• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

So, I started this up last night. My save game is just over an hour.

When do I get to start playing a video game?

I timed it this time and it took me 2hr 15 minutes to get past the intro (which I'm defining as everything before you get your 3rd party member & have the ability to choose how to spend your time). You do fight a couple bosses & explore one floor of a dungeon during that time so it's not all plot. I didn't skip any dialogue but I read pretty quickly so your individual time might be a little longer.

ckohler

I'd be curious to hear what somebody who has never played Persona 4 thinks about Chie. I wonder how much of her charm was that low alto, laid back voice.

I never played P4 before and for most of my playtime so far (9 hours?) Chie is my favorite girl in the game. Mostly, I just like the idea of a kick-butt, athletic girl with an over-the-top personality. She's crazy and fun and it's refreshing in a female anime-esqe character. Yukiko is obviously the perfect waifu but, whatever. Chie actually makes me laugh at times.

Now, I have to admit, when I showed the game to my friend and he heard Chie's voice (she was freaking out about Yukiko at the time) he was like "Whoa?! That girl needs to calm down!" It was then I realized she was a bit too over-excited in her vocal delivery. I hadn't noticed until he said it, to be honest.

Then as I was reading this thread I got curious and listened to her original voice. Yeah, this new Chie has definitely more of a "grating" quality at times compared to the original which was more in line with the rest of the voices (especially Yosuke). Then again, I do still like her voice a lot for those times when she gets excited because it's just kind of fun.

TL;DR: I like her voice in that it fits her character. However, it can get a little grating sometimes compared to the smooth, perfect delivery of the other characters like Yosuke and Dojima.

Alright...at wits end with AC3L, should I put it down in favor of playing P4g for the first time? Sorta want to play it while this thread is hot/relevant. Thoughts/ Provoking responses?

Omikaru

TL;DR: I like her voice in that it fits her character. However, it can get a little grating sometimes compared to the smooth, perfect delivery of the other characters like Yosuke and Dojima.

Pretty much how I feel about new Chie.

By the way, how're you enjoying this so far? I'm curious since I remember you being new to Persona and unsure about this game, so I hope you're having a good time with it. And since you're only 9 hours in, it's only going to get better...

ckohler

Alright...at wits end with AC3L, should I put it down in favor of playing P4g for the first time? Sorta want to play it while this thread is hot/relevant. Thoughts/ Provoking responses?

I did exactly this. I got to the swamp in AC3L and was like, 'meh'. The game just wasn't doing it for me. After some research, I decided to buy P4G and it has totally justified my Vita purchase. Are you into JRPGs, anime or Japanese culture? If you are, then this is a no brainer. If you aren't, then you should probably read up a bit about the game and see if you'll like that sort of thing.

This IGN review gives a pretty good explanation of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ba8LKmqYxA

Persona86

Banned
I'm used to the Japanese Voices (I bought the PAL game, but later downloaded a version with Japanese voice and English writing), which I enjoyed (except maybe teddie's whiny voice haha), so I have no idea what this Chie would feel like if I play this version. In fact it might put me off buying it.

P.S I have put many hours into both P3 FES and P4 and I still haven't finished them haha, I could say the same about Nocturne too. They are the type of games I like taking my time with. I might get back to P3 today actually.

I never played P4 before and for most of my playtime so far (9 hours?) Chie is my favorite girl in the game. Mostly, I just like the idea of a kick-butt, athletic girl with an over-the-top personality. She's crazy and fun and it's refreshing in a female anime-esqe character. Yukiko is obviously the perfect waifu but, whatever. Chie actually makes me laugh at times.

Now, I have to admit, when I showed the game to my friend and he heard Chie's voice (she was freaking out about Yukiko at the time) he was like "Whoa?! That girl needs to calm down!" It was then I realized she was a bit too over-excited in her vocal delivery. I hadn't noticed until he said it, to be honest.

Then as I was reading this thread I got curious and listened to her original voice. Yeah, this new Chie has definitely more of a "grating" quality at times compared to the original which was more in line with the rest of the voices (especially Yosuke). Then again, I do still like her voice a lot for those times when she gets excited because it's just kind of fun.

Yeah, Chie is great. It's cool to have a Chariot in the group.

iF4dNZIbHY6IG.gif

What kind of random unjustified hate towards Nanako. How can someone not like the Junes jingle? Bizarre.

Bye.

You're making assumptions without even playing past the first hour.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

These are awesome :)

Lombax

Banned
Having never played P4 and listening to the guys on the Bombcast this week I have a question. Is it advised to play this game with a FAQ? Sounds like you can miss a lot of things, would that then screw you in the end?

My party was destroyed by the first(?) optional boss in
Yukiko's Castle
. Is that something I can come back to later when my party is stronger?

pyrandes

Having never played P4 and listening to the guys on the Bombcast this week I have a question. Is it advised to play this game with a FAQ? Sounds like you can miss a lot of things, would that then screw you in the end?

Unless youre super insistent on doing a R1 Max Social Link, Id say to avoid FAQs and just play thru how you want. You will miss some stuff, but may get more put of it.

2nd thru, tho, all bets are off ;).

Yukiko's Castle

Yes, it is too strong to fight right after the castle. Defeating the boss nets you an exclusive weapon. Do not forget to talk to Yosuke and return to the Shadow Liquor Shop to pick up his exclusive wrenches and the quest alcohol Mori Ranmaru.

Duffyside

Banned

I think as long as you keep multiple saves you'll be fine. There may be a couple of points where you won't make the "right decisions," but then you can go back to a point before then later on if you want to change things or see how things can play out differently.

I would only use a guide if I wanted to get all the trophies.

To add to the neverending Chie voice talk, I don't mind the new voice and still think she's awesome. However, the one complaint is that it the levels don't seem to match the other characters. I'm just listening to it out of the Vita, but it's very noticeable sometimes. It's a combination of her usually being loud in delivery, but I feel like it could've been at least turned down during production so I didn't feel like I had to bump my Vita volume down a couple notches when she's going at it.

I'd enjoy it without a FAQ your first time through. If you're playing via wifi or 3G, I suggest using the bubble feature where it tells you what other players did that day, it's a cool feature and adds a social element without feeling like you're cheating or feeling like you HAVE to do a certain thing or you're playing the game wrong.

suikodan

Yukiko's Castle

Yeah I did get destroyed as well. I understand why my teammates were uncomfortable returning there.

And about that (long) intro, I did like it. And I'm waiting for AC3L to get patched before playing it, just as I waited for AC3 to get patched before playing it.

Trigger

I think as long as you keep multiple saves you'll be fine. There may be a couple of points where you won't make the "right decisions," but then you can go back to a point before then later on if you want to change things or see how things can play out differently.

I would only use a guide if I wanted to get all the trophies.

This is solid advice. I think there's only one time you'll need multiple saves though.

Curufinwe

Saw there were a couple more reviews on gamerankings, including EGM's. Shidoshi not using direct control of the party members was a surprise.

pyrandes

Thats interesting. What difficulty did Shidoshi play on? I could never imagine playing thru V Hard without using direct control.

This is solid advice. I think there's only one time you'll need multiple saves though.
Now I'm going to be constantly worrying about this, haha. "Was that the moment!?"

I've been going for the minimum exposure approach with this one since I feel like I generally enjoy games more that way. I've looked into stuff enough to get an idea of how the mechanics work and get a basic understanding of things but I'm not going to worry about doing everything "right" and all of that.

neoemonk

I tried doing P3 with an FAQ and I found it really boring. Enjoy the game and explore and don't worry about screwing up. It's a looong game. There's more to do in this as well.

neoemonk

Yukiko's Castle

You can do it but (at least in the PS2 version) it takes a good setup and a little bit of luck with
rampage
. I was able to do it on expert after losing at least ten times. Probably not worth it honestly unless you just want to say you did it.

Playing with a guide to max everything is totally the wrong way to play it. I am a fan of experiencing a game the first time, play what you want to play it like, THEN in new game +. go max everything.

To be quite honest I thought Chie was a weak point in the original voice cast. It just sounded so 'phoned in' and I don't think it fit her. Though I do think the new Chie can be a bit... enthusiastic at times, I think it fits her character much more than the original.

I timed it this time and it took me 2hr 15 minutes to get past the intro (which I'm defining as everything before you get your 3rd party member & have the ability to choose how to spend your time).

I'm three hours in and haven't hit that point yet. Regardless, I'm loving every second of it. I almost don't want it to get to the "game" part because I'm worried that's where I'm gonna get turned off of it, but I can already tell this game is going to have a ton of depth to the combat system and am pretty excited for it.

MST3K'ing Ryan eating himself into a coma? No idea.

I've watched some of the P4 endurance run and while I am not a huge fan of Chie in P4G I can't believe how off the one in the original game seems. She sounds 40.

Hence why I said a while back, both her VAs suck. Out of the two, I slightly prefer the newer one. Or at least it's a tad bit more palatable. Even if she yells out every other word.

Put down AC3L until it is patched. What is your issue with the game currently?

No issue currently, I just hate having to hold down the r trigger, mine is sort of muted less responsive than the left and it bothers the s outta me, and it just hasn't hooked me, was trying to complete it before passing onto P4g which has been staring at me from my desk for over a week and some.

I did exactly this. I got to the swamp in AC3L and was like, 'meh'. The game just wasn't doing it for me. After some research, I decided to buy P4G and it has totally justified my Vita purchase. Are you into JRPGs, anime or Japanese culture? If you are, then this is a no brainer. If you aren't, then you should probably read up a bit about the game and see if you'll like that sort of thing.

This IGN review gives a pretty good explanation of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ba8LKmqYxA

Sorry I may have been misleading, I do enjoy jrpgs, just wasn't sure about dropping AC3L to start this because I more than likely will not return to ac3, I am with you a bit too, the game is a mediocre feeling to me as well, plus my r trigger is less responsive than my left since launch , and every time I have to hold it in in AC it reminds me and makes me worried about having to back up my vita and load it to a new one...

Top Bottom