• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

FluxWaveZ

Going through the P4A story with Japanese text and English audio, I think the value of the characters' thoughts is being overestimated, even in that game. There are a lot of subtleties one will miss out on by not understanding the text (e.g. Yosuke thinking that the Midnight Channel might have started broadcasting all over Japan at the beginning of his story, which was pure inner monologue), but all of the important story beats are covered via dialogue.

I can imagine Episode Adachi won't work too well without having access to inner thoughts and I don't know anything about how Ultimax's story is conveyed except for the episode format and layout, but one would probably understand most of it just with the audio. I'll be playing the English version later to see the subtleties I missed out on.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My copy should be here tomorrow. If I really feel the need to play the story mode (didn't bother in the original), I'll just pick up the U.S. version later on.

English audio for story mode has supposedly been confirmed already, according to several sources.

Oh, I must've missed that.

Well, then that means my only reason for double dipping on the English physical version is for the tarot cards and the Teddie bopping bag. I'm not gonna lie, that's enough reason of a reason for me tho. Although given how shops here didn't carry SMTIV until there was a second print run without any of the extras makes me worry a little...

English audio for story mode has supposedly been confirmed already, according to several sources.
I'm not too sure about that anymore. I've been looking for sources for a while now and have been coming up empty. The entire English script was found in the JP game, but we already know that'll be inaccessible. So finding the English dub too might not mean anything.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not too sure about that anymore. I've been looking for sources for a while now and have been coming up empty. The entire English script was found in the JP game, but we already know that'll be inaccessible. So finding the English dub too might not mean anything.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I put "supposedly" because there has been no real confirmation, even though people are stating it as such, and it would make more sense if it followed what BBCP did just like SolarKnight stated.

AmiAmi shipped my copy!

Yeah, CDJapan shipped my copy about 10 hours ago. Would have preferred to have gotten the copy today, but I suppose this justifies me getting the DL version.

Pics_nao

How likely are the chances of the DLC characters costing 800 yennies? Literally the only thing holding me back from buying some PSN cards and downloading this tonight

10600543_10152326295258339_7239611766993226886_n.jpg

Small preview of the pre-order theme!

Hag

So if I pre-order the US version at PSN store I will get the option to pre-load like the jp? Also I didn't find for how long the pre-order will be avaliable at the store

FluxWaveZ

I just checked the Japanese PSN store. If I search for the katakana for "persona," all I can find for Ultimax is a trailer.

Try searching P4U2. I don't know its current status on PSN, though. When I pre-ordered it, it was front and center on the PSN store.

Edit: Might currently be available just for those who pre-ordered the game.

I found it.

It's $90 if I buy the yen. I think I'd save about $30 if I wait to see if it gets uploaded to the Hong Kong PSN store later. Even more factoring DLC costs if I wait for the US version. Hmm...

Astarte

go to bed

Brett told me that they had to wait until 2AM for a store update once; you prob shouldn't risk severe sleep deprivation.

This is totally worth it, 5 hours of sleep in 3 days let's go. I just want to start the download because I heard that it's really big :X

Lemstar

2AM but where? I'm most likely staying up until 4 anyways at the pace this homework is getting done :|
He's Pacific.

I haven't interacted with the HK store that much, but this seems aberrantly late. At least everything else that's slated to be released today (Neptunia U, new SRW) hasn't shown up either, so hopefully it's just a really late update and not an unannounced delay.

hao chi

Game seems really fun so far. I haven't tried Sho yet, but all the new characters I've tried seem like they could be pretty fun. I've mostly been focusing on Rise though.

My main gripe at the moment is that Yosuke seems pretty dumb, mainly because it seems like nearly everything is safe for him. He doesn't feel unbeatable though.

Just got my copy downloaded, but dammit, got work for the next 10 hours. Huge thanks to Lemstar for all his help.

I heard translated menus were out. Anyone got them?

I've heard that all the characters are available as Navigators. Considering I saw a Yukari Navigator in one of those trailers it's probably true, but can anyone corroborate? (even more Golden Arena replay value, wahey!)

I hope they're not complete travesties to unlock like last time.

Because it hasn't been posted here yet, the Japanese release schedule:
Adachi - 4th September
Marie - 11th September
Margaret - 25th September

So you'll be seeing Margaret players from Japan online at US release anyway but I guess they couldn't give you everything for free~

Shito

Because it hasn't been posted here yet, the Japanese release schedule:
Adachi - 4th September
Marie - 11th September
Margaret - 25th September
Do we know the prices for them yet?
After buying UNIEL and this, I'm starting to get low on yens on my japanese account, so I wonder how much I'll have to refill it with to fetch those 3 characters...

artsi

Just bought this, downloading now. I haven't played much fighting games but Persona is so close to my heart I had to get it.

vg260

Trying to decide whether or not to pre-order the US version digitally for the color DLC since I have the P4A ones. So, I'm trying to make sense of the DLC on the Japanese store.

I see that there are 6 glasses packs, 4 of which are the same as the P4A ones (so the P4A ones can be used), plus two new ones, and a new complete pack.

However, there only appears to be 4 color packs, all of which are the same as the P4A ones, and a new complete pack. No packs for just the new characters that I can tell. We won't be able to pick up just the new color packs, and are stuck having to buy the complete set to get them all? That's odd.

hao chi

I'm focusing on the story before anything else. Finished with Episode P4 and I'll try to do the rest a bit later.

How does the story feel without being able to understand the inner monologues? I was considering playing it myself, but figured I should wait for the US release.

FluxWaveZ

How does the story feel without being able to understand the inner monologues? I was considering playing it myself, but figured I should wait for the US release.

I understand most of what's going on, easily. Like I said before, I had played a chunk of P4A's story with Japanese text and English voices in preparation, and I realized that most of the story is properly conveyed just through dialogue. What you miss is internal monologue that adds nuance to the story, and a few cases where a character will respond out loud to themselves to what they're thinking.

Lack of English text is mostly a factor when a character is either alone or during a certain part of the story where the focus isn't one any one character, so it was easy to get by.

Top Bottom