• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Sophia

we in there

8250162076_ccf3cf1f68_z.jpg

I can't tell which part of that description describes me best though.

That is the best difficulty description for a hard mod ever.

Kyon

Banned
Quick question. Would fog set in after two days' rain? Because everyone is telling me to hurry up, but on the forecast, I only see two days worth of the wet stuff.

I don't think I've run it this close before, I'm trying to build up some supplies and level up a bit since I attempted
to rescue Rise, and could only get to Teddie's shadow with half his health left and I ran out of revival beads etc.

Just a yes/no answer will do fine. Thanks!

yes

Trigger

Quick question. Would fog set in after two days' rain? Because everyone is telling me to hurry up, but on the forecast, I only see two days worth of the wet stuff.

I don't think I've run it this close before, I'm trying to build up some supplies and level up a bit since I attempted
to rescue Rise, and could only get to Teddie's shadow with half his health left and I ran out of revival beads etc.

Just a yes/no answer will do fine. Thanks!

I thought it was three days of rain? Save just in case.

Kyon

Banned
the last day it rains is the latest you should finish.

Though you SHOULD be able to clear these dungeons in a day.

ANYWAY:

Ran into a problem with my First Playthrough All Max S.L. run :<

I got Jester to rank 5 and never saw him at night. It was only earlier that i ran into a faq that said Adachi goes back to days for rank 6 then after that everything is auto...
Problem is you're supposed to have it to 6 by november 1st cause thats the last day to do it :( the rest is story based. i was already in November 6th in
Heaven
FML now everything is RUINED

Venfayth

I'm doing my best to Max SL in one playthrough without a guide, doubt it'll happen though because I'm sure I messed some stuff up. And on another note: Naoki is my least favorite social link :mad:

Kyon

Banned
I'm doing my best to Max SL in one playthrough without a guide, doubt it'll happen though because I'm sure I messed some stuff up. And on another note: Naoki is my least favorite social link :mad:

You need a very specific schedule to do all max. You maxed half of them already?

jiggles

Banned
Why do I keep clicking on the spoilers? Jesus fucking Christ.

Any other series, I have the will to restrain myself, but for some reason, I just click without thinking for Persona games.

Why do I keep clicking on the spoilers? Jesus fucking Christ.

Any other series, I have the will to restrain myself, but for some reason, I just click without thinking for Persona games.

Hehe, yeah it's a very interesting series! Well, soon there will be an unmarked spoiler thread, so at least you won't have to click anymore :p

Ponn

Banned
I conquered the Rainy Day Meat Bowl.

I so much wanted to call the Tutor kid a little prick. No way in hell i'm going to get all max SL's now, 3 days from Dec. I have Marie at level 9 SL though so i'm just waiting for a sunday to max that. I figure I have time left to finish maxing Yosuke and Rise, they are both at level 8. I already have Yukiko maxed, Dojima, Social, Athlete and Nana-chan. Do I have time to get anyone else maxed like Chie, Naoto (only just started) or Kanji?

I conquered the Rainy Day Meat Bowl.

I so much wanted to call the Tutor kid a little prick. No way in hell i'm going to get all max SL's now, 3 days from Dec. I have Marie at level 9 SL though so i'm just waiting for a sunday to max that. I figure I have time left to finish maxing Yosuke and Rise, they are both at level 8. I already have Yukiko maxed, Dojima, Social, Athlete and Nana-chan. Do I have time to get anyone else maxed like Chie, Naoto (only just started) or Kanji?

You can put off finishing the next dungeon until December 24th, so you should be fine. And even if you don't there's a few weeks in January and February now where you're free to do social links. You've got plenty of time!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The social links are so much more enjoyable when you don't realize that you almost need to meticulously study a guide to have any hope to max them all out.

The social links are so much more enjoyable when you don't realize that you almost need to meticulously study a guide to have any hope to max them all out.
You don't even need a guide, just tap on the Voice icon and it'll tell you what everyone else did. Majority opinion is usually the best option to go with.

Of course this is only useful when you are by some wifi.

cnet128

Banned
Oh i did the whole social link, I think i just missed a conversation to turn it into a romance storyline instead of a friend storyline (i purposely friendzoned all the other females to
go for naoto
, now my protag is foreveralone)

Might want to spoiler that comment for the sake of people who haven't seen the
twist about Naoto
yet.

But yeah, I believe
it's significantly more difficult to get the lover's path for Naoto than for any other character. For most characters, you just have to make a single, fairly obvious choice. For Naoto, you have to select a number of specific options, and they're not that obvious.

Specifically:
During the Level 5-6 S.Link event, you have to say "I'm glad you're a girl", and then during the Level 7-8 event, you have to choose to "Protect Naoto". Only if you've made both of these choices will the final, obvious choice appear at the end of the Level 7-8 event, which allows you to choose "Because I love you" or "Because we're friends".

Ponn

Banned
You can put off finishing the next dungeon until December 24th, so you should be fine. And even if you don't there's a few weeks in January and February now where you're free to do social links. You've got plenty of time!

Awesome, thanks. I wasn't too worried because I know i'm not going to be able to max all my SL's this time around but I wanted enough time to get the ones I wanted to see and my understanding is Marie's SL leads to maybe extra content or something. I will try to get Chie's and Kanji's at least since I already have some levels built with them.

You don't even need a guide, just tap on the Voice icon and it'll tell you what everyone else did. Majority opinion is usually the best option to go with.

Of course this is only useful when you are by some wifi.

I absolutely LOVE the voices feature and I will shout that from the rooftops. Any developers wondering how to get social aspects or shoehorn "multiplayer" into RPG's this is what they need to look at. I check it all the damn time and it's very interesting to see what everyone else did.

I did get caught once by it though. I was cutting it close on a dungeon and didn't realize how close. Saw everyone else eating at Aiya's on a rainy day. So I thought I must have another day or so before i have to finish this dungeon if everyone else is eating at Aiya's so I also ate there. Got home that evening and was prompted to watch midnight channel and BAM, bad ending.

Trigger

I try to just do a few of them at a time. I wish we could get more uninterrupted time for social links in P5. Every large break in the calendar is usually gobbled up by an event.

Salaadin

I did get caught once by it though. I was cutting it close on a dungeon and didn't realize how close. Saw everyone else eating at Aiya's on a rainy day. So I thought I must have another day or so before i have to finish this dungeon if everyone else is eating at Aiya's so I also ate there. Got home that evening and was prompted to watch midnight channel and BAM, bad ending.

I bet you didnt even finish your meal either.

Ponn

Banned
I bet you didnt even finish your meal either.

nope. I kept seeing everyone doing that on rainy days and figured they were trying to boost their skills. I finally finished the bowl last night though. Now I have nothing to do on rainy days but fish or read.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yeah, and get this, the inconsistency is greatest when you talk to her at night or during high rank link conversations.

I thought those parts were actually well done, especially the festival part.

Like I said, she's hit or miss. More miss than hit, so it seems. Still, I kinda like Erin's version more.

nope. I kept seeing everyone doing that on rainy days and figured they were trying to boost their skills. I finally finished the bowl last night though. Now I have nothing to do on rainy days but fish or read.

You could go watch a movie on rainy days too.

joe2187

Banned
One thing you might try, if you have power charge or mind charge, is charge up right before the shell goes down so your first turn does double damage. Another thing is for a party member who doesn't do as much damage to either buff (and try to get him to debuff you with his turn so he doesn't completely restore his shell) or throw magatamas at him.

Black Frost hee hoo.

This is going to take a while...I just got black frost, but damn is it annoying to get hit with that nullify stats thing right before I take my hit...dammit.

Trigger

Yes, yes. And I can always start a new game and relive all the memories ;-;

Never got to finish the PS2 version, my BC PS3 died before I could.

Also, is Arena canon? If it is, I'll get it ASAP.

Arena is canon last I checked. I imagine most of its plot hooks will remain side story material though.

Venfayth

Best things to do on Rainy days:

1. Turn in fox quest (if rank <10 and you have one to turn in)
2. Culture club (if rank <10 and it will rank up)
3. Aiya (if courage, knowledge, diligence, and understanding are <5)
4. Grab a fortune for a link you haven't finished yet
5. Activities at Okina, or the Beach

Best things to do on Rainy days:

1. Turn in fox quest (if rank <10 and you have one to turn in)
2. Culture club (if rank <10 and it will rank up)
3. Aiya (if courage, knowledge, diligence, and understanding are <5)
4. Grab a fortune for a link you haven't finished yet
5. Activities at Okina, or the Beach

I don't think you can grab a fortune on a rainy day.

Tiu Neo

Arena is canon last I checked. I imagine most of its plot hooks will remain side story material though.

Well, at least I'll have a bit more of Persona 4. If they carry over to Persona 5 with cameos from the characters, or even make a direct sequel like Persona 4-2, even better.

Corto

I was not strong enough to wait for the european release... Just finished ordering from VGP. Nw the waiting game. Will return to gush about the game as soon as I get my hands on it.

we in there

8250162076_ccf3cf1f68_z.jpg

I can't tell which part of that description describes me best though.

I like how it's choosing the hardest difficulty that brings an insult/backhanded compliment, and yet choosing Very Easy doesn't say "You are fucking worthless at video games" or some such.

Now that I've finished Golden, I watched a couple episodes of the Endurance Run earlier today to fill this Persona 4 shaped hole in my heart, and after two games and an anime of New Chie the old Chie voice sounds weird to me now.

I feel like some sort of traitor.

pyrandes

I've found that no matter how hard you think a game is, there are always people on the Internet willing to tell you how easy it actually is.
Yep. Always the case someone will chime in with such a statement.

However, it is true the difficulty starts to dive after the first dungeon (completed the 2nd in one day at lv21 on very hard, havent played to the third yet but expecting to 1day that one too)

Trigger

Did I miss the fucking ski trip? I'm towards the end of January and I still don't see it. Off I missed the ski trip because of fucking Marie I swear to God.........

No, you didn't.
It's in Feb. Did you max Marie's link. It makes sense story-wise.

Squire

Banned
I like how it's choosing the hardest difficulty that brings an insult/backhanded compliment, and yet choosing Very Easy doesn't say "You are fucking worthless at video games" or some such.

Hate when games do that. I payed my $60 ($40 in this case) at the door. You can keep the insults. I should be able to enjoy the game any way I damn well please.

Anyway, I maxed Rise and Yosuke's S. Links. Excellent. Especially Yosuke. He may be the character I connect with most, despite being somewhat annoying. Was also good to see
Rise's crush on the MC isn't just a big joke. She really is sincere.

mkenyon

Banned
So, this game is awesome. Just finished the Yukiko Castle.

I never had a console between Genesis and Gamecube (only Eternal Darkness and Mario Kart on Gamecube really), so my exposure to JRPG's is nil outside of Valkyria Chronicles and Pokemon which my wife loves (I did recently play Suikoden II based on the Warren Spector rec). I tried a couple like FFIII, VII, Xenogears, some other stuff. I hated it all. Much more of an emergent/create your own story type of guy when I'm not doing 90% of my gaming which is competitive online stuff.

Don't know what it is about this game. I generally dislike linear narrative, but this is getting audible chuckles out of me. Valkyria Chronicles actual gameplay was good enough to make me wade through the story. This is just nonstop fun. Thank you very much GAF for making this game visible and getting it on my radar. Vita purchase validated.

Noi

I do consider myself a tad of a masochist when it comes to games, so that description was rather apt for me, haha. Persona's not the only game that questions your sanity over picking the Hardest difficulty, in any case.

Yeesh,
Shadow Chie
boss fight alone made me get the trophy for swapping Personas more than 5 times. I'm loving Very Hard as much as I liked Maniac in P3P, makes the early/mid game much more interesting instead of being dull tutorial-esque battles in Normal mode.

(Are we counting early game bosses as spoilers? Tagged it just in case.)

Top Bottom