• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Alfredo

Oh shit... the moment I have been dreading is finally here...
the part where they make a band and learn a song in a short amount of time to save Yosuke's dad from getting fired. I play most of the instruments they are talking about and did some shows in highschool and college, it's tough, and I don't know how they will pull this gig off. And why the hell did Yukiko have a gong? I'm sure this will be cringeworthy as hell.

Well, here we go!

I liked this event only for the fact that
you get to hear a Persona song sung by someone who can actually sing in English

I liked this event only for the fact that
you get to hear a Persona song sung by someone who can actually sing in English

I the the part where
they had already been practicing for two days and then Yukiko finally makes a note with the sax and says "Wow it actually works! I thought it was broken the whole time."

Dantis

Here's how I would have done it:

Keep it self-aware and self-depreciating the entire time; really goofy, on the level of the motorcycle trip. The group realizes that they cannot play the instruments or learn the song. Things eventually lead up to Yosuke having a heart-to-heart with everybody about his dad getting fired and you guys decide to fake the concert with an MP3 playing over the sound setup. The best part is that Yosuke shouldn't know what everybody decided on, and he's the only one playing an actual instrument. Everybody else is faking it while an MP3 of the song plays. The entire concert is on the verge of disaster for various technical reasons but:

*The MC is able to make choices during the concert to keep the illusion going
*Characters do some clever, yet silly, things to keep up the charade
*Yosuke and audience is totally blown away by the performance, falling for the ruse
*At the end, the crowd clamors for an encore, but the scheme is revealed

The anime cutscene is only seen after the fact at home on TV and on the TV Listing menu.
This would have been leagues better. As it is in the game, it's too kiddy for my tastes.

JZu3kl.jpg

My Izanagi. I'm not sure what I should replace maragi with right now.

Edit: Got lucky on 2 skill level ups just now. Resist physical -> Null physical and Invigorate 2 -> 3

Amory

God its annoying that every time someone appears on the midnight channel everyone's like "who could that be?????" when it's completely obvious.

Even worse was when Yukiko was on the damn screen dancing around, and your character says something like "That looks like Yukiko".

Dantis

God its annoying that every time someone appears on the midnight channel everyone's like "who could that be?????" when it's completely obvious.

Even worse was when Yukiko was on the damn screen dancing around, and your character says something like "That looks like Yukiko".

BUT OTHERWISE HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?

Amory

BUT OTHERWISE HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?

lol pretty sure she even calls herself Princess Yukiko. At that point my dude had a pretty good idea it was Yukiko. But he wanted to check with Yosuke first to make sure.

And now we're sitting at Junes after the next person appeared on the midnight channel as an outline, saying how if we only knew who it was we could save them. And I just had a discussion about the person the day before and they've been all over the news.

ugh

Dantis

lol pretty sure she even calls herself Princess Yukiko. At that point my dude had a pretty good idea it was Yukiko. But he wanted to check with Yosuke first to make sure.

And now we're sitting at Junes after the next person appeared on the midnight channel as an outline, saying how if we only knew who it was we could save them. And I just had a discussion about the person the day before and they've been all over the news.

ugh

I skipped the bits around the table at Junes for this playthrough. They were driving me crazy. It's even worse when you get the final character, they constantly retell the entire case.

Thoraxes

I also decided to go with "Chuck" as a nod to Charlie Tunoku, but once Chuck was sitting there on the screen all I could think of was the phrase "chuck wagon", thus was Chuck Wagoni born. Easily the dumbest thought I've had in a little while. I do giggle every time the last name gets shown.

Chuck is my real name, which is why I went with it.

hertog

wow... how long does it take before I can the play the game?
I'm already 2 - 3 hours in and everything feels like one extended cutscene.

And I have so little time this week because it's so busy at my job.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just beat the game and got the epilogue. Now to replay the game right away.

I love the game, and the new content was full of awesomeness. I'll never forget the new stuff like:

- Birth of Venus Kanji
- Ski trip
- Teddie and MC getting it on
- Battle against Marie (great music) ;_;
- Epilogue

I got a rude awakening last night, apparently I am playing this game wrong to some extent (first time playing P4, on normal right now).

Without getting into the boring details let's just say I was way under-leveled for Kanji's dungeon. As in, I think my protagonist was level 17, Yosuke and Chie were 16, and Yukiko was something a little higher. Prior to the last few floors of that dungeon levels had never been an issue, and I'd always focused so much on social links and other non-battle stuff that I apparently didn't keep up in the leveling department.

Anyway, I beat
Shadow Kanji
at those levels somehow... It wasn't pretty and it involved me wasting tons of items and only my protagonist survived but I managed to pull it off.

So now I'm wondering how I should change my play style without hurting my social stuff too much. I went back into Kanji's dungeon as soon as I had the opportunity to so that I could catch up on some levels (I got Kanji at 25 so I'm guessing that's a good spot to shoot for) but I'm not sure how long that'll take me. Maybe a day or two? Anyway, I was just wondering if it was normal to "train" in dungeons like this as opposed to just running through them once, or did I mess something up somewhere along the way?

Also, how difficult is it to max out a good portion of the social links without using a guide or worrying too much about finishing a dungeon in one day and all of that? I'm not concerned with getting all of them or anything, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on the majority of them. Just looking for some general tips, I suppose.

Necrovex

I skipped the bits around the table at Junes for this playthrough. They were driving me crazy. It's even worse when you get the final character, they constantly retell the entire case.

You cannot expect these new characters to know the details of the case unless you tell them the ENTIRE story. The only true solution here is to not allow new people to join the detective crew.

Venfayth

I got a rude awakening last night, apparently I am playing this game wrong to some extent (first time playing P4, on normal right now).

Without getting into the boring details let's just say I was way under-leveled for Kanji's dungeon. As in, I think my protagonist was level 17, Yosuke and Chie were 16, and Yukiko was something a little higher. Prior to the last few floors of that dungeon levels had never been an issue, and I'd always focused so much on social links and other non-battle stuff that I apparently didn't keep up in the leveling department.

Anyway, I beat
Shadow Kanji
at those levels somehow... It wasn't pretty and it involved me wasting tons of items and only my protagonist survived but I managed to pull it off.

So now I'm wondering how I should change my play style without hurting my social stuff too much. I went back into Kanji's dungeon as soon as I had the opportunity to so that I could catch up on some levels (I got Kanji at 25 so I'm guessing that's a good spot to shoot for) but I'm not sure how long that'll take me. Maybe a day or two? Anyway, I was just wondering if it was normal to "train" in dungeons like this as opposed to just running through them once, or did I mess something up somewhere along the way?

Also, how difficult is it to max out a good portion of the social links without using a guide or worrying too much about finishing a dungeon in one day and all of that? I'm not concerned with getting all of them or anything, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on the majority of them. Just looking for some general tips, I suppose.

First off, there isn't really a "wrong" way to play, and that's part of the beauty of this game. There are a lot of ways people tend to play it, it's pretty flexible. Your goal with your outside world time should almost always be to be advancing social links, or increasing stats that are necessary to advance one of your social links (you'll know this is the case when the game tells you something like: 'You could talk to this girl if you had enough Courage')

As long as you're doing that, you're going to get the most you can get out of one playthrough. Keep in mind that there ARE optimal routes that will get you all the social links in one playthrough, but that involves knowing a lot of stuff about what will be required ahead of time. That's also part of the fun of this game, is creating planned out guides on how to achieve that kind of thing.

Just keep doing your thing and try not to worry about it too much, just enjoy your social links and spend your time increasing them. Use Voice a lot if you can to see who is available, and if you see a name you don't recognize, feel free to ask here on how to unlock their social link.

In regards to dungeons: It's pretty normal to have to grind if you're not playing on easy/very easy. You may not have to depending on how good you are and how many consumables you've got, but I'd recommend it.

Here is my typical dungeon grinding ritual, starting after you beat the first actual dungeon:

Enter TV, clear previous dungeon (the dungeon you beat last time will now have a bonus boss at the end of it, the Castle's boss is particularly tough, so I usually skip it until the next time I enter the TV) with the party. Then go back in to the previous dungeon with JUST the protagonist (SAVE A LOT when you do this, also come with ample GoHo-M's and Vanish Balls or a persona with Traesto/Trafuri) and grind the top floor for a while. Your Protag will get a ton of EXP this way and increase the amount of Personas you can fuse.

After comfortable with MCs level, enter new dungeon with party, clear all the way to the boss (denoted by a single corridor with no minimap), GoHo-M back to the entrance, save, heal, fuse, etc. Then I go back and enter at top floor and grind on the top levels until my party is ~10 levels higher than they were the last time I fought a boss.

The last thing I'll suggest is that you try and complete the dungeon in as few days as possible. During the early game it can be very, very tough to do it in one day, but later in the game as you have more resources for restoring SP it's not that difficult. Doing this saves you time and increases the days you've got available to be earning S.Links and increasing your stats. Also, defeating the bonus bosses at the end of previously cleared dungeons will net you a gain to Courage.

Hope this helps!

Venfayth

Oh and one more thing, if you can figure out good strategies to kill the Wealth Hands, they are worth a TON of exp and money in this game. I recommend trying to find some of the Almighty damage skills, if you can ;)

Venfayth

What do you guys mean "have it as their skill card"? I thought the skill cards were random from shuffle time.

Each Persona has its own skill card, but you don't unlock the ability to get them until you can travel to Okina.

edit:

On that note, I love how the game has added new ways to spend your time that DOESN'T involve S.Links or stats, which is particularly nice for NG+ playthroughs.

Thanks a lot man, some very useful information here. I appreciate the help!

I think I've been doing a pretty good job so far of not worrying too much about what's optimal and just enjoying myself but I just wanted to make sure taking an extra day or two to grind some levels wouldn't hurt me in the other areas of the game too significantly.

Regarding your tips for dungeons, when you say GoHo-M back to the entrance and heal are you referring to recovering SP as well? Does paying the fox accomplish this or something? Or are you just talking about HP? Right now the only thing I know to do is go home and rest and come back the next day. I think it's taken me two days to do the first two dungeons (as in, two days for each).

I killed a Wealth Hand once but they usually escape from me... I don't have any good strategies for dealing with them, haha.

That's pretty normal - as the game goes on, it might help for you to set aside a day to go back and complete the previous dungeon and its side boss; furthermore, try to complete as many "item fetch" quests given by NPCs. You'll be able to go see movies soon, that is a good way to get a level up for your party members.

It is very easy to max out almost all of the social links in one go without a guide; however, you will not get them all in a single since that requires a guide that min/maxes schedules.

kiyomi

I feel like such an idiot.

I just got to
Marukyu Striptease
, 7th floor, and beat the boss there in a hard-fought battle.

Next thing I do? Open the box behind it. What'dya know, there's a shadow in it.

That OHKO's me.

Fuck. Fucking fuck fuck fuck.

Venfayth

I just got to
Marukyu Striptease

That OHKO's me.

You, my friend, just got SMT'd.

I just got to
Marukyu Striptease

That OHKO's me.

Welcome to Megaten! I hope you enjoy your stay! Look to the left, and see the easy path, known as the Raidou games, now look to your right, and you see Nocturne, with a tiny Strange Journey under it. Which ever path you choose, make sure to give it your all and hold on for dear life if its the right!

Zaki2407

Hmm, why is this game rated "M" (mature) ? I,m about 10 hour in the game and don,t see any material that resemble an "M" rated game.

Hmm, why is this game rated "M" (mature) ? I,m about 10 hour in the game and don,t see any material that resemble an "M" rated game.

It's a bit inane. Maybe somebody at the review board flagged demon summoning, alcohol reference, a couple of bad words, and partial nudity. It's a mature game in some senses, but probably not a "Rated-M for Mature" game.

Venfayth

It's a bit inane. Maybe somebody at the review board flagged demon summoning, alcohol reference, a couple of bad words, and partial nudity. It's a mature game in some senses, but probably not a "Rated-M for Mature" game.

I dunno, there are some pretty flagrant sexual themes
Bathhouse and Club dungeons, particularly, not to mention Yukiko's appearance on the midnight channel
, which seems to mark any game containing them with an M immediately.

I'd be surprised if it had anything less.

Top Bottom