• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Squire

Banned
I maintain it'll be announced in 2013 and now I'm holding out for March.

They'd be foolish to let this momentum drop.

I can totally understand why they're probably pacing themselves though. P4 seems to be popular in that FFVII way where the specific game has become a franchise within a franchise (that franchise being Persona, which is itself contained in SMT - another franchise!)

The bar has been set pretty high.

Tiu Neo

The engine is done. Pre-production is done. That's literally all we know. :p

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they hired a lot of new staff for Hashino's team to speed up the development process though, so that should compensate for the larger scale of the project.

Oh, then 2013 seems like a sensible date for the japanese release.

I can totally understand why they're probably pacing themselves though. P4 seems to be popular in that FFVII way where the specific game has become a franchise within a franchise (that franchise being Persona, which is itself contained in SMT - another franchise!)

I just hope Atlus handles the Persona 4 franchise better than Square Enix has handled the Final Fantasy VII franchise. Hate what they did with Cloud on everything that's not the main game.

Of course, if it's well handled, more Persona 4 is always welcome :p

Sophia

I just hope Atlus handles the Persona 4 franchise better than Square Enix has handled the Final Fantasy VII franchise. Hate what they did with Cloud on everything that's not the main game.

Of course, if it's well handled, more Persona 4 is always welcome :p

Unless you're Dantis, then I'd say they've handled it pretty well so far. Golden was a fantastic update, and Arena's one of the best fighting games to come out in awhile.

I do think it's reasonable not to see Persona 5 until after Shin Megami Tensei IV's release tho. Definitely going to be 2013, just a matter of when...

Tiu Neo

Unless you're Dantis, then I'd say they've handled it pretty well so far. Golden was a fantastic update, and Arena's one of the best fighting games to come out in awhile.

I do think it's reasonable not to see Persona 5 until after Shin Megami Tensei IV's release tho. Definitely going to be 2013, just a matter of when...

Haha, yeah. Golden, Arena and the Animation are awesome. If they continue that way, we have nothing to worry. My fear is, the bigger the series become, the harder it is to not break something, but seeing how they are handling it now, I trush they can expand Persona 4 while keeping it's quality.

Squire

Banned

I see Dantis' point if view. Square has handled FFVII poorly. They're just suffering from massive delusions and they're own hubris. The various P4 adaptions are good, from what I can tell. Atlus isn't letting anything certifiably shitty go out the door.

The thing about the anime and Arena and that stuff is: it leans into fan-service and the anime tropes in Persona 4. That's not a bad thing, but it's the stuff underneath that that makes the game so great.

You're quick to see someone mention Chie's love for meat, but discussions about how she feels obligated to take care of the people around her - possibly moreso than herself - are much less frequent. And that's sad, because that's more than I can say about most characters in video games. And I can come up with ten more examples from P4 like that, too.

Sophia

Wow, I expected more votes for this game, awesome soundtrack. Did my part.

I have a hard time voting for it knowing that it's a four year old game, and the vast majority of the soundtrack isn't new. Also, Kid Icarus. I did vote for Persona 4 Arena, however.

Tiu Neo

I see Dantis' point if view. Square has handled FFVII poorly. They're just suffering from massive delusions and they're own hubris. The various P4 adaptions are good, from what I can tell. Atlus isn't letting anything certifiably shitty go out the door.

The thing about the anime and Arena and that stuff is: it leans into fan-service and the anime tropes in Persona 4. That's not a bad thing, but it's the stuff underneath that that makes the game so great.

You're quick to see someone mention Chie's love for meat, but discussions about how she feels obligated to take care of the people around her - possibly moreso than herself - are much less frequent. And that's sad, because that's more than I can say about most characters in video games. And I can come up with ten more examples from P4 like that, too.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Luckly, Atlus seems to have a lot more of sense than Square Enix, and if the story goes forward (and I think it's more a question of when than if), they'll probably have to focus on those deeper character traits. Or at least that is what I hope. There's not much to develop of meat lover Chie, for example, but there's a lot to do with protector of the people Chie.

You expected more votes for a niche jrpg, let alone one on the vita?

Well, I expected at least SOME votes, haha. At least didn't see any at the first page, didn't see the rest.

I have a hard time voting for it knowing that it's a four year old game, and the vast majority of the soundtrack isn't new. Also, Kid Icarus. I did vote for Persona 4 Arena, however.

Persona 4 got its props in 08 man

Yah, was divided between this and Arena, to tell the truth. But I like this one's soundtrack a bit more. And yeah, I think it being a remake doesn't help too.

Dantis

Correct. d(^^d)

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Luckly, Atlus seems to have a lot more of sense than Square Enix, and if the story goes forward (and I think it's more a question of when than if), they'll probably have to focus on those deeper character traits. Or at least that is what I hope. There's not much to develop of meat lover Chie, for example, but there's a lot to do with protector of the people Chie.
Well, I expected at least SOME votes, haha. At least didn't see any at the first page, didn't see the rest.
Yah, was divided between this and Arena, to tell the truth. But I like this one's soundtrack a bit more. And yeah, I think it being a remake doesn't help too.
Are you so sure about that? Because Arena didn't develop shit, and Golden mentions meat way more than it should. :/

As far as the soundtrack goes, I feel like it should be judged on the new tracks, and outside of Shadow World, Snowflakes, Memory and Time To Make History, what is there? I can't imagine people listening to the Kitajoh tracks. I considered voting for Arena because of the few Meguro tracks on there, but I decided not to. I never listen to any of them outside of The Wandering Wolf, Spirited Girl and Best Friends.

FStop7

Banned
Would anyone recommend this game to someone who generally does not play jrpg?

I generally dislike jrpgs and P4G is awesome. It's the characters and the weird humor.

And also it's got reeally good turn based combat with a lot of nuance and complexity in managing personas and their abilities.

Tiu Neo

Correct. d(^^d)
Are you so sure about that? Because Arena didn't develop shit, and Golden mentions meat way more than it should. :/

I still have to play Arena's story mode, so I really can't say anything.

But really, if they want to take the story forward, I think they'll have to focus on the deeper character traits, sooner or later. That, or keep the series alive with shallow games... And if they do that, it's a hell of a missed opportunity, imo.

moogrose

Yes. Generally, I dislike JRPGs. MegaTen games are pretty much the only games in the entire genre that I care about.

I generally dislike jrpgs and P4G is awesome. It's the characters and the weird humor.

And also it's got reeally good turn based combat with a lot of nuance and complexity in managing personas and their abilities.

Thanks for the replies, sounds about right - think ill take the plunge.

EDIT: when it's out in the EU!

Sophia

Thanks for the replies, sounds about right - think ill take the plunge.

EDIT: when it's out in the EU!

You can import you know. The Vita's not region locked, and unless English isn't your first language, then there will not likely be differences. I think Persona 4's a fantastic JRPG for those who are turned off by the genre. Watch some videos of the early game if you're skeptical.

So I'm only like 7 hours in but I'm curious, should I have multiple saves going? If I miss a date or forget about fog for example, maybe get to a fog day and find out my team isn't strong enough or I'm low on materials,do I have to start the whole game over?

Sophia

So I'm only like 7 hours in but I'm curious, should I have multiple saves going? If I miss a date or forget about fog for example, maybe get to a fog day and find out my team isn't strong enough or I'm low on materials,do I have to start the whole game over?

As far as finishing the game goes, you don't really need to have multiple saves. It's not possible to trap yourself in that way. However the nature of social links, sidequests, and such means having multiple saves isn't a bad idea. I usually roll with two myself.

As far as finishing the game goes, you don't really need to have multiple saves. It's not possible to trap yourself in that way. However the nature of social links, sidequests, and such means having multiple saves isn't a bad idea. I usually roll with two myself.

Thanks since this is my first time playing I just wanted to enjoy it, no guides or do overs.

Curufinwe

Use all 16 slots. There's no reason not to.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Thank you, James Cameron.

Duffyside

Banned
I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the Reaper thing is. I've never fought him, as every time I hear those chains I run for it. Last time I heard him I had only been on that floor for like a minute -- I thought he was supposed to come if you were being a lookie-lou or something.

Really, why did they add him? I like making sure I explore every corner of a dungeon. Should I not worry about him and just fight him every time? I don't want to lose progress...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the Reaper thing is. I've never fought him, as every time I hear those chains I run for it. Last time I heard him I had only been on that floor for like a minute -- I thought he was supposed to come if you were being a lookie-lou or something.

Really, why did they add him? I like making sure I explore every corner of a dungeon. Should I not worry about him and just fight him every time? I don't want to lose progress...

Once you open 20 chests in total, the next chest you open with have him "appear". You then have to open a regular chest, not a golden one for a chance that he might appear. The game does warn you that he is hiding in the chest you are about to open, so no worries there, and no you shouldn't fight him until you are at least in your 80s. Once you hear the chains just go to the next floor, the counter will reset, so you can go back down and explore again, although the layout might be a little different.

Probably added him since he was missing from vanilla for some reason, in p3 he was coming out constantly if you stayed in the dungeon for too long.

moogrose

You can import you know. The Vita's not region locked, and unless English isn't your first language, then there will not likely be differences. I think Persona 4's a fantastic JRPG for those who are turned off by the genre. Watch some videos of the early game if you're skeptical.

Given the current backlog I have on the vita, it's best to wait... I just pre ordered it 5 minutes ago. Looking forward to my first jrpg since FF7!

Duffyside

Banned
Once you open 20 chests in total, the next chest you open with have him "appear". You then have to open a regular chest, not a golden one for a chance that he might appear. The game does warn you that he is hiding in the chest you are about to open, so no worries there, and no you shouldn't fight him until you are at least in your 80s.

Probably added him since he was missing from vanilla for some reason, in p3 he was coming out constantly if you stayed in the dungeon for too long.

So, can I just run to the next floor, then immediately come back down to avoid him?

Sophia

He's an optional boss. In original Persona 4 he only showed up on New Game Plus mode, but due to the changes done to New Game Plus, they needed him to show up regardless. Don't bother fighting him til you're at the end of the game.

So, can I just run to the next floor, then immediately come back down to avoid him?

Aye, that works.

I'm 45 hours into my Persona 3 FES playthrough (first time), and I plan on playing Persona 4 next (first time). I've had a copy of the game since release on PS2. I want to know if its worth playing through P4 if I don't have a Vita to play Golden. Buying a Vita is out of the question too at least until May. I have Persona fever right now so I'd really like to jump into P4 on PS2 next, but if the improvements in Golden are that substantial that its worth waiting 6 months to play then let me know.

Trigger

Go ahead and play. By the time you get Golden you'll be ready for a second playthrough and you can appreciate the improvements more.

Dantis

I'm 45 hours into my Persona 3 FES playthrough (first time), and I plan on playing Persona 4 next (first time). I've had a copy of the game since release on PS2. I want to know if its worth playing through P4 if I don't have a Vita to play Golden. Buying a Vita is out of the question too at least until May. I have Persona fever right now so I'd really like to jump into P4 on PS2 next, but if the improvements in Golden are that substantial that its worth waiting 6 months to play then let me know.

The improvements are not that substantial. The only parts which aren't essentially filler-ish are a new S Link event with each party member and a new epilogue that takes place six months later. Play the original now. It's just as amazing.

Necrovex

Ooh. Are you still waiting on P4G? Then ya, go play P3P! :) It will definitely tide you over.

I lent my friend my Vita, so he can play through Virtue's Last Reward. I have to wait for him to finish it before I can play this lovely gem...and P3P is on my Vita too. :'-(

Dantis

I lent my friend my Vita, so he can play through Virtue's Last Reward. I have to wait for him to finish it before I can play this lovely gem...and P3P is on my Vita too. :'-(

You're a better person than me. Nobody touches my Vita, and I definitely wouldn't lend it anybody.

Fusion search, being able to choose moves that new personas gain, arcana chance sweep, voice of the people, "you are about to become closer/you wont become closer", text display, faster load times, no floating shadows, etc all feel pretty gameplay substantial. I suppose they wouldnt to a new comer but for someone whos played p3 and p4 so many times, they are really helpful, and I dont think I would like a game to go without these. P4 is still playable though, heck my sister is playing through it for the first time.

So do you guys think Persona 5 is going to take some influence from Catherine, specifically in the narrative department ? I am wondering if the game will have proper cinematic cutscenes, like Catherine and Digital Devil Saga and other modern video games, in lieu of Persona's usual overhead camera shot showing everybody in the room talking and gesticulating. I really hope so. Coming from P4, Catherine was a breath of fresh air, what with the evolved cutscenes and the much-improved graphics. I really hope P5 goes there.

Ponn

Banned
You're a better person than me. Nobody touches my Vita, and I definitely wouldn't lend it anybody.

Ditto, i've seen other people's PSP's, and just cannot fathom what people do with their systems to cause so much damage. Especially since both of my seriel stickers have come off mine i'm stuck with mine till the end.

Necrovex

Ooh. Are you still waiting on P4G? Then ya, go play P3P! :) It will definitely tide you over.

Do we get to date him if we get it to level 10?

I've known the guy for years, and he takes care of his systems. Plus, he only lives a few houses away from me. We lend each other stuff all the time.

Dantis

Fusion search, being able to choose moves that new personas gain, arcana chance sweep, voice of the people, "you are about to become closer/you wont become closer", text display, faster load times, no floating shadows, etc all feel pretty gameplay substantial.

These are the definition of insubstantial. Text display? Faster load times? It's setting the bar pretty low if you consider those substantial.

Shadow Boss Two in the strip dungeon still has a massive amount of health, but in the end, it still fell like the rest!

For no reason, this popped into my head. Persona 2 Philemons Dickery! Featuring a female Tatsuya, a male Maya, bikini outfits! Tons of funny school festival and hot springs scenes! Wearable bikinis and cardboard boxes! Connects to P3 with appearances from Mitsuru and the Kirijos! Face off against your favorite persons 3 and 4 characters! New wearable hat!

Pls no

Trigger

These are the definition of insubstantial. Text display? Faster load times? It's setting the bar pretty low if you consider those substantial.

Technical improvements =/= substantial. It's more like optimization.

We also get an extra month, new dungeon, new day-to-day activities, costumes (which aren't counted as armor like P3P), new social links, the skill card system, etc.

There are some very substantial additions to this version.

And the others are insubstantial how? Well, I dont really consider being able to reread dialogue insubstantial, being able to read dialogue I may have missed and or not understood to be insubstantial since most games dont have this feature, and this game is heavy on the text. I dont know, as we've seen more and more games on the consoles and handhelds with bad load times, fast load times seems like a pretty goodp feature. Not That p4 was that bad, but the load times were noticeable. Forgot about being able to go out at night again and the fast forward.

Technical improvements =/= substantial. It's more like optimization.
I dont see a difference.

Duffyside

Banned
He's an optional boss. In original Persona 4 he only showed up on New Game Plus mode, but due to the changes done to New Game Plus, they needed him to show up regardless. Don't bother fighting him til you're at the end of the game.

Aye, that works.

Thanks to you and jello both.

Edit: I do feel bad for those people playing the game for the first time though, unaware of this thing. I bet he could ruin the game for some people.

Dantis

And the others are insubstantial how? Well, I dont really consider being able to reread dialogue insubstantial, being able to read dialogue I may have missed and or not understood to be insubstantial since most games dont have this feature, and this game is heavy on the text. I dont know, as we've seen more and more games on the consoles and handhelds with bad load times, fast load times seems like a pretty goodp feature. Not That p4 was that bad, but the load times were noticeable. Forgot about being able to go out at night again and the fast forward.

I dont see a difference.

Because they're tweaks. The new dungeon and a couple of the larger events are substantial (Although, ironically, lacking in actual substance). Everything else is tweaks and little add-ons.

Certainly, I wouldn't say to someone "No, wait six months, because the faster load times and choosing your Personas moves are going to knock your socks off".

Dantis, I know the additions from a plot/content perspective are a little slim, what with P3FES adding new stuff that genuinely added to the overall plot and are considered canon. Atlus knew this was kind of a dick move, and said for P4 that they would not do a FES version. Atlus DID want the money though, so they made this. There are plenty of new additions, but for the most part, the plot is the same. This is on purpose so that people who played the original Persona don't feel alienated and cheaped out on. All they are really missing is the story of agirlwhotalkswaytoofastcomeoncalmdown who probably wont ever show up again in the series,a nice epilogue, and a few buddy buddy scenes with a character, but other than that, having played the original Persona 4, it is fine if you only played that. P4G was never meant to have stunning new revelations on the plot or anything, just be some good fanservice, which it mostly is, save for a few groan worthy new events and additions.

Top Bottom