• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Sera O

Banned
whoa. explain this again, please. What do you mean ripple? So just draw it and watch it and it ripples big, then wait until something bites?

After you cast, you can tell by the second tug whether it's a guardian or not. If either of the guardians is checking your bait, there will be a lot of ripples, and spray coming up off the water every time it ripples. If you don't see the spray, it's a different fish and you can abort so you're not wasting your time - just hit O to pull your bait back before it bites. It won't count that as one of your allotted attempts and it'll save your bait.

Also, I noticed some inconsistencies with Arena in the epilogue. I'm quite curious which they'll consider canon if either is mentioned in a future installment.
Unless it's too spoilerific for this thread, can you go into this a little? I haven't quite made it to the new epilogue on my play-through but I'm pretty curious.

It's fascinating for this to be the case with Kobayashi being responsible for both, as you mentioned.

Edit: I hope the inconsistency you mentioned can be explained by one of the bad endings in P4A being canon, specifically the one where
Yukiko kills everyone with her cooking

Trigger

Unless it's too spoilerific for this thread, can you go into this a little? I haven't quite made it to the new epilogue on my play-through but I'm pretty curious.

It's fascinating for this to be the case with Kobayashi being responsible for both, as you mentioned.

I'm not sure what he's referring to, but for me:
It's interesting that everyone still looks the same in Arena given the epilogue shows them looking pretty different (Chie growing her hair out, Yosuke cutting his hair, etc)

I'm not sure what he's referring to, but for me:
It's interesting that everyone still looks the same in Arena given the epilogue shows them looking pretty different (Chie growing her hair out, Yosuke cutting his hair, etc)
Doesn't Arena take place
two months later
, and the epilogue
six months
later?

Dantis

Doesn't Arena take place
two months later
, and the epilogue
six months
later?

Interesting fact about the epilogue time-frame:

Originally, when I played through it, I told everyone it took place in July. I was wrong. It goes past July. BUT, it stays in 2012. Namatame refers to the murders as happening 'last year', so whilst it's August at the earliest, we can definitely say that only a few months have passed.

For reference, Arena takes place in May.

Dantis

Aren't they referring to Arena when they talk about
"all that craziness when you visited in May"
?

Yeah, they are. But it's insane that that's the only mention it gets.

I really question how canonical Arena is considered. I'm aware that there was an article where Hashino said "We're making a full canonical Persona 4 sequel", but I'm not sure I believe he actually meant it.

Yeah, they are. But it's insane that that's the only mention it gets.

I really question how canonical Arena is considered. I'm aware that there was an article where Hashino said "We're making a full canonical Persona 4 sequel", but I'm not sure I believe he actually meant it.

Dude, you really want Arena to not be canon.

Hopefully by that he just meant Persona 5 and there's a Risette poster in the background to imply it's in the same universe.

GUUH at those timelines though. Do you think it's purposefully ambiguous?

Also I know that P4A came out first, but is it possible that Arena's only referenced offhandedly as
"last may"
because Kobayashi's team finalized the script for this before fleshing out Arena? And/or if P4A gets a sequel, that's their way of marginalizing those events into that same general time period?

Dantis

Dude, you really want Arena to not be canon.

Absolutely, but my points still hold weight.

Hopefully by that he just meant Persona 5 and there's a Risette poster in the background to imply it's in the same universe.

GUUH at those timelines though. Do you think it's purposefully ambiguous?

Also I know that P4A came out first, but is it possible that Arena's only referenced offhandedly as
"last may"
because Kobayashi's team finalized the script for this before fleshing out Arena? And/or if P4A gets a sequel, that's their way of marginalizing those events into that same general time period?

I do think it's deliberately ambiguous. Kind of a "Some time later" kinda thing.

And maybe they just wanted to keep the spinoffs seperate? Hashino had no part in Arena, so maybe he just didn't want to be tied down by its cliffhangers, and said they could only have a sly nod towards it.

Absolutely, but my points still hold weight.

Well sir, I may not agree with your opinion, I shall defend to the death your right to say it. Really thought, as much as I DO want to have those old p2/3/4 references in p5, it really only matters if P5 actually follows this up. If P5 is its own thing, none of it really matters hah.

"last may"

Well, Golden actually came out a month before Arena on consoles in Japan, which had the fleshed out story that the arcade version didn't, so I'd assume it was just because they didn't want to spoil the story of a game that hadn't come out yet.

Squire

Banned
On that final dungeon now. Is there some sort of Japanese folk lore connection between
Izanagi and Izanami
? The names are so similar...

Omikaru

Man, I don't know how some of you guys find the time for this. I haven't played in over 10 days since life has caught up to me. I'm hoping to get back into it this weekend, but I said that last weekend. :/

Varna

Doesn't that whole story have a big connection to the original Megam Tensei series?

I'm very curious why they decided to use it again in this game (since it's always been more of a mainline SMT thing). Then again I haven't finished the game yet.

On that final dungeon now. Is there some sort of Japanese folk lore connection between
Izanagi and Izanami

Husband and wife, gods that created Japan. Izanami dies and goes to Yomi. Izanagi goes to rescue his wife, only to find that she is now decomposed and a rotting devil basically. They fight in Yomotsu Hirasaka where Izanami declares that if he left her she would kill 1000 people, to which Izanagi replied that he would then give life to 1500 people in return.

Trigger

Man, I don't know how some of you guys find the time for this. I haven't played in over 10 days since life has caught up to me. I'm hoping to get back into it this weekend, but I said that last weekend. :/

No more class. I'm on winter vacation until January!! :D

Doesn't that whole story have a big connection to the original Megam Tensei series?

How so? It seemed out of left field to me.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I have no life. :|

That and I have the luxury of being able to play at work. I'm alone, no supervisors, but it's the weekend.

No more class. I'm on winter vacation until January!! :D

How so? It seemed out of left field to me.

Izanami IS the Megami Tensei. She is the one the series is named after. Shin Megami Tensei means True Ressurection of the Goddess. Megami Tensei was about Loki tryin to do some evil things and Izanami ressurects and stuff. and things.

Also, if you notice, most Megaten games involve a woman as an important character/plotpoint. That would be that games "goddess." It just so happens that this game's "goddess" is the one who started it all.

Sophia

Also, if you notice, most Megaten games involve a woman as an important character/plotpoint. That would be that games "goddess." It just so happens that this game's "goddess" is the one who started it all.

For what it's worth, the original Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei book is a bit different from the game, and both are even more different from Persona 4 despite using the same mythos. Akemi Nakajima was quite the jerk in the original novel. >_>;

For what it's worth, the original Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei book is a bit different from the game. Akemi Nakajima was quite the jerk in the original novel. >_>;

A hilarious jerk. If you have seen the OVA, the games were based off of that, not the novel, but hes still a jerk there. Strange how this great series got its start from a novel/ova about loki goo rape and the greatest synth music of all time.

Sophia

It is very weird to see Rie Kugimiya, Tsundere-extraordinaire, playing a character who can only be defined as an Anti-Tsundere. On that note, Rise is quickly growing on me as my favorite character of the Persona 4 cast.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It is very weird to see Rie Kugimiya, Tsundere-extraordinaire, playing a character who can only be defined as an Anti-Tsundere. On that note, Rise is quickly growing on me as my favorite character of the Persona 4 cast.

Rie Kugimiya.

I think Rise is based off her.

Any recommendation for a beast-mode physical persona after Rakshasa? I've gotten a lot of skill up cards so his stable of moves is a lot better than Kanji and Chie's

Also in need of a wind/healer persona if anyone has a clue on one around level 50

I ask too many questions in this thread...

Balphon

Any recommendation for a beast-mode physical persona after Rakshasa? I've gotten a lot of skill up cards so his stable of moves is a lot better than Kanji and Chie's

I remember using Hanuman for a long time on one playthrough.

Also in need of a wind/healer persona if anyone has a clue on one around level 50

Clotho + Hokuto Seikun = Kikuri-Hime

I think Kikuri-Hime can inherit Wind, and Clotho is a pretty good Wind persona (Wind Boost, Garudyne, Magarula).

Trigger

I caught it! I caught the sea guardian!

But I'll have to redo it whenever I do a third playthrough.
r4CiE.png

Izanagi and Izanami

Husband and wife, gods that created Japan. Izanami dies and goes to Yomi. Izanagi goes to rescue his wife, only to find that she is now decomposed and a rotting devil basically. They fight in Yomotsu Hirasaka where Izanami declares that if he left her she would kill 1000 people, to which Izanagi replied that he would then give life to 1500 people in return.
To add to this
Izanagi runs away from her and locks her in the cave. In Persona 4, the myth serves as a metaphor for the refusal to acknowledge complete truth. Izanagi refused to accept his wife's new form, and blocked himself off from seeing it. In turn Izanami was left stuck in the darkness, eventually assuming that the "truth" of the matter was that people suck and are jerks and were all shadows at heart. Two halves of creation refuse to acknowledge each other, acting as an Original Sin of sorts for the game to build upon.

Trigger

To add to this
Izanagi runs away from her and locks her in the cave. In Persona 4, the myth serves as a metaphor for the refusal to acknowledge complete truth. Izanagi refused to accept his wife's new form, and blocked himself off from seeing it. In turn Izanami was left stuck in the darkness, eventually assuming that the "truth" of the matter was that people suck and are jerks and were all shadows at heart. Two halves of creation refuse to acknowledge each other, acting as an Original Sin of sorts for the game to build upon.

Wow, that's deep. I never thought of it that way.

Necrovex

Yeah, people drastically exaggerate how dark P2 is. Some bits are really silly, even.

The Philemon thing isn't a bombshell, assuming it means what I think it means

Great game. Not so great gameplay. Hopefully P3P will impress you more. :p

I was quite surprised by the twist. Maybe not a bombshell, but certainly surprising (for me anyway). Persona 2 had a lot of silly scenes, which I all loved. I simply wish the game allowed me to scroll through the text. I hit the X button way too quickly at times and skipped dialogue.

I'll certainly like P3P more, I loved Persona 3 when it first came out (and I HATED the tired system which I hear is mostly fixed up in this version). It'll be nice to make a return to the game that made me love the franchise.

Venfayth

Rise is #1.

I don't just say this for shits n giggles people!

Top Bottom