• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

When you need specific items for people to fulfill a quest, and those items are supposedly in the dungeons, are they just random drops from the enemies or what?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
When you need specific items for people to fulfill a quest, and those items are supposedly in the dungeons, are they just random drops from the enemies or what?

I'd love to know this as well.

They're mostly drops from specific enemies. Usually if you talk to the quest giver he or she will give you a hint on what enemy it is and which dungeon. The items usually don't drop until you get the quests.

No, but you keep your statues, so it's easier to start up the links that have a requirement.

Looks like I'm gonna be using a guide because I didn't even find some of the links on my first time through. And I only maxed 13, including all the story based ones.

Most of them do drop from specific enemies and unless it was changed from the PS2 game, those enemies will only start dropping those items after you've accepted the quest.

The quest givers will give you hints as to what enemies those are, as well as which dungeon to find them in.

Also worth noting, these items will are different from the materials enemies drop in the dungeons, so no need to worry about accidentally selling them when you sell all your materials to the weapon shop.

Ken

Wow I cannot find this person to start Kanji's SL. Is she on the 2nd floor of classroom building on Tue, Thu, and Sat on non-rainy days like Google is telling me?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Wow I cannot find this person to start Kanji's SL. Is she on the 2nd floor of classroom building on Tue, Thu, and Sat on non-rainy days like Google is telling me?

I think you have to talk to Kanji first. He'll tell you someone is talking about him on the second floor or whatever. He's on the first floor of the practice building.

Ok, so I made it farther than I did in the PS2 version
(I quit that one in Dec. because I was pissed that I wouldn't be able to Max certain social links.)
Now I am in January after beating Adachi
, and am wondering, can I no longer increase the school S. Links or Marie? I focused on getting my Party to max, but I haven't finished, Naoki, Ai, and Marie. I still have the Fox and Death to do too. Am I boned for Marie? She's the main one I care about.

Trigger

Yes, try talking to Kanji and then talking to her.

Ok, so I made it farther than I did in the PS2 version
(I quit that one in Dec. because I was pissed that I wouldn't be able to Max certain social links.)
Now I am in January after beating Adachi
, and am wondering, can I no longer increase the school S. Links or Marie? I focused on getting my Party to max, but I haven't finished, Naoki, Ai, and Marie. I still have the Fox and Death to do too. Am I boned for Marie? She's the main one I care about.

You've missed Marie. School links can still be done though. You've only got a month left.
You don't get the full month of Feb.

Ken

I think you have to talk to Kanji first. He'll tell you someone is talking about him on the second floor or whatever. He's on the first floor of the practice building.

When does Kanji show up in the practice building? I've been checking there too for him and I don't see him anywhere.

Dantis

Smashed through Margaret's S Link. Taken me what, less than an hour? Lots of money + guide = yaay! Unfortunately, her final request is a doozy, so rank 10 is going to take a while longer.

She actually stays exactly the same. WHen Yosuke is first introduced, he seems like he'll be clumsy comic relief. This completely changes after the intro though.

Agreed. Yosuke turns out pretty awesome.

I love the game's startup screen. It's my new Vita homescreen.

20121202120301.jpg

What is the deal with quality degradation on the start-up screen? I took this screenshot and it looks like ass. Will this look any better? or does it automatically downgrade image quality because of the turning page effect?

Young Magus

In the middle of August and I gotta say that I'm loving this game so much. Really hard to put down, also maxed my first S-Link. Really an improvement over P3 is that you are able to focus on more of them during the summer.
I'm only rank 4, 6, 6, and 5 for Adachi, Nanako, Dojima and Marie respectily. How screwed am I?

Anyone know a good place to import the soundtracks? I'm going whole-hog!

I would like to know this as well

Trigger

In the middle of August and I gotta say that I'm loving this game so much. Really hard to put down, also maxed my first S-Link. Really an improvement over P3 is that you are able to focus on more of them during the summer.
I'm only rank 4, 6, 6, and 5 for Adachi, Nanako, Dojima and Marie respectily. How screwed am I?

Not screwed at all.

bigkrev

Is it easier to get alll the social links maxed on a second play through? Do the ones you have maxed stay maxed?

Your money and ranks carry over, so you can spend all of your nights hanging out with people or drawing fortunes to improve your links than work at home or study. You also get to start Devil and Tower earlier in the game, giving you more time to work on them.

I didn't like the all-out-attack portrait before, but I actually like it more than the old one now. I like how the person calling for an attack gets the most screen real estate and the rest of the gang backs them up. It's more peppy but it's grown on me.

Romir

Just finished at 85 hr and 15 min. I wonder how many days it'll take to get the boss battle music (I'll Face Myself) out of my head.

The Reaper was in the last chest I opened, honestly.

Your money and ranks carry over, so you can spend all of your nights hanging out with people or drawing fortunes to improve your links than work at home or study. You also get to start Devil and Tower earlier in the game, giving you more time to work on them.

So basically sell all items before restarting, because those don't carry over?

My only problems with how "All Out Attacks" are handled is that you don't seem to have any choice when your two party members decide to team up for a follow up attack. That animation is loooong and sometimes it is just quicker to not do it and go into rush mode to finish of an enemy.

It isn't a huge deal but it adds up over the course of a dungen run especially when you are going up the floors to fight the extra boss.

Meier

Shadow Yukiko is crushing me. :( If I use the Goho-M can I get back to the 8th floor later without having to fight my way there again? I must need to buy better gear or something..

bigkrev

So basically sell all items before restarting, because those don't carry over?

Sell all weapons, armor and accessories you won't be using, sell all gems in your inventory, and any items you won't use on the final boss (Low level healing items and attack items, for example). I'm not sure how skill cards in your inventory are handled.

Ken

Shadow Yukiko is crushing me. :( If I use the Goho-M can I get back to the 8th floor later without having to fight my way there again? I must need to buy better gear or something..

Yeah. When you come back it will ask if you want to start on 1F or the highest floor you've reached.

QP3

What's the tempo like in this game?

I will be buying a vita soon and the popularity of this game has peaked my interest. I don't necessarily mean fighting/action, so much as things to do. I don't enjoy a whole lot of cutscenes/talking/etc. (especially on portables). I do enjoy management, strategy, etc. thanks for any input!

Ken

I will be buying a vita soon and the popularity of this game has peaked my interest. I don't necessarily mean fighting/action, so much as things to do. I don't enjoy a whole lot of cutscenes/talking/etc. (especially on portables). I do enjoy management, strategy, etc. thanks for any input!

You can uh manage your time. There's a lot of talking but I feel like most of the writing is great and fun to read.

-GJ-

What is the deal with quality degradation on the start-up screen? I took this screenshot and it looks like ass. Will this look any better? or does it automatically downgrade image quality because of the turning page effect?
It looks quite bad. I used to have a completely blank picture with only a Pikachu in the corner as my start screen, and even then the Vita made the quality bad. There were graphical artifacts all around the Pikachu drawing. I guess we gotta live with that, haha.

I don't think you would like it. Basically set up on a timeline. So you will have like 30 days where you just do stuff, like meet people, or do activities to raise you stats, followed by a day or two where you dungeon crawl. Dungeon crawling is a significant grind, and will take a lot of hours relative to how long a "normal" day takes, but it is a small part of the overall scope of the story.

Dantis

Margaret's S Link is now done. What a fucking faff.

On the plus side, it seems Trumpeter is pretty dynamite.

EDIT: Hahar! Got the Velvet Room outfits!

You've missed Marie. School links can still be done though. You've only got a month left.
You don't get the full month of Feb.

MOTHER FUCK! Well, time to see if I have enough time to do it in
Dec,
since I have till the 31st right. I might have to go back farther and redo the final dungeon. I hate when S. Links are cut-off without warning in these games. You plan on having certain days available, then NOPE!

QP3

It looks quite bad. I used to have a completely blank picture with only a Pikachu in the corner as my start screen, and even then the Vita made the quality bad. There were graphical artifacts all around the Pikachu drawing. I guess we gotta live with that, haha.

I don't think you would like it. Basically set up on a timeline. So you will have like 30 days where you just do stuff, like meet people, or do activities to raise you stats, followed by a day or two where you dungeon crawl. Dungeon crawling is a significant grind, and will take a lot of hours relative to how long a "normal" day takes, but it is a small part of the overall scope of the story.

Ok thanks for the replies.

Maybe I'll end up passing on it. Although I watched a video that compared the persona collecting to pokemon, which I love. Is that a bad analogy or are the two similar in that regard?

Ok thanks for the replies.

Maybe I'll end up passing on it. Although I watched a video that compared the persona collecting to pokemon, which I love. Is that a bad analogy or are the two similar in that regard?

Pretty great, I think. Instead of evolving, though, you fuse two or more together to get new/different ones. And early game ones will be completely outclassed as you level up.

Trigger

MOTHER FUCK! Well, time to see if I have enough time to do it in
Dec,
since I have till the 31st right. I might have to go back farther and redo the final dungeon. I hate when S. Links are cut-off without warning in these games. You plan on having certain days available, then NOPE!

No, you have until Christmas last I checked. I can't remember what the exact deadline was. I'm pretty sure we don't get till the 31st. Someone else can correct me though. December is definitely the best time to do Marie's last events tho.

EDIT-I also think you'll miss the Christmas date event if you beat the boss on Christmas eve.

demonkaze

So i'm on 07/01 and according to this max social link guide i'm following, i'm 2 levels behind on Devil (didn't have enough diligence to start it due to random aiya visits ><) and 1 behind on Tempr (forgot matching persona at rank 1). Am I screwed on getting max social links now, is it ok to catch up with devil instead of reading books on certain nights?

ss_lemonade

Are all personas like p3 and p4? I've only played p3p and persona 4 is like a direct sequel in terms of gameplay. I mean the way battles play out, some of the visuals, even some sound effects are reused.

So i'm on 07/01 and according to this max social link guide i'm following, i'm 2 levels behind on Devil (didn't have enough diligence to start it due to random aiya visits ><) and 1 behind on Tempr (forgot matching persona at rank 1). Am I screwed on getting max social links now, is it ok to catch up with devil instead of reading books on certain nights?

I don't know. But I wouldn't worry about night time links too much. Daytime links might be a problem, depending on how much extra time is built in, and how many days you are actually able to meet with the appropriate s-link after you start winding down the game.

Trigger

^^^^
Yes

Are all personas like p3 and p4? I've only played p3p and persona 4 is like a direct sequel in terms of gameplay. I mean the way battles play out, some of the visuals, even some sound effects are reused.

No, Persona 3 and 4 are part of the same generation. Persona 1 and both parts of Persona 2 are entirely different.

^^^^
Yes

No, Persona 3 and 4 are part of the same generation. Persona 1 and both parts of Persona 2 are entirely different.

not exactly.

oh, I was talking story and stuff, not mechanics and the like, then yes. but p1 is completely different than p2 is completely different than p3. p4 is the only one that is like any of the others gameplay wise.

I can't remember the last time I've laughed so much from a game. I just did
Operation Up & Close and Personal in Okina City. Haha.
Where has this game been all my life?

Top Bottom