• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

FluxWaveZ

VR Raiden's Ken makes me cry. ;_;

Only saw one match of his against a Yosuke player earlier. Definitely seemed pretty good.

Though I don't often think this, but I'm definitely better than all of the Adachis I saw on the TFC stream. That shit was embarrassing.

Shouta

Only saw one match of his against a Yosuke player earlier. Definitely seemed pretty good.

Though I don't often think this, but I'm definitely better than all of the Adachis I saw on the TFC stream. That shit was embarrassing.

He has some strong tactics with Ken but he's dropping too many combos or cutting it short for Oki where it'd be better to just take the damage. He also went in on folks far too often with Ken when he should be zoning them like Shadow Chie. I learned a few things but I think I'm better than he is with Ken.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, nice bracket reset. A Marie might actually take the tournament.

Edit: Unfortunately(?), LK's Margaret took it. Neat matches, anyways.

Nyoro SF

Watching LK after fighting a strong Margaret proved what I thought; Margaret's 2A (or 2B? Whatever her slide is) is REALLY, REALLY stupid. If you play Margaret and aren't using this move you're fucking up. It anti airs, is fast enough to avoid moves and is a lot harder to counterhit than it should be. Whiff recovery is pretty much 0 or close to it. Just great.

Rhapsody

Banned
Watching LK after fighting a strong Margaret proved what I thought; Margaret's 2A (or 2B? Whatever her slide is) is REALLY, REALLY stupid. If you play Margaret and aren't using this move you're fucking up. It anti airs, is fast enough to avoid moves and is a lot harder to counterhit than it should be. Whiff recovery is pretty much 0 or close to it. Just great.

I'd rather do 5B starter. Gets the job done, better starter for damage, etc.

Really starting to like Mitsuru. Been bopping people with her all day, by just spacing myself decently and engaging them from her 5A range. So many whiffed DPs. So many counterhits.

My conversions could still use a lot of work though.

Really starting to like Mitsuru. Been bopping people with her all day, by just spacing myself decently and engaging them from her 5A range. So many whiffed DPs. So many counterhits.

My conversions could still use a lot of work though.

Yeah she's really fun. She's one of my favorite fighting game characters by far, she fits my playstyle very well.

I will say that her new move, Tentarafoo, has been causing me a lot of issues in this game though. Sometimes I'll try to go from blocking to throw or roll and it overlaps with the input making that come out instead. It can be very frustrating.

Oh man I just lost two in a row because I was so excited to play a 4 bar connection.

But man it was so good. Punishing raging lion jump ins on reaction, dodging cross ups and overheads, it was amazing.

MechaX

I was tempted to get online, but saw nothing but 0 or 1 bars. Welp, back to the lab with Naoto.

Hell, how much should I even know with Naoto to be competent to start online anyway?

FluxWaveZ

I was tempted to get online, but saw nothing but 0 or 1 bars. Welp, back to the lab with Naoto.

Hell, how much should I even know with Naoto to be competent to start online anyway?

I'm not sure I get the question. One can go online whenever they want to, right? Regardless of one's character knowledge or skill level, I don't think there's any kind of threshold. All sorts of skill levels are represented.

GGs Anne, I was the Mitsuru who kept fighting you.

I really needed the experience against Narukami and Aigis so that was really helpful and fun. That crossup with j.C you did with Aigis caught me almost every time lol

I am such a scrub at fighting games.

I can only imagine the reason I play these games is to give people a free win and make em feel better about all of this.

I think the same thing sometimes.

Then I end up stomping someone and pretend I never had those thoughts in the first place. Rinse and repeat until I become decently satisfied with my milestones (last time this happened was in Blazblue: Continuum Shift).

Anne

GGs Anne, I was the Mitsuru who kept fighting you.

I really needed the experience against Narukami and Aigis so that was really helpful and fun. That crossup with j.C you did with Aigis caught me almost every time lol

Yup yup. Most people in NA don't to experience Aigis doing things like that so they get caught by it.

Narukami is my giggles character, I just kinda picked him and everything he does works. If you have good fundamentals and don't whiff he's really easy to just loop safejumps with until you win.

If you want hewlp with anything lemme know. I noticed a couple things that let me keep going in with Banchou.

FluxWaveZ

Aw, you won't go against Canadian players, AnnelFrank? 2 bars are usually just fine for me, but, then again, I find 1 bars to be good, too.

Concerning the earlier discussion about which connections people usually encounter, I tend to mostly go against 2 bars, with occasional 1 bars and 3 bars. Only ever had 4 bars with 2-3 different players, though those seemed to be pretty equivalent to 3, in my experience.

Yup yup. Most people in NA don't to experience Aigis doing things like that so they get caught by it.

Narukami is my giggles character, I just kinda picked him and everything he does works. If you have good fundamentals and don't whiff he's really easy to just loop safejumps with until you win.

If you want hewlp with anything lemme know. I noticed a couple things that let me keep going in with Banchou.

Yeah I'm still getting used to the fact that he can feint his Raging Lion now lol. There was one time you did the feint and I was expecting a j.B and you did a throw and I was just caught completely off-guard.

We'll definitely have to play again.

Rhapsody

Banned
I guess I'm sort of picky on connections when I go into arcade lobbies.

When it's player lobbies, I don't mind it if I know the person. Anything's good as long as I can still have fun and learn from it. Just no full screen zio cars and such and I'm good lol

Anne

Aw, you won't go against Canadian players, AnnelFrank? 2 bars are usually just fine for me, but, then again, I find 1 bars to be good, too.

Concerning the earlier discussion about which connections people usually encounter, I tend to mostly go against 2 bars, with occasional 1 bars and 3 bars. Only ever had 4 bars with 2-3 different players, though those seemed to be pretty equivalent to 3, in my experience.

I remember fighting you in vanilla going between one and 2 bars and I'm like nahhhhhhhhh. Even Psykotik has a 2 to me but it's borderline unplayable.

MechaX

I'm not sure I get the question. One can go online whenever they want to, right? Regardless of one's character knowledge or skill level, I don't think there's any kind of threshold. All sorts of skill levels are represented.

You say this, but then I tried my first few matches online and got a Liz with no matches, but was doing combos like ChrisG used to do when he briefly played her.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the other skill levels besides this yet, or I'm having rotten luck.

Edit: Yeah no, an Aki with very few matches is doing like 6k combos. Nope nope nope

FluxWaveZ

You say this, but then I tried my first few matches online and got a Liz with no matches, but was doing combos like ChrisG used to do when he briefly played her.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the other skill levels besides this yet, or I'm having rotten luck.

Did you go to the beginner dedicated lobbies? This opponent had no matches, but do you make sure that an opponent's card color online isn't yellow or above? It'd be surprising if every single opponent you went against was secretly awesome, even if they were new to the game.

Online definitely isn't full of experienced players. Others in this thread could probably attest to that.

Mdesilva

I got my first ragequit today, looooooool

Also got my C Rank for the trophy, though I'll probably still try to go up to S Rank or something.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Edit: Yeah no, an Aki with very few matches is doing like 6k combos. Nope nope nope

You're just having bad luck. Check Lobby->In the TV for "beginner" matches with a bunch of white cards. Should be able to hold your own there and if you don't, no big deal. It isn't effecting your rank/stats.

Mdesilva

These people may be playing offline most of the time. Also note that you should try the beginner lobby more, yeah

Like the others have said, try the beginner lobbies.

There are all sorts of players online so it sounds like bad luck on your part. Most of the people I've run into only know how to do autocombos.

Rhapsody

Banned

If you're still not comfortable with the Beginner Lobby, there are a bunch of GAF players that you can play with that feel that they're around that skill level.

Anne

Yeah I'm still getting used to the fact that he can feint his Raging Lion now lol. There was one time you did the feint and I was expecting a j.B and you did a throw and I was just caught completely off-guard.

We'll definitely have to play again.

The feint into j.B is actually a safejump btw in case you didn't know. So doing empty feint into high/low/throw/double high etc. Is a common thing high level Narukamis do when they have you conditioned.

Anne

Didn't know that was a safejump, good to know!

Ye. The common safejumps are:

C slide > 66 > j.B
B lion > B lion feint > j.B
236A > B lion feint > j.B
CH DP > neutral jump > j.B

He can use j.A to get a single high hit into a low instead. Off j.B the SB air lion mix up opens up, but that's hard to pick up off now but it's still a great mix up. This is really for anybody who runs into Narukami and just doesn't know how DP safe he actually is.

MechaX

Hopped over to the beginner lobbies, and just been getting bodied by folks with 300-500+ PSR for the past half an hour.

Well, this is demoralizing.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hopped over to the beginner lobbies, and just been getting bodied by folks with 300-500+ PSR for the past half an hour.

Well, this is demoralizing.

Some people that are really good unfortunately go troll in the Beginner Lobbies.

Also it's a fighting game. I know people always want to win and not lose, but it's a competitive genre. Sometimes you need to make the most out of those losses and learn from them.

You should probably scope out some better connections, this lobby is full of 0 bars. Also maybe look for someone with a dark green square or blue/white one.

Mdesilva

Square system is wack, I had a bad day and ranked down after fighting against my Blue square friend and am Light Blue now. I'm not that good, but I'm better than a lot of Blue/Green/Light Green squares but since no one has Light Blue I'm basically stuck like this forever ;-;

FluxWaveZ

Square system is wack, I had a bad day and ranked down after fighting against my Blue square friend and am Light Blue now. I'm not that good, but I'm better than a lot of Blue/Green/Light Green squares but since no one has Light Blue I'm basically stuck like this forever ;-;

You can rank up by going against squares one square above you in color.

MechaX

Some people that are really good unfortunately go troll in the Beginner Lobbies.

Also it's a fighting game. I know people always want to win and not lose, but it's a competitive genre. Sometimes you need to make the most out of those losses and learn from them.

The thing is that I'm not that in-tune with most fighters save a few to the point where I'm actually taking anything out of a match besides "don't get hit scrub" by just playing matches alone. I better learn these types of games with some kind of instruction somewhere. That way I'll better know things like what to watch out for, what I'm doing wrong out of habit that I wouldn't notice on my own, whether or not I'm essentially trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by playing the wrong character, etc, etc.

When it comes to just getting flat out bodied by players too far beyond me, I usually don't take away too much simply because I don't really know what to take away until I get to that level. Moreover, that's confounded by things like not being able to do practiced combos under-pressure, etc, etc. And after about over an hour of that on a constant basis, it's not difficult to start having thoughts like "go do something constructive and do work-related shit instead, because this is just more infuriating than learning."

You should probably scope out some better connections, this lobby is full of 0 bars. Also maybe look for someone with a dark green square or blue/white one.

Eh, I just let the intros load and most of the matches were fine. But yeah, there were a ton of 0 bars in that room.

Top Bottom