• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Xena

You don't have to worry about it anymore. That's the weird thing about social links. These characters have heartbreaking confessions, go through rough periods, and bond with the MC through fun laughter..........................and then you dump them like a bad habit and move on. lol, the only exception are the girlfriends who at least get events dedicated to hanging out with them (and fight alongside you).

Thanks for the answer!

About the mechanic, I know right? I kinda wish they had a female protagonist like P3P did, so that I could actually be immersed more with these s.links. So, you mentioned this event dedicated to the so? How do you trigger this, or is it automatic?

Thoraxes

I'd be fine with it being a handheld if the vita sales weren't so moribund. Can't imagine them not doing a 3DS version as well in that case, and I don't know if I'd be happy with that hamstringing everything.

Given the fact that Capcom confirmed transfarring for Wii U/3DS with MHTU on both platforms, maybe they'll bring it to 4 systems or something or no matter which of the big two in Japan they choose, it'll have that functionality (which is just my wishful thinking).

Squire

Banned
Given the fact that Capcom confirmed transfarring for Wii U/3DS with MHTU on both platforms, maybe they'll bring it to 4 systems or something or no matter which of the big two in Japan they choose, it'll have that functionality (which is just my wishful thinking).

I still think it'll be PS3/Vita if anything. The series has been on PS for years. It'd be weird to jump ship to Nintendo, especially when the 3DS is already getting SMT4 and Soul Hackers.

iavi

I still think it'll be PS3/Vita if anything. The series has been on PS for years. It'd be weird to jump ship to Nintendo, especially when the 3DS is already getting SMT4 and Soul Hackers.

Just like Catherine was 360/PS3, as was Arena, so will P5 probably be. Atlus hasn't released a non multi-platform title for the HD twins yet.

Squire

Banned
Just like Catherine was 360/PS3, as was Arena, so will P5 probably be. Atlus hasn't released a non multi-platform title for the HD twins yet.

Yep, was thinking this, too. Find by me. If it's cross-play on PS3/Vita, I'll get it there. If it's not and there's a 360 version, I'll get it on that!

Just played around with the "Midnight Channel" feature in the TV Listings (since it's past midnight here)...

I swear this is my portable GotY thanks to all of these little details... :3

Dantis

The event in general. I think most of the anime scenes are pretty meh.

Lol, it's worse, it's in three days. But to be fair to them,
they could barely play anything, and it was just one song.
I don't know, I thought they came up with a decent enough justification for it,
by adding a reference to Rise's social link in Kanamin and putting Yosuke's dad's job on the line, also hooking Naoto in since she was supposed to be arranging it. Plus we got early appearance of Namatame

Ah. My problem was with the actual anime scene. I guess I was never able to specify that because I didn't want to spoil too much. The event in general is pretty meh and doesn't make any sense, but there are a few decent gags at least.

Thoraxes

I guess what i'm trying to say is that they've got options. I just wonder what they'll choose given current market shares in Japan.

kiyomi

Combat is starting to get on my nerve a little bit.

I'm supposed to be
rescuing Kanji and so far I'm up to the 9th spa/bath/whatever
, and I'm pretty sure I only have about 3-4 days left to do it. So okay, I'm a little bit up against it.

But considering I had no problems in the previous encounter, I can't help feel a bit bemused when I can sometimes crush enemies on that 9th floor, and then in the next battle, I'll just get OHKO'd by a standard shadow. On the same floor.

I'm also really starting to dislike the way the advantages are played out when you're going into a battle. I mean, sure, if I just sat around and waited for a shadow to turn completely away from me I could get the upper hand 99% of the time. But it was so much simpler in FES. No exclamation mark - you have the upper hand. Exclamation mark - it's equal. Enemy hits you - they have the advantage.

Half of the time in 4 I'm running up behind a shadow thinking "aha, got you", only to see the exclamation mark come up and not have any benefit at the beginning of the battle. And then at other times where it is a seemingly identical scenario, I do get the advantage.

And in FES you basically knew when an enemy was too tough for you, so you'd go back to a lower floor and grind away. In fact I just tried that, I went down two floors, and whaddya know, I get KO'd by 4 straight Agilaos.

No doubt someone will tell me I'm an awful gamer and how wrong I am and how I'm playing it wrong and blah blah, but I mean am I missing something? I really want to love this game and for the most part, I really do. It's just these annoyances are hindering me. Sorry for the rant.

Marche90

Combat is starting to get on my nerve a little bit.

I'm supposed to be
rescuing Kanji and so far I'm up to the 9th spa/bath/whatever
, and I'm pretty sure I only have about 3-4 days left to do it. So okay, I'm a little bit up against it.

But considering I had no problems in the previous encounter, I can't help feel a bit bemused when I can sometimes crush enemies on that 9th floor, and then in the next battle, I'll just get OHKO'd by a standard shadow. On the same floor.

I'm also really starting to dislike the way the advantages are played out when you're going into a battle. I mean, sure, if I just sat around and waited for a shadow to turn completely away from me I could get the upper hand 99% of the time. But it was so much simpler in FES. No exclamation mark - you have the upper hand. Exclamation mark - it's equal. Enemy hits you - they have the advantage.

Half of the time in 4 I'm running up behind a shadow thinking "aha, got you", only to see the exclamation mark come up and not have any benefit at the beginning of the battle. And then at other times where it is a seemingly identical scenario, I do get the advantage.

And in FES you basically knew when an enemy was too tough for you, so you'd go back to a lower floor and grind away. In fact I just tried that, I went down two floors, and whaddya know, I get KO'd by 4 straight Agilaos.

No doubt someone will tell me I'm an awful gamer and how wrong I am and how I'm playing it wrong and blah blah, but I mean am I missing something? I really want to love this game and for the most part, I really do. It's just these annoyances are hindering me. Sorry for the rant.

Well, to be fair, OHKO of the MC aren't rare at all in these games (the MegaTen series)... just keep at it and try not to get hit by any shadow on the dungeon. Also, keep track of the attacks of the enemies so that you can have a Persona resistant to those attacks

in P4G you will get player advantage if you attack the shadow from behind, every single time, regardless of whether the shadow noticed you or not. (They will always notice you)

I've run straight at a shadow facing me and went behind it and quickly pressed the attack button before it started chasing me and I got player advantage. You don't need to sneak up on them really

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
in P4G you will get player advantage if you attack the shadow from behind, every single time, regardless of whether the shadow noticed you or not. (They will always notice you)

I've run straight at a shadow facing me and went behind it and quickly pressed the attack button before it started chasing me and I got player advantage. You don't need to sneak up on them really

Seconded. It really isn't that hard. They have super slow acceleration and it takes like 1-2 full seconds before they even begin to move. It's exceedingly easy. If not, Yosuke always goes first in my game.

kiyomi

Yeah, I understand both those concepts, they're not new to me.

I guess with the player advantage thing, I must just be doing it wrong. I'm just used to FES and being able to get an advantage easily, and I haven't figured out my own way of making that happen in 4 yet.

I mean I feel like I am behind the shadow, I guess I must not be quite at the right angle.

Still I'm getting my butt kicked at times, it feels cheap.

pelicansurf

Yeah, I understand both those concepts, they're not new to me.

I guess with the player advantage thing, I must just be doing it wrong. I'm just used to FES and being able to get an advantage easily, and I haven't figured out my own way of making that happen in 4 yet.

I mean I feel like I am behind the shadow, I guess I must not be quite at the right angle.

Still I'm getting my butt kicked at times, it feels cheap.

Wait til when if you don't down every enemy and kill them in your first 4 turns, you'll start getting blasted with level 2-3 Ma-spells.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lol at the new scene at January.

MC trying to give Teddie a "Honey I'm home kiss" followed by demonstrating a glomp to Teddie when Dojima suddenly enters the house.

This game is still so good even. I'm getting too attached with the game, hope I'm not the only one though.

Btw, is there a link to a guide for a complete max social link including Adachi's and Marie's?

kiyomi

Wait til when if you don't down every enemy and kill them in your first 4 turns, you'll start getting blasted with level 2-3 Ma-spells.

Mamudo was the bane of my existence the first time I played FES. :p

I still really like the combat, taking away my complaints.

Anyway thanks for the assistance guys, I'm sure I will get the hang of it. Maybe I'm just rusty.

Salaadin

You do have to be really behind them and not kinda behind them, if you know what I mean. There have been a few times where I think Im good but my angle is just slightly off that it probably registers as me being on the side rather directly behind. Its also a little more ticky later on when the shadows are bigger and theres less room to maneuver past them in the tight hallways.

pelicansurf

Ive noticed you can be physically touching them (from the side/behind) as long as they haven't started rushing towards you and just stick 'em with the pointy end.

Ricker

Someone on a podcast I listen to may have spoiled one of the endings to the game...now I know the game is like 7 years old but there was no warning whatsoever...unless it was a joke,when I heard that I skipped forward a good 5 minutes...

Warning,if this is true and you are playing this for the first time,big end game spoiler for one of the possible endings:

She said you can get a catastrophic ending where everyone dies

True?

Necrovex

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Someone on a podcast I listen to may have spoiled one of the endings to the game...now I know the game is like 7 years old but there was no warning whatsoever...unless it was a joke,when I heard that I skipped forward a good 5 minutes...

Warning,if this is true and you are playing this for the first time,big end game spoiler for one of the possible endings:

True?

No.

Curufinwe

True?

That sort of happens if you don't
finish a certain dungeon in time. But it's not really a proper ending.

When does shuffle time actually start requiring skill? 10 hours in and the game is still just letting me pick whatever card I want.

bigkrev

When does shuffle time actually start requiring skill? 10 hours in and the game is still just letting me pick whatever card I want.

Never- it's one of the changes they made to the game. Its now about trying to get Sweeps instead of following the cards

Marche90

True?

That sounds like
the Persona 3 Bad Ending...
In Persona 4, though? Nope

Ugh so it turns out I'm going to have to grind up to 70-75 for the last few bosses(I'm 60 now). This is the same shit that almost made me put p3p down. Grinding 10-15 levels is going to be tedious as fuck.

ckohler

20 hours in now. This is my first Persona. I must say, as a guy who absolutely hates anime, JRPG's (fuck Xenoblade), J-pop and just about every bit of Japanese culture...

This game is fucking awesome.

This is encouraging. My buddy, who is also not a fan of anime/J-pop stuff is now considering getting this because I keep saying how addicting it is. I love this game but I'm also into anime somewhat so I kind of worry he'll be turned off by it and all the "Chie-chan! Where's Sempai!?" stuff in the dialog and all the J-pop music. I hope he still likes it.

Ugh so it turns out I'm going to have to grind up to 70-75 for the last few bosses(I'm 60 now). This is the same shit that almost made me put p3p down. Grinding 10-15 levels is going to be tedious as fuck.

Last night I defeated
Kanji's Shadow
but I was only level 22!? When
Kanji joined my party
he was level 25. I can't figure out how I keep falling behind the game in levels. How do you grind effectively?

Oh thanks. I didn't even realize I should be going for sweeps.

There's even a trophy for getting 50 of em :)

Yeah, it can become a real grind, even with going to the movies each month. I'm getting the 50% EXP weapons just in case.

20 hours in now. This is my first Persona. I must say, as a guy who absolutely hates anime, JRPG's (fuck Xenoblade), J-pop and just about every bit of Japanese culture...

Hell yeah man, it's nice to see this. I think that Atlus can pull this kind of appeal off.

Dantis

I feel the same way. Persona is just different.

Go ahead. Honestly, I'm on Very Easy and it's my first time through, though I have played Persona 3 before. It's ridiculously easy, but I still think the combat is satisfying and clearing dungeons is no prob. The game even says to just enjoy the plot at that point, so they know themselves.

How is easy is very easy, In your opinion? This will be my first real Persona so I have 0 grasp on the persona fusing and I want to make sure o have plenty of money, have played rpgs before, just don't want the dungeons to become too boring is all I am worried about, are bosses a little challenging at least or do you think I am safe doing easy instead?

DJ_Lae

Anyway thanks for the assistance guys, I'm sure I will get the hang of it. Maybe I'm just rusty.

It's not just you, I've been having similar issues with getting my angle just right - half the time I don't get the advantage so your required position must be really narrow.

It was much different - or maybe just easier - in P3.

Lombax

Banned

That is so good to hear, I cannot stand anime either.

Top Bottom