• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

Ugh, it hurts so much.

While looking up a video from Persona 4 I stumbled across an old scene from the PS2 version. I've grown to accept new Chie, but my heart longs for the original.
r4CiE.png

So is this the definite version?

Hell yes.

Tiu Neo

While looking up a video from Persona 4 I stumbled across an old scene from the PS2 version. I've grown to accept new Chie, but my heart longs for the original.
r4CiE.png

Hell yes.

Don't know if it's because I played only 1/3 of the original, but... At first, Chie's new voice felt strange, now I like it more than the older voice. I think it fits better.

cjkeats

Crappiest version. Where are the Sevens and Kasugayama outfits Atlus? The Raidou Kuzunoha outfit? COME ON SON

aw man I would love a Raidou outfit. Are they're outfits for any of the other Persona's or just 3? I'd love the P2 uniforms so I can dress Chie up like Lisa.

Also when/where do I get the P3 outfits?

aw man I would love a Raidou outfit. Are they're outfits for any of the other Persona's or just 3? I'd love the P2 uniforms so I can dress Chie up like Lisa.

Featherman_Rangers.jpg

This was an overt Persona 2 reference. Sure Persona 3 mentioned them too, but they were tied directly to the plot of Persona 2 and the masks look exactly the same.

Kashiwagi gives you the boys uniforms when you ace the exams in November, I think. Still dont know where to get the girls uniforms.
Featherman_Rangers.jpg

This was an overt Persona 2 reference. Sure Persona 3 mentioned them too, but they were tied directly to the plot of Persona 2 and the masks look exactly the same.
Shit man, still always weirds me out knowing that the yellow rangers are usually dudes in super sentai.

cjkeats

Featherman_Rangers.jpg

I haven't played a ton of P2 yet, but someday I hope to suck it up and play it through.
I never noticed the masks but sure enough:

Kashiwagi gives you the boys uniforms when you ace the exams in November, I think. Still dont know where to get the girls uniforms.

Perfect, I'm in October now.

One thing that I really wish they had done is give Rise costumes too. Im surprised they didnt seeing as how she shows up in battle so often.

Ugh... I'm trying to get a regular vendor drop from an enemy, but he only drops his quest related drop. They're both for quests, but does the Quest drop replace the normal drop?

Kinda sucks.

Shit man, still always weirds me out knowing that the yellow rangers are usually dudes in super sentai.

I saw a post that said the girls unis were in January. Didn't say how or when, though.

Does any one actually wear costumes with regularity? I usually just put them on to see what people have to say. I really quite liked most of the Halloween costumes, as well as the male festival uni that looks like Izanagi's outfit. But I pretty much always go back to winter unis after a few battles.

Does any one actually wear costumes with regularity? I usually just put them on to see what people have to say. I really quite liked most of the Halloween costumes, as well as the male festival uni that looks like Izanagi's outfit. But I pretty much always go back to winter unis after a few battles.
If its the weekend or holiday, I always make them wear their non school clothes. Now Im in midwinter, I make them wear those specific clothes. When Im just grinding, or trying to do quests, I switch around to the more goofier costumes.

Trigger

Why does this game hate me? I can't for the life of me get some of the random drops for some of these quests.

I use seasonal clothing. Once I unlock the P3 costumes (missed them in my first playthrough) I'll stick with those.

Why does this game hate me? I can't for the life of me get some of the random drops for some of these quests.

I use seasonal clothing. Once I unlock the P3 costumes (missed them in my first playthrough) I'll stick with those.

Most of the quests seem like auto drops. There was one that was a limited enemy with a 50% drop rate that took me a long time, though. I hear some quests are easier on rainy days.

And I like winter unis better for pretty much all the characters, so I usually stick with those. Not a fan of the summer short sleeves. I do like some of the casual clothes pretty well, like Kanji's winter jacket is pretty badass.

Ponn

Banned
Crap. I was trying to get the Reader trophy and i'm now in Feb. Was reading the last few books and trophy didn't pop. I thought I had them all and don't know what I could be missing. I have The Divine Way and that seems to be the one most people missed.

So I did the Winter event and i've gotta say
I could never start a relationship with Naoto and do that to my bro Kanji. I know they want to do the whole choice thing but these relationships seem so set already I would feel weird doing any other one then Rise. I know people are kind of upset they didn't go all the way with Kanji being gay but his story actually makes alot of sense in context. He just has an aversion to "girly" girls and I can totally understand that plus he enjoys sewing and crafts and feels he has to overcompensate for that. I'm actually more upset they didn't go with the Chie and Yukiko relationship. That one seems much more like a missed opportunity to me.

barrin87

Does having a persona that coincides with the person you are hanging out with change anything with how fast you level up with them?

Trigger

Does having a persona that coincides with the person you are hanging out with change anything with how fast you level up with them?

Matching the persona gives you a boost I believe (aka have a Chariot persona when you talk with Chie). You don't need to equip it; just have it with you.

barrin87

Matching the persona gives you a boost I believe (aka have a Chariot persona when you talk with Chie). You don't need to equip it; just have it with you.

OK, so if I can it's better to try hanging out with the people that I actually have a matching persona?

I am loving this game so far but pretty much everything confuses me with how things work in it since this is the first Persona game I have really gotten into.

Trigger

OK, so if I can it's better to try hanging out with the people that I actually have a matching persona?

I am loving this game so far but pretty much everything confuses me with how things work in it since this is the first Persona game I have really gotten into.

Mmhmm, most of the early social links have corresponding personae that are easy to acquire. You can also make lunches, ace tests, study together, and pray if you don't have the persona.

Squire

Banned
Do costumes carry over in New Game+? Actually, can someone just post a spoiler tagged summary of everything that carries over?

Kazzy

Hm, slowly making my way through this, but will able to hit it with everything in about a weeks time.

Can anyone provide me with a list of the S-Link cut-off times? I think I'll be fine, but I seem to remember there were a couple of extremely time specific ones in vanilla P4, and some crazy ones in P3P.

I'm hedging my bets with how I'm managing the S-links, having barely touched the investigation teams ones (Yosuke 8, Yukiko 5, Chie 2, Rise 2). Pretty much banking on being afforded a bunch of time towards the endgame. Sun is the only one I've maxed, but Strength, Justice & Hiero are all but ready too. Just about to enter the
void quest dungeon.

I still don't what to make of the
Adachi
S-link, for obvious reasons.

Hm, slowly making my way through this, but will able to hit it with everything in about a weeks time.

Can anyone provide me with a list of the S-Link cut-off times? I think I'll be fine, but I seem to remember there were a couple of extremely time specific ones in vanilla P4, and some crazy ones in P3P.

I'm hedging my bets with how I'm managing the S-links, having barely touched the investigation teams ones (Yosuke 8, Yukiko 5, Chie 2, Rise 2). Pretty much banking on being afforded a bunch of time towards the endgame. Sun is the only one I've maxed, but Strength, Justice & Hiero are all but ready too. Just about to enter the
void quest dungeon.

I still don't what to make of the
Adachi
S-link, for obvious reasons.

All I know off the top of my head is that
Justice and Hiero need to be done pretty much by start of November, and Jester needs to be at 6 at that point. Also, Death is tough because you are limited on the days you can do it, Sundays and Holidays only.

Do costumes carry over in New Game+? Actually, can someone just post a spoiler tagged summary of everything that carries over?

Apparently yes, which is very nice.

Don't vouch for accuracy, and don't think there are any plot spoilers, but list here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/answers?qid=339331

Trigger

I got my costumes, cash, compendium, the social link items, and unlocked skill cards. Oh and you you can buy the weapons you've unlocked from the get go. I don't think any of that would count as spoilers.

A big issue is that apparently there's still a barrier to fusion. I tried to fuse a persona that was higher than my MC's level and was told he was too strong.

I got my costumes, cash, compendium, the social link items, and unlocked skill cards. Oh and you you can buy the weapons you've unlocked from the get go. I don't think any of that would count as spoilers.

A big issue is that apparently there's still a barrier to fusion. I tried to fuse a persona that was higher than my MC's level and was told he was too strong.

Yeah, apparently you can buy anything from the compendium, but you can't fuse if you aren't high enough. So if you bring in cash, you can buy the best persona in the game on day 1, but you can't buy the six components persona and fuse it (if you were weird and wanted to).

Which kind of makes max s-link items useless, unless you really screw up and can't get a max run on your New Game plus.

edit: Oh, you can also edit difficulty. So you could put it on very hard but receive yen/experience as if you were on very easy. I might do something like that. Afraid it will be too easy on normal again, but also don't want to grind a ton.

Squire

Banned

I thought this might come up. How unfortunate. Really puts a damper on having the ability to purchase the registered Personas early. I mean, it almost makes the option void.

Trigger

Yeah, apparently you can buy anything from the compendium, but you can't fuse if you aren't high enough. So if you bring in cash, you can buy the best persona in the game on day 1, but you can't buy the six components persona and fuse it (if you were weird and wanted to).

Which kind of makes max s-link items useless, unless you really screw up and can't get a max run on your New Game plus.

I never understood the point of keeping the max link items. You get no bonus from them since you have to re-max the link to get the bonus fusion experience.

But this also means I can't use the fusion trick to fill up my compendium and I have to wait till I'm 90+ to get the ultimate persona!
r4CiE.png

edit: Oh, you can also edit difficulty. So you could put it on very hard but receive yen/experience as if you were on very easy. I might do something like that. Afraid it will be too easy on normal again, but also don't want to grind a ton.

I'm doing that now actually. Hard mode, but I have just exp/cash set to more on the difficulty section. I'm breezing through the dungeons. I've been able to one day them all now since my Izanagi is still a physical god.

I never understood the point of keeping the max link items. You get no bonus from them since you have to re-max the link to get the bonus fusion experience.

But this also means I can't use the fusion trick to fill up my compendium and I have to wait till I'm 90+ to get the ultimate persona!
r4CiE.png

I'm doing that now actually. Hard mode, but I have just exp/cash set to more on the difficulty section. I'm breezing through the dungeons. I've been able to one day them all now since my Izanagi is still a physical god.

What is this fusion trick you speak of? I was debating just December
starting my new game plus on December and then speeding through early sections since I messed up the Justice S-link, but decided to go ahead and finish it off, get as much costumes/money as I can, fill out beyond 75% in the compendium for the discount, and so on.

e

Trigger

What is this fusion trick you speak of? I was debating just December
starting my new game plus on December and then speeding through early sections since I messed up the Justice S-link, but decided to go ahead and finish it off, get as much costumes/money as I can, fill out beyond 75% in the compendium for the discount, and so on.

e

Two personae of the same arcana will always give you a lower rank persona of the same arcana when you fuse them. If you max a social link you'll get access to that arcana's highest ranked persona. For example, The 10th Chariot persona fused with the 9th will give you the 8th and so on. If you just fuse that way you can fill up the compendium quicker. Pretty handy if you're trying to do the Empress social link or unlock more skill cards. lol, of course I'm going off of the PS2 versions. Maybe that's changed with Golden.

I can't do that now since I didn't create the highest persona of some of the social links I maxed and the level limit stops me from doing it until I've gotten the required levels.

Just entered the 3rd dungeon and having
Namatame's delivery truck drive when you are chasing Rise's peeping tom is a nice little touch.
. Not sure if it is new or not but I don't remember it.

I am completely enthralled all over again. You'd think that 4 playthroughs of the PS2 game would be enough but nope.

Finished the game last night and unknowingly missed the
flags for the True Ending.
Before I realized it, I was at NG+ and completely
underwhelmed.
I usually go back to an NG+ after a month or so if my backlog is slow to rock a game...

But no. No fucking way, I am getting that ending NOW. I IMMEDIATELY restarted and blazed through the first dungeon in one sitting.

Just entered the 3rd dungeon and having
Namatame's delivery truck drive when you are chasing Rise's peeping tom is a nice little touch.
. Not sure if it is new or not but I don't remember it.

I am completely enthralled all over again. You'd think that 4 playthroughs of the PS2 game would be enough but nope.
Its not new, its in vanilla.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Its not new, its in vanilla.

Yeah, that was there already. They add in some new touches elsewhere tho, in the new scenes particularly, almost in your face about it.

Also, (lategame non-plot dialogue spoiler)
Valenine's Day with Nanako. "It's give your big bro chocolate day." Nanako: "How did you know? I bought it in secret!"
edit: also,
Your instincts, honed after a year of battle, are ringing warning bells in your mind/

Lmao. Protag has the most awesome lines.

And apparently there is in fact a skill card for almost every non-unique persona ability in the game spread out among the personas. Think they don't have repel, just null>absorb element, but just about everything else is in, judging from my compendium.

Top Bottom