• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

i dont care about the answer. But P3P is a soul-less husk of a persona game. Dont pretend it isnt after playing FES and P4G

I agree - nobody would argue that the Mystery Food X scene or water fall scene would be just as good as static sprites. Theatrics matter :)

Well, Kyon, soul-less might be a little harsh D:

Squire

Banned
Whoa, I see I can date Yuki/Chie AND Rise!
Not sure who I'll spend Christmas with, but I'm only in mid-July. I'll figure it out
. Awesome!

Varna

i dont care about the answer. But P3P is a soul-less husk of a persona game. Dont pretend it isnt after playing FES and P4G

I don't even know what you are talking about...how is it a soul-less husk? Because the shitty anime cutscenes are cut out? Because you can't roam around the same areas for 90 hours looking for a faint hint of something new?

No doubt the presentation took a hit, but dialogue is in tact. The narration does a decent enough job of conveying what is going on.

Battle system + dungeon crawling are completely in tact. I believe the game has more Persona and higher difficulty levels too.

All the nice additions from P4 are in.... team attacks, quick travel, etc.

So I'm not seeing the issue. The pros heavily outweight the cons (social links that aren't written like some crappy anime harem being a BIG pro for the female route).

IIRC Catherine was basically a test project for P5. So I'm pretty confident P5 will have a very similar engine/artstyle. Which is great because the character expressions in Catherine were really good.

This is kinda interesting - they abandoned the engine used for Catherine because they were unsatisfied with it, and started on a new engine for P5.

Art direction is still headed by Shigenori Soejima though (p3/P4/Catherine.)

Syrinx

At this point I'm not sure I could avoid a Valentine's Day disaster. I'm already on 7 with Yukiko and 4 with Chie and 3 with Rise. But it's early August and I have to get those skill boosts, dammit! I wager I'll be in knees-deep with all three, not to mention Yumi and the sexy nurse.

Maybe there's a way to fake a kidnapping or something.

Thoraxes

I don't even know what you are talking about...how is it a soul-less husk? Because the shitty anime cutscenes are cut out? Because you can't roam around the same areas for 90 hours looking for a faint hint of something new?

No doubt the presentation took a hit, but dialogue is in tact. The narration does a decent enough job of conveying what is going on.

Battle system + dungeon crawling are completely in tact. I believe the game has more Persona and higher difficulty levels too.

All the nice additions from P4 are in.... team attacks, quick travel, etc.

So I'm not seeing the issue. The pros heavily outweight the cons (social links that aren't written like some crappy anime harem being a BIG pro for the female route).

Idk, I like how everything is intact in P4G. I like running around the same areas and watching those shitty anime cutscenes. To my brain, I process this as more of an inhabited world that I can explore with my character based on different visual stimulus of a movable-around-in environment, which I like more.

Kyon

Banned

because this
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Idk, I like how everything is intact in P4G. I like running around the same areas and watching those shitty anime cutscenes. To my brain, I process this as more of an inhabited world that I can explore with my character based on different visual stimulus,of a movable-around-in environmen which I like more.

P3P is trash tho. Play this game instead k fanks ;)

God I hope I get this tomorrow. The tracking on the USPS website hasn't been updated in days, but the tracking on the Newegg site says it's in my area, so here's hoping.

Golbez

At this point I'm not sure I could avoid a Valentine's Day disaster. I'm already on 7 with Yukiko and 4 with Chie and 3 with Rise. But it's early August and I have to get those skill boosts, dammit! I wager I'll be in knees-deep with all three, not to mention Yumi and the sexy nurse.

Maybe there's a way to fake a kidnapping or something.
Just friend zone them!

Kyon

Banned
Sorry, I play both.

well as long you play the superior game P4G its cool ;)

Man, the motorbike scene in Okina with Yosuke as static sprites?! Not being able to run the length of the shopping district and watch birds fly out of your path? You just fucking know that somebody would be defending it, too.

God knows they defend that other abomination
ny15.gif

Varna

Idk, I like how everything is intact in P4G. I like running around the same areas and watching those shitty anime cutscenes. To my brain, I process this as more of an inhabited world that I can explore with my character based on different visual stimulus of a movable-around-in environment, which I like more.

The animations are much better in P4G.

Of course in a perfect world we would have Persona 3 Golden. I was just a bit surprised to see such negativity towards P3P. It's not perfect, but they do more then enough to compensate for the shortcomings with the added touches.

Thoraxes

The animations are much better in P4G.

Of course in a perfect world we would have Persona 3 Golden. I was just a bit surprised to see such negativity towards P3P. It's not perfect, but they do more then enough to compensate for the shortcomings with the added touches.

I'm only six hours in (cause my copy finally came in yesterday) and still in the first dungeon playing on Very Hard. I love grindan though, so i'm fine with it lol

Also with the movie coming out soon and the amount of remakes Atlus does for some good cash, I wouldn't entirely rule it out at this point.

God I hope I get this tomorrow. The tracking on the USPS website hasn't been updated in days, but the tracking on the Newegg site says it's in my area, so here's hoping.

I hope you like New Chie. Plenty don't like the dramatic change in tone. I'm in the minority and I like her almost as much as OG Chie.

Golbez

Is that even an option? I don't believe it is. Yeah I'm pretty sure it isn't. Shame, seems like Chie would be a great bro.
Sure it is, it's only Persona 3 that forces you onto the Lovers path. For most of them (like Chie and Yukiko), the option will come up during the Rank 9 event.

Syrinx

Sure it is, it's only Persona 3 that forces you onto the Lovers path. For most of them (like Chie and Yukiko), the option will come up during the Rank 9 event.

Huh. Really? That's actually really good. Persona 3 basically forcing you into romances with the girls in S-links was pretty annoying.

Still not sure if I'll do it though. You know. For the lols.

This game sort of forces Yukiko on you at times with that whole, "You feel Yukiko's faint love toward you..." stuff when are just pals. She also hits you with the bedroom eyes man. Dangerous.

Chie is the ultimate bro. The kind of girl that you become best buds with and then have sex on accident one night and never speak again. Fuck...

kuroshiki

SoS sucks for me. I would answer a bunch of calls for help, and then when I get into battle, I'd have maybe one person who answered mine.

Edit: Post 5,000! Woo!

Eh, I get like 1 answer at a time and rarely 3. but seriously it helps. I didn't pay fox a single PENNY until now. FUCK YOU FOX. FUCK YOU TO HELL.

Thoraxes

I hope you like New Chie. Plenty don't like the dramatic change in tone. I'm in the minority and I like her almost as much as OG Chie.

I played the original in Japanese so idk if this was in for the other Chie, but I like the kung-fu sounds this one makes when she beats shit up.

Eh, I get like 1 answer at a time and rarely 3. but seriously it helps. I didn't pay fox a single PENNY until now. FUCK YOU FOX. FUCK YOU TO HELL.

Playing this on Risky/Very Hard has me appreciating even 4SP so I can get one heal on someone between battles. It's useful.

ckohler

I was able to beat
Yukiko's Shadow
on my second attempt and after Fusing two new Persona for the first time. It still sucks I missed out on some good S. Links though when I didn't know what I was doing. :p Still, it as really satisfying to beat it. :) I'm playing on Normal, btw.

Also, I think it was almost necessary o dungeon crawl up to the final floor and then leave and come back the following day with full HP and SP. I can't imagine being able to do the entire dungeon in one long run. I had no-where enough SP and I think I only got one Item to restores it.

I was able to beat
Yukiko's Shadow
on my second attempt and after Fusing two new Persona for the first time. It still sucks I missed out on some good S. Links though when I didn't know what I was doing. :p Still, it as really satisfying to beat it. :) I'm playing on Normal, btw.

Also, I think it helped to dungeon crawl up to the final floor and then leave and come back the following day with full HP and SP. I can't imagine being able to do the entire dungeon in one run. So little SP.

Tiny Tomatoes from the garden are amazing - 20SP and easy to buy/farm.

ckohler

Tiny Tomatoes from the garden are amazing - 20SP and easy to buy/farm.

How do I start the farm?! I've bought two items from Junes from that lady assuming it's for my farm but I can't start the farm. Once again, the game doesn't tell you what to do and I couldn't figure it out. Nobody talks about the farm and clicking on the spot of land does nothing.

I have a weird problem.

Every time I start playing this game, the actual time in real life goes by really quickly.

I don't know if it's a bug or what... hopefully it gets patched.

How do I start the farm?! I've bought two items from Junes from that lady assuming it's for my farm but I can't start the farm. Once again, the game doesn't tell you what to do and I couldn't figure it out. Nobody talks about the farm and clicking on the spot of land does nothing.

Wait, farming? This version sounds like it has a lot more added stuff than I thought it did.

Neverfade

So I'm right after the first day of school and I have the option to go to different areas.

Uh.. What the fuck am I supposed to be doing? I don't seem to have a goal, and this game isn't doing any favors by just throwing me out to the wolves without any sort of explanation.

Edit: Ok, officers telling me to go home. Got it. Still curious as to when this opens up.

bigkrev

So I'm right after the first day of school and I have the option to go to different areas.

Uh.. What the fuck am I supposed to be doing? I don't seem to have a goal, and this game isn't doing any favors by just throwing me out to the wolves without any sort of explanation.

Do whatever you want. Go make friends, go eat meat bowls, go get a job, join a club- whatever you want. The game will let you know when you need to be doing main story stuff. Just take the game at your own pace

Dantis

Love those pieces, but Shōji Meguro is probably the high point for modern music in video games.

And Shigenori Soejima is the high point for art in current games.

Pretty much.

As an aside, Marie's theme is by Kitajoh, not Meguro, and it's amazing. This is the kind of music he excels at. I want more of this, and less of the crap that he's filled the Golden and Arena OSTs with.

Or to be honest, just take Kitajoh off Persona. Shoji is better off as a one-man army.

Sophia

Edit: Ok, officers telling me to go home. Got it. Still curious as to when this opens up.

And this is why the original game had a two hour long intro with no option to explore. :p

Only played 3 hours but i don't remember Persona 3 being this narratively lame, 4 seems way weaker to me.. The story is horribly paced, characters are generally less interesting or just flat out idiotic, every plot development is obviously telegraphed and there is a shit load of pointless/stupid dialogue. The voice acting is also pretty inconsistent, when that little girl sang the Junes song i wanted to throw my vita into a brick wall.

I loved Persona 3 if that makes these criticisms somewhat less nasty. I'm sure this will pick up when i'm through the intro phase but i'm reeeealllllly not feeling it so far.

Dantis

Only played 3 hours but i don't remember Persona 3 being this narratively lame, 4 seems way weaker to me.. The story is horribly paced, characters are generally less interesting or just flat out idiotic, every plot development is obviously telegraphed and there is a shit load of pointless/stupid dialogue. The voice acting is also pretty inconsistent, when that little girl sang the Junes song i wanted to throw my vita into a brick wall.

I loved Persona 3 if that makes these criticisms somewhat less nasty. I'm sure this will pick up when i'm through the intro phase but i'm reeeealllllly not feeling it so far.

Wut.

People are going to love this.

Also, the characters are miles more interesting in P4. All of P3's characters except for Yukari and Junpei were pretty stereotypical.

Top Bottom