• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Meier

I haven't used Kanji, Teddie or now Naoto (haven't been back inside since she joined the party) a single time yet.. just sticking with the original 4.

It wouldn't be surprising at all if it did, given how well P4G sold.
So few people know it's a semi-sequel to both P4 and P3 with a pretty extensive story mode. I wonder how well it would do without an aggressive marketing campaign spending less time on the fighting game aspect.

Hell, I wonder how many people who finish P4G and have a PS3/360 would even think to get it now.

So few people know it's a semi-sequel to both P4 and P3 with a pretty extensive story mode. I wonder how well it would do without an aggressive marketing campaign spending less time on the fighting game aspect.

Hell, I wonder how many people who finish P4G and have a PS3/360 would even think to get it now.

i've got a copy coming today :D

Dantis

I really think pushing the story mode heavily would be a mistake.

Wow...

(somewhat spoiler-ish)

Whoever designed Void Quest should be drawn and quartered. Not a fan of games violating their own rules - why the FREAKING HELL can't I "Go to previous floor" after finding out I need that damn key? I have to go down and then back up again and fight the same enemies again? What the hell?

This game's really getting on my nerves. These dungeons, man...

i actually ran in to that exact same problem last night. but i really like that dungeon, so i didn't mind

Tiu Neo

I haven't used Kanji, Teddie or now Naoto (haven't been back inside since she joined the party) a single time yet.. just sticking with the original 4.

I did that, until I got Naoto. Then switched her with Yosuke.

I got P4A AND P3P after playing this game :D

i actually ran in to that exact same problem last night. but i really like that dungeon, so i didn't mind
The boss battles are always really satisfying. That (and the creative dungeon environments) make slogging through them worthwhile.

I can't go back to boring deserts or caves after freaking
saunas and strip clubs!

This game's basically ruined all other RPGs for me.

kuroshiki

The boss battles are always really satisfying. That (and the creative dungeon environments) make slogging through them worthwhile.

saunas and strip clubs!

Tell me about it. Atlus is new square for me.

Trigger

saunas and strip clubs!

The dungeons really are so creative. I hope they don't fall behind in that department come P5.

skarabrae

Banned
I'm in
Kanji's dungeon
right now and working on getting the Fox SL maxed out. A couple of things I noticed is that I need Courage upped to some degree and fishing so that I can get the Goldfish later on :/ With that said, still enjoying the game. It's June now, and I'm hoping I can get that Fox SL maxed soon.

I actually thought this when I reviewed the original game back in 2008/2009 on some old site I used to run and it amazes me that the game holds up really well. I think the setting, the depiction of said setting, and the interesting and colorful (literally, and figuratively) cast of characters is what really stuck with me. And this is coming from someone who refused to buy P4G until it got cheaper, then all of a sudden picks it up, and falls in love with it all over again.

I really think pushing the story mode heavily would be a mistake.
If they can have an internal Manhattan Project to figure out how to avoid fighting the same last boss 12 times, I'd argue it's a pretty nice nice piece of fan service.

Would have benefited from dropping all pretense of having each storymode potentially be canon in its own fiction, and make them all as ridiculously awesome like Kanji's.

Dantis

saunas and strip clubs!

Welcome to my world. :(

If an RPG isn't MegaTen, generally I'm not interested.

Salaadin

I feel very protective of Nanako. Shes such a nice little girl who has had some real shitty things happen to her.
Later game spoilers:
When she was kidnapped. Oh my god. Oh my fucking god. I never felt the need to rush a dungeon so much.
I got to the top and that boss destroyed me with his stupid Quad Converge move. So stupid.

I left and fused some persona that looks like a cross between a power ranger and a fighter jet and then got him. I was happy to get her out of there safely. Poor girl.

I feel very protective of Nanako. Shes such a nice little girl who has had some real shitty things happen to her.
Later game spoilers:
When she was kidnapped. Oh my god. Oh my fucking god. I never felt the need to rush a dungeon so much.
I got to the top and that boss destroyed me with his stupid Quad Converge move. So stupid.

I left and fused some persona that looks like a cross between a power ranger and a fighter jet and then got him. I was happy to get her out of there safely. Poor girl.

Which is why Yu is said to have developed a sister complex in P4A

Trigger

Later game spoilers:

lol, I couldn't imagine Yu just waiting until the deadline is near to rescue her. I always one day that dungeon.

Welcome to my world. :(

If an RPG isn't MegaTen, generally I'm not interested.
I've only played Persona 3 and (currently playing through) 4. The other MegaTen don't have art styles as appealing, but if their gameplay is as deep and addicting as P4's, then my backlog just exploded...

Noi

Semi-stuck in the bathhouse. Only have one Goho-M left and I'm on floor 7 BEFORE I fight the mid-boss there, so I'm trying to beat it and reach the top floor before using it and saving. Mid-boss is a chump, but I inadvertently get OHKO'd by the first regular pass enemy I run into whose fight I didn't get Player Advantage in. Usual suspects: Mazio or Mabufu on the whole party. I never asked for this. D:

Golbez

Later game spoilers:

The best thing about this is that it's a Justice Persona you fused.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Holy shit. You're right. Melchizedek.

I just learned that I can't progress nanakos SL after this. I'm sad. She was one that I was currently focusing on

You'll have a chance later on, as long as you maxed out Marie's SL

Noi

I will never understand how fusion works sometimes.

Triple fusion: Lv9 Angel, Lv6 Nata Taishi, Lv 6 Izanagi = Level 59 Anubis. Not that I can fuse him at level 13, haha.

Lusankya

I will never understand how fusion works sometimes.

Triple fusion: Lv9 Angel, Lv6 Nata Taishi, Lv 6 Izanagi = Level 59 Anubis. Not that I can fuse him at level 13, haha.

These three arcanas result in Judgement, and Anubis is the lowest Judgment persona.

Uthred

Maybe they should try and get the game out in Europe before they bother with another platform

Naoto 2.0 is so much better than Yosuke in my opinion. I originally had the same idea, but eventually switched him out once I discovered just how much they tweaked Naoto who's no longer just a megidolan spammer. Mind charge + -dyne spells, along with tetrakarn and matrakarn? Win.

Dantis

The January stuff is so, so great. I wish all the new parts of Golden were like this.

Also,
I spent time with Naoto on New Year's this time around. Sooo boring. Rise is much better.

The January stuff is so, so great. I wish all the new parts of Golden were like this.

Also,
I spent time with Naoto on New Year's this time around. Sooo boring. Rise is much better.

The winter arc really adds a lot to the game imo. Makes me excited to see what they have in store for P5...once it's announced.

Squire

Banned
So I'm in January myself. Just
finished the final exams
and I'm basically pacing myself and dragging out these last few months. Totally agree with the "Atlus is the new Square" posts. This game has both ruined JRPGs for me and revived my faith in the genre. I'm honestly worried about playing any game after P4 - I know it won't measure up.

Dantis

So I'm in January myself. Just
finished the final exams
and I'm basically pacing myself and dragging out these last few months. Totally agree with the "Atlus is the new Square" posts. This game has both ruined JRPGs for me and revived my faith in the genre. I'm honestly worried about playing any game after P4 - I know it won't measure up.

High five, pal.

I might have asked you this before (I forget who I have asked), but have you played Persona 3? Because either FES or Portable is definitely worth playing if you haven't.

Lombax

Banned
Sorry I just have to rant for a moment.
This afternoon I was able to track down a Gamestop that had the premium edition in stock. I called the store prior to heading over and asked "do you still have it in stock" , the clerk replied "yes".
I get to the store ask about picking up the premium edition and he says. "We do have it but i am not allowed to sell it yet because it is on hold for a pre-order customer" my response was "its been what? 3 weeks?" no sale.

Fucking Gamestop.

Squire

Banned
High five, pal.

I might have asked you this before (I forget who I have asked), but have you played Persona 3? Because either FES or Portable is definitely worth playing if you haven't.

I have P3P and played some of that prior to P4G. I couldn't get into it, honestly, but after P4G, I'm definitely considering trying again. It's the least I can do.

Also, about maxing the S. Links:
The ultimate conclusions in January are so wonderful and heartfelt. I remember not even liking Yosuke, Rise, and Naoto that much when I first met them, but I've done a complete 180 over the course of the game and their arcs. I love EVERYONE. So much!

Dantis

I have P3P and played some of that prior to P4G. I couldn't get into it, honestly, but after P4G, I'm definitely considering trying again. It's the least I can do.

Also, about maxing the S. Links:
The ultimate conclusions in January are so wonderful and heartfelt. I remember not even liking Yosuke, Rise, and Naoto that much when I first met them, but I've done a complete 180 over the course of the game and their arcs. I love EVERYONE. So much!

Yup. Easily my favourite cast in any game ever.

Give P3 another try. It's really great once you get into it.

Sorry I just have to rant for a moment.
This afternoon I was able to track down a Gamestop that had the premium edition in stock. I called the store prior to heading over and asked "do you still have it in stock" , the clerk replied "yes".
I get to the store ask about picking up the premium edition and he says. "We do have it but i am not allowed to sell it yet because it is on hold for a pre-order customer" my response was "its been what? 3 weeks?" no sale.

Fucking Gamestop.

Gonna chime in and say that we did this often at my old store, especially for our regulars. If they didn't call back by the end of the 2nd/3rd week, we would then sell it. For things like this and due to the holidays themselves, it's not always easy to get a hold of the customer, so we end up giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Gonna chime in and say that we did this often at my old store, especially for our regulars. If they didn't call back by the end of the 2nd/3rd week, we would then sell it. For things like this and due to the holidays themselves, it's not always easy to get a hold of the customer, so we end up giving them the benefit of the doubt.

As another former GameStop employee, I personally used to sell everything if the customer didn't pick it up within a week. I guess it really just depends on your luck of the draw when it comes to pre-orders. Some will sell, some won't.

Lombax

Banned
As another former GameStop employee, I personally used to sell everything if the customer didn't pick it up within a week. I guess it really just depends on your luck of the draw when it comes to pre-orders. Some will sell, some won't.

in either instance I just wish the guy would have told me over the phone he could not sell it.

Dantis

Hey, can someone post the music for Chagall Cafe? I love it. Hell, I love the whole OST, to be completely honest.

Hilariously, to my knowledge, this track is the only one which isn't on the soundtrack (Along with the instrumental version of Someone Else's Husband that plays in the item shop at night).

You chose the wrong song to enjoy. :p

Already played it for 20hours with a full schedule.

It's really an amazing job of updating the game, and it's fantastic how it aged very well. It's like I played it for the first time. I really love all the things they added in it.

Squire

Banned
Hilariously, to my knowledge, this track is the only one which isn't on the soundtrack (Along with the instrumental version of Someone Else's Husband that plays in the item shop at night).

You chose the wrong song to enjoy. :p

Haha, right? Terrible luck there. Half the reason I go is because the music is so nice!

They'll be in the booklet for the CD, but unfortunately it's the only one I don't have. You should be able to work out most of them though, I guess?

Yeah, but I can't understand what she says in here-
"It's a war out there everyday,
You can't hide from it
You gotta
???
face of it when you say history"

Later game spoilers:

I wish she would have died. It would have redeemed the game for me.

Top Bottom