• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Thoraxes

Only played 3 hours but i don't remember Persona 3 being this narratively lame, 4 seems way weaker to me.. The story is horribly paced, characters are generally less interesting or just flat out idiotic, every plot development is obviously telegraphed and there is a shit load of pointless/stupid dialogue. The voice acting is also pretty inconsistent, when that little girl sang the Junes song i wanted to throw my vita into a brick wall.

I loved Persona 3 if that makes these criticisms somewhat less nasty. I'm sure this will pick up when i'm through the intro phase but i'm reeeealllllly not feeling it so far.

Just press the start button twice to skip over the long-ass intro fluff. Aside from the initial character introductions (which, watch/read/listen to those), there's nothing you can't learn outside of normal gameplay, especially if you've at least played P3.

The game story takes forever to pick up though (maybe this is remedied in Golden? I'm not that far in yet because i'm playing on Very Hard). But once you hit like, the ~4th dungeon it gets interesting and then cooks decently till the end.

Flek

Banned
i would
love them do make a real persona 3 for vita fuck the locost graphics of p3p

edit: haha buddha sory man but please consider people whos ps2 died before they could play persona 3 and afaik persona 3 fes isnt out in the euro ps3 store :(

After a 30+ min fight with Shadow Yukiko, I finally beat her!!! physical attacks with my personas when she cast white wall and bufu when it´s gone...

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Only played 3 hours but i don't remember Persona 3 being this narratively lame, 4 seems way weaker to me.. The story is horribly paced, characters are generally less interesting or just flat out idiotic, every plot development is obviously telegraphed and there is a shit load of pointless/stupid dialogue. The voice acting is also pretty inconsistent, when that little girl sang the Junes song i wanted to throw my vita into a brick wall.

I loved Persona 3 if that makes these criticisms somewhat less nasty. I'm sure this will pick up when i'm through the intro phase but i'm reeeealllllly not feeling it so far.
I can see where you're coming from, but considering most people who enjoy Persona 4 enjoy it because of the characters and writing, and scenes like Nanako singing the Junes song are meant to endear you to the character, I don't think the game is for you. Once the game opens up, it becomes better, but I still find the long story sections to be irritating.

I know it won't help because it is rightfully criticized for the gameplay, but Persona 2 is closer in tone to p3 than p4 if story is what you care about

Yeah, I was pretty much the same way but I hadn't played P3 yet. Actually, the only other Persona game that I had played was Persona 2 EP back in the PS1 era! I hate to use this stereotype, but I was pretty much an impatient dudebro prior to playing Persona 4 - the only RPG I played in a span of about 2 years was WoW.

But, after a slow start, the game began to get hooks into me - characters that I thought were freaking morons, namely Yosuke and Chie, started to become my favorite characters. It's like people in real life, you don't always get a good first or second impression; (ie, Nanako's child-like affinity to a corporate jingle and singing it in your face) but over time, the good of the writing outshines the rest. Definitely a slow burn, please give it a little more time if you got the patience :)

sikkinixx

Chie'a new voice is almost unbearable (lulz). She sounds stupid, I don't know if that's what the actress was going for but chie now sounds like a whiny stupid girl. Terrible. Fuck it makes me annoyed too because otherwise I'm really impressed with this package so far. Even teddies voice is decent, a bit more mellow and flatter than before.

So Best Buy is selling the pre-order bonus Vita skin that came with the game on their site for $10. I'm not sure I really approve of the notion, but if people really want it and missed out cause they bought the game digitally or whatever, then here's a link for it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/P4G%3A+Persona+4+Golden+Skin+and+Wallpaper+Set+for+PS+Vita+%28Gift+with+Pre-Order%29+-+PS+Vita/7152048.p?id=1218831441285

I bought P4G on Amazon Black Friday last week and the game shipped with the skin.. Maybe I just lucked out

Yeah, I was pretty much the same way but I hadn't played P3 yet. Actually, the only other Persona game that I had played was Persona 2 EP back in the PS1 era! I hate to use this stereotype, but I was pretty much an impatient dudebro prior to playing Persona 4 - the only RPG I played in a span of about 2 years was WoW.

But, after a slow start, the game began to get hooks into me - characters that I thought were freaking morons, namely Yosuke and Chie, started to become my favorite characters. It's like people in real life, you don't always get a good first or second impression; (ie, Nanako's child-like affinity to a corporate jingle and singing it in your face) but over time, the good of the writing outshines the rest. Definitely a slow burn, please give it a little more time if you got the patience :)

I considered myself a dudebro back then too. I mostly only played shooters or racing games as a kid and a teen. There was a few Japanese series I did enjoy though. You can already see where this is going. FEATURING DANTE FROM THE DEVIL MAY CRY SERIES! Yep, I got my start in Megaten through Nocturne, because of that. Nocturne is almost my favorite game of all time. Then I tried Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, and enjoyed them greatly. Then I Persona 3'd and wat'd. Screw this animu dating bullshit. I was one of those People who positioned Persona 3 as a series destroyer, you know, one of those rambling hardcore megaten fans. Then Persona 4 came out and I ugh'd at it being a Persona 3 retread. I eventually watched Giant Bomb's Endurance Run, then figured it looked ok, and played along the Endurance Run. I love Persona 4. Then I went back and gave 3 a more fair chance, and ended up enjoying it, but 4 is better. These days, I try to give every game a fair shake, and I grew to like many games and genres I would have never tried before.

Chie'a new voice is almost unbearable (lulz). She sounds stupid, I don't know if that's what the actress was going for but chie now sounds like a whiny stupid girl. Terrible. Fuck it makes me annoyed too because otherwise I'm really impressed with this package so far. Even teddies voice is decent, a bit more mellow and flatter than before.

New Teddie is quiet good. I get the sense that it's the same character

Chie had a chill, tomboy-ish quality to her that feigned being girly whenever Yukiko was around. The new VO is really... not Chie? I dunno. It's not the same character

I shouldn't have started this game so close to finals week. I am hopelessly addicted. For some reason, I couldn't get past like 5 hours in the PS2 version, but it feels right at home on a handheld, and I've already played 8 hours since I got my Vita.

New Teddie is quiet good. I get the sense that it's the same character

Chie had a chill, tomboy-ish quality to her that feigned being girly whenever Yukiko was around. The new VO is really... not Chie? I dunno. It's not the same character

This new Chie is closer to the original Japanese Chie than the old one, we simply got used to our own version of Chie.

I shouldn't have started this game so close to finals week. I am hopelessly addicted. For some reason, I couldn't get past like 5 hours in the PS2 version, but it feels right at home on a handheld, and I've already played 8 hours since I got my Vita.

^^yep

I let my Vita die and didn't charge it just so I couldn't pick it up and play.

Just study at the library on rainy days and you should be able to fit both into your schedule.

I'd be curious to hear what somebody who has never played Persona 4 thinks about Chie. I wonder how much of her charm was that low alto, laid back voice.
I've never played P4 until Golden (about 12 hours in now) and I am kind of so-so with Chie. Her voice acting is good in the sense that it feels well acted but I would probably like her character more if she was a little less loud and a little more laid back.

Trigger

Really? Difficulty and level?

I'm at level 75 on hard.
I unlocked the third forms of Chie, Kanji, Rise, and Teddie's personae so I've got a pretty good party, but the dungeon likes to suck up my SP. It doesn't help that my equipment is gone, so now my MC can't go wild with megidoloan spells.

Dantis

I'm at level 75 on hard.
I unlocked the third forms of Chie, Kanji, Rise, and Teddie's personae so I've got a pretty good party, but the dungeon likes to suck up my SP. It doesn't help that my equipment is gone, so now my MC can't go wild with megidoloan spells.

Ah, I was only on normal, and I was nearly ten levels higher.

I found that dungeon a real ballache because of the forced battles. It looks and sounds nice at least though.

Bullza2o

I know, man. I planned on studying a lot this week, but instead I played 18 hours of Persona since Monday.

Neverfade

And this is why the original game had a two hour long intro with no option to explore. :p

I'm not seeing how this is much different. Sure, I got that option to go to the different areas but it was all just police officers telling me to go home. It was pointless.

I am considering posting a monster size post about comparing each persona games characters, gameplay, schools, cities, secondary antagonists, primary antagonists, music, side characters, main Personae, etc. Am I crazy?

I brought my Vita to work today to play this if I have any downtime. I'm 30 years old and this is the first time I've ever brought a gaming system to work. So, that should tell you something about what I think of Persona 4.

I am considering posting a monster size post about comparing each persona games characters, gameplay, schools, cities, secondary antagonists, primary antagonists, music, side characters, main Personae, etc. Am I crazy?

That would be awesome! However, it's up to you where and how you want to post that kind of information. I'm working on the spoiler thread right now, but I'm not sure what people may consider spoiler by association, so I'm tagging spoilers from P1-P3.

I brought my Vita to work today to play this if I have any downtime. I'm 30 years old and this is the first time I've ever brought a gaming system to work. So, that should tell you something about what I think of Persona 4.

Can I... hug you? Manly hug. Of respect :)

Trigger

Yes, but hell why not? If a person doesn't want to read it they can just ignore it.

Dantis

Is there an OST available for this game?

There are two. The Persona 4 OST and the Persona 4: The Golden OST.

Most of the music you'll be hearing will be off the standard OST. The only really notable tracks from The Golden OST are Shadow World, Time To Make History, Snowflakes and Memory.

You can import them both from CD Japan.

If Armada is gonna make a spoiler topic, I shall wait till then son

You should just call that topic Persona Series spoilers then Armada

LuuKyK

when that little girl sang the Junes song i wanted to throw my vita into a brick wall.

iF4dNZIbHY6IG.gif

What kind of random unjustified hate towards Nanako. How can someone not like the Junes jingle? Bizarre.

Persona86

Banned

Keep playing...

So, I started this up last night. My save game is just over an hour.

When do I get to start playing a video game?

I still prefer this than the intro of Kingdom Hearts 2.

Also, I like the subtle presentation of the social links that appears like a tipical npc insome places.

Top Bottom