• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Dresden

I wonder if they might be planning to replace Igor entirely. If i recall correctly, his Japanese VA passed away about 2 years after Persona 4 came out. For the little they used the character in the animation, they just recycled voice clips from P4 itself. That's why most of the Velvet Room scenes in the anime are Margaret-centric.

Japan tends to be pretty reluctant to recast characters, especially prolific ones.

Hanazawa future -

kuroshiki

On September 24. Just completed the fifth dungeon.

I don't want to sound like a dickhole, but I kinda saw the revelation about Naoto (a.k.a. Naoto's a chick) coming. I remember the first time speaking to him(her) how I thought her voice was very feminine. I know I never said this here, but you guys'll have to believe me.

At least now I know what her shadow meant by "body-alteration process" She was talking about a sex change, because she always saw her profession as a strictly masculine endeavor. She wanted to be a man so she would have the respect of her peers.

Can you romance Naoto? Though that would be a pretty big disaster for my guy.

YES YOU CAN.

Trigger

On September 24. Just completed the fifth dungeon.

I don't want to sound like a dickhole, but I kinda saw the revelation about Naoto (a.k.a. Naoto's a chick) coming. I remember the first time speaking to him(her) how I thought her voice was very feminine. I know I never said this here, but you guys'll have to believe me.

At least now I know what her shadow meant by "body-alteration process" She was talking about a sex change, because she always saw her profession as a strictly masculine endeavor. She wanted to be a man so she would have the respect of her peers.

I saw it coming too. Naoto's VO sounds pretty feminine and the shadow just sealed the deal.

Can you romance Naoto? Though that would be a pretty big disaster for my guy.

Yes, you can. Need max courage and knowledge though.

Is there a last day to max out Marie's social link? I just did one before december and i didnt get a notification of a level up or "your relationship could get closer" kinda thing.

In my 3 playthroughs of this game so far, I've never bothered with the Fox S-Link.

Anything interesting happen with it? Do the foxes services become affordable eventually?

Trigger

The Fox's services become much more manageable if you max the link. I also think in the original maxing the Hermit link allowed you to pray for relationships. Not sure if there is an extra benefit now since you can pray for your friends without maxing the link.

YOU CAN?! I missed it!! God dammit!

Yes,
she's available when you see her in the school's first floor after he rescue. If you have both stats maxed go over to the shopping district and talk to a man in the second area near the shrine to start the ball rolling.

Is there a last day to max out Marie's social link? I just did one before december and i didnt get a notification of a level up or "your relationship could get closer" kinda thing.

Anytime before the end of December.

EDIT-Sometimes if your rank needs a large boost to increase you won't get a "your friendship is going to grow closer" message. Just meet with her again and you should see the message.

Kyon

Banned
In my 3 playthroughs of this game so far, I've never bothered with the Fox S-Link.

Anything interesting happen with it? Do the foxes services become affordable eventually?

>__> yeah you get to pray so you become closer to your SL oh and of course the Max SL item that carries over NG+ to fuse the ultimate persona of the arcana. Why do you ignore it?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Eh, relatively. fake edit: Just wiki'd it, and it goes down from 60 yen per SP to about 15, so not too terrible. But with how easy it is to get invigorate this time around, I didn't find myself needing it too much. Fox Quest-line (it's not even really a story) is pretty meh, imo. Make sure to pet him when he's in a good mood for extra outfits inside the tv, though.

Invigorate + SOS + Arcana Cup + Tiny Soul Tomatoes means you need the fox much less than in P4 unless you're dungeon grinding at end-game and/or don't have any of sp items.

All in all, taking this much slower than I did P4, not trying to min/max s-links first time around, but I am trying to get max stats and see most of the new stuff. Having some of the S-links behind such huge walls (Tower, I'm looking at you) is still pretty lame.

Am in Mid-August, managed to one-day 4th dungeon with some crazy aracane selection + rare hand crits resulting in me being a fair bit overlevelled. Feels good. I think I'm about to get to some of the Golden exclusive stuff, which is pretty cool.

On a sidenote, one time, I saw Yosuke and (slight story spoilers, I suppose)
Teddy
team up for a double attack-type thing, is that just a super-rare chance, or is there a way to make that proc?

^^^

Cool. Might go for it anyway since it doesn't use up activity time, right?

On a sidenote, one time, I saw Yosuke and Teddy team up for a double attack-type thing, is that just a super-rare chance, or is there a way to make that proc?

From what I can tell with Yukiko + Chie, the duo attack triggers after an all out attack that doesn't finish of the enemy. The enemy health has to be low enough for the combined attack to end the battle.

>__> yeah you get to pray so you become closer to your SL oh and of course the Max SL item that carries over NG+ to fuse the ultimate persona of the arcana. Why do you ignore it?

I kind of ignore all the quests too...

Why is the freakin 2nd bonus boss so easy, why is that damn king so hard. I took out the 2nd bonus boss no problem, but that cursed king still manages to get some kills off of rampage. taking that asshole down was so satisfying...

Trigger

On a sidenote, one time, I saw Yosuke and Teddy team up for a double attack-type thing, is that just a super-rare chance, or is there a way to make that proc?

It's just rare. I never saw it all in my playthrough. Hell, I only had one occurrence of some doing a follow-up with their scooter.

Are there any bonus bosses in the last couple of dungeons, the
Heaven and Adachi ones
? I don't remember anyone ever telling me we should go into the TV after I finished those ones, so I always forget to go back and check.

Metroidvania

^^^

Cool. Might go for it anyway since it doesn't use up activity time, right?

Well....kinda. Getting the request doesn't take up time, nor does doing the quests that become available by it, though many of them have multiple days involved (usually going back to the same spot after giving some quest-related item or task). But turning in the quest does take up a whole afternoon.

Plus, for someone like me, getting the Guardian for the old man for the last(?) one with the new fishing mechanic (which I haven't gotten the hang of or something), is going to be a pain in the ass.

I kind of ignore all the quests too...

None of them are really necessary, but its a lot of bonus rewards from going back to dungeons for optional bosses. Stuff you'd be doing anyways, I suppose. IIRC, someone told me that several new quests have some sweet armor at the end if you do all the chains up to them.

Why is the freakin 2nd bonus boss so easy, why is that damn king so hard. I took out the 2nd bonus boss no problem, but that cursed king still manages to get some kills off of rampage. taking that asshole down was so satisfying...

Yeah, always thought that boss was a bit overtuned. Even if you happen to have a persona with innate resist phys from Strength or Chariot, he eats Yukiko (who's usually a bit underlevelled at that point) alive, and she's your only real healer that early, unless you've levelled yosuke's s link to get him dia.

Think I was like 20-22 when I came back from mid-2nd dungeon and killed him.

VVVVVVVV
Do you know if you can still find a weapon after beating the boss, and if so who it's for?

It's an accessory, I think.

LuchaShaq

Banned
It's just rare. I never saw it all in my playthrough. Hell, I only had one occurrence of some doing a follow-up with their scooter.

I'm in the fourth dungeon but chie/yukiko do it CONSTANTLY.

This is probably due to the fact that I'm playing on very hard so it's very common for enemies to survive an all out attack.

Is there a list of the other combos?

LuchaShaq

Banned
I think the going theory is that she's in the Velvet Room being groomed to be Igor's assistant for the next game.

Of course, it might not be a roman numeral, but just a stylish "V" for "Velvet," but it's hard not to theorize.

marie_thumb.jpg

Don't they flat out say that she is being groomed to be an assistant when she's introduced?

T

Yes,
she's available when you see her in the school's first floor after he rescue. If you have both stats maxed go over to the shopping district and talk to a man in the second area near the shrine to start the ball rolling.

Oh i did the whole social link, I think i just missed a conversation to turn it into a romance storyline instead of a friend storyline (i purposely friendzoned all the other females to go for naoto, now my protag is foreveralone)

Syrinx

I saw it coming too. Naoto's VO sounds pretty feminine and the shadow just sealed the deal.

Yes, you can. Need max courage and knowledge though.

I'm actually very close to max on both. I've maxed my expression and am one point short of maxing courage, knowledge, and understanding.

Metroidvania

I'm actually very close to max on both. I've maxed my expression and am one point short of maxing courage, knowledge, and understanding.

That one point can stretch out for eternity though. :/ Unless you're following a guide of sorts and mean one literal point. It goes fast til 3 if you're focusing a stat, then really slows down, especially if you need the stat for an s-link level.

On that note, I really liked the addition of the "finish reading to get more knowledge/diligence/ect. from Studying/Translating, etc. books, as well as the new Nighttime dish cleaning job. Thought that was a nice touch to get early for max benefits before night social links start coming into play. Just used it to hit max Knowledge before 1st set of finals. Beef Bowl is still OP as shit tho.

Sera O

Banned

Really? I'm getting Junes Bomber pretty reliably when all-out attack leaves survivors. The Kanji and Naoto one I've only gotten once, though.

So, I'm doing quests and I'm getting kind of annoyed. I'm trying to find a high-speed gear in Naoto's dungeon for quest 50. I've been through every floor multiple times at this point and not getting anything.

It's a rainy day in-game, if that makes any difference.

FAQs are all for PS2 version and say I should be getting these from mach wheels on floors 5 and 6, but it might not hold true for golden. Is this super rare? Quests so far have been cake, so I'm probably just missing something. I haven't run into any mach wheels and I've killed every mob I find in here - I've gained 245K yens just doing this, haha. At least it's fusion money.

Edit: Of course a little while after posting this I ran into the mach wheels, right on the floors I'd been farming for ages :D

Sera O

Banned
Shadow mitsou
is really pissing me off....any suggestions?

One thing you might try, if you have power charge or mind charge, is charge up right before the shell goes down so your first turn does double damage. Another thing is for a party member who doesn't do as much damage to either buff (and try to get him to debuff you with his turn so he doesn't completely restore his shell) or throw magatamas at him.

Dantis

Semi decent collection now, though I assume pitiful when compared to many people here on GAF.

That's not too bad! You're just missing Venus Mode and the CDs.

Where is Dantis when I need him? :-(

I am going to play both games regardless. I want to be a stylish girl!

Asleep! :p

Between P3P and P4G, it's hard to say. Logically, you should play P3P first, right? Because it's technically inferior. But then again, if you play P4G first, you can participate in this lovely topic.

As I've said in the past though, P3P's additions are loooooads more significant. P4G is amazing, but still P4. Even if you enjoy things like the True Story scene, they're short, and undeniably completely irrelevant.

Noi

I have a hard time believing it took USPS 14 days to ship my package from Florida to PR, but there you go. UPS Mail Innovations is such utter shit, jesus.

In any case, SOLID GOOOOOOOOOLD.

(The inside of the package and the outside wrapping of the game are both soaking wet. I have no idea what happened to this box.)

Curufinwe

I beat the second dungeon in one day on Normal, but I had to pay for SP restoration twice when my stockpile of TaP sodas ran out. Being level 18 wasn't quite enough for me defeat the boss, so I leveled everyone up to 20 and used a pumped up Jack Frost.

I got a bunch of sweeps in this dungeon, but I really miss the old Shuffle Time.

Ourobolus

Banned
Don't suppose anyone knows of any possible sales of this game before the holidays? I don't mind paying full price (going to get a copy for myself and my brother), but if there's a chance for one I'll take it.

Curufinwe

Don't suppose anyone knows of any possible sales of this game before the holidays? I don't mind paying full price (going to get a copy for myself and my brother), but if there's a chance for one I'll take it.

I don't think there will be any sales on P4G till next year.

Curufinwe

I still think it's dumb they didn't discount the PSN version to entice more people to buy it digitally instead of buying the retail version where most of the $40 doesn't go to Atlus.

Kyon

Banned
I still think it's dumb they didn't discount the PSN version to entice more people to buy it digitally instead of buying the retail version where most of the $40 doesn't go to Atlus.

no fanks.

The best game ever made should be charged MSRP plus tax. Should've been $50 too tbh. Nothing less. P3P should be free for how terrible it is. That way when people get it they can see how much of a better game P4G is. As a matter of fact P4G should've had a free copy of P3P for that.

kiyomi

Quick question. Would fog set in after two days' rain? Because everyone is telling me to hurry up, but on the forecast, I only see two days worth of the wet stuff.

I don't think I've run it this close before, I'm trying to build up some supplies and level up a bit since I attempted
to rescue Rise, and could only get to Teddie's shadow with half his health left and I ran out of revival beads etc.

Just a yes/no answer will do fine. Thanks!

Top Bottom