• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

^u sayin the other games suck son?

Is there a reason why the game is called Persona 4 Gold instead of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 Gold.

Shin Megami Tensei is the umbrella series, Persona is a spinoff. In Japan, Persona and none of the other series, like Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, Digital Devil Saga, and etc have the SMT name on the box. They are collectively referred to along with the SMT games as the Megaten series. I guess they just finally started doing that here in the states too.

Sophia

Most likely they realized the Persona name can stand on it's own in western markets. Bet you anything the other non-branded SMT games will still get the SMT branding.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think SMT actually hurts it more than it helps it nowadays. It used to be good for nerd cred but now a casual might look at the box and go wtf are those words

Sera O

Banned
SoS sucks for me. I would answer a bunch of calls for help, and then when I get into battle, I'd have maybe one person who answered mine.

Yeah I'm not sure how helpful this will ever be. Last night I was running dry on SP near the top of R's club and thought I'd try saving some fox-monies and subsisting on SOS and Sarasvati's shuffle-improved Invigorate2. I ended up getting help from one person out of 7 attempts or something, and answering 9 or so calls for help. Of course it was something like 2am PST at that point - sleep is such a distant memory since getting VLR and P4G. I forgot how this game just makes time fly and renders me unfit for productive activities the next day.

I wanna see more classical music like what Persona 2 had for the Velvet Room tho.

Claire de Lune and Gymnopedie No. 1 <3

As for dropping the SMT it's a good idea. Persona has good recognition these days and has a quite different feel from other megaten games. Plus it's probably good to avoid stupidly long yet meaningless official titles. Remember Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army? Eyes glaze over a few words in lol

EDIT: So what do I have to do to unlock bug-catching? I want to fish more but I don't always remember to fill that shrine kid with sugary sodas.

Holy shit did they buff Chie's Black Spot ability or something? I'm 9/10 for critical hits with it.

EDIT: So what do I have to do to unlock bug-catching? I want to fish more but I don't always remember to fill that shrine kid with sugary sodas.

Eventually the sugar kid will mention that he lost his bug net and you go to the
shrine at night and the ghost lady will give it to you.

Sera O

Banned
Eventually the sugar kid will mention that he lost his bug net and you go to the
shrine at night and the ghost lady will give it to you.

I see, thanks for the info. I fed that bottomless cat like all of my stock, and I'm kind of regretting it now. Pig-cat's gotta slow that down.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So... I started a new game on Very Easy out of curiosity and wow, this mode...

Look at all the yens!! You'll never be in debt to Fox or Igor ever again!
Look at how much damage you can do!
Look at how little damage is inflicted on you!
Look at how fast you level up!
Wooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I guess if you're playing for the story, you'd want to go on Very Easy mode... Coming off of Very Hard, Very Easy is a luxury.

Sera O

Banned
Love those pieces, but Sh&#333;ji Meguro is probably the high point for modern music in video games.

I love Meguro's soundtracks too, but having those pieces in there really delineates the Velvet Room from the rest of the game setting. They do that with aria for the soul in the Velvet Room (it's a more chamber/traditional approach, but I'd prefer a string in there over the vocals). One thing I really appreciated in P2 was hearing different pieces in different locations, since messing around with fusion can be a chunk of time in itself. Aria suffers also because I spent so much time hearing it in all the iterations of P3 cycling fusions over and over again for skills.

Speaking of which, the skill-card and skill-choice streamlining in the fusion process is so, so appreciated this time around.

I guess if you're playing for the story, you'd want to go on Very Easy mode... Coming off of Very Hard, Very Easy is a luxury.

I like the sound of that...

What about makin a custom difficulty with all the xp and money values buffed all the way up

Jeels

IMG_20121129_184207.jpg

So ready. :D

Venfayth

Yeah. Dantis was bragging before about getting like 15k exp in a single fight in one of the earlier dungeons... >:l

Omikaru

The frequency of Wealth Hands, how easy they are to beat, and how much exp they give you is overkill imo. I don't even want to think of how much of a breeze this game would be on Easy or Very Easy. Jeez.

JJD

Man just got to the part where the guys finally get their scooter licenses and go to Okina City. Kanji follows then...
on his bicycle
! Lol! That guy is awesome! Hahaha!

He then ended
dumping then for 3 hours for what? Buying sewing or textile stuff???
Hahahahahahahaha!

This whole part of the game, the bet, and their actual attempts at hitting on girls were just hilarious! The girls that you could talk to were really funny too, even the police guy! Haha!

Seriously, funniest part of the game until now! I hope we get more stuff like this! Pure comedy gold!

And Kanji is just a badass! Lol!

I need a spin off Persona game staring Kanji Tatsumi! If it ever gets released I swear I'll gift it to 10 gaffers here! Hahaha!

Man just got to the part where the guys finally get their scooter licenses and go to Okina City. Kanji follows then...
on his bicycle

He then ended
Hahahahahahahaha!

This whole part of the game, the bet, and their actual attempts at hitting on girls were just hilarious! The girls that you could talk to were really funny too, even the police guy! Haha!

Seriously, funniest part of the game until now! I hope we get more stuff like this! Pure comedy gold!

I need a spin off Persona game staring Kanji Tatsumi! If it ever gets released I swear I'll gift it to 10 gaffers here! Hahaha!

Definitely a nice break from the usual daily activities! I actually laughed out loud, feels good to laugh with a game.

kewlmyc

on his bicycle

He then ended
Hahahahahahahaha!

He's the least popular P4 cast member and is considered a joke character. Never going to happen. :(

Golbez

zVoXMl.jpg

I just recently went through P3P, and the first time I managed to create a triple-auto Persona it took me more time than I care to remember. Skill choosing is glorious! I wonder what I should do with the time I got back? ...play more P4G.

zVoXMl.jpg

I just recently went through P3P, and the first time I managed to create a triple-auto Persona it took me more time than I care to remember. Skill choosing is glorious! I wonder what I should do with the time I got back? ...play more P4G.

Nice! I can't wait to do this. Yo Golbez, that guy's face reminds me of Asura.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah. Dantis was bragging before about getting like 15k exp in a single fight in one of the earlier dungeons... >:l
wtf, I'd kill for 15K XP. :/

I played through the first dungeon before you fight Shadow 2 and I got to Level 11 with very little effort on V. Easy. It was weird.

Ah well, back to the grind. Just realized the recommended level for Dungeon 3 was 32-36 on the JP wiki, and I assume that was on Normal... which means I've gotta beef up some more.

This is simply the best.

Kyon

Banned
for those wanting to max out all social links PLEASE try to clear dungeons in 1 day. You will have TONS of time after to max everything

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ROMSL (Round One Max Social Links) looks like it can be done in this version (even with the two extra ones), especially since you have more months to complete S. Links with. The only ones you have to be concerned with before November/December, it seems, are (late Persona 4 narrative spoilers)
the Dojima social links and possibly the Adachi Social Link
. This might be a little harder on Very Hard because there are times that you might want to do the dungeon across two days rather than doing it in one go.

The final day to complete all of your social links is
February 5th
, I think?

zychi

Banned
So I got the Vita Skin thing with my order that came today. I want to sell it, and figured I'd see if any gaffer was interested before I throw it on Amazon.

Figured this was the best place to post about it. Feel free to pm me if interested

p4g816.jpg

this is what i want to sell.

also, love this game, thanks gaf for recommending it to me :)

Squire

Banned
Conflicted about who to romance next (Yukiko is my GF now). I have Chie's S. Link at 7 and now that I'm actually interacting with Rise at school, she's... kind of... annoying.

I apologize for the slightly off-topic post, but I figure most persona fans will be hanging out here anyway :)

I am loving Persona 4. So much so that I want to try the others.

Persona 3:
Portable, or the FES version available on P3. I know that GAF thinks the portable version is much inferior to the FES version, but I am not sure why.

From what I understand:
* portable looks worse, and does not have the anime cutscene (but i could youtube them!)
* You don't navigate in the world, but choose from a menu whom to talk to. This hardly sounds like a problem to me? A big fear of mine in P4 at first was to miss 'interactable' items/people. That way I know I am not missing anything. Makes it a bit more artificial, maybe, but hardly sounds like a dealbreaker?
* P3P lets you control all characters. That sounds pretty major in support of P3P to me?
* Portable does not have FES, I presume?
* I am probably missing other cons of the portable version (so please tell me what they are!)
* playing the game on the vita would be thoroughly awesome. I wish the vita would support the PS2 emulated games.

So, GAF... which do I play???

Persona 1-2: From what I understand, they are grindfest (I like hard RPGs, but I hate grinding, so this sounds very bad to me). Should I skip? play with a hacked savegame, if such a thing exist?
How do I come to terms with the fact innocent sin is not on PSP ? :)

Top Bottom