• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

okay yeah, fine. but they dont exist in a bubble, youre acting like I said those were the only improvements. On an individual basis theyre minor, You look at everything together, it is a substantial improvement over the original game.

okay yeah, fine. but they dont exist in a bubble, youre acting like I said those were the only improvements. On an individual basis theyre minor, You look at everything together, it is a substantial improvement over the original game.

I only wish some of those improvements were balanced well. Rise's abilities alone completely break the game, plus some of the other new stuff makes this game almost as easy as P2 Innocent Sin Portable...

Akito

So I didn't want to waste a day with anything else than building up the SLs, went in to the TV world and ended up spending 8 straight hours there grinding through all the levels and defeating the bonus bosses... what the fuck is wrong with me, I hate grinding :\
This game is just like crack man, it's seriously bad for my health.

jiggles

Banned
So I'm up to the end of August now. I was hooked before, but since the start of the fourth dungeon, everything's just been on another level.

The design of the dungeon, the incredible boss fight (that music!), and all the narrative payoff afterwards has just been gold.

The omelette competition, beach trip and festival all had me grinning throughout.

The characterisation feels so strong, you actually feel you *know* the group, and the nostalgic emotions it stirs up from the stupid shit me and my own friends would get up to growing up is really, really powerful.

These are JRPG characters. What the fuck.

So I'm up to the end of August now. I was hooked before, but since the start of the fourth dungeon, everything's just been on another level.

The design of the dungeon, the incredible boss fight (that music!), and all the narrative payoff afterwards has just been gold.

The omelette competition, beach trip and festival all had me grinning throughout.

The characterisation feels so strong, you actually feel you *know* the group, and the nostalgic emotions it stirs up from the stupid shit me and my own friends would get up to growing up is really, really powerful.

Every Persona game except arguably 1 has character development like this. Persona as a whole has strong to very strong characters. THIS is why most people are fans of the series, the socializing stuff introduced in 3 is only a piece of the puzzle.

Trigger

It's hard not to feel that way when you spend a whole year with them. I just wish that I never had to leave Inaba.

jiggles

Banned
Actually, I didn't feel as strongly about P3's characters, and I can't really explain why. It's not like either group actually reminds me of my own social group at that age, the nostalgic feelings are all about their actions and scheming. Which even then, ain't all that different between P3 and P4.

I never finished the last game, though, so maybe I just didn't hit the tipping point.

Actually, I didn't feel as strongly about P3's characters, and I can't really explain why. It's not like either group actually reminds me of my own social group at that age, the nostalgic feelings are all about their actions and scheming. Which even then, ain't all that different between P3 and P4.

I never finished the last game, though, so maybe I just didn't hit the tipping point.

Same really, they are my least favorite group. I actually like Yukari (and Junpei but most people like him) the most.

Sophia

I'm rather fond of the Persona 3 cast, if that wasn't obvious. Actually, it's only really the characters in the original Persona I don't like. :S

Wow, someone else who actually likes Yukari. I thought I was the only one.

Hey now, I like her too! Just not nearly as much as Aigis. >.>;

Trigger

I thought Yukari's response in The Answer was crazy, but reasonable.
Maybe because I always choose her as the MC's girlfriend.

Lusankya

Yukari is one of my favorite P3 characters. I'm not sure why people would hate her.

Fully agree. I like that she isn't the happy go lucky always smiling type. And still in FES she has one of the funniest scenes in the game (when you watch her trying out the maid costume in her room :D).

Tiu Neo

It's hard not to feel that way when you spend a whole year with them. I just wish that I never had to leave Inaba.

I really took my time on the last dungeons, so I could spend more time in Inaba :(

How in the hell is this a ps2 game and it feels more advanced and well done than any rpg I have played this gen. How did I miss this game?

Yeah, nothing this generation comes close to this game. I hope Persona 5 can at least come close to it.

Meier

My god, the last tick for Understanding is taking for fucking ever! I have folded so many cranes, talked to the dude at the bar a ton of times, ate multiple $3,000 bowls.. jeez louise!

We also get an extra month, new dungeon, new day-to-day activities, costumes (which aren't counted as armor like P3P), new social links, the skill card system, etc.

There are some very substantial additions to this version.

Don't get me wrong, the extra CONTENT is a very welcome addition to the package. I just don't see stuff like improved load times as a 'substantial' addition to a package. I see that more along the lines of improving performance and playability.

Atlas did a great job with this package, and made some significant improvements to the game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
My god, the last tick for Understanding is taking for fucking ever! I have folded so many cranes, talked to the dude at the bar a ton of times, ate multiple $3,000 bowls.. jeez louise!

All of them do, it's a pain in the ass really.

2nd playthrough, here we go.

Got these trophies to acquire. Anything I should know about to acquire them?
Also, is there a way to track Risette Hardcore Fan?

Card Collector
Displaying Adaptability
Hardcore Risette Fan
Fill Your Hand
Compulsive Reader
Seize The Moment
An Acquire Taste
A New Quiz King
One Who Has Proven Their Power
The Power of Truth
Big Bro Is Worried

[/spoiler]

No but I hear its really hard to get. You basically need to scan every enemy in the game at a various different levels (lower then them, same and higher). Also you need to scan the bosses and bonus bosses multiple times.

Trigger

Compulsive Reader

Strength needs to stay at level 4 for most of the game (until after 8/10) because three books can only be obtained from dates with that social link. I finally have them now; just need to get the rest of the books from the bookstore now.

Meier

Wait, what the what?! It just zoomed ahead to March? Did I do something wrong? :O What about Valentine's and Marie's special dungeon and stuff?

Meier

Hmm (end game stuff),
I decided not to throw Namatame into the TV and then Nanako came to and Teddie decided to go back to his world.. should I have killed him?

Trigger

Hmm (end game stuff),
I decided not to throw Namatame into the TV and then Nanako came to and Teddie decided to go back to his world.. should I have killed him?

No, you
have to stall and convince the group you're missing something. The next day you'll get to talk with Namatame about the kidnapping. If you fail to stop them then you get a bad ending (killing Namatame) or a neutral ending.

The game doesn't skip December on the normal and true ending routes.

Hmm (end game stuff),

you need to spare Namatame, if you kill him, you get a worse ending in which Nanako stays dead. you need to convince the team something is still missing/wrong/weird/etc

Meier

No, you
have to stall and convince the group you're missing something. The next day you'll get to talk with Namatame about the kidnapping. If you fail to stop them then you get a bad ending (killing Namatame) or a neutral ending.

The game doesn't skip December on the normal ending route.

But I did tell them to wait and everyone left the room and returned to Nanako's room to find her alive and Teddie gone. I'm so confused..

Top Bottom