• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Guys, those of you who got the Solid Gold Edition from Amazon, how was the packaging? Did they use any bubble wrap inside or anything?

I'm asking because in order to get that edition I had to send it to one of those package forwarding services since I don't live in the US.

This is the first time I will be using this so it would be handy to know how Amazon packages it, that way I can decide whether I should have it sent to me in the same box (in case it's securely packaged) or have them replace it with something else.

Any input is appreciated.

Guys, those of you who got the Solid Gold Edition from Amazon, how was the packaging? Did they use any bubble wrap inside or anything?

I'm asking because in order to get it I had to send it to one of those package forwarding services since I don't live in the US.

This is the first time I will be using this so it would be handy to know how Amazon packages it, that way I can decide whether I should have it sent to me in the same box (in case it's securely packaged) or have them replace it with something else.

I got hit with a crushed box for Record of Agarest War Zero which I eventually replaced, so I was hesitant to go with them for P4G, but I managed to get it preordered very early when it was $59.99 so I decided to take a chance. It arrived flawless in a cardboard box with those little air cushions so that it couldn't bounce around. Disclaimer though, I live like two cities away from the distribution center so it didn't have very far to go.

We'll just have to accept her, imperfections and all.

2314258-chie_satonaka_riding_a_steak_trough_space_by_iastudio_d5dlc1s_super.jpg

<3

Bullza2o

Level 42 and finished dungeon 4. It feels so good after beating that boss. Got 2 people knocked out, the other 2 in very low health. Yukiko kept healing and the other 2 got revived. I guess it was luck that the boss kept attacking Yukiko, but she's wearing armor with 40 evasion so she never got hit. It is challenging that is just right.

I admit I had to look at a guide though, but that's only for the attack pattern. Not completely cheating right?

mollipen

Saw there were a couple more reviews on gamerankings, including EGM's. Shidoshi not using direct control of the party members was a surprise.

Thats interesting. What difficulty did Shidoshi play on? I could never imagine playing thru V Hard without using direct control.

The game I ran for the review I played on Normal. I wanted a challenge, but also not so much that I'd get bogged down due to challenge when trying to play the game for review. So, because of that, I was typically fine running with AI-controlled party members.

The way I played P4 back on the PS2, and the way I play P4G, is that I try to play as much as possible with my team running under AI. I'll usually switch them over for the bosses, but otherwise, I much more enjoy the game when I feel like my team are actual, living characters.

The problem I have is that, like 85%~90% of the time, I'm totally happy with the game's AI. But then, at seemingly random times, my teammates will acted like the stupidest people in the entire world, and I want to throw my Vita out the window.

I would love, love, love to see Atlus implement something like what Square had in FFXII for Persona 5. Give me a bit more control over how my party handles different situations, beyond just the basic couple of choices we get now.

Also—and maybe I'm wrong about that—I almost feel like the game is a bit worse at paying attention to what strengths/weaknesses we've already uncovered on a shadow, versus how original P4 was.

Now, I have to admit, when I showed the game to my friend and he heard Chie's voice (she was freaking out about Yukiko at the time) he was like "Whoa?! That girl needs to calm down!" It was then I realized she was a bit too over-excited in her vocal delivery. I hadn't noticed until he said it, to be honest.

She overemphasizes every little thing, just like the voice actors and presenters on a toddlers television show, it annoys the crap out of me. Every time she starts talking I swear she is about to get me to start a chorus of "Swiper no swiping!"

I would love, love, love to see Atlus implement something like what Square had in FFXII for Persona 5. Give me a bit more control over how my party handles different situations, beyond just the basic couple of choices we get now.

I'd actually love for Atlus to have a take at FFXII's open world combat. Maybe 1More/Crit/Weak triggers some sort of quasi-push turn style battle to mix things up a bit.

Oh and shidoshi, you have a blog?

i'm about 18 hour in to the game right now, and for the entire time i was all like "man, this weapon shop fucking sucks." but then 2 minutes ago i figured out i can sell materials and get new stuff. so i sold all my materials at once, collected about 60,000 persona dollars, and had to wait while the weapon master built like 50 items.

Varna

Just made it to the fourth dungeon. Shortly after is where I stopped playing the game before.

I actually really liked the story and general atmosphere in this one. It really reminds me of old school SMT. Not just because of the visuals, but the dialogue and generally creepiness as well.

Oh man, it's horrible that I own the standard edition and still tempted to buy this for the extras. Please go out of stock soon, Amazon, so I'm not tempted.

There was supposedly only 230 or so you could add to your cart a little bit ago so it should go pretty damn quick.

And OOS
sold out while I was checking my funds to see if could swing it.

? Shows in stock for me? Check again?

Edit: Ok, now it finally says out of stock for me.

Syrinx

August 11

So I caught Mitsuo. Man, that shadow fight was a major pain in the ass, what with the pixelated thing casting gigadyne or whatever every other turn it seemed. Got through it though. Kinda disappointed that he had no motives other than being an attention-seeking psychopath. I mean, the killer being a psychopath is fine and it leads to a pretty scary dude, but the payoff just isn't nearly as rewarding. That being said, I know this isn't even close to being over, so I'll keep going.

Got the omelette scene too. That whole thing was great. First Rise was trolling Yukiko and Chie in the supermarket, then Kanji trying to buy booze, then everybody's omelette being terrible (no surprises there). And Nanako liking all of them (or just being too sweet to say otherwise). Oh, and that scene between Teddie and Nanako. Adorable.

I know there's still a lot more here, but I'm not exactly sure where they'll go other that maybe Mitsuo escaping custody or something. We'll see.

UberTag

i'm about 18 hour in to the game right now, and for the entire time i was all like "man, this weapon shop fucking sucks." but then 2 minutes ago i figured out i can sell materials and get new stuff. so i sold all my materials at once, collected about 60,000 persona dollars, and had to wait while the weapon master built like 50 items.
The completist in me wouldn't let me leave the first dungeon without grinding all of the critters for all of the available weapon/equipment components, all of the personas available through Shuffle, all but two of the Level 1 skill cards (still need to get that pesky Sharp Student), all of the noteworthy random items from the locked chests, all of the jewels needed for the first round of custom weapons, the treasure hand achievement... would have stayed to farm Quest items as well if they were unlocked at that point.

So damn obsessive compulsive. :(

PowerTaxi

Banned
I think rotating the party while sprinting through dungeons 2 and 3 has seriously messed up my thoughts with regard to who I want to use full time. Their levels are all over the place.

Golbez

I think rotating the party while sprinting through dungeons 2 and 3 has seriously messed up my thoughts with regard to who I want to use full time. Their levels are all over the place.
Really? I keep everyone (other than the MC, of course) balanced by always bringing whoever has the lowest level with me.

Dantis

August 11

So I caught Mitsuo. Man, that shadow fight was a major pain in the ass, what with the pixelated thing casting gigadyne or whatever every other turn it seemed. Got through it though. Kinda disappointed that he had no motives other than being an attention-seeking psychopath. I mean, the killer being a psychopath is fine and it leads to a pretty scary dude, but the payoff just isn't nearly as rewarding. That being said, I know this isn't even close to being over, so I'll keep going.

Got the omelette scene too. That whole thing was great. First Rise was trolling Yukiko and Chie in the supermarket, then Kanji trying to buy booze, then everybody's omelette being terrible (no surprises there). And Nanako liking all of them (or just being too sweet to say otherwise). Oh, and that scene between Teddie and Nanako. Adorable.

I know there's still a lot more here, but I'm not exactly sure where they'll go other that maybe Mitsuo escaping custody or something. We'll see.

OHOHOHO. JUST YOU WAIT. :)

PowerTaxi

Banned
Really? I keep everyone (other than the MC, of course) balanced by always bringing whoever has the lowest level with me.

It was caused mostly due to golden hands. So much experience...

Edit: I normally use the original quartet but I've been subbing Kanji for Chie recently so she is about 5 levels behind.

Here is an example of how this game can suck... Standard scene in the food court or whatever >>> cut to weirdly written scene where you see Yuki and talk to about how she is wearing a kamino >>> cut to even weirder scene where Yuki is interviewed on tv and the kamino is mentioned again >>> cut to you in your room seeing "someone" on the shadow channel wearing a kamino! But who could it be????

This moron main character can't even make the connection, so i guess tomorrow i'm wading through more dialogue where he and his buddies slowly piece it together. Dora the explorer is better written than this crap.

Here is an example of how this game can suck... Standard scene in the food court or whatever >>> cut to weirdly written scene where you see Yuki and talk to about how she is wearing a kamino >>> cut to even weirder scene where Yuki is interviewed on tv and the kamino is mentioned again >>> cut to you in your room seeing "someone" on the shadow channel wearing a kamino! But who could it be????

This moron main character can't even make the connection, so i guess tomorrow i'm wading through more dialogue where he and his buddies slowly piece it together. Dora the explorer is better written than this crap.

Situations like this happen quite a bit in this game, beware of that, hah.

Golbez

Well, someone has to link it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0aAPQmE_Is&feature=player_detailpage#t=653s - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Dantis

Kimono. And I think the idea was that the picture would be fuzzy and staticy, but they're working with PS2 tech. I agree that they should catch on faster though.

Either way, it's a pretty minor thing. I wouldn't let it drag down the experience for you.

P90

Uhhhh. It is kimono. Obviously, you don't like the game as a whole. Re-sell the game. Everything is all fixed.

Varna

Absolutely. This is exactly what I was saying quiet a few pages back. Basically the writers assumed anyone playing this game must be an absolute moron who can't form coherent thoughts.

It doesn't get any better.

It drags the quality of the story down.

At least dungeon crawling is mostly left up to the player to figure out. But there are certainly moments when the game feels like it needs to give a complete obvious answer. There is a boss that has a move the charges. It's obvious charging up a super powerful attack but yet again some NPC has to chime in a say "Hey, looks like it's charging an attack! You should watch out for that."

Kimono. And I think the idea was that the picture would be fuzzy and staticy, but they're working with PS2 tech. I agree that they should catch on faster though.

Either way, it's a pretty minor thing. I wouldn't let it drag down the experience for you.

The exposition makes up a pretty substantial portion of the dialogue. It's more then a minor issue. Though ultimate one must learn to ignore it if they want to enjoy the game. It's just frustrating since it slows down the entire process. If they really wanted to convey a mystery in who the next victim is there are a whole lot of better ways to handle it.

Syrinx

Late August.

So I went to the festival first, and all the girls were wearing yakata or whatever. Rise really needs to stop asking who my dude thinks looks the best; there's no way in that situation to not piss somebody off. And this time I HAD to pick one of them. Anyway, my dude totally got screwed out of a date by Teddie, who somehow ended up going with all three. Ah well, he ended up blowing it, so haha fuck you Teddie. Anyway, the festival lasted another day, and Rise did not hesitate one moment to call my dude and ask him there. That girl is a fucking SHARK. I can only imagine a Valentine's Day debacle with her.

Then came the infamous beach scene. First off, what were my dude and Yukiko doing in the water. They had their arms latched together or something. Maybe he was holding her arms while she swam or something, but they didn't seem to be moving. Anyway, Kanji somehow had a wardrobe malfunction. How is that even possible when you're wearing a speedo? Those things are supposed to hold on tight. Anyway, the scene that played out was fucking hilarious, especially Teddie being used as his cover and being traumatized. Kanji got a raw deal with the girls calling him a sicko; it wasn't his fault, and it was Teddie doing the perverted stuff.

This game keeps on giving.

Uhhhh. It is kimono. Obviously, you don't like the game as a whole. Re-sell the game. Everything is all fixed.

I am liking it more the further i play, still prefer P3 but i'm slooooowly warming to 4. Almost 5 hours in now and nearly everything is opened up and i can totter around doing my own shit which is what i enjoy most.

Varna

Physical attacks are a bit OP. I got Ose in a fusion accident fairly early and I have been using him since the third dungeon (about to finish the fourth). He is nearly level 40 now. Atom Smash is no joke.

I'm asking because in order to get that edition I had to send it to one of those package forwarding services since I don't live in the US.

Mine was in one of their smallest boxes (A3 I believe is the size) and they had put airbags in it to cushion it. The Solid Gold box itself was in pristine condition.

Top Bottom