• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Shouta

Ken really doesn't need a mix-up outside of throw or AoA because he can also play the timer scam game. He's extremely good at this because he has Mediarama stuff and super good pressure on the ground.

Rhapsody

Banned
I need to take Ken & Koro into training mode to see their attack gaps. I almost lost to one despite doing my best to block, it is hard to see where the gaps to approach are. I don't know if Koromaru can hit low, but if he can't that would definitely mean I would have to force Ken to risk an AoA.

Maybe I have to backdash farther away to get Ken's spear to whiff. While it honestly feels like an inescapable blockstring, I bet there are a few ways I can get out. I have seriously forgotten how I managed to avoid getting looped.

Some seriously scary stuff where I 2A the dog to knock him out and just miss getting counter-hit by Ken's spear extend. At least he has to respect Minazuki's teleport to some degree.
The gaps vary just because of Koromaru. If you're fighting a bad Ken, there will be lots of them because that's just how the character is if he's not using Koromaru right. Remember to IB to if you want to make it harder onthe player.
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9309-shaggy-scooby-vs-ken/

If that helps. I certainly didn't see Ken pull of any overheads outside of jump-ins and AoA.

Learning where gaps in pressure strings are seems to apply to most characters.

Are there even any overheads from him that aren't jump ins or AoA? Usually Ken's mixups consist of empty jump low or roll mixups to be honest. Other than that, he's the type to capitalize on mistakes with midscreen pressure strings.

The P3 story has been far more enjoyable than the P4 route so far, mainly due to the character moments being stronger and it being great seeing Junpei and Yukari again.

Dlent

Is there any kind of written guide on the option selects in this game? I know Lord Knight did a video demonstration for them a while back, but it was a couple of hours long and didn't elaborate on the theory behind them as much as I'd like. Didn't see any guides on Dustloop or anything. Thanks in advance.

FluxWaveZ

Lol, what was that ground fire one you did after you charged up. Flux? Is that unblockable?

Ha, wow, I didn't realize I was facing you... again. That explains why it's a Ken that actually knows what they're doing.

Ground fire I did after I charged up... Oh, you must mean with Shadow Yukiko? The one that covers the screen is her SB 214214C+D. You can just roll it if you time it correctly, but I think that one was a counter hit. Dangerous stuff.

And yeah, I had made it unblockable through Fire Break.

Shouta

ggs Flux. I really need to learn where I can stick something in Adachi's block strings. Though, I guess that can wait as most are nowhere near as good as yours, lol.

Also, trying to run up and block that lightning is awful in 1 bar connection. Kept getting hit when I attempted it, haha.

FluxWaveZ

GGs. Screw that dog, heh. Yeah, you were getting hit by that quite a bit, but I also started using his 5D as an effective way to kill off that dog pretty quickly after it's knocked down and it's forced to wake up into it. Spamming it isn't the best move, but definitely something I'll have to keep in mind against future Kens.

Rhapsody

Banned
ggs Flux. I really need to learn where I can stick something in Adachi's block strings. Though, I guess that can wait as most are nowhere near as good as yours, lol.

Also, trying to run up and block that lightning is awful in 1 bar connection. Kept getting hit when I attempted it, haha.

Any normal into sweep can be DPed. A and B gunshots are like -1 on block, so A gunshots are a bit annoying to deal with as Ken.

Shouta

Ya, You gotta be careful with it in more standard connections because Ken should be able to run up and hit 5B to stop it. That's bad too because 5B should lead to big damage. But the lightning is effective to stop me from heal spamming, lol.

Uraizen

Banned

I have yet to get anything over a two bar. I've been playing in 0 to 2. =\

Busaiku

Your SEN ID is dehlia or something, Shouta?
Something that starts with a d or whatever?

Good stuff earlier.
I kept using Circus Bear to take out Koromaru, of course I managed to hit you maybe once or twice.
Still, you kept using Mediarama way too often.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So I'll be doing a PS3 Persona 4 Arena Ultimax tournament next Friday through Sunday.
Sign-ups are here. When signing up, include your GAF name and SEN name.
Like so: Busaiku (GAF) / Sarumanu (SEN)
If you want to, include your Twitter/Facebook/whichever mode of communication is best for you. This isn't required, but it'll make things easier.
Format as such: Busaiku (GAF) / Sarumanu (SEN) / @Sarumanu (Twitter)

Just to avoid any confusion, I ask that you keep the formatting, even if your name is the same across all platforms.
So again: GAF name (GAF) / SEN name (SEN) / Any other social media name (any other platform).

Sign-ups will be open until Wednesday (through Tuesday CDT).
This is open to all North American residents.

The format will be best 2 out of 3, double elimination. Winner/Loser Finals will be 3 out of 5. Grand Finals will be 4 out of 7.
All games must be played 2/3, 99 seconds.
Again, registration closes Tuesday, October 14, 2014, at 11:59 PM CDT.
The tournament will officially begin on Friday, October 17, 2014, at 12:00 AM CDT.
Once registration is closed, I will determine how many rounds must be completed each day (on Friday/Saturday/Sunday), and I'll enforce as such.
Since brackets will be finalized on Wednesday, you're free to play your matches prior to Friday, but I won't be penalizing absenteeism until Friday.
Participants (winner or loser) must let me know their results through GAF or PSN.

The prize of this tournament will be the Persona Q Shadow of the Labyrinth The Wild Cards Premium Edition (shipped through Amazon).

In the unlikely event I win, I'll save my money.

If you have any suggestions/ideas, I'm willing to incorporate them.
Have fun!
I hadn't seen this. Definitely signing up!

not entering the tournament I think. I would get bopped since its 2 out of 3 and all I would be doing is gate keeping casuals and mid tier players.

+ I don't think I can hang anymore. I used to atleast win games
and in some sets go even or positive
from twil, onemic and them but not anymore. And if flux shits on twils and them, then I have no chance rofl.

The more I play this game the less I like it. I played a ton of P4A and really liked it, but this is just.......boring to me. Maybe I should learn a new character or something.

Busaiku

Good lord, there are so many songs.
Like very time the opponent picks a song, it's something I haven't heard before.

And still I only go Junes.

Shouta

Your SEN ID is dehlia or something, Shouta?
Something that starts with a d or whatever?

Good stuff earlier.
I kept using Circus Bear to take out Koromaru, of course I managed to hit you maybe once or twice.
Still, you kept using Mediarama way too often.

Also, I played you but it was 0 bar I think, lol. 0 bar causes stuff like bear drill into DP to work, so ass, lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is Arc/Atlus going to patch in random select sometime down the road? It's kinda crazy that P4U has it but P4U2 doesn't due to the character select screen being completely filled.

It seems like having it be a row above or below the characters a up-down option would work for the screen.

FluxWaveZ

Is Arc/Atlus going to patch in random select sometime down the road? It's kinda crazy that P4U has it but P4U2 doesn't due to the character select screen being completely filled.

It seems like having it be a row above or below the characters a up-down option would work for the screen.

There's a random select button, even if the option isn't on the character screen.

Xenoflare

Whew, managed to get to D-, I stayed F- since day one on the original arena.

But most if not all of my ranked match opponents are spammy. Particularly Adachis with his 5D and 2D spam.

And no one teched my shuffle time

I feel like they day I see a Mitsuru I will whimper in the corner.

hao chi

Ha, wow, I didn't realize I was facing you... again. That explains why it's a Ken that actually knows what they're doing.

Ground fire I did after I charged up... Oh, you must mean with Shadow Yukiko? The one that covers the screen is her SB 214214C+D. You can just roll it if you time it correctly, but I think that one was a counter hit. Dangerous stuff.

And yeah, I had made it unblockable through Fire Break.

By that I hope you mean, "Mash roll during the super flash." :p

Tizoc

Well I got my bop bag, might need to take it to a shop or somethin' to fill it up with air.
...and bah god A COLORED MANUAL.

I am such a scrub at fighting games.

I can only imagine the reason I play these games is to give people a free win and make em feel better about all of this.

I am such a scrub at fighting games.

I can only imagine the reason I play these games is to give people a free win and make em feel better about all of this.

1398567963808.png

coolio, bro

and it was my connection since i got signed out of PSN. Been trying out one of these ethernet adapters that plug into the wall cuz it was annoying my folks to have a long ethernet cord running from one end off the house to the other and it only works half decently tbh. It just drops for seemingly no reason on occasion. Kinda why I don't play P4A or any of my PS3 stuff online as often.

FluxWaveZ

GGs, Flux! I got a lot of matchup experience out of that. And I like your Adachi a lot right now, especially.

I like it too, actually. I recently came to learn a really novel thing called footsies instead of incessantly rolling all the time, and that's upped my game significantly. I've stopped jumping as much as I did in the recent past, and I don't DP in desperation as often as I used to. I've started actually blocking more reliably and even instant block fairly often!

Rhapsody

Banned
I like it too, actually. I recently came to learn a really novel thing called footsies instead of incessantly rolling all the time, and that's upped my game significantly. I've stopped jumping as much as I did in the recent past, and I don't DP in desperation as often as I used to. I've started actually blocking more reliably and even instant block fairly often!

Your rolls were on point though and worked every time I got greedy with Margaret, haha. I got to stop autopiloting. But yeah, it was really hard to open you up. And I think the air to ground game of yours with Adachi is trickling over to your other characters, so I have a really hard time dealing with it.

It was nice fighting someone that won't let me get away with Margaret's stuff. I'll have to adjust.

And ggs, That Dude John.

Top Bottom