• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Varna

Yep. It was kind of cringe worthy.

And they just keep coming.
Beauty pageant
up next... what the fuck. :/

I know they are trying to fill the voids with more character centric moments which is GOOD. But this is what the social links are for. All this crap is just taking up days from doing what I actually (and activities that have actually gameplay relevance)want to do. Why is it the social link stories have this really down to earth feeling but all these other events are just some crazy shit from anime... jesus. I hope they learn from this. But honestly feels like they are just pandering a certain niche now. :/

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Beauty pageant

I know they are trying to fill the voids with more character centric moments which is GOOD. But this is what the social links are for. All this crap is just taking up days from doing what I actually (and activities that have actually gameplay relevance)want to do. Why is it the social link stories have this really down to earth feeling but all these other events are just some crazy shit from anime... jesus. I hope they learn from this. But honestly feels like they are just pandering a certain niche now. :/

That was in the original.

The band part was just odd and really out of place.

Beauty pageant

Oops delete this please

Beauty pageant

Yet this particular Megaten title in all it's versions across media is by far the most popular in many years. Frankly, I dont see them learning from this.

Varna

That's probably when I had enough the first time. I don't recall ever using Naoto in battle.

Yet this particular Megaten title in all it's versions across media is by far the most popular in many years. Frankly, I dont see them learning from this.

Well, I'm kind of blowing it out of proportion. These moments when things don't really fit are have crazy hijinks are just blemishes on an otherwise great experience.

Most people in here don't seem to mind besides the three or so of us who have been complaining about it from the start. It's just frustrating to me since a lot of this stuff could just be an option. For example earlier in the game a similar event (well, not as crazy) were
Yosuke ask you to pitch in at Junes for the summer
. This was completely optional. Why couldn't these other events be the same?

Somewhat off topic relating to the bold section.

Do Japanese developers pay much attention from fan criticism? It seems like a lot of western devs read feedback and whatnot (this board in particular definitely seems to have a lot of people in the biz interacting with fans). Is there some kind of Japanese equivalent?

Most people in here don't seem to mind besides the three or so of us who have been complaining about it from the start. It's just frustrating to me since a lot of this stuff could just be an option. For example earlier in the game a similar event (well, not as crazy) were
Yosuke ask you to pitch in at Junes for the summer
. This was completely optional. Why couldn't these other events be the same?

Because that was just stat boosts and money. The other stuff, on the other hand, is part of the plot.

Also, the game takes place across a Japanese school year, and students have to do that cultural festival stuff. So might as well make it entertaining rather then just "You participated in the School Festival" *Time passes*

Marche90

I never did in the original, Naoto was pretty useless in Boss Battles and in general.
Naoto was pretty good in the dungeons if you knew how to handle her. At least that's what I felt (for boss battles she was pretty useless, though)

And about the complaints. I have my doubts about them ever reaching the higher-ups at Atlus. I don't think that someone has complained about it in Japan, and since the devs are japanese, I don't think that they will mind as much the western fanbase.

And to be honest, I do enjoy those events as much as I love the. other aspects of the Meta-Series, thank you

Beauty pageant

You have plenty of days to achieve what you want. If you don't like these debatably funny scenes, there's a fast forward button right there.

Also, the concert actually does have a purpose that will come up later for another character to give them more depth.

Anyway,

Just got to December 7th and saw the new scene with a certain someone. Pretty intense.

The band part was just odd and really out of place.

I think both scenes were great, I'm not really sure why you guys are calling this out of place.

You have a social link where you talk to a magical fox that wants to fix other peoples problems
for no other reason than money. (What are you doing fox? You don't need money you're a fox!)

I could go on and on about the weird/nonsensical things in the story, but I think most people have some sort of embarrassing highschool story that they would rather not talk about,
the beauty pageant
is pretty much that.

The
singing part is just an expansion on Rise's story. Don't you think it's dumb you have an idol friend that you have never heard sing even once?

Kyon

Banned
Beauty pageant

Did you even play the original? It was there. Y'all tried tho
ny15.gif

EDIT: Beaten I c

Varna

Did you even play the original? It was there. Y'all tried tho
ny15.gif

EDIT: Beaten I c

I played to about that far on the PS2 version. I wasn't really ranting about the Golden exclusive scenes, just in general. Just because it was in originally doesn't make it any better then the
concert

The
singing part is just an expansion on Rise's story. Don't you think it's dumb you have an idol friend that you have never heard sing even once?

What did it expand on exactly? Um... I figured she had some kind of entertainment career that probably included singing... This scene revealed the shocking revelation that she.... *GASP* Knows how to sing.

EDIT: Actually, I will consider
the fact that she refuses to use pre-recorded tracks some kind of development
... yes, that will do. :/

My copy turned up this afternoon, really pleased with it so far. However, and I'm sure there's been plenty of this already, but I really don't like Chie's new VO. I figured it wasn't going to be a big deal, but it is so much worse than I imagined it would be. :/

I played to about that far on the PS2 version. I wasn't really ranting about the Golden exclusive scenes, just in general. Just because it was in originally doesn't make it any better then the
concert

Except these scenes are important to show that the characters are friends.

Friends hang out, do stupid things, and laugh at each other.

Plus they're hilarious.

Lusankya

Same thing happened to me. Can someone explain:
Which ending is this? Never played persona 4 before and found it weird that i'd finished the game in 50 hours :l

That's a bad ending. The normal/true ending is much, much longer and you will get up to three more dungeons and more scenes especially in January and February.

Squire

Banned
That's a bad ending. The normal/true ending is much, much longer and you will get up to three more dungeons and more scenes especially in January and February.

WHOA! Okay yeah, reloading was definitely not a mistake. Can't believe we're still not out of the woods. This game just keeps on giving.

Lusankya

WHOA! Okay yeah, reloading was definitely not a mistake. Can't believe we're still not out of the woods. This game just keeps on giving.

There are three scenes where you decide what ending you will see:

First scene (12/3)
When you confront Namatame in the hospital you have to answer Yosuke's question in the right way to prevent a bad ending. You need to convince him, that you missed something and have to investigate further.

Second scene (12/5)
When picking out the Criminal behind the murders, if you can't pick the right one after three tries, the game will go straight to the bad ending. If you pick the right one you still can choose not to say anything to your friends and you will see a new bad ending not included in the original P4.

Third scene (3/20, for normal ending -> true ending)
On March 12, you can either just head home and watch the normal ending, or, if you want the true ending, instead of heading home, find all the people you've met on your social link. When prompted, DON'T go home, but instead meet with your friends in Junes to find the true culprit behind everything.

Oh, and even if you follow the true ending it's completely normal that there will be a time skip from 2/15 to 3/19.

Squire

Banned
Got it. Didn't read your last spoiler paragraph, but it looks like I'm locked in for the normal ending, if nothing more :)

I just did the new bad ending. That was fucked up.

You mean the
Killer's accomplice ending
?

It's pretty interesting that they let you go down that path.

Got it. Didn't read your last spoiler paragraph, but it looks like I'm locked in for the normal ending, if nothing more :)

If you get to the normal ending, you'll be able to get the true ending. There's no way to be locked out of the true ending. You just need to do something extra on the final day.

Lusankya

For 3/20 I give you a spoiler free hint: At a certain point the game will ask you if you want to go home (yes/no). DON'T go home, but instead meet with your friends in Junes. Everything else should naturally develop itself from there.

Just saying, because in contrast to the first two branching points the game doesn't make it clear that you're not supposed to go home. There is no hint at all that you can trigger a new scene in the Junes food court.

Squire

Banned
For 3/20 I give you a spoiler free hint: At a certain point the game will ask you if you want to go home (yes/no). DON'T go home, but instead meet with your friends in Junes. Everything else should naturally develop itself from there.

Just saying, because in contrast to the first two branching points the game doesn't make it clear that you're not supposed to go home. There is no hint at all that you can trigger a new scene in the Junes food court.

Perfect. That sounds in character for me, anyway. I love Inaba; why would I leave? :)

Dantis

It already had quiet a bit of this initially... that fucken
Junes concert
was just awful though. They could have least given the player more dialogue options to play around with but nah, let's just shove in an episode of generic high school anime #493.

Glad people agree with me.

No more of that in P5, please Atlus.

I don't mind the scenes much, but what I do mind is when I look at a week and start thinking "okay, so I can do this and this and this before that happens" and then Yosuke calls me up, I am given no option to refuse him, and suddenly my whole week is over... Fuck you for doing that to me, game.

Lusankya

Glad people agree with me.

No more of that in P5, please Atlus.

I disagree, overall I really liked the non story relevant scenes.
I wouldn't have enjoyed the characters and the game as much if there weren't all those extra scenes. All the school trips, beauty pageants, king's games, ski trips, valentine days etc. really make the characters more likeable to me.

Dantis

I disagree, overall I really liked the non story relevant scenes.
I wouldn't have enjoyed the characters and the game as much if there weren't all those extra scenes. All the school trips, beauty pageants, king's games, ski trips, valentine days etc. really make the characters more likeable to me.

I don't mean all of them. Just the terrible fan-service ones.

Lusankya

I don't mean all of them. Just the terrible fan-service ones.

Out of all the new scenes, I think only the second hot spring scene felt out of place. The first one was fine, but the second one was unnecessary.
Ok, I smiled when Marie struck the guys with a lightning bolt, but overall the scene only told us "Hey, maybe you didn't know already, but Marie has a smoking hot body as well!"

I hope the setting for P5 will be a university. This way we could have the same basic gameplay, but completely new ways in terms of characterization, story, social events, jokes, etc.

Dantis

Out of all the new scenes, I think only the second hot spring scene felt out of place. The first one was fine, but the second one was unnecessary.
Ok, I smiled when Marie struck the guys with a lightning bolt, but overall the scene only told us "Hey, maybe you didn't know already, but Marie has a smoking hot body as well!"

A smoking hot body? Dude. What the frack. I think we took away very different things from that cutscene.

Just out of interest, how familiar are you with MegaTen and Persona? I feel like people who say things like this maybe aren't as invested, and that's why it doesn't bother them.

Marche90

A smoking hot body? Dude. What the frack. I think we took away very different things from that cutscene.

Just out of interest, how familiar are you with MegaTen and Persona? I feel like people who say things like this maybe aren't as invested, and that's why it doesn't bother them.

Really depends on person to person, and it's possible to like both, if that's what you mean. What I've played is: Nocturne, Strange Journey, P3FES and P3P, DS 1 & 2 to completion at least one path, and something like 15 hours of P1, 10 hours of P2IS (PS-fantranslated version this one, lost my save file on both, refused to re-start) 3 hours of P2IS PSP (stuck at the
bomb shelter...
) and an hour or two of the original SMT (sorry about this one, but I couldn't stand the gameplay. Maybe the PS1 or the GBA port would help me to finish the game) and I find almost all of them, except that old gameplay of the original, as enjoyable as P4, and I don't mind the fan-service at all, sometimes I even like it.

As to why I haven't played more of the franchise... blame my wallet :lol, it's certainly not because I don't want to.

Varna

You can't really blame people for not caring. P4 especially does nothing to make you feel like the game is part of a pretty grand universe. I mentioned quiet a few pages back that the first three games had this great sense of continuity with not only each other, but other Megaten games. It was so awesome to see all the references and just speculate on how they related to one another.

But yeah, Megaten use to be pretty be the antithesis of a lot of stuff that goes on in P4. Even though the Persona series was always there more mainstream series, I kind of always figured the anime style was meant to be ironic... *shrug* That's just me though.

Jintor

Holy shit Kimono portraits? I need this game. Rise is the best. (I wish they didn't flanderise Chie's goddamn steak thing)

Dantis

You can't really blame people for not caring. P4 especially does nothing to make you feel like the game is part of a pretty grand universe. I mentioned quiet a few pages back that the first three games had this great sense of continuity with not only each other, but other Megaten games. It was so awesome to see all the references and just speculate on how they related to one another.

But yeah, Megaten use to be pretty be the antithesis of a lot of stuff that goes on in P4. Even though the Persona series was always there more mainstream series, I kind of always figured the anime style was meant to be ironic... *shrug* That's just me though.

But like, how can you watch the bath house scene and not care that it goes against the character's personalities? Same with the True Story scene? And how can people care that it's not Meguro doing most of the new tracks?

My problem isn't just with how people don't care about MegaTen as a whole, they don't even care about Persona 4 as a whole.

Persona fans are weird, man.

Top Bottom