• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Varna

Late October/ Early November spoilers.

Pretty funny how the one time when it isn't 100% obvious who the next
victim the characters know even without another drawn investigation scene

Since
Dojima is now in the hospital does that mean his SL is officially closed now? I was at the 9th rank... with just one more session to finish it off. But I decided to make some envelops hoping to finally max out diligence and be ready for the next rainy day lunch special. :(

I'm really curious where the story will go from here. I knew that
weird guy wandering around the town had something to do with it

Late October/ Early November spoilers.

Since
Dojima is now in the hospital does that mean his SL is officially closed now? I was at the 9th rank... with just one more session to finish it off. But I decided to make some envelops hoping to finally max out diligence and be ready for the next rainy day lunch special. :(

You goofed, and now it is too late. Me too!

Lagunamov

About Jester SL (Major Spoilers)
Ok, Adachi is arrested and I'm doing snow balls with Nanako. I'm rank 9 in that Social Link, I missed the chance to complete it?

Trigger

Lawd, clean up those spoilers.

Doh!

I have an earlier save, but nah. It's all part of the game. I actually thought his 9th rank was the final one. It seemed pretty conclusive.

FALSE Information!!

You can restart that link and Justice in January. :p

How are the loading times in this game in general? I heard that the download version bumps each loading screen to be 2 to 4 seconds longer, so I was wondering how significant that might end up being.
Thanks

Lawd, clean up those spoilers.

FALSE Information!!

You can restart that link and Justice in January. :p

For serious? I was told otherwise, and if what you are saying is accurate, my max link run is back on.

Also, finally ... Mara. i'm just going to stick him in my inventory. Right around the midsection of it.

ckohler

How are the loading times in this game in general? I heard that the download version bumps each loading screen to be 2 to 4 seconds longer, so I was wondering how significant that might end up being.
Thanks

I play off the cart and it's maybe one second at most consistently.
Loading a saving your game is instantaneous.

Trigger

For serious? I was told otherwise, and if what you are saying is accurate, my max link run is back on.

I messed up on the Justice link the first time through and thought I had lost the chance too.

It's not a large window, but enough time to get the last event for sure.

Varna

Fuck... why did I read the spoiler... I just figured it would be some goofy shit involving that character. Didn't expect a major plot spoiler. :(

Yup. Loading is non-existent. I was actually playing Innocent Sin before P4 and I do not understand how that game has such ridiculous loading times but this game that probably has to load a ton of information doesn't.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Lol. Saturnus with auto-maraku and Auto-mataru, plus spellmaster. I am a tank with endless SP. Once I add absorb/reflect ice to replace evade ice I'll be pretty much an invincible megidolaon spamming machine.

edit; Just got chakra ring. Does that stack? If so, lol.

That seems OP at first, but more things come end-game seem to be semi-resistant to almighty damage or have bigger weaknesses to elemental damage, even if they're not WEAK to it, given you/your party member's innate Boost/Amp Damage if you keep those skills on.

*This goes back to the doublejump guide I got back for PS2 persona 4, which said that enemies actually have stats (i.e. 100%, 150%, etc.) for damage modifiers for all attacks, including almighty, which is why sometimes All Out Attacks do barely any damage.

I'd say get one persona with a lot of resists + megidaolan, then get either a persona with good magic + all 4 Ma-elements or if you have room (which you will near end-game), find a persona with the severe-unique element (Loki, Thor, Surt, and Odin), and get them boost + amp passives, along with Yoshi for Physical. Then you're pretty much unstoppable (as if you weren't already by endgame, lol).

And yes, I think Chakra ring stacks with Spellmaster. Could be wrong though, never tried it cause I didn't need it. Spellmaster + Relaxing wave is all the sp you'd need barring special circumstances.

About Jester SL (Major Spoilers)

IIRC, if you got Jester up to 6, it should auto-level similar to judgment as the game goes on. Spoilers for end-game
Did it change to lust/hunger? I would imagine it would conclude around the time adachi sends you the note for how he got his persona in the true ending if it hasn't maxed at the end of the good ending)
but I'm not sure as I missed it first time around.

Best way to run into The man who hides in chests
The Reaper?

P3 just standing there spoiled me. I heard jingling occasionally and there are no chests left to open!

Trigger

IIRC, if you got Jester up to 6, it should auto-level similar to judgment as the game goes on. Spoilers for end-game
Did it change to lust/hunger? I would imagine it would conclude around the time adachi sends you the note for how he got his persona in the true ending if it hasn't maxed at the end of the good ending)
but I'm not sure as I missed it first time around.

ENDGAME SPOILER
It changes to Hunger or Lust if you choose to meet Adachi alone after fingering him for the crime. If you help him hide his tracks then you max the link as Jester.

Sophia

Ok, then I'm doing it well till now :) . Thanks.

ENDGAME SPOILER
It changes to Hunger or Lust if you choose to meet Adachi alone after fingering him for the crime. If you help him hide his tracks then you max the link as Jester.

Yup, the key element is making sure that you met Adachi alone and had it turn to Hunger/Lust. If that happened, you're good to go to the end.

Metroidvania

Best way to run into The man who hides in chests
The Reaper?

P3 just standing there spoiled me. I heard jingling occasionally and there are no chests left to open!

Atlus changed it up from P4's playthrough 2 randomness. After every 21 chests you open, the next chest you open has a *chance* to have him hidden inside, but only for as long as you stay on the current floor. If you run out of chests on the floor after you hear the jingle, or there's only a locked chest left, you're out of luck. Also, even if it is a normal chest, it's only a chance for him to be in. If you open it and nothing happens, the count starts over.

Only way I could find him consistently was run through a floor, pick up all the chests (locked chests still count towards the number) and run out and save at 20 chests. Then go the first floor of a dungeon and exit until I had at least 2 chests in the dungeon that weren't locked. Opened one, heard the jingle, and prayed as I clicked the last one.

Atlus changed it up from P4's playthrough 2 randomness. After every 21 chests you open, the next chest you open has a *chance* to have him hidden inside, but only for as long as you stay on the current floor. If you run out of chests on the floor after you hear the jingle, or there's only a locked chest left, you're out of luck. Also, even if it is a normal chest, it's only a chance for him to be in. If you open it and nothing happens, the count starts over.

Only way I could find him consistently was run through a floor, pick up all the chests (locked chests still count towards the number) and run out and save at 20 chests. Then go the first floor of a dungeon and exit until I had at least 2 chests in the dungeon that weren't locked. Opened one, heard the jingle, and prayed as I clicked the last one.

Best place to farm chests? Does any dungeon increase likelihood? I think I found him in the Castle at like level 15, so lol.

Also, what are all the combo attacks:

Chie + Yukiko
Kanji + Naoto
Teddie + Yosuke

Anything else?

Trigger

lol, that sounds like way too much work. I miss the days when I was just stalked.

lol, that sounds like way too much work. I miss the days when I was just stalked.

Isn't it required to get
an optional dungeon? I know there are two, I thought it was Marie plus Reaper like in P3. Am I wrong? Still going to do it as a matter of pride, but I guess I should iron out confusion.

Sophia

Isn't it required to get
an optional dungeon? I know there are two, I thought it was Marie plus Reaper like in P3. Am I wrong? Still going to do it as a matter of pride, but I guess I should iron out confusion.

No optional dungeon associated with the reaper this time around in P4 or P4G.

Trigger

Isn't it required to get
an optional dungeon? I know there are two, I thought it was Marie plus Death like in P3. Am I wrong? Still going to do it as a matter of pride, but I guess I should iron out confusion.

No.

Max the Aeon link before January to get the new dungeon. When you reach the final day you can start the path to the True Ending (and it's dungeon). Death is more bragging rights (and maybe a trophy?)

No optional dungeon associated with the reaper this time around in P4 or P4G.

No.

Max the Aeon link before January to get the new dungeon. When you reach the final day you can start the path to the True Ending (and it's dungeon). Death is more bragging rights (and maybe a trophy?)

Okay, good. Didn't miss anything, just guessed wrong. Thanks to both of you.

Also, totally going to hit 99. 84 just before fighting the boss in December dungeon.

Metroidvania

Best place to farm chests? Does any dungeon increase likelihood? I think I found him in the Castle at like level 15, so lol.

Any dungeon works except for the new one. I just did 1st floor of Story/Dungeon Spoiler
The real murderer's dungeon, 1st floor of Magatsu Inaba.
Usually like 4-5 chests there.

Also, if you find a chest near the entrance of the 1st floor of a dung, you can hit square, go to entrance, but as long as you don't switch to floor 2 or go back to central area with save point/Velvet Room, the dungeon won't actually change, but the chests will reset. So you could theoretically run in/out over and over, run to chest, repeat up til 20, save, then go in and hope for the last two.

It's how I got Protag's + Yosuke's best weapons, but then I got bored of farming him.

Also small thing, but I wonder why they took out Save points with auto-escapes on the boss floor of each dungeon. Seemed kinda weird to take them out and make you blow a go-hom instead when you can still go right back to the same floor.

Isn't it required to get an optional dungeon?
Only "optional" dungeon is the first one you mentioned. There is no other truly optional dungeon, only ones that are locked by certain story choices.

Finding the man in the chests and beating him only gets a trophy.

Meier

Just maxed out Yukiko's SL. Really, really want evade ice but don't want to give up any of my skills. Do any of you guys usually keep Mudoon for her? It's either give up that or the group fire spell...

Metroidvania

Just maxed out Yukiko's SL. Really, really want evade ice but don't want to give up any of my skills. Do any of you guys usually keep Mudoon for her? It's either give up that or the group fire spell...

You shouldn't need Mudoon for Yukiko, especially when another party member later on gets Mudoon + Hamaon as well as the boosts. She's more useful (to me, at least) as a fire nuker/healer.

Trigger

You should've dropped Mudoon IMO. MC and other party members can use that skill more efficiently. Party members don't lose their weaknesses now so evade ice is pretty crucial for avoiding damage.

I drop Mudo/Hama on everyone. If I need it I can use my MC. But I rarely ever use it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Oh jeeze, it's only a CHANCE that he appears? Well that sucks.

Metroidvania

Oh jeeze, it's only a CHANCE that he appears? Well that sucks.

To be fair, I think it's a pretty decent chance. 3 out 5 in my limited experience trying to farm. I dunno how the alogrithm picks chests if there are more than one valid target after the 21st is opened, which was the case the two times I missed him, and had to reload.

Also, fighting a shadow after the 21st opening and hearing the rattle restarts the count as well, at least in my experience, though I've read others who've said it hasn't.

Man, I finished this game last week.... is it too early to start a second play? I don't want to burn myself out!

Depends on how you play, but there are always different S. Links for Sun + edit: Strength as well as lesser taken ones such as Hanged Man, Moon, or Tower.

To be fair, I think it's a pretty decent chance. 3 out 5 in my limited experience trying to farm. I dunno how the alogrithm picks chests if there are more than one valid target after the 21st is opened, which was the case the two times I missed him, and had to reload.

Also, fighting a shadow after the 21st opening and hearing the rattle restarts the count as well, at least in my experience, though I've read others who've said it hasn't.

Depends on how you play, but there are always different S. Links for Sun + Moon as well as lesser taken ones such as Hanged Man or Tower.

Got him on my second try, so the rate isn't that low based on our combined experiences.

And holy shit was I way overleveled at 84. Dude doesn't fuck around with hama/mudo or elemental weaknesses (cost me two homunculi), but what a chump.

edit: Holy shit at the weapon he drops. It is like cheating. But since I can't carry into new game + I won't bother farming him.

Bring the bug catching boy a soda that he requests and he'll give you a bug. Bring the bug to the woman at the Shiroku store at night. You'll recieve the fishing hook to give to the old man by the river. To get the net, talk to the boy until he complains about missing his net and then visit the shrine at night.

Thanks!

I thought I'd try something different and use Kanji in place of Chie as the physical damage dealer. Kanji is kind of unimpressive so far at level 45.

What is he good at exactly and is he a viable substitute to Chie?

Metroidvania

And holy shit was I way overleveled at 84. Dude doesn't fuck around with hama/mudo or elemental weaknesses (cost me two homunculi), but what a chump.

Think I got him first time at 70 something. Yeah, he's like the only boss to specifically target party member's weaknesses consistently. However, Repel/Absorb All Metatron is even easier to make now, lol. If need be you could just let all your party members die and just Rush him to death in the first dungeon of Playthrough 2.

Thanks!

I thought I'd try something different and use Kanji in place of Chie as the physical damage dealer. Kanji is kind of unimpressive so far at level 45.

Kanji's kind of an inbetween of Magic + Physical who leans more on the physical side as well as the only non Protag lightning user. Chie is all about doing crazy physical damage later in the game, I don't even think she learns 3rd tier ice skills without getting her s.link near-maxed.

In other news, I think the hands almost break this game for how easy they are to kill once you have any almighty skill and how often they appear. They are a huge part of how I was waaay overlevelled in 1st playthrough.

Thanks!

Kanji is great in P4G, but depending on your setup it could be more situational than not. Most of his biggest hitting moves are single target and "down" conditional IIRC. I think that the best thing about Kanji is that with bike trips you can make him a healer sort of character.

IMO, Chie outweighs him because Apt Pupil/Rebel/Revo make a significant difference in the critical chance of Black Spot and Rainy Death. These two moves have some of the highest base crit chance in the game. Chie's Galactic Punt is really good, but YMMV as some people may only see it proc like 10 times during a whole game and others see it 30 times.

Also, you want max Chie's AGI and LUC - Reisin Brace and Jet Boots are a good start if you want to land those multihits and see crits even more. Awww, I'm so biased, she's a fucking beast :D

Holy shit. Power Castles fucking hide apparently. And I need 8 drops. And they aren't 100% drops. This is the only quest that has really sucked so far.

kewlmyc

Does Aiya's daughter ever show up in the game? I know she does in the anime, but I'm getting tired of him constantly saying that I just missed her.

Also, I've think I've reached the point of no return.
mail

Noi

Thanks!

Nothing will be more impressive than Galactic Punt.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Kanji is great in P4G, but depending on your setup it could be more situational than not. Most of his biggest hitting moves are single target and "down" conditional IIRC. I think that the best thing about Kanji is that with bike trips you can make him a healer sort of character.

IMO, Chie outweighs him because Apt Pupil/Rebel/Revo make a significant difference in the critical chance of Black Spot and Rainy Death. These two moves have some of the highest base crit chance in the game. Chie's Galactic Punt is really good, but YMMV as some people may only see it proc like 10 times during a whole game and others see it 30 times.

Also, you want max Chie's AGI and LUC - Reisin Brace and Jet Boots are a good start if you want to land those multihits and see crits even more. Awww, I'm so biased, she's a fucking beast :D

God's Hand.

Chie Wins.

Flawless Victoly.

How come they have Persona 1 and Persona 3 and 4 in the TV Listings thing, yet no Persona 2....but they have the Featherman outfits, which is a way bigger reference than than some dumb trailer.

kewlmyc

She's good, but I just got done with the
Mituso
boss, and her Black Spot missed 3/4 times, even with Sukujuka.

Top Bottom