• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Fighting (NG+ Boss)
Margaret. Got her down to half hp only to have her do a 9999 megidoloan on party and diarahan herself? Damn it. I'm still in the fight though, but its annoying that we're both pretty much at a stalemate. She's only using physical attacks, but her persona resists everything and my megidoloan isn't doing much damage either. This will take awhile...

Hopefully I can hold out.

Edit: Eh, another 9999 megidoloan and this one managed to kill me. Does she use it randomly after the halfway point? If I prepare it right, I'm sure I can probably survive through four of those. Hopefully, she doesn't use anymore than that.

Meier

I am maxed with Yukiko, Chie, Marie and working towards Rise (she is around 5ish? I don't see her during the day much.. shame the night time visits and trips to the hot springs don't ever actually progress you a level up). Naoto I actually haven't even unlocked Level 1 yet.. tried to talk to her at school but was told I needed to do some sort of an event first. It's possible I just need to progress further though.

Based on this thread though, it sounds like you can only actually be "intimate" in the physical sense with just 1 of them? Does it happen on Valentine's Day? I just finished October so I am a ways away yet.

Necrovex

Dantis, I finally did it. I finally completed Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Mediocre gameplay, but it had an awesome story and some groovy characters.

I'm going to play through Persona 3 Portable after I finish Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon...as long I can resist myself from playing P4G. Shit, this is going to be hard.

I am maxed with Yukiko, Chie, Marie and working towards Rise. Naoto I actually haven't even unlocked Level 1 yet.. tried to talk to her at school but was told I needed to do some sort of an event first. It's possible I just need to progress further though.

You'll need max knowledge and courage to start her SLink. Not sure whether or not you were aware of this.

Meier

You'll need max knowledge and courage to start her SLink. Not sure whether or not you were aware of this.

Nope, haven't read any guides or anything. I am max at everything but Understanding which is being a bugger and remains at 4 (or 5? whatever one step down is). I guess I should try and talk to her again.

Dantis

Dantis, I finally did it. I finally completed Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Mediocre gameplay, but it had an awesome story and some groovy characters.

I'm going to play through Persona 3 Portable after I finish Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon...as long I can resist myself from playing P4G. Shit, this is going to be hard.

Excellent! :D

Satisfied with the ending? Would you agree that it's a satisfying conclusion?

Nope, haven't read any guides or anything. I am max at everything but Understanding which is being a bugger and remains at 4 (or 5? whatever one step down is). I guess I should try and talk to her again.

I'll be blunt but still mysterious about this hint:
Shopping District North

well, i've reached the 'true ending' dungeon, & my thoughts at this point:

1) i still like p3 more than p4. for me, better story, better part characters, better s-links, better music...
2) despite the very cool tv features ('everyone loves jungian philosophy!'), the new fusion/compendium mechanics, & the extra time available to max s-links, i think that, over-all, p4 just plain worked better for me than p4g (& i'm saying this as someone who had as much fun with p3p as p3 :) )...

if there's such a thing as 'too much of a good thing', p4g's a great example. neither the animes, nor the whole marie package (dungeon included), really did anything for me, other than turn me off & wear me down. while the core game itself is every bit as amazing as i remember it, i feel these additional in-game 'features' did more to harm the original tone & pace than improve it: the former took sweet/low-key & turned it into 'cheesy', & the latter felt very uninspired &, in the case of the dungeon, tremendously anti-climactic (particularly given the unlikable nature of person you were 'rescuing'). i can appreciate why they kinda had to stick it in where they did, but it only made it feel all the more 'tacked on'...

so, yeah, i've really enjoyed myself, & i still love junes, but, nice as the whole package is, i think the simple charm of the original ended up getting a little lost in the shuffle :) ...

It's been asked, but: Is P4A good? PS3 or 360? It's on sale @amazon dot com

I just started the story in that today and LOVE it. So if you like the characters and want to play a visual novel yes. Doesn't seem like theres much of a community built up for the actual fighting part of it.

Necrovex

Excellent! :D

Satisfied with the ending? Would you agree that it's a satisfying conclusion?

I was like "What's going on here?!" near the end. But overall, I was satisfied with the conclusion, though I wanted to see where it went from there. Some bombshells were dropped during the very end,
like when I punched Philemon, and it revealed Philemon was Tatsuya.

For the characters, the ending was open-ended, but it was pretty good. Does Eternal Punishment follow the events right afterwards?

The game didn't seem *extremely* dark either, though it did enter somewhat messed up areas at time.

Trigger

Huh? Fishing is pretty easy.

It's about as easy as fishing for girlfriends. =3

I have shitty luck. Lots of tuna and fucking bus stop signs.
r4CiE.png

I have shitty luck. Lots of tuna and fucking bus stop signs.
r4CiE.png

Oh, the old dude tells you a secret. Of course it has to be raining, but look at the ripple.

If the ripple is not making a crazy splash, it's not the guardian. It needs to splash, and not just a ripple. Just take the bait back and recast. It won't use up an attempt.

Levito

Banned

I actually just started playing it, the story mode seems pretty weak IMO. The fighting mechanics are outstanding though, and it's a gorgeous game.

If you are a Persona fan, you'll probably love it.

1) i still like p3 more than p4. for me, better story, better part characters, better s-links, better music...
2) despite the very cool tv features ('everyone loves jungian philosophy!'), the new fusion/compendium mechanics, & the extra time available to max s-links, i think that, over-all, p4 just plain worked better for me than p4g (& i'm saying this as someone who had as much fun with p3p as p3 :) )...

if there's such a thing as 'too much of a good thing', p4g's a great example. neither the animes, nor the whole marie package (dungeon included), really did anything for me, other than turn me off & wear me down. while the core game itself is every bit as amazing as i remember it, i feel these additional in-game 'features' did more to harm the original tone & pace than improve it: the former took sweet/low-key & turned it into 'cheesy', & the latter felt very uninspired &, in the case of the dungeon, tremendously anti-climactic (particularly given the unlikable nature of person you were 'rescuing'). i can appreciate why they kinda had to stick it in where they did, but it only made it feel all the more 'tacked on'...

so, yeah, i've really enjoyed myself, & i still love junes, but, nice as the whole package is, i think the simple charm of the original ended up getting a little lost in the shuffle :) ...

Maybe it's because you're burnt out on it, because I completely disagree with P4 having better characters or social links. I just finished playing P3P to scratch the P4G itch without having to get a Vita and I hated almost all the social links and my party.

Dantis

I hated the story mode (And that's al I've seen of it). It's heavy on fan service dialogue and weak on plot. It's also pretty much completely lacking in the heart that Persona has. Apparently the gameplay is good though.

Oh, also, don't think of it as a sequel, think of it as a side story. Seriously.

Sera O

Banned
My favourite part of Valentine's since some people are posting about it...

http://i.imgur.com/P5GmH.jpg

That Yukiko act was sooooo funny. It really got me at that last part with the stare of death.

Hilarious.
*dumps the bag on the table* "Take the chocolate that's labeled with your name and go home. You're gonna eat it and fucking like it. I quit." *flees*

Also laughed when Marie was talking about how "If it melts, it'll run away." Like. . . these girls do not have a great understanding of the line between food / not-food. And they are ruining Nanako with her fishy slime chocolate. It's make big bro sick day!

Astral

Has anyone broken any hearts yet on Valentine's? How bad is it? Both Chie and Yukiko are about to propose to me and I can't say no.

kuroshiki

I 100% disagree. P4 is better than P3 and P4G is epitome of persona series to me.

kuroshiki

Oh, the old dude tells you a secret. Of course it has to be raining, but look at the ripple.

If the ripple is not making a crazy splash, it's not the guardian. It needs to splash, and not just a ripple. Just take the bait back and recast. It won't use up an attempt.

whoa. explain this again, please. What do you mean ripple? So just draw it and watch it and it ripples big, then wait until something bites?

Jintor

You don't even break their hearts. They say that they still love you and trust you, the fools.

So does the new ending
allow you to reveal that you've been faking your amazing personality the whole time and are secretly the most evil evil to ever evil the evil?

kewlmyc

P2 is the most game, P4A is fine, P4 is great but not the epitome of Persona, P3 is poop. P1 is a thing.

What's wrong with P3? It was my favorite of the 3 I've played.

So does the new ending
allow you to reveal that you've been faking your amazing personality the whole time and are secretly the most evil evil to ever evil the evil?

Nope, friendship and rainbows forever.

Maybe it's because you're burnt out on it, because I completely disagree with P4 having better characters or social links. I just finished playing P3P to scratch the P4G itch without having to get a Vita and I hated almost all the social links and my party.

I 100% disagree. P4 is better than P3 and P4G is epitome of persona series to me.

well, i know a whole lotta people might disagree :) . but, no, it's not 'burnout' - maybe it has to do with it being my first 'new-wave persona' experience, but p3 (in particular its music, darker tone & it's non-party s-links) just felt like a richer experience...

& afa p4 vs p4g, yeah, i'm sure even more people disagree. i mean, hell, if i could anything whatsoever likable about marie, i might, too :) ...

You don't even break their hearts. They say that they still love you and trust you, the fools.

I believe in old school mormonism.

Anyways, Valentine's Day is here. Get your popcorn ready!

As for the other conversation, I probably like the scale and story of P3 and FES better (and that ending), but P4 overall and especially with its characters. And Golden is just a better version. Although I did get that scene that everyone was talking about, and it was worse than I expected it to be. I don't think it is super horrible game ruining, character ruining or anything. Mostly just dumb.

Dantis

And I'm finished.

That's two playthroughs of P4, one of P4G in Japanese, and one in P4G US.

My feelings are unchanged, which is a good thing. Persona 4 is still easily one of my favourite games of all time. In terms of Japanese games, I just find it unmatched.

The ending is still the greatest, most complete ending in a videogame, the cast is still the best there is etc. etc. I just love almost everything about it.

I still find most of the original Golden content mostly insubstantial, but giving it thought now, I would consider P4G the superior version. I still think the new dungeon feels like filler and a drag at the end of the game (And Marie is still a complete waste of time), but the January events and the epilogue are really great additions.

Also, it was interesting reading the credits at the end (In English, so I actually knew what they said). As I had suspected, the new content wasn't made by the Persona team. The writer of the new scenario was Kobayashi, the same as Arena. I guess that explains why the new stuff isn't up to par.

Also, I noticed some inconsistencies with Arena in the epilogue. I'm quite curious which they'll consider canon if either is mentioned in a future installment.

Finally, I think if they ever make a proper sequel (Not a spinoff, like Arena), I want the proper team to make it. There's no other way they could do it justice. It's too close to perfect.

Even less than P1? You're the first person I've heard of that likes that game more than P3. Some people I talk to act like P1 doesn't even exist.

There are many, many different types of Megaten fans out there ya know. There are those who hate Persona's guts, those who like all of em, those who like some, those who like Persona 1/2 and hate 3/4, those who like 3/4 and hate 1/2, those who love p4 and hate 1/2/3, those who like 3 and hate 1/2/4. It is a big melting pot. I like most of them.

Dantis you seem very keen on hoping that Arena is not canon, like many people were hoping for The Answer.

jae

I was coming into the topic to post something just like this. I decided to play P3 after falling in love with 4. I just finished the 1st semester. If I can't stand any of the party members or any of the social link characters now, should I expect that to change? Having a hard time motivating myself.

Might just go play P4G again. Still need the book trophy.

Dantis

I was like "What's going on here?!" near the end. But overall, I was satisfied with the conclusion, though I wanted to see where it went from there. Some bombshells were dropped during the very end,
like when I punched Philemon, and it revealed Philemon was Tatsuya.

For the characters, the ending was open-ended, but it was pretty good. Does Eternal Punishment follow the events right afterwards?

The game didn't seem *extremely* dark either, though it did enter somewhat messed up areas at time.

Yeah, people drastically exaggerate how dark P2 is. Some bits are really silly, even.

The Philemon thing isn't a bombshell, assuming it means what I think it means

Great game. Not so great gameplay. Hopefully P3P will impress you more. :p

Varna

I don't really understand the hate for Persona 1. It's clunky and slow... but so was just about every JRPG at the time. It also established a lot of great stuff for Persona 2.

The PSP version definitely fixes up a lot of problems and ends up playing a whole lot better then the PSP version of Innocent Sin.

For me it will always be a special game. Up until that point I never even considered a RPG taking place in the modern era. It pretty much blew my mind at the time even with the ridiculous localization and cut content (which I wouldn't even know about until years later).

I would rank em P2:EP > P3:FES (minus the shitty answers story) > P4G > P1

Top Bottom