• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Curufinwe

Just noticed another little thing - praying at the shrine at night, you may sometimes find that somebody left an item there. I got a purifying salt just now. Time to start praying.

On a side note, not only does Persona 4 have a shot of being 2012's highest rated game on metacritic, it has a shot of being one of 2013's most essential RPGs in kswiston's thread here on GAF.

Gamerankings is better for that since they don't have iOS game cluttering things up and you can set a minimum number of reviews.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2012&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search=

Tiu Neo

Persona 4 really builds on the foundation that Persona 3 made, so they're pretty similar. If you're coming off of Golden, you'll probably want to play Persona 3 Portable for direct control and mechanics closer to P4. If you play FES, you'll probably want to play it in PCS2 with the widescreen patch, if that option is available to you.

Avoid the PSN version of P3FES. It has numerous issues.

Thanks! Bought P3P and I'm downloading now, since importing P3FES physical would be a bit too expensive to me, and I'm not in the mood to mess with emulators anyway.

Sophia

Thanks! Bought P3P and I'm downloading now, since importing P3FES physical would be a bit too expensive to me, and I'm not in the mood to mess with emulators anyway.

I'm guessing you're not in the US then? Either way, enjoy. It's a bit rougher around the edges, because it came out first, but it's as every bit as good as Persona 4 is.

I've heard that they patched something in the PSN version of Persona 3 FES, so I'm redownloading it myself. I know the save bug wasn't fixed, and I don't expect the color issue to be fixed either. (And even if it was, there's no way to take my save over from the PC to the PS3 thanks to the non-standard format all the PS2 Classics save as... -.-)

Beat the game last night and let me say that the epilogue was totally worth playing through that restrictive dungeon. I really needed this ending to wash a year of crappy endings out of my mouth, to think I'd fall in love with this game again after playing it back when it released. And a lot of people were right the reason this cast is so great is case they're actually friends and you see and feel it.

The last date with rise on valentines was perfect. Too bad we cant get the final costumes:( This game was so damn good I'm thinking about getting p4 arena and I don't even like fighting games, but bring on P5!!!

The resolution isn't right on most HDTVs (black bars at the top and bottom), the colors aren't right if you're using HDMI and the Full setting, and there are various emulation glitches ranging from the mildly annoying (some graphical effects, one area of Tartarus is really badly affected) to the rare but downright nasty (such as the game eating your save game.)

Just save yourself the hassle and get a PS2, or PCSX2, or Persona 3 Portable.

Still have a PS2 with Raidou 2 in it. Gotta finish that one too.

Tiu Neo

I'm guessing you're not in the US then? Either way, enjoy. It's a bit rougher around the edges, because it came out first, but it's as every bit as good as Persona 4 is.

I've heard that they patched something in the PSN version of Persona 3 FES, so I'm redownloading it myself. I know the save bug wasn't fixed, and I don't expect the color issue to be fixed either. (And even if it was, there's no way to take my save over from the PC to the PS3 thanks to the non-standard format all the PS2 Classics save as... -.-)

I'm Brazillian. Older games are a pain to get here, and importing has a lot of headaches, specially in december. Good thing is, our region is the same as US.

And if it becomes more playable, I may get it on the PS3 just for the epilogue :D Anyway, thanks for all the help!

LuchaShaq

Banned
That looks mean as fuck

You get Ma spells from fusions or using cards?

From fusion I had maragion/magarule/bufula/zionga and have gotten so many magician cards that so far I've gotten three magician cards with black frost THAT CANT CHANGE ANYTHING. Too bad it didn't turn magagion in marigydyne or similar changes to make him even more insane.

Cool Breeze/invig 3 were fusions from other personas who got magician cards already.

Dantis

That's a great game. I have my Teddie plush from the Social Link Expansion Pack in the Devil Survivor 2 box next to Raiho.

Real shame that never came out over here. :(

I've considered importing it and playing it off an emulator before, but the prices are pretty high, and I didn't completely love the first one, so I've never been able to justify it.

Maybe one day.

LuchaShaq

Banned
You know what's awesome?

Getting a high level persona 99% of the way to the next level...THEN getting an emperor card.

If it waited two more fights or came 4 floors ago that would've been great!

Trigger

New Game+ is just awesome. I was able to one-shot the first dungeon boss and now I don't have to waste time maxing some of my social stats.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah I'm going to try to get all social links + the all books read achievement in my new game +.

That's what I did, had plenty of time.
Save Hermit/Sun for Rainy Days.

Also, for the books. Might want to look at the guides, as some of the books are needlessly hard to get.

Why is it everyone in the town is afraid of the rain except the fox? (I'm guessing it's since so many Slinks take place outside)

Noi

You know what's awesome?

Getting a high level persona 99% of the way to the next level...THEN getting an emperor card.

If it waited two more fights or came 4 floors ago that would've been great!

That was me all day yesterday trying to get Slime to learn Red Wall. I bet it's on purpose.

Holy shit Black Frost is my homie for life.

Got a bunch of skill change cards.

Cool Breeze
Invigorate 3
Mind Charge
Fire Amp

Magarula
Mazionga
Mabufala
Maragion (about to change to agidyne then try the VQ boss)

I basically have infinite SP and destroy everything even on very hard. Most of the time the rest of my party doesn't even get a turn.

i don't know - i've got a few personas, like a lvl 60 skadi w/ agneyastra, megidoloan, mind charge, invigorate 3, & spell master, but, on normal anyway, this game just seems so ludicrously easy compared to the original that i'm not getting nearly the level of satisfaction i used to get from making my bad asses :) ...

& did anyone else have a hard time getting adachi from lvl 5 to lvl 6? as in, having to do 2 get-togethers, & a shrine visit, first?...

Tamanon

Banned
That's what I did, had plenty of time.
Save Hermit/Sun for Rainy Days.

Also, for the books. Might want to look at the guides, as some of the books are needlessly hard to get.

Why is it everyone in the town is afraid of the rain except the fox? (I'm guessing it's since so many Slinks take place outside)

Well.... end-game spoilers.

The gas station guy likes to hang out in the rain too!

Syrinx

Late October for me now.

Looks like shit is going to go down soon. The killer knows I'm the dude who's been thwarting his plans, and he's left me a warning letter. Like Naoto said, pretty ballsy of him to do that considering he left it in the mailbox of the head detective on the case. Also got a cutscene of him. Insane dude who wants to deliver them from the pain of this world. Kinda disappointing. Was hoping for a deeper motive than that. I suppose I should wait until I see who it is and what happened to him before I make judgments.

The concert thing at Junes was weird. How did Yukiko and Chie in particular get so good in literally hours? Yukiko was struggling to get noise out of the fucking thing at first. I kinda liked the scenes of them practicing and sucking, but it's still probably my least favorite story event so far.

I liked the scene in the doctor's office. Teddie's perverted nature and existential crisis compliment each other well

Also, Yosuke and I beat the shit out of each other. We're now bros for life. Nanako's s-link continues to be strong, with her revelation about how her mother's death affected Dojima as well as her. Her maturation process really is something.

I feel pissed that the Contrarian King in Yukiko's Castle was the beast he was. He basically made me put off doing those things throughout the game, only for the next two to be total pushovers.

So, general question regarding major spoilers that take place in November:

So, obviously I know some shit goes down with Nanako over the course of the rest of the game. Does she come back at any point for me to finish up the S-link in January? I took forever to get my expression high enough, and didn't realize my deadline was coming up so soon. Obviously new game +, but still.

So, general question regarding major spoilers that take place in November:

So, obviously I know some shit goes down with Nanako over the course of the rest of the game. Does she come back at any point for me to finish up the S-link in January? I took forever to get my expression high enough, and didn't realize my deadline was coming up so soon. Obviously new game +, but still.

Nope, gone for good

Iacobellis

Just started playing yesterday and I am stuck on the fifth floor on Yukiko's Castle.
Some areas I go to, she speaks short nonsense. When I approach the door she is behind, it is locked.
Last night, I was able to open the door, but forgot to save my game. Do I need a certain key to unlock it?

Sophia

Just started playing yesterday and I am stuck on the fifth floor on Yukiko's Castle.
Some areas I go to, she speaks short nonsense. When I approach the door she is behind, it is locked.
Last night, I was able to open the door, but forgot to save my game. Do I need a certain key to unlock it?

You need to beat the mini-boss who's behind the east-most door to get the key.

Sophia

Is this boss on the fifth floor, as well?
I've gone back to every previous floor, searching every chest for the item.

Yup, you should be getting warped around on the fifth floor. When it warps you down into the southeastern corner, go east to the door and enter it and the boss will be waiting for you. Winning nets you the key.

You two clearly believe in a laconic philosophy. :p

What are the last days for Tower and Strength Slinks? I've seen that this version has been extended to allow you to s link into january but are they available then?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What are the last days for Tower and Strength Slinks? I've seen that this version has been extended to allow you to s link into january but are they available then?

Tower is, I'm fairly certain strength is too.

Suikoguy

I have never been so pissed off.
Teddie just used kamui miracle and made kumino's health go back to max when she only had like 1 attack left.
FUCK LIFE.

Holy shit, it can do that? bwhahaha

Noi

I have never been so pissed off. Teddie just used kamui miracle and made kumino's health go back to max when she only had like 1 attack left.
FUCK LIFE.

To be fair, you were asking for it using a spell like that against a boss. :p Reminds me the same thing happening to me in P3's final boss, only with charm.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeahh, I finally beat
Mitsuo!
And I didn't even need the Black Frost. I made him anyway though. Rakunda was key! Is there super rakunda?

Noi

Yeahh, I finally beat
Mitsuo!
And I didn't even need the Black Frost. I made him anyway though. Rakunda was key! Is there super rakunda?

Super Rakunda: Cast Rakunda again! Buffs/Debuffs stack this time around.

(You can get Marakunda later, does the same thing but to every enemy.)

Golbez

Super Rakunda: Cast Rakunda again! Buffs/Debuffs stack this time around.

(You can get Marakunda later, does the same thing but to every enemy.)
Do we know the mechanics of how it stacks now? Does it just last three turns longer or does the actual defense go down?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm trying to do the "I Fear Cats" quest. I can't bring the cat even though I finished quest 20. Is it because I'm in progress of Q21?

You have to talk to the guy and bring him to the cat. You'll bring him to the cat in front of Dojima's house and he'll run away.

You have to talk to the guy and bring him to the cat. You'll bring him to the cat in front of Dojima's house and he'll run away.

The cats won't budge and he won't budge.

Edit: Nm I got it! I kept denying its pet thinking I would spend a day with it, but forgot there was a second pop up.

Of course! Just realized I hadn't checked there. Thanks.

So far I'm blazing through the January. Really liking the new scenes, especially the
new resolution and recaps for the party and their new Personas. Those new signature moves are pretty kick ass.

Maxed out all of the social links too. People complaining about there not being enough time because of the new forced events are nuts.

Top Bottom