• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Nah, I actually maxed Marie social link and
I passed out because I had dreams about her and didn't wake up for like a 2 weeks or some shit.
I'm towards the end of January (29th) and I don't see it.

Oh you maxed her link, I thought you meant you missed out on her link. I'm not sure then since I got the ski trip on my first run through the game but I didn't max her link.

I noticed that you have to actually use a persona in battle first, before your can actually register them. This is the reason why I only fused one persona in the whole game. I don't know what they were thinking when they did that.

I noticed that you have to actually use a persona in battle first, before your can actually register them. This is the reason why I only fused one persona in the whole game. I don't know what they were thinking when they did that.

They are auto registered when you fuse.

Man it's really hard to get used to the new Chie, she sounds like she's yelling every sentence.

The new Chie sounds too hyper, like an exaggerated cartoon character. Old Chie may not have sounded the right age to some people (I thought she was fine, though), but she sounded more... normal, I guess? New Chie is too over-the-top for me.

I noticed that you have tho actually use a persona in battle first, before your can actually register them. This is the reason why I only fused one persona in the whole game. I don't know what they were thinking when they did that.

New Personas are automatically registered if you place them into your party. The register function is there so you can update the persona in the compendium. So every time a persona levels up or you use a skill card on them, you can update the compendium to reflect the new changes.

The new Chie sounds too hyper, like an exaggerated cartoon character. Old Chie may not have sounded the right age to some people (I thought she was fine, though), but she sounded more... normal, I guess? New Chie is too over-the-top for me.

nowadays, whenever one of those never-ending car alarms goes off nearby, i tell myself 'it could be worse - it could be the voice of new chie' :) ...

Venfayth

So, this game is awesome. Just finished the Yukiko Castle.

I never had a console between Genesis and Gamecube (only Eternal Darkness and Mario Kart on Gamecube really), so my exposure to JRPG's is nil outside of Valkyria Chronicles and Pokemon which my wife loves (I did recently play Suikoden II based on the Warren Spector rec). I tried a couple like FFIII, VII, Xenogears, some other stuff. I hated it all. Much more of an emergent/create your own story type of guy when I'm not doing 90% of my gaming which is competitive online stuff.

Don't know what it is about this game. I generally dislike linear narrative, but this is getting audible chuckles out of me. Valkyria Chronicles actual gameplay was good enough to make me wade through the story. This is just nonstop fun. Thank you very much GAF for making this game visible and getting it on my radar. Vita purchase validated.

\o/

There's something about this game that's just magical. Everything fits together so perfectly. It really is a classic.

...Oh my GOD. Kanji's cavalry attack... it's... AMAZING

And bad. :mad:

All of the Cavalry attacks have been horrible, except Chie's.

MrBS

This time around I'm going for the try and level slinks up evenly rather than concentrate on a few and I'm already worried I'm going to make no progress. It will work out somehow I guess. I'm saving true ending for a perfect second playthrough anyway.

4RNUFl.jpg

Well, I just got a skill level up card and it said there's no skills that it can increase. I thought the Null Phys/Wind would go to reflect or absorb.

Picked this up last night on PSN thanks to this thread.

I've never played a Persona game before.

I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

It begins. Tonight.

I will thank you all or hate you all. I do not know which yet.

Kerrinck

Yay managed to fish the bastard! Best tip I can give is to only press O when the blue line is big, trying to risk it when it was small was what screwed me up.

Syrinx

Early October.

Welp, I've reached the point of no return with Yukiiko.
When she asked me why I spent so much time with her, part of me wanted to say, "You know, you're the one who approached me at lunchtime and said you wanted to come here". But I told her I really liked her instead. Hmm. Anyway, I'm intimate with Yuki now, and I'm okay with that.

Kinda surprised how the Sayoko s-link is progressing. Her story about the boy in the last hospital she worked at dying was pretty saddening. I didn't expect this link to go where it has gone so far, but that's a good thing.

Then Nanako ran away. She's such a...I don't want to say tragic, cause she hasn't ruined herself yet, or pathetic, cause that seems too condescending... I can't really think of the word for her character, but her s-link is probably my favorite NPC s-link so far.

Alfredo

Is there any secret to fishing? That damn
sea guardian
is kicking my ass.

If you read the Expert Fishing book, you get access to a reel boost on the Triangle button. When reeling, sometimes a Triangle will appear, and when you press it, you'll bring the fish much closer to you and very quickly.

I'm stuck on floor 6 in the
secret base. I picked up a "Research Card" but it says the locked door can't be opened with it. What do i dooooooo

I'm stuck on floor 6 in the
secret base. I picked up a "Research Card" but it says the locked door can't be opened with it. What do i dooooooo

Go back to the 4th floor. There's a door there that you can open with your research card. You'll find a chest there that has the ID card for the 6th floor.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
They are auto registered when you fuse.

I think they're actually automatically registered as soon as you get them from arcane chance.

Register only applies for any changes after the first time you've fused/levelled the persona at all. It's a weirdly worded system.

Forgotten how great everything in this game is. So rare for a games world to be so charming. Man it would be hard to keep the magic going in P5. Even just making an ending theme as amazing as Nevermore or Memories of you must be so damn difficult.

Varna

I think they're actually automatically registered as soon as you get them from arcane chance.

Register only applies for any changes after the first time you've fused/levelled the persona at all. It's a weirdly worded system.

This has to be it. I've never onced registered my Persona and I have collected 44% of them.

This sounds like a Doom level.

It was a bit weird to suddenly have these kind of objectives. I usually just try to rush to the highest floor and then spend a bit of time grinding for treasure and level ups.

I do hope they go back to the crazier Persona dungeons... I want tons of damaging floors, pit falls, random warp points and branching path after path that sends you back to the beginning if you screw up once!

Trigger

The new epilogue is just too much. These feels!

r4CiE.png

Forgotten how great everything in this game is. So rare for a games world to be so charming. Man it would be hard to keep the magic going in P5. Even just making an ending theme as amazing as Nevermore or Memories of you must be so damn difficult.

I think part of what makes the endings so great is that we spend almost a year with both casts. It's hard not to develop feelings for a cast when you spend so much time with them in a day-to-day setting.

Noi

Ick, chalk me up in the camp that thinks Chie's new voice isn't very good. It's not that the casting is bad, but the execution on a lot of lines is pretty iffy. I even grew to like her job in Arena and think her Golden work isn't as good.

lingiii

Banned
If you read the Expert Fishing book, you get access to a reel boost on the Triangle button. When reeling, sometimes a Triangle will appear, and when you press it, you'll bring the fish much closer to you and very quickly.

a REAL boost to REELING.

huh? huh? anyone? doyougetit.jpg

I think part of what makes the endings so great is that we spend almost a year with both casts. It's hard not to develop feelings for a cast when you spend so much time with them in a day-to-day setting.

Yeah, you're right, thats definitely important. There's something to Nanako greeting you every time you get home from a long day thats different from a bunch of scripted story events. Even the way Akihiko would accusingly say "where have you been?" when you slink back into the dorm at night would foster a certain kind of character affection. Maybe the "live out the year" format is a big part of what allows Atlus to make characters that are more people and less rpg cliches.

Trigger

The fox seems happy.

I'd be happy to if I could extort people for large sums of money.

Yeah, you're right, thats definitely important. There's something to Nanako greeting you every time you get home from a long day thats different from a bunch of scripted story events. Even the way Akihiko would accusingly say "where have you been?" when you slink back into the dorm at night would foster a certain kind of character affection. Maybe the "live out the year" format is a big part of what allows Atlus to make characters that are more people and less rpg cliches.

There's no lonelier feeling then when
she's kidnapped and the house becomes empty after all those months together.

Alfredo

So, I just got (Major spoilers)
Hunger S. Link. That was a really cool scene. The way the camera angle changed and such, it felt like an actual cutscene. We got a zoom in on Charlie's face, the slow pan to reveal Adachi's gun pointed at your head. Really cool stuff that I don't think we've seen much in the Persona games. I hope they have more scenes like that in Persona 5

Sera O

Banned

I was actually so pissed this time at that plot point.
I thought it was great how she'd try to nag the veggies when we were gardening at night. "I WANT DELICIOUS VEGGIES!" And then she got kidnapped and I was enraged that she wasn't there to yell at my eggplants. So ronery.

Those details have a cumulative effect. It's the contrast. I can't invest in a plot if it's all just epic events happening to characters I have mostly thought about as holders for skills and equipment. The fact that P4 characters have other stuff going on that's not totally contingent on the protagonist being there is part of why P4 works better for me as a whole. The downtime with the cast makes it work as an ensemble way better than P3's did with the 24-7 dramarama and random love-bot, even with its brilliant moments.

I'm really not into the fanservice in this version. They drag it down into the goofy anime cliche ghetto - it doesn't need those cheap tricks at all.

Trigger

So, I just got (Major spoilers)
Hunger S. Link. That was a really cool scene. The way the camera angle changed and such, it felt like an actual cutscene. We got a zoom in on Charlie's face, the slow pan to reveal Adachi's gun pointed at your head. Really cool stuff that I don't think we've seen much in the Persona games. I hope they have more scenes like that in Persona 5

I hope Persona 5 has more bad endings and more alternative arcana involved.

Varna

I'm really not into the fanservice in this version. They drag it down into the goofy anime cliche ghetto - it doesn't need those cheap tricks at all.

It already had quiet a bit of this initially... that fucken
Junes concert
was just awful though. They could have least given the player more dialogue options to play around with but nah, let's just shove in an episode of generic high school anime #493.

Sera O

Banned
Junes concert
was just awful though. They could have least given the player more dialogue options to play around with but nah, let's just shove in an episode of generic high school anime #493.

Yeah, definitely. I thought
the culture festival pageants
in the original were more than enough, but they have dialed it way up this time around. I'm in November and I'm guessing there is still more to come. Overall though, P4G is fantastic, it's just jarring when these things happen.

Varna

Though Marie is pretty terrible poet, that last few of her social link scenes have been very sweet.

Why do they even mention that you already have a girlfriend if that doesn't really have any consequence?

Junes concert

Yep. It was kind of cringe worthy.

Top Bottom