to find matches with other beginners that way.

Uncle AJ

Pretty cool. I'm also in the area but haven't gone to any of the meetups before. This might change though, since a friend recently moved into the area from out of state and is interested in going to one. Kinda bemused P4 of all games was the local anime game of choice, considering my distaste for at least vanilla.

If you're in the KC area we're always welcoming of new players! Ludwig and I open our places up for games and grinding each week. Hers will be more focused on anime games while I host a more general/all-purpose fighting game hookup, but we've got a good bunch of dedicated P4 players now. Shoot me a PM if you want to know more.

Xenoflare

I feel like throwing my name on that player list but I feel like it might end being pointless since I'm not great.

Same.

Also I'm tired of people rushing themselves in one section of the lobby and end up with 32 people in one section and I can't match against anyone since the room is full and all the other rooms have 0 players

Same.

Also I'm tired of people rushing themselves in one section of the lobby and end up with 32 people in one section and I can't match against anyone since the room is full and all the other rooms have 0 players

Kind of unfortunate but that's how it works. If the player population is big enough to sustain more than 1 lobby then there will be spillover and a new lobby will form until it's full.

If the peak population is just at the room limit, than one or two people will be left out. There is no helping it.

FluxWaveZ

Is there any specific room you guys tend to hang out in?

Everyone either always hangs out at Junes ("social" lobby) or Inside the TV (lobby for those getting used to the game). Sometimes there are people in the other North America inclusive lobbies; just gotta check.

Zareka

Everyone either always hangs out at Junes ("social" lobby) or Inside the TV (lobby for those getting used to the game). Sometimes there are people in the other North America inclusive lobbies; just gotta check.
Aaah okay, thanks. I tend to hang around Inside the TV but I don't think I've recognised anyone so far, so I wondered if we had a set room. That said, I'm not sure if I would recognise anyone yet, lol.

On that note, I'm gonna be hanging around the lobby or at least online for the next hour or so, maybe more. I'm up for some fights!

People winning matches by exclusively relying on autocombo are really starting to annoy me.

I'm sure there's plenty of other beginners on there, especially with the game being so new. If anything, now's the best time for you to play, since there's more beginners playing.

Edit: I'd just put your comment on the players list as 'Beginner ' and you'd probably be able to find matches with other beginners that way.

Well I added myself, thanks for the beginner comment idea.

I'm usually Inside the TV, first couple floors or so.

I think i've seen some EU people hang around Tartarus, or at least i got 3 bar matches there so i assume EU.

Aaah okay, thanks. I tend to hang around Inside the TV but I don't think I've recognised anyone so far, so I wondered if we had a set room. That said, I'm not sure if I would recognise anyone yet, lol.

On that note, I'm gonna be hanging around the lobby or at least online for the next hour or so, maybe more. I'm up for some fights!

People winning matches by exclusively relying on autocombo are really starting to annoy me.

Why? Shows that the auto combo player had better fundamentals.

I have way more respect to player with better fundamentals than players that live and die of set play.

Put it this way. The person had to land about 5 combos to kill you. While a combo fiend/set play player wins of a hit into ambiguous mixup

I'm bias though as I have very simple combos and hit confirms. My execution is average at best now, and I have to rely on reads and better fundamentals

FluxWaveZ

If people are winning simply by auto-comboing you, they're simply the better player. It's not a cheap system. If someone's just spamming these, they're easily punishable and you can just spend a few minutes in training mode to learn to defend against them.

Neutral game > combos. Every single time. Learning fancy combos is utterly meaningless if one doesn't know how to block properly or just play the neutral game. Advanced combos are one of the last things a player should focus on when learning how to play properly.

Not only that. If the player landed that many hits into auto combo then imagine if they knew 3-5k combos.

You would straight up die.

Only real auto combo I hate is mitsu. Not sure if it has changed but it used to be Un punishable if ended with a coup and she was right next to me as a yukiko player

Learning combos can trump fundamental differences if the damage difference is large. 4k vs 2k exanple

Zareka

I'm not saying it's...cheap, per se, there's just something that rubs me the wrong way with being able to mash one button to win. It is partly my problem for not being able to combat against them, however. I can just never seem to shake that first hit off.

I guess it's more that as soon as they get the first hit with it, it's a guaranteed combo, and super cancel providing they have the SP. I'm currently not be aware of any way other than bursting to get myself out of it.

Well, time to fiddle around with the settings in training a bit more!

Specifically, looks like I badly need to work on my neutral game.

I'm not saying it's...cheap, per se, there's just something that rubs me the wrong way with being able to mash one button to win. It is partly my problem for not being able to combat against them, however. I can just never seem to shake that first hit off.

I guess it's more that as soon as they get the first hit with it, it's a guaranteed combo, and super cancel providing they have the SP. I'm currently not be aware of any way other than bursting to get myself out of it.

Well, time to fiddle around with the settings in training a bit more!

What time will you be on? I'll be home in about an hour and we can play. Pending on traffic. Want to buy vita crossplay with good netcode

Zareka

What time will you be on? I'll be home in about an hour and we can play. Pending on traffic. Want to buy vita crossplay with good netcode

Well it's 1.30am where I live, so I'll probably be asleep in an hour since I have college tomorrow. I don't think I'll get much of a chance to play tomorrow either, but I should be on at the weekend, if you'd be on then?

I'd kill for this game on Vita. I'd kill for every game on Vita.

FluxWaveZ

Well, it's like Ragingnight mentioned: imagine that they knew more advanced combos and were pulling them off when you got hit instead? You'd be getting damaged much more and you'd be put at an even greater disadvantage compared to a simple auto-combo. The problem lies in the fact that you got hit in the first place.

Well it's 1.30am where I live, so I'll probably be asleep in an hour since I have college tomorrow. I don't think I'll get much of a chance to play tomorrow either, but I should be on at the weekend, if you'd be on then?

I'd kill for this game on Vita. I'd kill for every game on Vita.

Hella late. Who do you play? Yuk? Or was it sho

Xenoflare

Not only that. If the player landed that many hits into auto combo then imagine if they knew 3-5k combos.

You would straight up die.

Only real auto combo I hate is mitsu. Not sure if it has changed but it used to be Un punishable if ended with a coup and she was right next to me as a yukiko player

Learning combos can trump fundamental differences if the damage difference is large. 4k vs 2k exanple

I have never won any match against Mitsuru with Liz online, save for that one match where the other player didn't even know how to block I think it's probably his connection being funky.

I can only jab her with 5B and if she evade it I'm dead. Someone pulled off the Mabufudyne charge kick combo on me I was just stunned by the amount of damage it went off.

I can only manage about 2500 damage with Elizabeth per combo, involves Autocombo mabufudyne, 5B 5C (2C) Mabufudyne A,

I need to learn how to use Magarudyne in my combos I'm a one trick pony.

Shuffle time + Maziodyne SB +Maragidyne D to AoA or j.C is also my go to trick.

Good Yukiko's I've been playing with often have really good space management with her persona.

Elizabeth really shines when she scores a Fatal counter.

I just discovered the Mabufudyne+AoA+OMC+Ghastly Wail trick, I've been living under a rock. I mapped my L2 and R2 to be AoA and throw respectively god I'm so stupid. I never pulled off One more cancel successfully before, well, at least online.

Zareka

Well, it's like Ragingnight mentioned: imagine that they knew more advanced combos and were pulling them off when you got hit instead? You'd be getting damaged much more and you'd be put at an even greater disadvantage compared to a simple auto-combo. The problem lies in the fact that you got hit in the first place.
Yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from. I've been accepting taking a bunch of damage as a given up until now but I'm starting to see that's the wrong way to approach things.

Now I think about it, the one match I actually beat an Akihiko was the one where I kept accidentally blocking all his attacks, lol.
Hella late. Who do you play? Yuk? Or was it sho
I'm playing Sho for now, though I haven't really tried a lot of characters extensively, but Sho seems relatively simple to learn. Yukiko just goes right over my head being a zoner. Figured I should start with the basics. :p

Xenoflare

Oh good I unlocked Liz's narration!

Speaking of Mitsuru, I just beat another one, but he's a F- so I'm feeling bad for exploiting the fact that he can't tech or block my Maragidyne+AoAs.

Xenoflare

Yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from. I've been accepting taking a bunch of damage as a given up until now but I'm starting to see that's the wrong way to approach things.

Now I think about it, the one match I actually beat an Akihiko was the one where I kept accidentally blocking all his attacks, lol.

I'm playing Sho for now, though I haven't really tried a lot of characters extensively, but Sho seems relatively simple to learn. Yukiko just goes right over my head being a zoner. Figured I should start with the basics. :p

Maybe start trying Akihiko, Yu or Elizabeth?????? I really would like another Liz player here haha

Good new characters are yu, mitsu. Liz is hard. Yukiko is only hsrd when it's advanced combos (and being mid tier). Chie used to be easy, not sure now

Aki is okay. You just have to be patient against zoners if you're new

Yosuke maybe if u can glide

Xenoflare

I'm an Elizabeth player.

Oh SHI-

For some reason that never occured to me, I just assumed you know everyone to a good degree since you had 2000+ matches.

I'm still at 50 ish

I had 9 ranked match and won 7 of them because my opponents really aren't blocking properly

FluxWaveZ

Oh SHI-

For some reason that never occured to me, I just assumed you know everyone to a good degree since you had 2000+ matches.

Haha, no, I'm really not a Liz player. I just felt compelled to say that, for some reason.

She's fun to play, though, so I try her out from time to time. Her counter is fun.

Zareka

Haha, I might give Yu a try if I get tired of Sho, since he seems to fit my preferences a bit more than, say, Akihiko (too slow and bulky). I might give Chie another shot too since I used her a lot offline in Arena.

I'd like to give Adachi and Rise a go at some point. Rise especially looks interesting. Maybe Ken too, but I'm horrible with puppet characters. Half the reason I've went with Sho so far is so I don't have to deal with a persona.

Maybe start trying Akihiko, Yu or Elizabeth?????? I really would like another Liz player here haha
I play Elizabeth
unfortunately

And don't worry about losing against Mitsuru. Mitsuru v Elizabeth is the definition of a free matchup. 90% of my matches in this series are against Tyrant Rave and he mains Mitsuru, by that research I've come to the conclusion that to win that matchup you just need to clap your hands and pray that the Mitsuru is having an off match.

FluxWaveZ

I play Elizabeth
unfortunately

And don't worry about losing against Mitsuru. Mitsuru v Elizabeth is the definition of a free matchup. 90% of my matches in this series are against Tyrant Rave and he mains Mitsuru, by that research I've come to the conclusion that to win that matchup you just need to clap your hands and pray that the Mitsuru is having an off match.

Pf, can't be that terrible. Next time I go up against Tyrant, I'll pick Liz and see how it goes.

Xenoflare

I play Elizabeth
unfortunately

It's too fun once the juggling starts, but holy shit her normals all have such of a long reach I won't have anything against her.

Debilitate would technically would stave her off, but it's unreliable and I suck at charging.

Man, I really hoped that I had another controller or something, I need training against Marge's sweep and Adachi's persona attack where his persona stabs downwards, and Junpei's deathbound.

Rhapsody

Banned
You Liz players, let's think positive. Chances are, the big weaknesses won't be exposed too badly on the average level of play.

FluxWaveZ

You Liz players, let's think positive. Chances are, the big weaknesses won't be exposed too badly on the average level of play.

I'm almost positive LIz is still the force to be reckoned with for intermediate players that she was in P4A. Just gonna play her for the immediate future.

Xenoflare

I agree, I play on the ultra n00b tier once I get my combo rolling I should be ok.

I swear no one really tech my shuffle time. I love going against Yukari players because I like to shock them to the wall and start using SB Diarahan just to piss people off while they relentlessly trying to use their arrows to bypass that projectile invuln. I know I've said this at least 3 times in this thread now but I just love it when it happens.

FULL HEALTH AWAKENING BITCHES.

Nyoro SF

I'm having immense trouble comboing from Minazuki's teleport midair.

So a basic combo for him is Throw -> OMC -> Backdash -> 2C -> 5D -> Teleport -> 2A -> Stuff

I can't link the 2A after the teleport. I've tried different timings, different juggle heights.... I'm losing my mind, is there a trick to it?

FluxWaveZ

So one thing that I've found awesome with Liz is that it seems her Magarudyne loop stuff is easier via her Awakening state, as opposed to P4A when they were simple enough, but I never took the time to get the timing down because it was strict enough for me to not bother.

Debilitate combos are some crazy ish, though.

Top Bottom