• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Busaiku

Yeesh, that lag.
Shame I only got a handle on Chie's moves after the tournament matches though...
Welp lost my match. Fucking reversal God Hand bodied me. GGs

What was the score?

Also a reminder to everyone that losers games have to be played.
At least Round 1 and 2 have to be completed tonight.

Dlent

Yeesh, that lag.
Shame I only got a handle on Chie's moves after the tournament matches though...

What was the score?

Also a reminder to everyone that losers games have to be played.
At least Round 1 and 2 have to be completed tonight.

2-1. After PSN was down yesterday, all my matches have had serious lag. The netcode wasn't perfect before, but I haven't had any good matches all day. Might just be a coincidence, oh well. It's not like random Teddie unblockables work unless it's lagging anyways :p

Dlent

I think there were legit resets for it in the first game, but it's a projectile and rolls are proj. invul on frame one now. I don't think there's any real use for it now outside of combos.

Busaiku

It's not a projectile now.
It allows for a lot of thinking time, and you can also go into All Out Attack in the air, so you can catch punishes.
Teddie's also not completely vulnerable in the air now either.

I mean, I mostly just use it to get a breather, maybe catch people who weren't expecting it.
Definitely got a lot of buffs.

Mdesilva

I'm supposed to fight Jotamide, right? I won't be able to play today, so I'll forfeit this round (which will knock me out of the competition, I know). Maybe next time, I guess.

Unrelated: I got modded on Dustloop :D

Busaiku

Alright, the remaining matches are for tonight are...
hao chi vs FluxWave Z (Winners Round 2)
Ultimate_Trainer vs irfaanator (Losers Round 1)
Winner of Ultimate_Trainer and irfaanator vs pics_nao (Losers Round 2)
Loser of hao chi and FluxWaveZ vs LostConfused (Losers Round 2)

Once again I just can't tell what I am doing wrong. Everything, I am pretty sure I am doing everything wrong. It can't be the character then I guess, if everything is a gigantic mistake. I should really come to terms with being terrible at these games sometime soon, then pretend they never existed.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm supposed to fight Jotamide, right? I won't be able to play today, so I'll forfeit this round (which will knock me out of the competition, I know). Maybe next time, I guess.

Unrelated: I got modded on Dustloop :D

Awww.

YES! Worst player on GAF! Wooooooo! Go me. I'll fight anyone first to two losses that wants to challenge that.
bush-mission.jpg

Time to retire Minazuki.

Lose, lose, lose, and then lose some more. Preferably to somebody who is slightly above your skill level.
Welp then sounds like things are going perfectly then. Been stacking up these losses real high.

Uraizen

Banned
Once again I just can't tell what I am doing wrong. Everything, I am pretty sure I am doing everything wrong. It can't be the character then I guess, if everything is a gigantic mistake. I should really come to terms with being terrible at these games sometime soon, then pretend they never existed.

Lose, lose, lose, and then lose some more. Preferably to somebody who is slightly above your skill level.

Busaiku

anybody know ultimate_gamer?

Was on PSN earlier (about 2 hours), sent a PM.
If nothing happens in the next hour, I'll give you the bye.
I also let Pics_nao know that one of you two would be the next match, but they haven't seem to have been on PSN recently.

Was on PSN earlier (about 2 hours), sent a PM.
If nothing happens in the next hour, I'll give you the bye.
I also let Pics_nao know that one of you two would be the next match, but they haven't seem to have been on PSN recently.

yea was kinda my fault, was pretty busy earlier in the week

hao chi

YES! Worst player on GAF! Wooooooo! Go me. I'll fight anyone first to two losses that wants to challenge that.
bush-mission.jpg

Time to retire Minazuki.

Welp then sounds like things are going perfectly then. Been stacking up these losses real high.

You aren't nearly as bad as you keep claiming, and these things take time.

Also, you might want to review your matches sometime. Just from our matches I noticed you liked to teleport right after throwing daggers at full screen. That's something that people more comfortable with the Minazuki MU would probably punish.

Uraizen

Banned

Logged in about... 18 days since launch over here and the majority of them are losses. I'm learning from each of those losses, though. If I ever run into you in one of those arcade lobbies, I'll shoot you a challenge.

Jinto

So for someone only playing this for the story mode, how is the story? Besides some tedious parts and a few poor story arcs, I enjoyed the story in P4A.

FluxWaveZ

So for someone only playing this for the story mode, how is the story? Besides some tedious parts and a few poor story arcs, I enjoyed the story in P4A.

If you enjoyed the story in P4A, you'll most likely enjoy the story in P4AU. Structure is far better and more goes on in it.

If you didn't download the free first week DLC, though, you'll have to purchase Episode Adachi, which fills out some unexplained portions of the story and gives it an interesting new perspective.

Jinto

If you enjoyed the story in P4A, you'll most likely enjoy the story in P4AU. Structure is far better and more goes on in it.

If you didn't download the free first week DLC, though, you'll have to purchase Episode Adachi, which fills out some unexplained portions of the story and gives it an interesting new perspective.

Good to know, thanks. I downloaded what was available the first week, I think. Can't remember if that included the Episode Adachi or not. I'll need to check that when I get home.

Depending on the timing (or if it's an SP attack) only one of them will connect.

OK thanks. I think in some games Player 1 would always win if something like that happened, and I wasn't sure if this game was the case. Usually if two players do the same move with same priorities and the like at the same time, they would either both take damage or the moves would negate. But then it would be odd to see two Kanjis ram head-first into each other, and obviously they can't both grab at the same time.

hao chi

OK thanks. I think in some games Player 1 would always win if something like that happened, and I wasn't sure if this game was the case. Usually if two players do the same move with same priorities and the like at the same time, they would either both take damage or the moves would negate. But then it would be odd to see two Kanjis ram head-first into each other, and obviously they can't both grab at the same time.

This game is silly, but not that silly. :p

I agree, I am worse than my ranting implies.

You remind me of myself when I used to(lol) have meltdowns in fighting game threads.

The feeling will pass at some point. Also recommended to limit your sets to FT5 or 10. Since there are many cases where you can't learn anything from someone who is dominating you. So there's no point in playing against the same person for hours and hours while learning nothing in the process. Look up combo's and block strings on dustloop and learn some since you need them to do respectable damage in this game.

Watching good players that use your character also helps as well, since you can try and mimic some of their tactics/blockstrings/combos/whatever.

It's a continuous process so don't expect you're going to become a god overnight (I know you will anyway since I do it too :p).

Busaiku

Ok so today's matches are...

Iceburg vs FluxWaveZ (Winners Rounds 3)
Jotamide vs Ultimate_Trainer (Losers Round 3)
hao chi vs Rean (Losers Round 3)
The loser of Iceburg and FluxWaveZ vs the winner of Jotamide and Ultimate_Trainer (Losers Round 4)
The winner of hao chi and Rean vs me (Losers Round 4)

Please get your matches done ASAP.

You're really bumming me out, man. Get over it, it takes a long time to get good at fighting games, way more than a couple of weeks, and once you get good you still lose plenty. If you want to see that in action go watch Excellent Adventures on Cross Counter, Mike Ross is a world class player and he consistently gets blown up by randoms online.

If you want to know how to play better then watch a lot of videos of whatever character and see what they do, the neutral game is the most important part of learning to play. Past that just keep grinding out matches and getting experience. When I play I usually sit down with Tyrant Rave for two hours and just lose 80%
+
of the matches, doesn't bother me. Take the L and keep going.

Oh hey this game has voice chat during the match? Because I heard some random mumbling coming across my speakers but I couldn't make out anything.

Playing fighting games is hard after wrist surgery. I can't instant air dash and I pull my stitches when I do quarter circles on the right side of the screen.

RoeBear

Logged in about... 18 days since launch over here and the majority of them are losses. I'm learning from each of those losses, though. If I ever run into you in one of those arcade lobbies, I'll shoot you a challenge.

I got so mad at this game when I want to play it I just put on BB cause I need wins to survive.

FluxWaveZ

Lol ggs flux. So is there a way to avoid that Rise bs or is it just I'm screwed?

GGs. That FluxWaveZ-special-custom Shadow Rise set-up seems to land most times I try it and I haven't spent any time in Training mode to see how to evade it. Sometimes people try to Burst it (which you naturally can't do with Shadow Naoto), but invulnerability goes through that, too. Evading seems to work against it, but that won't work if one's trying to jump to escape the 22A+C and is hit by it (or blocking it) low to the ground.

RoeBear

GGs. That FluxWaveZ-special-custom Shadow Rise set-up seems to land most times I try it and I haven't spent any time in Training mode to see how to evade it. Sometimes people try to Burst it (which you naturally can't do with Shadow Naoto), but invulnerability goes through that, too. Evading seems to work against it, but that won't work if one's trying to jump to escape the 22A+C and is hit by it low to the ground.

Haha, the setup is real! When I take this game less seriously I have more fun. I challenged you knowing I would lose and still enjoyed myself.

FluxWaveZ

Haha, the setup is real! When I take this game less seriously I have more fun. I challenged you knowing I would lose and still enjoyed myself.

Ah, if I knew that, I would have switched characters constantly, heh. Wasn't sure if you'd be okay with switching like that in a set.

Yeah I would have been cool with you switching. No need to wait till you lose with me or whatever the real rules would be. I just knew I wouldn't want to play long since I need to go to the gym and didn't want to leave you hanging.

Cool, I'll know that if there's ever a next time. Some don't like it when I switch like that, even playing casually, but that's the most fun for me. Like you said, it's way more fun when the players aren't taking it so super seriously that they even get angry after matches.

RoeBear

Ah, if I knew that, I would have switched characters constantly, heh. Wasn't sure if you'd be okay with switching like that in a set.

Yeah I would have been cool with you switching. No need to wait till you lose with me or whatever the real rules would be. I just knew I wouldn't want to play long since I need to go to the gym and didn't want to leave you hanging.

Cool, I'll know that if there's ever a next time. Some don't like it when I switch like that, even playing casually, but that's the most fun for me. Like you said, it's way more fun when the players aren't taking it so super seriously that they even get angry after matches.

Yeah some people say that to me in BB but I like to switch it around a lot since I find a lot of characters fun. With P4U I don't know how to play period, so I just stick with either S. Naoto or regular.

Top Bottom