• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

PK Gaming

I haven't really done anything outside of messing with the training mode

The new Yu is seriously amazing. His corner slide combos are fun to execute, and his new specials/supers are Stylish and Beautiful. I haven't been able to get his Hidden Super down to pat yet, but hopefully that'll change with practice!

The new Yosuke is predictably a beast. It's funny how his autocombo is one of his more optimal combos. It's really easy to kick ass with him, haha.

Barely scratched the surface with Minazuki, but he's really fun.

This game is kind of overwhelming. There are so many characters to try out and so many things to do.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I jumped straight to online multiplayer.
19 loses, 8 wins in beginner's lobby. Sigh, I'm so bad at this game. That's enough for today.

Pics_nao

I knew I wanted to main Minazuki but goddamn I'm having so much fun with him. Gonna probably jump online now and get wreck

Random thing I noticed. If you switch the language to English, the videos in the gallery change to their English counterpart which makes sense. However, if you watch the console opening, while this time they did remember to change the JP logo for the NA one so that it says "Persona 4 Arena Ultimax", they forgot about Teddie and he's still shown as "Kuma" lol

FluxWaveZ

Ugh, very first character I wanted to try out in training mode after finishing the story mode was Adachi, but my PNP ordered from CDJapan is only going to arrive tomorrow. Guess I'll try out Shadows or something.

Edit: I'm overwhelmed as hell right now. I don't know where to begin when it comes to starting out with a character. Wonder if that's how it felt when I started P4A...

Zomba13

Few quick questions.
1)Is there any EU date planned at all at the mo or is this going to be another P4A case of waiting a year or something?
2)If I was to import a NA copy for my PS3 to the UK where would you guys reccomend? Amazon.com?
3)How will the DLC/preorder bonus or whatever stuff work? Would I need to use an NA account? Would the DLC be usable on my UK PSN account?

PK Gaming

Ugh, very first character I wanted to try out in training mode after finishing the story mode was Adachi, but my PNP ordered from CDJapan is only going to arrive tomorrow. Guess I'll try out Shadows or something.

Edit: I'm overwhelmed as hell right now. I don't know where to begin when it comes to starting out with a character. Wonder if that's how it felt when I started P4A...

You kind of remind of me a shonen protagonist who (after becoming powerful enough to defeat the season 1 final boss) has trouble fighting regular enemies in season 2.

You guys ever watch Medabots? That totally happens in season 2!

You'll get back to your current level in no time

FluxWaveZ

Few quick questions.
1)Is there any EU date planned at all at the mo or is this going to be another P4A case of waiting a year or something?
3)How will the DLC/preorder bonus or whatever stuff work? Would I need to use an NA account? Would the DLC be usable on my UK PSN account?

1. No date yet. The game was recently rated in Australia, which is part of the PAL region.
3. The DLC would work with any account, but only with the game's respective version.

You kind of remind of me a shonen protagonist who (after becoming powerful enough to defeat the season 1 final boss) has trouble fighting regular enemies in season 2.

You guys ever watch Medabots? That totally happens in season 2!

You'll get back to your current level in no time

That's the hope, I guess. I had gotten used to so many things that my method of learning was just playing matches online, but I'm actually going to have to spend time in training mode just to learn fundamentals, like it was when I started playing P4A. It's kind of a pain. My head kinda hurts realizing just how extremely different this is for me compared to P4A. It's one thing to watch countless videos and read up on theory stuff and changes, but it's a whole other thing to experience these things firsthand.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ugh, went from confident in my game in P4A to not knowing what the heck I'm doing in P4AU and just mashing.

It's that weird learning curve in fighters. When you start off, you're mostly clueless and are satisfied with the rate you're going. Then once you reach that level and start fresh in something, you'll feel helpless since you know how much you're not getting. Eventually when you pick up even more games, you won't experience such a far drop.

Zomba13

1. No date yet. The game was recently rated in Australia, which is part of the PAL region.
3. The DLC would work with any account, but only with the game's respective version.

That's great.

Last questions that I didn't think of until now:
1)Anyone know how much it'll cost on the NA PSN store?
2)How does the online work? If I got the NA version would It work out my region if I picked regional matchmaking? Is there coutries/regions like NA, EU, Asia? Is it just regional/world wide? I've completely forgotten for P4A handled online.

FluxWaveZ

It's that weird learning curve in fighters. When you start off, you're mostly clueless and are satisfied with the rate you're going. Then once you reach that level and start fresh in something, you'll feel helpless since you know how much you're not getting. Eventually when you pick up even more games, you won't experience such a far drop.

A common phenomenon, huh. That makes sense; it's the first time I've had to deal with a transition like this after having put a ton of time in the previous iteration of a fighting game. All these small changes are messing with me.

1)Anyone know how much it'll cost on the NA PSN store?
2)How does the online work? If I got the NA version would It work out my region if I picked regional matchmaking? Is there coutries/regions like NA, EU, Asia? Is it just regional/world wide? I've completely forgotten for P4A handled online.

1. $59.99
2. Online is region free. Regions can be limited based on user preference.

Zomba13

A common phenomenon, huh. That makes sense; it's the first time I've had to deal with a transition like this after having put a ton of time in the previous iteration of a fighting game. All these small changes are messing with me.

1. $59.99
2. Online is region free. Regions can be limited based on user preference.

Thanks. Looks like it'd be better for me to get the PSN version rather than import a physical copy (same price where I'm looking but the added shipping. And then of course delivery time).

Yeah, not to mention that any changes to your main can just fuck you up really bad because you might keep playing as if it was the previous version when at times whatever you knew might not even work at all anymore.

Pics_nao

Wiping All Out is supposed to be in the game right? I can't seem to find it and it's not even listed in the BGM in the gallery

Astarte

I just bought the music pack and went ham on the lobbies. Despite not being able to connect to 90% of the people there, the 10% of the people I DID fight were already pretty badass. Thank goodness for Kanji's gameplan still remaining similar, minus his flying yolo dive being nerfed.

TWILT

Banned
Hmm, Yu in this game feels so different from his vanilla version. I feel like I have to relearn the entire character again; pretty much all of my combos don't work anymore. I'm probably gonna stick with him for a while before practicing Yukiko as my sub again...

He's still really fun though. I want to style so bad with this character lol; still gotta work on the timing for that hidden super too.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hmm, Yu in this game feels so different from his vanilla version. I feel like I have to relearn the entire character again; pretty much all of my combos don't work anymore. I'm probably gonna stick with him for a while before practicing Yukiko as my sub again...

He's still really fun though. I want to style so bad with this character lol; still gotta work on the timing for that hidden super too.

He's pretty simple though at least. Instead of sacrificing some damage for oki in areas, you basically get safe jumps and good damage instead.

I just bought the music pack and went ham on the lobbies. Despite not being able to connect to 90% of the people there, the 10% of the people I DID fight were already pretty badass. Thank goodness for Kanji's gameplan still remaining similar, minus his flying yolo dive being nerfed.

What did they do to that again? I have yet find a video explaining it. He can't jump backwards and do it anymore? And it's slower?
But can he not cancel into a chairfall that hits crouchers? I've been getting the impression the move is a lot more useful now.

Ken

What's the music pack so I know if I need to prep some JP PSN cards.

For the Japanese version:

-Marie won't be available at launch
-Adachi is free for first print physical copies, available at launch.
-Digital copies do not get Adachi for free, nor will he be available at launch to download separately. He will be released "at a later date"

When the Adachi news was initially released there was speculation here that he could be acquired for free even if you haven't bought the game, as long as you downloaded him during the first week of the game's release. I can't find him in either the Asian or Japan stores, so I guess he's not ready yet? If they end up releasing him after the one-week window, I think I'll consider just waiting for the US version so I can get both him and Marie for free.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Need to spend more time with everyone, but I was just not feeling any of the new characters at all. Went right back to Kuma.

When the Adachi news was initially released there was speculation here that he could be acquired for free even if you haven't bought the game, as long as you downloaded him during the first week of the game's release. I can't find him in either the Asian or Japan stores, so I guess he's not ready yet? If they end up releasing him after the one-week window, I think I'll consider just waiting for the US version so I can get both him and Marie for free.

I have Adachi playable on my physical copy. They're just holding him back for digital, for whatever reason.

Speaking of DLC, all the bonus stuff is on-disc, as expected. including the first P4 Arena story mode.

vg260

Speaking of DLC, all the bonus stuff is on-disc, as expected. including the first P4 Arena story mode.

Any idea what's going on with the new character color DLC? They have the relabeled old packs for the old characters, and a complete pack, but not the new ones separately.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Any idea what's going on with the new character color DLC? They have the relabeled old packs for the old characters, and a complete pack, but not the new ones separately.

Didn't check anything on the shop. Just started the game and with the codes I entered, had 18-20 colors for everyone, IIRC, plus glasses. Are there more?

OceanBlue

Basically picked up the game this iteration (I "played" the first game a little), and why is Aigis's BnB so difficult D:? I'm trying to do 5AA jA jB j2B 2B but the timing seems so tight that I either don't get the j2B or they land before I can get the 2B. I feel like there's some trick I'm missing because this seems too difficult for a basic BnB lol.

vg260

Didn't check anything on the shop. Just started the game and with the codes I entered, had 18-20 colors for everyone, IIRC, plus glasses. Are there more?

I'm not sure. I posted earlier in the thread what I saw on the Japanese store, and was confused. it looks like you'd miss out on some if you bought the P4A color DLC, unless you bought the complete pack since there didn't appear to be packs for the new characters separately.

None of my old characters have felt good to me, which is a huge bummer. At least I'm having a blast with Junpei, though, so I have a fallback plan if I can't make the others work.

FluxWaveZ

Seems that the designated North American online lobbies are 6-9, according to this Dustloop post.

Also, anyone want to play? I should stick to training mode, but I really just want to learn through actual matches right now.

Edit: Found a lobby, but anyone can message me whenever they want to play.

FluxWaveZ

Did Yosuke get faster or am I misremembering how he felt in the original version?

I don't think he's faster, but he's far better. Are you thinking of his new Sukukaja?

First newcomer to click with me, at least somewhat, is Adachi. Really interesting character to play as. Finally feel like I'm settling into the pace of things, somewhat.

Dantis

Does anyone know what the individual stats are on Golden Arena? I just kind of threw my points into random things yesterday and hoped for the best.

Busaiku

Top is Power, bottom is Speed.
Can't remember off-hand what the rest are, can you provide a screen (I don't have the game)?

Sophia

Damn, Yukari's combos are a bit difficult, but she's insanely fun to play. I think I might have my new main for Ultimax.

Damn, Yukari's combos are a bit difficult, but she's insanely fun to play. I think I might have my new main for Ultimax.

Not sticking with Aigis?

I really want to make yukari one of my mains, but i think her combos are to hard to execute practically during a match. Hopefully over time it will become easier

Sophia

Not sticking with Aigis?

I really want to make yukari one of my mains, but i think her combos are to hard to execute practically during a match. Hopefully over time it will become easier

I've been fooling around with others. I'll probably stick to Aigis as a second, or possibly Yukari as a second. I've taken to Yukari pretty quickly. Four online games so far and I won all four.

On that note, I'm loving the changes they did they did to Aigis's gameplay. Her auto combo is excellent now, and the removal of double Megido fire + stronger options really opens up the gameplay.

Pics_nao

Yeah I find her fun to use but that execution barrier is too damn high for me and my awful execution. Shame too since she and Minazuki were the only characters I was really interested in. Hoping the DLC characters are fun too.

Top Bottom