• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

ZeroX03

Banned
The stick's out in Japan, but not in North America yet. Madcatz are planning to bring it over soon.

Yeah I was just wondering about availability, because I can't see any Japanese import sites carrying it. I'll just wait and see if it hits Amazon then.

I accidentally got Labrys's challenge 25 done when the dummy autotech'd in the middle of 236236CD and it did like 9.4k. I dunno if that counts though, lol.

Astarte

Every time I have a pretty longish set with somebody, I always get sent hatemail for using Kanji. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, it's pretty demoralizing. Ah well, keep on truckin. Does anyone here use Rise? I have no idea how to fight her.

Nyoro SF

Every time I have a pretty longish set with somebody, I always get sent hatemail for using Kanji. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, it's pretty demoralizing. Ah well, keep on truckin. Does anyone here use Rise? I have no idea how to fight her.

PSHAW. Don't feel bad about that. Once you start reaching the higher levels the salt messages should definitely lower as you face people who can exploit his weaknesses better and the matches become more interesting.

Astarte

PSHAW. Don't feel bad about that. Once you start reaching the higher levels the salt messages should definitely lower as you face people who can exploit his weaknesses better and the matches become more interesting.

Yeah..it's just a matter of getting there :v I had a match against a higher level (way higher) Kanji who messaged me about tick throwing and not spamming SRK/command grabs.
Japanese players who play elizabeth are scary as hell; those hamon combos are ridiculous.

zoobzone

Where'd you get the stick from? Really interested in it but not seeing it anywhere.

Ordered from MadCatz via amazon.co.jp, they don't stock the stick anymore and the other resellers seem to have put a crazy markup on it.

The stick is great, however one tiny flaw I've found is that the plexiglass panel on top of the artwork can move from time to time during play. It feels weird but does not affect gameplay at all.

Anyway I just saw this on my twitter feed.
XpRKE6c.png

Apparently, someone met Marie on ranked match, which doesn't make sense considering the DLC doesn't come out for another week.

Nyoro SF

Ordered from MadCatz via amazon.co.jp, they don't stock the stick anymore and the other resellers seem to have put a crazy markup on it.

The stick is great, however one tiny flaw I've found is that the plexiglass panel on top of the artwork can move from time to time during play. It feels weird but does not affect gameplay at all.

Anyway I just saw this on my twitter feed.
XpRKE6c.png

Apparently, someone met Marie on ranked match, which doesn't make sense considering the DLC doesn't come out for another week.

Makes perfect sense my friend, she's on-disc 100% completed DLC kept there to attempt to keep fans from trading in the game.

That's why I was laughing when she was discovered as such, because it means hackers can just play her for free while paying customers just wait.

At least the best we can get out of it is hackers post-play impressions. I remember when they unlocked Kokonoe and they said "we're not sure if she's done because her damage scaling seems too lenient". L O L

ZeroX03

Banned

Darn yeah, the only ones I can find now are mad pricey. Guess I'll hope for a Western release.

Also just found out - because I'm slow - that Marie is going to be free DLC for the States too. This is awesome. I know I was hoping for all characters free lol, but I'll deal with just paying for Margaret.

I really hate to be "that guy," but holy crap. I've played Phoenix Wright in Marvel, Akatsuki in UNIEL and Bullet/Makoto in BBCP. I have NEVER been as frustrated by the struggle as I am with trying to play Labrys in this game. I'm still not sure what her strength is. Her mobility and normals are subpar, all of her long range options take too long to really be of any use in neutral. Her defensive options are weak. They took away her easiest setups into red axe super. I miss my old -1 5AA...

Carrying around this much salt isn't healthy.

Yosuke has changed in all the right ways, and now that I am getting the hang of him, I like him a lot than his Arena version. Out of the new characters so far, I think my favorite to play as has to be Ken. I want to try out ranked soon, and see which characters everyone are maining.

FluxWaveZ

There are probably going to be a bunch of Adachi players online after tomorrow night. I won't feel special anymore, heh.

Ken

Hopefully I'll get some matches in with more of them, getting blown up is no fun :<

If you got an early physical copy you could play as him day 1

Oh, I just got my physical copy but haven't redeemed the DLC code yet. Will do in a bit. Thanks for the info!

Busaiku

Whoops, I thought I was in FGW, sorry, we didn't go over this in the last page.
Still, the point is that it is extremely impractical/impossible.
It's just a combo video.

Katyusha

If that were actually a practical combo I couldn't imagine the salt levels of the player that gets hit by that.

I'd probably break my stick if that happened to me.

It's unfortunate that this video is probably gonna get more people to start shouting "kusoge," when this game is anything but one.

Rhapsody

Banned
Played it tonight. Got Narukami down easily. This character is ridiculous with his new options. Way better than P4U Narukami. Dash cancels, 236A/B, and air Zio's make him way too good. This character has turned into someone that gets to take less risks with greater reward.

And hearing from a friend, apparently there are netplay Adachis with a certain flowchart. Exciting...

FSLink

Banned
Played it tonight. Got Narukami down easily. This character is ridiculous with his new options. Way better than P4U Narukami. Dash cancels, 236A/B, and air Zio's make him way too good. This character has turned into someone that gets to take less risks with greater reward.

And hearing from a friend, apparently there are netplay Adachis with a certain flowchart. Exciting...

Yeah I'm enjoying Narukami so far too. Do you have any good resources for bnbs or is Dustloop pretty much the best place for now? I see he has some side switching stuff. :D

Shouta

After getting time in with KenKoro, I think. He's fine on offense if you're setting up Koro for pressure but on defense he has a hard time. None of his moves anti-air really well unless you really do it ahead of time because B is the only one with AA properties and it's on the second hit and is slow to come out. Additionally, Koro falls out of moves as soon as Ken blocks a move making him harder to use for anything but offense. You also can't really use 2a as a get off me either as it doesn't chain (as far as I can tell) making it harder to get, 5a pick-ups.

He's fun though. definitely need to get more lab time in with him.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah I'm enjoying Narukami so far too. Do you have any good resources for bnbs or is Dustloop pretty much the best place for now? I see he has some side switching stuff. :D

I haven't checked DL. I just took notes in my head from what Shikki and Yu-sama do in videos regarding pressure, combos, and mixups. Everything felt really natural that I'll only have to lab some of the small things that rarely come up.

I don't own the game though due to funds. I'm trying to hold out for the US release but people are getting a good headstart on me. I'm basically going to treat this like an arcade setting and just playing at gatherings or whatnot. It's unfortunate, but 70 dollars plus more for DLC is just too much for me.

After getting time in with KenKoro, I think. He's fine on offense if you're setting up Koro for pressure but on defense he has a hard time. Now of his moves anti-air really well unless you really do it ahead of time because B is the only one with AA properties and it's on the second hit and is slow to come out. Additionally, Koro falls out of moves as soon as Ken blocks a move making him harder to use for anything but offense. You also can't really use 2a as a get off me either as it doesn't chain (as far as I can tell) making it harder to get, 5a pick-ups.

He's fun though. definitely need to get more lab time in with him.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with what you're saying. If the momentum starts going against you it's kinda hard to get it back.

I understand why they made Koromaru able to get hit by anything at anytime but good god it's such a hindrance...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Question about the story mode. What is the gameplay like in this mode? Is it side scrolling beat em up style ala Dragon's Crown or is it still 1vs1 based? The OP makes it sound like it's the former.

Mdesilva

>Me: "Did I just discover a meterless combo route [for Yukari] from max range 5A?! It's really hard to execute but I've done it a few times already!"
> Checks frame data
> Is a real combo, but is a one frame link

fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Yosuke puts Sonic to shame with how fast he is. I dunno what they did to buff him but he's even more irritating than before. I have to keep Labrys in the shed and hope I can YOLO my way out with Kanji. I'm pretty sure he's the only dude in the game who puts ME in a mixup if I hit him with a DP.

Matchup woes aside Shadow Kanji is pretty fun. Comboing anything into 720 is pretty satisfying.

zoobzone

New DLC available today:

Character:
Adachi - 800 yen

BGM:
&#12304;&#12506;&#12523;&#12477;&#12490;&#30330;&#21205;&#12305; - &#12506;&#12523;&#12477;&#12490;&#30330;&#21205; - Free
&#12304;P3F&#12497;&#12483;&#12463;&#12305;- P3 fes, Brand New Days, &#38343; - 200 yen
&#12304;P4U&#12450;&#12524;&#12531;&#12472;&#12497;&#12483;&#12463;1&#12305;- Remix of The Ultimate, The Junes Hero, Like the Dragon - 200 yen

Maybe Wiping All Out is going to be one of their future music DLC?

vg260

For the Japanese version:

-Marie won't be available at launch
-Adachi is free for first print physical copies, available at launch.
-Digital copies do not get Adachi for free, nor will he be available at launch to download separately. He will be released "at a later date"

Does anyone know for sure how this will work for the US version for both digital and retail copies? I assume he was just going to be on the store for free for a week, but it sounds like it might not be working that way. I'm confused.

Mdesilva

Does anyone know for sure how this will work for the US version for both digital and retail copies? I assume he was just going to be on the store for free for a week, but it sounds like it might not be working that way. I'm confused.
Nah, it is. Japan just has it way different than us.

Top Bottom