• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

kiyomi

I will agree on the whole 'Persona is different' thing. At times it feels so far removed from typical JRPGs that it's in it's own little universe. Special special games.

The boss battle theme is insane.

I actively find myself just sitting there in the battles waiting for the main riff to come up in the song before I unleash a big attack, just so that I get a perfect marriage of sound and sight.

Varna

It's not just you, I've been having similar issues with getting my angle just right - half the time I don't get the advantage so your required position must be really narrow.

It was much different - or maybe just easier - in P3.

Camera is a bit higher up and P3P. That definitely helps.

I am 5 hours in and having fun. Never played or seen any footage of a Persona game so all of this is brand new and the Velvet room stuff is a load to take in... from skill cards to mixing personas... Sheesh.

Anyway, five hours in and I feel like this game is just starting to get going. I mean I actually have a save place in the tv world and I can move freely after school! Lol. This game must be 100 hours long and there are jobs you can take? Are they interactive? I would love an Order Up! Mini game!

DJ_Lae

Camera is a bit higher up and P3P. That definitely helps.

That might be it.

Speaking of camera, is there a way to switch to normal (or 'inverse' as the game weirdly calls it) camera for the shoulder buttons? The menu toggle affects the analog stick, which is fine, but the shoulder buttons are still left is right and right is left, which weirds me out. I'd rather use the buttons as the analog stick is pretty sensitive.

Not a big deal but if I can change it as well that would be nice. I could have sworn changing the camera for Persona 4 worked that way, but maybe I'm remembering that game wrong.

Squire

Banned
How is easy is very easy, In your opinion? This will be my first real Persona so I have 0 grasp on the persona fusing and I want to make sure o have plenty of money, have played rpgs before, just don't want the dungeons to become too boring is all I am worried about, are bosses a little challenging at least or do you think I am safe doing easy instead?

You should be safe on Easy. As the game says, VE is for if you really are only in it for the story. I mean, I couldn't fail. There's no way.

And the game is made to be replayed, despite how long it is. And it is quite long. Even on VE where I'm clearing dungeons in an hour of two, I'm 37 hours in with a ways to go.

ckohler

I am 5 hours in and having fun. Never played or seen any footage of a Persona game so all of this is brand new and the Velvet room stuff is a load to take in... from skill cards to mixing personas... Sheesh.

Anyway, five hours in and I feel like this game is just starting to get going. I mean I actually have a save place in the tv world and I can move freely after school! Lol. This game must be 100 hours long and there are jobs you can take? Are they interactive? I would love an Order Up! Mini game!

I'm only 20 hours in and they are still introducing new stuff to do. The amount of content is insane. The jobs and clubs are not mini-games, unfortunately, although you do make decisions and have dialogs with new characters in some.

I'm only 20 hours in and they are still introducing new stuff to do. The amount of content is insane. The jobs and clubs are not mini-games, unfortunately, although you do make decisions and have dialogs with new characters in some.
Gah, it would be much better if they were fun mini games and you are judged by your peers if you did poorly...

That might be it.

Speaking of camera, is there a way to switch to normal (or 'inverse' as the game
weirdly calls it) camera for the shoulder buttons? The menu toggle affects the analog stick, which is fine, but the shoulder buttons are still left is right and right is left, which weirds me out. I'd rather use the buttons as the analog stick is pretty sensitive.

Not a big deal but if I can change it as well that would be nice. I could have sworn changing the camera for Persona 4 worked that way, but maybe I'm remembering that game wrong.

I thought the shoulder buttons were always the opposite of the sticks. That is what I remember when playing around, which I found weird, sine you can't directly select them. Anyways, I can get confused when dealing its inversion, so I may be wrong/misremembering.

Uncle AJ

I'm supposed to be
rescuing Kanji and so far I'm up to the 9th spa/bath/whatever
, and I'm pretty sure I only have about 3-4 days left to do it. So okay, I'm a little bit up against it.

But considering I had no problems in the previous encounter, I can't help feel a bit bemused when I can sometimes crush enemies on that 9th floor, and then in the next battle, I'll just get OHKO'd by a standard shadow. On the same floor.

I bet you're talking about Wondrous Magus... status effects are your friends on enemies with an affinity for magic. Yosuke can silence one, Chie can confuse another with Skull Cracker, and the success rate for both is damn near 100%. Although for some reason if you enrage them, their phys attack damage goes from 1 to about 300 -_-

You should be safe on Easy. As the game says, VE is for if you really are only in it for the story. I mean, I couldn't fail. There's no way.

And the game is made to be replayed, despite how long it is. And it is quite long. Even on VE where I'm clearing dungeons in an hour of two, I'm 37 hours in with a ways to go.

Hah good thing I only got 15 mins in last night, hardest part so far is choosing a name!

Trigger

I bet you're talking about Wondrous Magus... status effects are your friends on enemies with an affinity for magic. Yosuke can silence one, Chie can confuse another with Skull Cracker, and the success rate for both is damn near 100%. Although for some reason if you enrage them, their phys attack damage goes from 1 to about 300 -_-

Enraged foes take more damage though. God help those gold hands who cast Balzac on themselves.

Golbez

Sounds like you're getting into the game just fine!

Salaadin

So its been 2 weeks since this game came out and Im still completely enamored with it. Its every bit as fun and interesting as it was the day I got it. What black magic is this?

kiyomi

Yeah, I was. :D

I think what it was is I was quite comfortable in 3, I never felt too stressed or had to think about it too much. In this, it definitely feels like I need to have a plan for each battle.

Upon reflection, that's probably a good thing. Anyway I overcame the bit I was talking about. So all good now :)

I chose easy since I wanted a little challenge at least, I've beaten the game before for ps2. If I do replay(I doubt it) it'll be very easy.

So its been 2 weeks since this game came out and Im still completely enamored with it. Its every bit as fun and interesting as it was the day I got it. What black magic is this?
The blackest. Surprisingly I've been pretty hooked on it even though I beat p4 vanilla when it came out, I usually don't replay games I've beaten but I haven't been able to put this game down. Though I am getting a little bored of it now, I chalk that up to the massive dialogue around end of nov/beginning of dec.

Omikaru

Enraged foes take more damage though. God help those gold hands who cast Balzac on themselves.

I've become the master at taking down Gold Hands.

Well, I say master, but it's incredibly easy to beat 'em in P4G. Also the frequency of them has gone up, which is why I'm so grossly overleveled.

Trigger

I've become the master at taking down Gold Hands.

Well, I say master, but it's incredibly easy to beat 'em in P4G. Also the frequency of them has gone up, which is why I'm so grossly overleveled.

It leaves me in a weird position because I know I'm becoming OP, but who can pass up free cash?

I didn't realize the game had a new dungeon? Is it story related or completely optional?

Both. It's a new addition to the main narrative.

Dantis

So, the other day I said I'd started doing a piece of Persona fanart. It's still not done, but I've done a little more on it today. It all needs touching up a bit, Maya needs drawing in neat, and I'd redoing Tatsuya from scratch because I wasn't happy with his pose, and it all obviously needs colour. But I dunno when I'll get around to finishing it, so I thought I'd put it up on here as it stands now.

personap.png

So, the other day I said I'd started doing a piece of Persona fanart. It's still not done, but I've done a little more on it today. It all needs touching up a bit, Maya needs drawing in neat, and I'd redoing Tatsuya from scratch because I wasn't happy with his pose, and it all obviously needs colour. But I dunno when I'll get around to finishing it, so I thought I'd put it up on here as it stands now.

You actually, truly have all the mc's, even Aigis. That is truly rar-wait, where is the pierced boy!?

Wonko_C

20 hours in now. This is my first Persona. I must say, as a guy who absolutely hates anime, JRPG's (fuck Xenoblade), J-pop and just about every bit of Japanese culture...

This game is fucking awesome.

I feel the same way. Persona is just different.

That is so good to hear, I cannot stand anime either.

Me neither but I am enjoying this. I also like folklore and Valkyrie chronicles.

You guys like anime, you just don't know it yet. Mwahahaha.

Munkyspace

Having the roughest time with the Bathhouse boss. I've tried a whole bunch of different strats (taking down the adds first, FF on the main boss, etc.), but no such luck. Any tips, GAF?

Having the roughest time with the Bathhouse boss. I've tried a whole bunch of different strats (taking down the adds first, FF on the main boss, etc.), but no such luck. Any tips, GAF?

YMMV, but being around low to mid-20's can help, using Dekaja when Nice Guy buffs up, Sukukaja on Chie to land Rampage, and have items to heal rage so that you don't lose Yukiko. Have personae with fire and ice skills ready for MC so you can ice Nice Guy and fire Tough Guy. Good luck!

YMMV, but being around low to mid-20's can help, using Dekaja when Nice Guy buffs up, Sukukaja on Chie to land Rampage, and have items to heal rage so that you don't lose Yukiko. Have personae with fire and ice skills ready for MC so you can ice Nice Guy and fire Tough Guy. Good luck!

I had MC do the buff and phys work, with Sarasvati with marakukaja, rakunda and tarunda, and Rakasha doin the punchin with kill rush and brain shake. Yosuke just blocks 100% of the time. Yukiko heals and hits fire, Chie hits ic, revolutions MC, and occasionally phys's herself.

psycho17

buffs and debuffs. focus on nice guy at the start while still debuffing the main boss and tough guy. Make sure you got a persona with dekaja as well.

pwack

Any advice on what the better difficulty for me would be? I am choosing between Normal and Hard.

I finished P3P on hard, which I assume is the best comparitor to this game. I don't recall having to grind just for the sake of grinding, but I did complete most side quests (missing persons, most of Elizabeth's stuff). I found the combat pretty dang easy. I'd like P4's combat to be difficult, but not if the only way to surpass that difficulty is pure grinding and slowing down the story.

Trigger

Any advice on what the better difficulty for me would be? I am choosing between Normal and Hard.

I finished P3P on hard, which I assume is the best comparitor to this game. I don't recall having to grind just for the sake of grinding, but I did complete most side quests (missing persons, most of Elizabeth's stuff). I found the combat pretty dang easy. I'd like P4's combat to be difficult, but not if the only way to surpass that difficulty is pure grinding and slowing down the story.

Hard mode in Golden is easier than the Hard mode from P3P. Do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Not sure whether anyone has posted this here but someone uploaded the whole Persona Music Live 2012 Mayonaka TV in Tokyo International Forum concert on youtube. Fantastic :) The singers are really good live singers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwVvhhQNbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hk5iZtsuM

Just watched this entire thing in the background while at work. They're awesome. I totally want to go and attend one in Japan once P5 is out!

I love Shoji Meguro's tastes in music.

Velcro Fly

Can't wait until Christmas for this game.

Might be the first game I make an effort to Platinum, if only because I'll probably play through it at least twice back to back.

Go for hard.

Yeah, hard mode was nice for me. P3P was my first persona game, P4G my second. You get real grindy at first while you still really like the battle system. Towards the end I didn't need to do anything because I was so overpowered due to my chars having the the Attack-All one-shot kill dark/light spells. Mahamoon and Mahamoan or whatever.

Golbez

Yeah, hard mode was nice for me. P3P was my first persona game, P4G my second. You get real grindy at first while you still really like the battle system. Towards the end I didn't need to do anything because I was so overpowered due to my chars having the the Attack-All one-shot kill dark/light spells. Mahamoon and Mahamoan or whatever.
Mahamaon and Mamudoon or Samsara and Die For Me!?

Munkyspace

Many thanks to you, buddha, and psycho. Finally got it after a few more tries.

Can't wait until Christmas for this game.

Might be the first game I make an effort to Platinum, if only because I'll probably play through it at least twice back to back.

I'm currently playing on very hard, and then I'll probably end up trying to get my first plat on a very easy new game + playthrough. We'll see. If I do it, it'll be my third time playing through Persona 4.

Ken

You don't have to worry about it anymore. That's the weird thing about social links. These characters have heartbreaking confessions, go through rough periods, and bond with the MC through fun laughter..........................and then you dump them like a bad habit and move on. lol, the only exception are the girlfriends who at least get events dedicated to hanging out with them (and fight alongside you).

I would buy a visual novel game just to get more writing without the limitations of social link.

lingiii

Banned
Or Max Danger! Or Chuck Tuna!

I also decided to go with "Chuck" as a nod to Charlie Tunoku, but once Chuck was sitting there on the screen all I could think of was the phrase "chuck wagon", thus was Chuck Wagoni born. Easily the dumbest thought I've had in a little while. I do giggle every time the last name gets shown.

You don't have to worry about it anymore. That's the weird thing about social links. These characters have heartbreaking confessions, go through rough periods, and bond with the MC through fun laughter..........................and then you dump them like a bad habit and move on. lol, the only exception are the girlfriends who at least get events dedicated to hanging out with them (and fight alongside you).

So... after you Max they can't go back down?

Trigger

Has someone started on new game+? I wanted to know what carries over. Is it really just cash, rank, and the compendium?

So... after you Max they can't go back down?

No, whenever you talk to that person after maxing it you'll get a generic message about how tight you two are and a reminder that there's no benefit to hanging out anymore.

Top Bottom