• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

skarabrae

Banned
So I beat
Rise's dungeon
in one day *pats back* thanks to some of the advice and help of the GAFers here. Maxing the Fox SL helped incredibly, and now I'm just trying to find a good groove with fusing Personas. I already discovered a whole bunch of locations thanks to the scooter, been planting plants as much as I can, abusing the TaP soda machine, and over-leveling my characters. All this, and I'm 29 hours in. Between this and 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, I'm hooked.

I'm also really happy to hear on last week's Weekend Confirmed that Garnett Lee is actually playing through P4G and discovering how engaging the characters and the setting is. I'm anxious to hear what Brad from Giant Bomb will think of the game, once he actually turns on his VITA and purchases the game. :/

Also, for the journos out there: Since this game originally came out in 2008, would this game even be eligible for your outlet's game of the year list this year?

Finished drawing my picture. I think it's pretty okay!

I also made it my wallpaper on my Vita. Looks good, except that poor Narukami's face got covered up. :/

It awesome dude, except, Persona 1 logo, no Persona 1 MC, I know you don't like him but come on son!

skarabrae, it was hilarious when Giant Bomb basically invented 2009's 2008 Game of the Year just to be able to give P4 an award.

I'm glad I got it on my first time. A lot of people have problems with this trophy =\

I wasn't even attempting on my first try, but on my second, I outleveled everything so fast that I lost most of the "It's strong!" comments. I didn't swap characters enough, either, which is totally my fault.

Always next time!

Tiu Neo

I also made it my wallpaper on my Vita. Looks good, except that poor Narukami's face got covered up. :/

Nice! Will use it as my new lockscreen :D

I wasn't even attempting on my first try, but on my second, I outleveled everything so fast that I lost most of the "It's strong!" comments. I didn't swap characters enough, either, which is totally my fault.

Always next time!

Oh. I think I got lucky, since I used my "alternative team" to kill the optional bosses, and was a bit underleveled near the ending. It wasn't that hard, I was surprised when I got it.

Dantis

True, and the only other canidates are the Trinity Soul mc, ugh Trinity Soul, and Labrys, who is fine but I know how you feel about Arena. Eh.

Originally, I had Labrys running just ahead of Narukami, and P1 guy running behind Tatsuya, who was being tugged along by Maya. I erased those two completely, and changed Tatsuya to just walking behind them. I think it would have been a bit cluttered with all eight protagonists.

Didn't even think of Shin from Trinity Soul. I don't consider him a Persona character.

Originally, I had Labrys running just ahead of Narukami, and P1 guy running behind Tatsuya, who was being tugged along by Maya. I erased those two completely, and changed Tatsuya to just walking behind them. I think it would have been a bit cluttered with all eight protagonists.

Didn't even think of Shin from Trinity Soul. I don't consider him a Persona character.

What about Tamaki Uchida just behind everyone doing a Ha I Came Before all of You and I'm a Badass pose, but she isn't exactly Persona, per se, more like a proto-Persona

Meguro thinks TS is more Persona than 1 or 2, persona music live pls

Dantis

What about Tamaki Uchida just behind everyone doing a Ha I Came Before all of You and I'm a Badass pose, but she isn't exactly Persona, per se, more like a proto-Persona

Meguro thinks TS is more Persona than 1 or 2, persona music live pls

...Actually Tamaki running with the P1 protag would have totally worked.

Persona86

Banned

Wow...that's great!

The only critic I got is that the ear shadow looks strange, like he's got huge hole there. :)

Did you draw that with a tablet?

Dantis

Wow...that's great!

The only critic I got is that the ear shadow looks strange, like he's got huge hole there. :)

Did you draw that with a tablet?

Yep! I'd be mega proud if I'd used a mouse for that, haha. As far as the ear goes, no idea why it's like that. I think that's how Soejima does them? When I was drawing it, I was looking at Soejima Artworks constantly. Used loads of references.

But would it be If... Tamaki, P1 Tamaki, or P2 Tamaki?

P2 Tamaki. I'd just go with the best one (And the only one drawn by Soejima :p).

Reclaimer

Not a fan of most JRPGs or Anime, and I haven't played any other Persona game. I did like Catherine and Chrono Trigger. Not a huge fan of visual novels. (Small examples of where my tastes lie with games I'm guessing have some similarities to P4)

Solely based on that tiny bit of info, would you recommend buying Persona 4 Golden? I'm getting Ni No Kuni early next year, so I'm trying not to have JRPG overload...

Noi

Now you owe me some Labrys art. :mad:

Trigger

Not a fan of most JRPGs or Anime, and I haven't played any other Persona game. I did like Catherine and Chrono Trigger. Not a huge fan of visual novels. (Small examples of where my tastes lie with games I'm guessing have some similarities to P4)

Solely based on that tiny bit of info, would you recommend buying Persona 4 Golden? I'm getting Ni No Kuni early next year, so I'm trying not to have JRPG overload...

A couple of people who don't like JRPGs or haven't played them much have praised Golden, but it's hard to say. Maybe watch some gameplay clips?

Persona86

Banned
Yep! I'd be mega proud if I'd used a mouse for that, haha. As far as the ear goes, no idea why it's like that. I think that's how Soejima does them? When I was drawing it, I was looking at Soejima Artworks constantly. Used loads of references.

Ah I see! You've actually inspired me to get a tablet again, I used to have one, but had to sell it because I needed money. ::)

P2 Tamaki. I'd just go with the best one (And the only one drawn by Soejima :p).

I love Soejima, but, as with Meguro, I feel they are both overrated really.

Persona86

Banned

100% recommended. especially if you like Catherine. I would recommend this over Ni No Kuni, I'm still gonna get Ni No Kuni, but so far from the demo I prefer Persona gameplay 10 times more.

(I may appear biased because of my name thou haha)

Dantis

Now you owe me some Labrys art. :mad:

Maybe sometime I'll draw some. :p

I was thinking of doing some sketches of Soejima characters for funsies sometime soon, so maybe I'll whip up a Labrys one.

Ah I see! You've actually inspired me to get a tablet again, I used to have one, but had to sell it because I needed money. ::)

Do it! :D
Just make sure you get a Wacom. ;)

I love Soejima, but, as with Meguro, I feel they are both overrated really.

They're both my favourite creators in their respective mediums. I listen to Meguro music pretty much every single day.

Maybe sometime I'll draw some. :p

I was thinking of doing some sketches of Soejima characters for funsies sometime soon, so maybe I'll whip up a Labrys one.

Do it! :D
Just make sure you get a Wacom. ;)

They're both my favourite creators in their respective mediums. I listen to Meguro music pretty much every single day.

Meguro is mostly awesome but when he phones it in, he really phones it in. Screw like half of the P1P ost.

Sophia

Ni No Kuni isn't really comparable to Persona 4 Golden. The former is a decent RPG, where as Persona 4 Golden is one of the best of all time. I think you'd like it, given it's not really your standard JRPG or anime game, and you DID say you liked Catherine.

Meguro is mostly awesome but when he phones it in, he really phones it in. Screw like half of the P1P ost.

Good thing half the P1P OST wasn't his work. :p

kuroshiki

I'm having trouble getting into this; for years my friends have told me that I really need to play through a persona game so this is y first. With 9 hours in, here are my bullet points off the top of my head:

-3 hrs until you finally get any semblance of gameplay
-6 hrs in and only one dungeon completed
-entered said dungeon underleveled and spent a lot of time grinding
-every day routine doesnt make for exciting gameplay
-awesome story awesome characters
-already know who killer is
-awesome albeit repetitive music

I'll keep forcing my way through but this isn't what i was expecting. I don't love it but i don't
particularly think its bad by any means. This is a weird game for me

You are doing it wrong, bro.

This game is really, really not grinding at all. kill hands. Unlike original, hands in this game really gives you crazy amount of money and exp.

This comes in especially handy in 2nd playground. You will get like 3 level ups every kill, and a lot of money to boot.

Although I agree that the game is very slow at start. but once it clicks, man, you can't stop.

DJ_Lae

This game is really, really not grinding at all. kill hands. Unlike original, hands in this game really gives you crazy amount of money and exp.

I got really unlucky with hands for the first couple of dungeons. Didn't see many, and those that did quickly escaped (or did weird shit like casting the right element to knock down one of my characters and then escaping on their one-more-time). I think I killed one by the time I hit the second boss.

Then they just started pouring in, and doing dumb stuff like just idling there confused or (better yet) casting balzac on themselves so I can down them in less than two turns of melee.

But until that happened there was a lot of grinding involved.

Venfayth

You are doing it wrong, bro.

This comes in especially handy in 2nd playground. You will get like 3 level ups every kill, and a lot of money to boot.

Although I agree that the game is very slow at start. but once it clicks, man, you can't stop.

If you're playing on Very Hard, you will have to grind, even on hands.

If you're just playing on normal, just clear every floor you go through and prioritize the leaf cards during shuffle time and you should be relatively okay as far as levels go.

CSX

Can finally play my copy since finals are over.

Some of yall already got 100% compedinum???!!

Anyways i heard you can select what skills are inherited in fusion now. Is that true?

If so, awwwwww yeahhh

November plot spoilers, do not read:
the lead up to and the events to Nanakos kidnapping was so tense. Even more so on second viewing. The scene with Naoto running through the rain heading to Dojimas as she's on the phone with Chie and everyone's world begins to unravel. Really good stuff.

Sophia

Can finally play my copy since finals are over.

Some of yall already got 100% compedinum???!!

Anyways i heard you can select what skills are inherited in fusion now. Is that true?

If so, awwwwww yeahhh

Yup, you can select the skills now. It's very nice <3

CwwdT.jpg

AOw4j.jpg

I love these costumes, it's like they're really super heroes.

Also, a great shot of shadows about to get their ass kicked

I have taken almost 2000 screenshots with the Vita OS snapshot tool. The game has so many great and unintentionally funny moments, I can't help myself. All platforms should have this feature (I know the Wii U does, but does it have an easy to use export tool?)

Venfayth

I have taken almost 2000 screenshots with the Vita OS snapshot tool. The game has so many great and unintentionally funny moments, I can't help myself. All platforms should have this feature (I know the Wii U does, but does it have an easy to use export tool?)

I've taken too many, myself ._.

I'm worried about my memory card filling up, haha.

Syrinx

November 20th, completed sixth (I believe) dungeon.

I kinda lucked out in that battle against Namatame. When he used control and took over my whole party except me, I had Barong equipped with a Null Physical ability. So over the two rounds of turns, I only took damage because of a Garudyne, some of which I got back when I drained Yukiko's Agidyne, as I blocked all the rest of the attacks.

So I saved Nanako and caught the killer. The one thing I wonder about is Namatame saying "they call me to save them". I assume "they" are the next villains my gang needs to fuck up, whoever they are. Or, once again, I'm giving too much credence to the rantings of a madman.

cjkeats

I know the cut off dates for Nanako and Dojima's S-Links, but are they by chance extended in Golden because of the new stuff, or am I boned? Got to level 9 on both of them and missed the cut off date.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I know the cut off dates for Nanako and Dojima's S-Links, but are they by chance extended in Golden because of the new stuff, or am I boned? Got to level 9 on both of them and missed the cut off date.

I think there are a few days in January.

A strange little changed I noticed. When
Teddie takes off his suit and is human now
Yosuke asks: "Is he cute? What do you think Kanji?" in a condescending way. In the original, he has a straight face while saying that. Here, he has the joking wink face. Just a strange little change I only noticed because I saw that part on the Endurance Run right after I played it.

Wonko_C

I'm having trouble getting into this; for years my friends have told me that I really need to play through a persona game so this is y first. With 9 hours in, here are my bullet points off the top of my head:

-3 hrs until you finally get any semblance of gameplay
-6 hrs in and only one dungeon completed
-entered said dungeon underleveled and spent a lot of time grinding
-every day routine doesnt make for exciting gameplay
-awesome story awesome characters
-already know who killer is
-awesome albeit repetitive music

I'll keep forcing my way through but this isn't what i was expecting. I don't love it but i don't particularly think its bad by any means. This is a weird game for me

I watched the anime previous to playing P4G and even there I guessed who the killer was.

What do you guys think? Was the story intended to be that way? Or was it just unintentionally ovbious?

Squire

Banned
A strange little changed I noticed. When
Teddie takes off his suit and is human now
Yosuke asks: "Is he cute? What do you think Kanji?" in a condescending way. In the original, he has a straight face while saying that. Here, he has the joking wink face. Just a strange little change I only noticed because I saw that part on the Endurance Run right after I played it.

I think it's really easy to see Yosuke as homophobic. I mean he is. He's not a total asshole and it's only done to be played for laughs (and I'm sure he very much sees Kanji as a dear friend as he does the others), but I pretty much raised my eye brows every time he said something like that. I can see why they'd wanna alter that stuff for sensitivity.

I watched the anime previous to playing P4G and even there I guessed who the killer was.

What do you guys think? Was the story intended to be that way? Or was it just unintentionally ovbious?

It's obvious in the anime because they make it obvious. Because 9/10, if you're watching the anime, you've played the game and know the plot. The anime is a fan thing, totally. It takes a three hour intro for first-timers, condenses it into 40 minutes and cuts a ton of exposition. It's almost predicated on it's audience having experienced "the long version".

kuroshiki

I got really unlucky with hands for the first couple of dungeons. Didn't see many, and those that did quickly escaped (or did weird shit like casting the right element to knock down one of my characters and then escaping on their one-more-time). I think I killed one by the time I hit the second boss.

Then they just started pouring in, and doing dumb stuff like just idling there confused or (better yet) casting balzac on themselves so I can down them in less than two turns of melee.

But until that happened there was a lot of grinding involved.

What I did was hit it from the back (gives you one turn advantage) and pour items like hit 50 to them. In the end it gives you more money than you spent to buy those items.

But then again, you still don't need to grind at all at normal difficulty.

If you're playing on Very Hard, you will have to grind, even on hands.

If you're just playing on normal, just clear every floor you go through and prioritize the leaf cards during shuffle time and you should be relatively okay as far as levels go.

That's why play very hard on 2nd playground. Yoshitsune basically clears everything with one hit until 5th dungeon.

Playing normal difficulty, there is really no reason to grind at all in P4G.

I think it's really easy to see Yosuke as homophobic. I mean he is. He's not a total asshole and it's only done to be played for laughs (and I'm sure he very much sees Kanji as a dear friend as he does the others), but I pretty much raised my eye brows every time he said something like that. I can see why they'd wanna alter that stuff for sensitivity.

I don't think it's that serious. I'm homophobic as well.

Squire

Banned
I don't think it's a terribly big deal myself because the nature of it and their obvious intent. But again, in their position, I could see why they'd want to maintain clarity.

I was homophobic for a time as well, just being young. I'm not ashamed to say I was, but I'm not proud about it either.

kuroshiki

I don't think it's a terribly big deal myself because the nature of it and their obvious intent. But again, in their position, I could see why they'd want to maintain clarity.

I was homophobic for a time as well, just being young. I'm not ashamed to say I was, but I'm not proud about it either.

Being homophobic has nothing to do with age or pride. It's just the way it is. (shrug)

I dont know, age does seem to play a little part of it. I knew plenty of people in high school who would say that kind of stupid shit, some of it friendly ribbing, but sometimes it did get out hand. Of course these same people years later have grown up and regret the things theyve said. Of course this isnt everyone, some people are assholes for life.

The thing about Yosuke is that he usually means well but he cant help but try to push people's buttons. I do think becoming friends with Kanji has changed his perspective but he still loves trying to egg him on. He does the same thing with Naoto calling Naoto a kid, and Chie calling her stupid, course she can bite back right at him.

He still has growing up to do, of course.

I don't really think Yosuke is a homophobe that much past the camp scenes, hes just a typical dick to his friends, a common thing between teen friends. Kanji just has an easy target to mock. They probably changed the portrait the fact that he was joking with him, and not serious about asking that or some crap.

btkadams

oh shit there are cutoff dates? i may have to start googling. i'm in june and scared now.

Yeah I think it was more just to tease Kanji and get him flustered. I never got the impression that Yosuke was doing it to be inconsiderate.

And let's be real here, human Teddie is adorable.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I never really hated the beginning even though I knew it got a lot of criticism for it from the start. But with this being my third playthrough, its pretty rough with how long it is until the action starts.

Sophia

I don't really think Yosuke is a homophobe that much past the camp scenes, hes just a typical dick to his friends, a common thing between teen friends. Kanji just has an easy target to mock. They probably changed the portrait the fact that he was joking with him, and not serious about asking that or some crap.
Yeah I think it was more just to tease Kanji and get him flustered. I never got the impression that Yosuke was doing it to be inconsiderate.

Persona 4 Arena does provide some insights into Yosuke's attitude actually:

vFUC4.jpg

Or, more simply. He's just immature and still has growing up to do.

Top Bottom