• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Noi

I was tempted for a moment to follow a max social link guide, but I realized that playing on Very Hard would make it very hard to follow through on the Yen requirements needed to buy half the stuff needed on time as well as actually doing dungeons in one day. I'll just leave that for a second playthrough.

Edit: Go into Yukiko's Castle, get player Advantage against my first Red Shadows.

Life is truth, and never a dream...

And how can people care that it's not Meguro doing most of the new tracks?.

I kind of agree with the rest, but this baffles me. Why cant new people try new things. Meguro is really good, but overrated, and what if he wants to let the newer guys try their chops? He isn't megaten to me, because I am also a fan of games before his time, and games where he isn't composing. In fact, the more hardcore, and I mean super hardcore, fans think Meguro sucks because he replaced the original guy, forgot his name at the moment.

Noi

The lack of a Bufu spell in the early parts of Yukiko's Castle is killing me. Magic Hands have their way with me since I can't knock them down, and most of the enemies are resistant to Phys so Chie can't really contribute until she gets to level 6. Why doesn't Apsaras start out with Bufu instead of learning it god knows how many levels later. @_@

LuchaShaq

Banned
I was tempted for a moment to follow a max social link guide, but I realized that playing on Very Hard would make it very hard to follow through on the Yen requirements needed to buy half the stuff needed on time as well as actually doing dungeons in one day. I'll just leave that for a second playthrough.

Edit: Go into Yukiko's Castle, get player Advantage against my first Red Shadows.

Life is truth, and never a dream...

Yup I'm doing very hard this playthrough and next I'll do crazy easy and just do slinks basically.

Um, how do I change my partners to manual control? Can I do that right away, or do I have to wait a bit?

I've just entered Yukiko's Castle. I beat the PS2 version with manual control, but don't remember how to change it.

EDIT: Never mind, got it.

Um, how do I change my partners to manual control? Can I do that right away, or do I have to wait a bit?

I've just entered Yukiko's Castle. I beat the PS2 version with manual control, but don't remember how to change it.

Press square outside of battle and choose "change battle tactics."

Marche90

In-battle: Tactics>Select the character you want to.change> Scroll until you find Direct Control. Do the same with the others

EDIT: Damnit, beaten

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hate the Hardcore Rise Fan trophy. How the hell do you get it the easy way?

Lusankya

Use all characters, get all the different status effects on them and let Rise comment on them. Get criticals with all characters, let them dodge attacks, let them kill a bunch of enemies at once etc. Scan every single enemy and especially the bosses multiple times.
I played with my main party until Hollow Forest and then switched to the chars I never used for the last two dungeons. I got it somewhere during the last dungeon.
The last boss also triggers some unique Rise lines.

IIRC, she also has two lines of dialogue per weak/nul, per low level, equal level, and high level type monster. You can hit analyze over and over to hear most of them.

"This one is strong, but use Ice attacks to take it down"

"This one's a no-brainer, use Fire"

"That enemy is immune to Dark, try something else"

Golbez

Here's what I had before:
igw72l.jpg

...and here's what I have now:
G784Ql.jpg

I wasn't able to keep Blade of Fury along the fusion path I took to get here. Tam Lin actually had Arrow Rain that turned into Akasha Arts. Does anyone know if Akasha Arts can turn into Agneyastra?

Trigger

Not even with the Magician card in Shuffle Time?

As as I said the evolution is wonky. :p The Magician card warped one of my medium phys skills into another medium phys skill. The null skills don't upgrade into absorb skills. Maybe one of the japanese wikis or Gamefaqs has a skill chart?

As as I said the evolution is wonky. :p The Magician card warped one of my medium phys skills into another medium phys skill. The null skills don't upgrade into absorb skills. Maybe one of the japanese wikis or Gamefaqs has a skill chart?

It is wonky! My Aeon Rain evolved into Agneyastra while my Akasha Arts evolved into Myriad Arrows.

Meier

Just raised my courage to Daring and my Social Link with Sayoko to 3. Is there any benefit to raising things with these fringe characters other than fusing? Obviously in the Hospitals case I am making $5k and having some fun too but I was curious if these other SLs ever really pay off like your group mates.

Trigger

Just raised my courage to Daring and my Social Link with Sayoko to 3. Is there any benefit to raising things with these fringe characters other than fusing? Obviously in the Hospitals case I am making $5k and having some fun too but I was curious if these other SLs ever really pay off like your group mates.

The Hermit link decreases cash necessary to restore SP, but no most of them don't if they're not part of a job or a party member.

Nope, playing on normal.

Everytime I play a SMT game I'm too scared to fuse my demons. I'm always afraid I'll fuck myself up. Lol
With the compendium you don't have to worry about that! Just register them and you can go back to them anytime if you don't like the way the fusion came out. Not to mention, you can choose which skills to migrate in this version, which makes it even less likely that you'll screw up. Take the risk, it's totally worth it!

Trigger

Everytime I choose a skill in fusion I feel naughty. I'm so used to the skills being random. Hell, now that I can even buy copies of skills like megido, heat riser, and salvation. I wish skill cards could be applied to allies.

With the compendium you don't have to worry about that! Just register them and you can go back to them anytime if you don't like the way the fusion came out. Not to mention, you can choose which skills to migrate in this version, which makes it even less likely that you'll screw up. Take the risk, it's totally worth it!

But don't you hafta pay a ton to buy back demons?

Meier

If I raise my relationship with Chie up to a point where we're "dating" or whatever the max is, can I also "date" Yukiko and other girls? How exactly does that work? Do you have to choose a single girlfriend?

Trigger

If I raise my relationship with Chie up to a point where we're "dating" or whatever the max is, can I do it with Yukiko and other girls? How exactly does that work?

You can be intimate with all the girls, but you can only visit with one during holiday events. If you don't mind hurting Rise and Yukiko's feelings when you choose to ignore them on Valentine's Day for the superior Chie then there's no real repercussion.

Noi

Very Hard Yukiko's castle has a nasty difficulty spike on Floors 6 and 7. I certainly don't remember so many enemies that have no weaknesses, resistances and can two-shot your party THIS early in the game. Magical Maguses and the enemies that null Agi and Bufu can bite me.

But don't you hafta pay a ton to buy back demons?
It's not cheap, that's true. But I haven't found myself that strapped for cash yet... I always seem to have enough to quickly summon a Persona for use in a Social Link or to fill out a gap in my roster. Usually the stat increases from the fusion more than makes up for the odd skill or two I didn't get to transfer over.

But like, how can you watch the bath house scene and not care that it goes against the character's personalities? Same with the True Story scene? And how can people care that it's not Meguro doing most of the new tracks?

My problem isn't just with how people don't care about MegaTen as a whole, they don't even care about Persona 4 as a whole.

Persona fans are weird, man.
How is either scene out of character for them? Like seriously explain how this is out of line with every thing else in the game.

Probably because I like the new tracks?

This is like some elitist crap youre pulling against people here, dude. I dont care about Persona 4 because I dont have vehement hate over the new scenes and new music? Come on dude.

Trigger

The new dungeon is awful. Just awful. Way too easy, and one fight took me like 10 minutes of auto-attacking.

Wat? What difficulty are you on?
The only thing that made the new dungeon even close to easy was the new abilities. Teddie can randomly restore all SP/HP and Kanji can instantly knock down some foes.
Otherwise it was a pain.

I hope you stocked up on items too.

Tiu Neo

Got my ass kicked by the boss you fight alone on the december dungeon. How humiliating. Well, I'm always underleveled, so I guess I'll grind a bit. Maybe grind for the Risette Fan trophy too, since my other characters are very underleveled.

skarabrae

Banned
Something that I never really looked into is item scarcity in this game. How difficult is it to get SP replenishing items in this game? My strategy is usually just spend as much HP/SP as possible, without using items (unless absolutely necessary, like near death) and, if it's no longer possible to proceed, Goho-M and try the next day. Have other GAFers attempted to clear a dungeon in 1 day or is that not even possible?

Mumei

I wasn't able to keep Blade of Fury along the fusion path I took to get here. Tam Lin actually had Arrow Rain that turned into Akasha Arts. Does anyone know if Akasha Arts can turn into Agneyastra?

When I made my Tam Lin, I transferred Deathbound and then got lucky and downgraded to Blade of Fury. I also got lucky and had Ziodyne upgraded to Maziodyne.

I am not sure if the mechanics changed in Golden; I know in the original that the magician arcana chance for physical abilities is more limited; you can upgrade Cleave to Fatal End, Fatal End to Blade of Fury, Blade of Fury to Death Bound, and Death Bound to Tempest Slash, or you can do Bash to Assault Dive to Kill Rush to Gigantic Fist to Heat Wave to God's Hand or Torrent Shot to Arrow Rain to Myriad Arrows - or you can go the opposite direction.

Maybe Golden expanded things or added new skill progression chains, though.

Curufinwe

Something that I never really looked into is item scarcity in this game. How difficult is it to get SP replenishing items in this game? My strategy is usually just spend as much HP/SP as possible, without using items (unless absolutely necessary, like near death) and, if it's no longer possible to proceed, Goho-M and try the next day. Have other GAFers attempted to clear a dungeon in 1 day or is that not even possible?

I cleared each of the first two dungeons in one day on Normal but I used all the TaP sodas and other SP-restoring items that I had, and in the second dungeon I had to pay for SP restoration twice.

Yeah, people 1-day clear all the time. It's a key strategy in min/max for a complete S. Link run.

As for SP replenishing items - they aren't really the best way to go. Getting the Fox S. Link up to around rank 6 will cost you about 25k for a full SP heal. Rank 8 is about 15k. YMMV, as it depends on your total SP.

Oh, oh yeah! Vending machines (TAP Soda and Dr. Salt Neo) are a nice little boost in SP items. Also, grow Tomatoes in your garden ASAP (20 SP each). You can also farm Yukiko's castle first floor for SP items in the chests (Drops and Snuffs, IIRC).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just a slight observation:

You know the Sauna dungeon music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FeHGWFJqng) at Kanji's dungeon? The song doesn't really seem to make sense because you're not sure if it's disco/dance or rock, basically the music fits the whole ambiguous nature of Kanji.

Dresden

Stock up on TaP sodas every week.

Best way is to simply fuse a Sarasvati early on for Invigorate 2. SOS alerts are also helpful although they're tedious to use.

LuchaShaq

Banned

On very hard I've one dayed every dungeon so far but I use whatever sp items I randomly find/taps/fox (got him up to level 7 really fast).

That said I might use fox even more in the future because I have like 200k.

Noi

On very hard I've one dayed every dungeon so far but I use whatever sp items I randomly find/taps/fox (got him up to level 7 really fast).

how. This is my third day in Yukiko's dungeon and the enemies in here are a living hell.

You're going to have to share your wizardry in more detail, esp. for Yukiko's dungeon.

Top Bottom