• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Sophia

Very late game spoilers...

I'm at the Adachi dungeon. Is this the final one? I have a bunch of Heaven quests that i need to complete. Will beating this dungeon lock me out from completing them?

No and no.
There are two more dungeons after that, one of which is the new optional dungeon for Persona 4 Golden and will be unlocked if you met the requirements, the other is the true final dungeon if you met the requirements for the true ending. Either way, you have time to complete those heaven quests.

FStop7

Banned
just started on P4G. Since P3P is the only persona I have played, any tips on how to level? In P3P I just basically 1 nighted the dungeon up to a boss and just wait for the event. I tried that today for
yukiko's castle
and noticing that gameplan isn't going to work.

Also what is the best way to grind exp?

What difficulty are you playing? On Normal that fight is pretty easy.

On another dungeon I got whipped pretty soundly on multiple attempts vs. the boss, so I started over on the first level and worked my way back to the door of the boss chamber. Then I rested up, did some fusing, sold and bought some gear, stocked up on key potions, and tried again. Second time around was much easier.

Salaadin

No and no.
There are two more dungeons after that, one of which is the new optional dungeon for Persona 4 Golden and will be unlocked if you met the requirements, the other is the true final dungeon if you met the requirements for the true ending. Either way, you have time to complete those heaven quests.
Thanks

No, but I'd finish them if I were you.
Thanks. Im farming the items right now. Just wondering if i should leave to turn them in when I'm done or stick around to finish the dungeon first and turn them in after that.

What difficulty are you playing? On Normal that fight is pretty easy.

On another dungeon I got whipped pretty soundly on multiple attempts vs. the boss, so I started over on the first level and worked my way back to the door of the boss chamber. Then I rested up, did some fusing, sold and bought some gear, stocked up on key potions, and tried again. Second time around was much easier.

Normal.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah looks like you actually have to grind in P4G. In P3P I just killed all the mobs on the floor, move up, rinse-repeat to boss.

Sophia

Normal.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah looks like you actually have to grind in P4G. In P3P I just killed all the mobs on the floor, move up, rinse-repeat to boss.

Not really grind, unless you're playing on Very Hard, but you DO need good Personae for the bosses and mini-bosses. Almost all the mini-bosses are Tartarus bosses from Persona 3 too. >_>;

Very hard seems very artificial. I would have rather them just make it so enemies hit harder and acted smarter, instead of an annoying money, exp and damage handicap in an addition to enemies hitting harder.

Noi

Very Hard is a nightmare for me cause I like being underleveled in RPGs, but underleveled in Very Hard P4G is like like beating Lucifer in Nocturne without any preparation. Its not gonna happen. I somehow got away with it in the bathhouse, but dungeon 3 ain't having any of that.

Forcing myself to grind in
striptease
for the MIDBOSS is a pain. :(

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The lady in white at shrine seems to have gone missing in early August but I still need to get the bug net off her.

She comes and goes, only surety is she's not there when it's raining. She should show up again.

Very hard seems very artificial. I would have rather them just make it so enemies hit harder and acted smarter, instead of an annoying money, exp and damage handicap in an addition to enemies hitting harder.

I agree, but It's probably not really feasible technically, at least, with 4's battle system. Early in the game, I don't know if there's really a way with the current system that isn't absurdly punishing.

I.e. if a Shadow was faster than yosuke (who's usually first unless Protag had a lot of AGI) and hits with with an elec move twice and he's near dead or even dead before you can do anything, that's not very hard, it's just frustrating. Making enemies hit harder does force more SP usage, though the exp and money less does seem kinda lame as well, given that you're already going to be shorter on SP, especially early game.

Very Hard is a nightmare for me cause I like being underleveled in RPGs, but underleveled in Very Hard P4G is like like fighting Lucifer in Nocturne without any preparation. It ain't gonna happen.

Forcing myself to grind in
striptease
for the MIDBOSS is a pain. :(

I dunno, for me it stopped being very hard in the beginning of Kanjis dungeon, now it just seems like P4's Hard Mode to me.

Noi

I dunno, for me it stopped being very hard in the beginning of Kanjis dungeon, now it just seems like P4's Hard Mode to me.

What were you characters levels? I'm at dungeon 3 with a Level 17 Yu/Chie, Level 19 Yukiko and Level 26 Kanji, and the snake midboss kills the 3 former party members in it's opening attack.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Yeah, that's why I didn't really bother with it.

Noi

I am now doing the strip club's bonus boss at 7/12, my levels are 34, 29, 34, 32, 36, 31, 37

...Considering that's p. much double my average level, I'd say that's my current issue. Even random mooks destroy me in their opening move if I'm unlucky/don't get player advantage. :(

I just don't like grinding on purpose, haha. I'd much rather strategize at my current level than grind, which is how I beat the first two dungeon bosses, but is starting to cost me now.

...Considering that's p. much double my average level, I'd say that's my current issue. Even random mooks destroy me in their opening move if I'm unlucky/don't get player advantage. :(

I just don't like grinding on purpose, haha. I'd much rather strategize at my current level than grind, which is how I beat the first two dungeon bosses, but is starting to cost me now.

I only did a ton of grindin' on the first dungeon, and it seems to have paid off for me, but I get ya.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh what the fuck.

This book trophy is going to drive me up the god damn wall.

So I don't get the second book from the second event with the Strength social link, but I get the third?! UGH

Alfredo

On New Game+, with EXP modified to "more" and just got to the Bathhouse dungeon... and Contrarian King still one shots my party. ><

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
whaddya mean i can't romance aika? should have made her a s link instead of marie, so i could go to the meat dimension

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This game is too addicting, I think the last time I was this into a game was Fallout 3. There is just too much to do, so much to see, so many monsters to take out.

Which is funny because my initial impressions of the game pegged it as boring. The beginning drags on for way too long until they let you get into the meat of the game, and I'm not particularly a fan of the main characters. But Teddie is the best character ever.

Squire

Banned
I like how in the beginning in the game, Nanako thinks the weather girl can manipulate the weather and Dojima corrects her.
Then in the True Ending epilogue, Marie does exactly that ^_^

The game just book ends really nicely if you get the True Ending. Love when games do that.

I like how in the beginning in the game, Nanako thinks the weather girl can manipulate the weather and Dojima corrects her.

The game just book ends really nicely if you get the True Ending. Love when games do that.

Uhh, that sentence doesn't lead well into the spoiler. Didn't really bother me though

Hit January, dat music. I can spend several hours in a row being attacked by shadows that are trying to kill me but spending 10 minutes running around in the snow is too much for MC for some reason

Yup, noticed that too. Great callback.

Dantis

But isn't... that Meguro? XD

I thought that too. I know he didn't do the whole soundtrack, but I thought that was one of the tracks he did do.

I was trying to find the high-pitched Naoto voice sample in Japanese...

That doesn't happen in the Japanese one anyway.
She just starts using the female denominations when she describes herself, rather than the male ones like she had been doing.

Tiu Neo

whaddya mean i can't romance aika? should have made her a s link instead of marie, so i could go to the meat dimension

I would like if they replaced Marie with Aika. They should put her as a S. Link or at least a Cameo in 4-2/Golden Remake/Whatever they do next with Persona 4.

This game is too addicting, I think the last time I was this into a game was Fallout 3. There is just too much to do, so much to see, so many monsters to take out.

Which is funny because my initial impressions of the game pegged it as boring. The beginning drags on for way too long until they let you get into the meat of the game, and I'm not particularly a fan of the main characters. But Teddie is the best character ever.

Yeah, the first few hours really do drag on, but the game (and characters) get a lot better when you start doing some S. Links. Then again, I liked most of the characters from the start.
Kanji is my favorite :p

What are the criteria (if any) for playing the new dungeon? I've already played through vanilla PS4, so I know how to get the true ending, but I don't want to risk missing it if you have to do something else.

Tiu Neo

What are the criteria (if any) for playing the new dungeon? I've already played through vanilla PS4, so I know how to get the true ending, but I don't want to risk missing it if you have to do something else.

You have to
max Marie's S. Link before the end of December. Then, there will be an event at the Velvet Room at one of the first days of January.
That's it, all the other events are automatic. Some guides say that you have to
romance her, but that's not true. But if you do, you get one small extra dialog at the true ending.

DJ_Lae

Oh man, after so much grinding in the earlier dungeons and the war of attrition with the fourth dungeon boss, the fifth one went by magnificently. I kind of recall it being that way in the original game too, actually, where you hit a point with skills where you feel incredibly overpowered compared to all of the regular enemies.

I unlocked the fifth dungeon and finished it in the same day, thanks to a lot of hands and a lot of SP restoring cards in shuffle time. It got to a point where it was almost ridiculous, my party absolutely steamrolled through everything including the boss.

I'm also loving the persona level up and skill upgrade cards, which combined with the various stat upgrade cards let you buff your personas to a crazy amount (but when you had switched to one you care less about to knock the last enemy down it's disappointing).

I also get the impression I'm not playing the game 'right.' I probably don't buff my party or weaken enemies as much as I should, I have no doubt I'm prioritizing my S Links because of how interesting I find the stories and not planning out what I want to fuse, which probably isn't optimal. But at the same time, I don't really care. I can always play it a second time for a min/max run.

Trigger

Oh man, after so much grinding in the earlier dungeons and the war of attrition with the fourth dungeon boss, the fifth one went by magnificently. I kind of recall it being that way in the original game too, actually, where you hit a point with skills where you feel incredibly overpowered compared to all of the regular enemies.

I unlocked the fifth dungeon and finished it in the same day, thanks to a lot of hands and a lot of SP restoring cards in shuffle time. It got to a point where it was almost ridiculous, my party absolutely steamrolled through everything including the boss.

I'm also loving the persona level up and skill upgrade cards, which combined with the various stat upgrade cards let you buff your personas to a crazy amount (but when you had switched to one you care less about to knock the last enemy down it's disappointing).

I also get the impression I'm not playing the game 'right.' I probably don't buff my party or weaken enemies as much as I should, I have no doubt I'm prioritizing my S Links because of how interesting I find the stories and not planning out what I want to fuse, which probably isn't optimal. But at the same time, I don't really care. I can always play it a second time for a min/max run.

It's amazing and makes me wish P3P had it. The stat bonuses become crazy helpful when piled on one good persona.

megalowho

Really loving how new shuffle time + S.O.S. means you eventually can mess around in dungeons pretty much as long as you want. I'm making crazy money, building up personas (Black Frost), collecting skill cards and items, cleaning up Quest requests and still hovering near full HP/SP most of the time. It's not really needed and kind of breaks the game, but it might be the most fun I've had grinding in an RPG.

Really loving how new shuffle time + S.O.S. means you eventually can mess around in dungeons pretty much as long as you want. I'm making crazy money, building up personas (Black Frost), collecting skill cards and items, cleaning up Quest requests and still hovering near full HP/SP most of the time. It's not really needed and kind of breaks the game, but it might be the most fun I've had grinding in an RPG.

Yeah, Golden's changes really make everything a lot easier when used properly.

Before going into the second dungeon, I fused a Sarasvati, and between being able to pick the skills inherited, and Skill cards, it knows:

Agi
Garu
Zio
Bufu
Media (restores health to whole party)
Tarunda (lowers enemy defense)
Sukunda (lowers enemy hit/evasion rate)
Invigorate 2 (restores 5 SP a turn automatically)

I cleared the dungeon in one day, and when I went in to face the final boss, everybody had full HP, and about 90% SP. I hardly used any of the other characters, as the main character would usually down everything on turn one, and then an all-out attack would finish things.

Since I was always using Sarasvati, it received all the cards that raise stats, making it even better.

So the only way I can get an aeon persona in the first dungeon is to level up to 18 in order to fuse one? I'm trying to make sure I have one for the s.link, but I didn't think I'd have to grind THAT much in the first dungeon (doesn't help that I have the worst gold hand luck ever)

kuroshiki

On New Game+, with EXP modified to "more" and just got to the Bathhouse dungeon... and Contrarian King still one shots my party. ><

If you had persona with either null physics or counter physics, contrarian king can't do jack shit.

make yoshitsune. Makes your life in P4G a whole lot easier.

This man knows what he is talking about.

Preach it bro.

So the only way I can get an aeon persona in the first dungeon is to level up to 18 in order to fuse one? I'm trying to make sure I have one for the s.link, but I didn't think I'd have to grind THAT much in the first dungeon (doesn't help that I have the worst gold hand luck ever)

you will have plenty of time for marie S.link. Don't worry about it for now. and yes lv 18 persona is the lowest aeon persona.

skarabrae

Banned
Before going into the second dungeon, I fused a Sarasvati

I cleared the dungeon in one day, and when I went in to face the final boss, everybody had full HP, and about 90% SP.

This is exactly what I did. Sarasvati with almost all the elements (had her with Hama), was pretty fantastic. Though right now, I've just completed
Rise's dungeon
and now I'm looking to move onto the next great Persona to build up to. What would it be, I wonder? *looks around*

I've fully maxed out my SL with Yukiko, got the trophies for it, and noticed that the last part is fully voice acted. I don't remember if this was the same as the original PS2 version, but I found it to be pretty cool. Trying to max out Chie and Rise as fast as I can, then I'll focus on Nanako and Dojima next. I'm on 7/20, in case people are wondering.

Also, I stumbled upon the pub that opens where the item shop is in the Evening. Is there any value to trading weapons with her? Seems like Daidara gets a lot of the good stuff.

kuroshiki

This is exactly what I did. Sarasvati with almost all the elements (had her with Hama), was pretty fantastic. Though right now, I've just completed
Rise's dungeon
and now I'm looking to move onto the next great Persona to build up to. What would it be, I wonder? *looks around*

I've fully maxed out my SL with Yukiko, got the trophies for it, and noticed that the last part is fully voice acted. I don't remember if this was the same as the original PS2 version, but I found it to be pretty cool. Trying to max out Chie and Rise as fast as I can, then I'll focus on Nanako and Dojima next. I'm on 7/20, in case people are wondering.

Also, I stumbled upon the pub that opens where the item shop is in the Evening. Is there any value to trading weapons with her? Seems like Daidara gets a lot of the good stuff.

Not really. The only value I see in that shop at night is 1) you need one weapon from there to finish all the quests. 2) some weapons there gives you 50% EXP boost. 3) you need to visit there with ladybug to activate fishing rod event trigger.

Not really. The only value I see in that shop at night is 1) you need one weapon from there to finish all the quests. 2) some weapons there gives you 50% EXP boost. 3) you need to visit there with ladybug to activate fishing rod event trigger.

Most of the time, I usually just sold the gems to Dadria for extra yen. I'm assuming that most people, esp. ones who played on very hard like me, did this.

kuroshiki

Most of the time, I usually just sold the gems to Dadria for extra yen. I'm assuming that most people, esp. ones who played on very hard like me, did this.

I'm playing on very hard mode NG+ but I gathered enough money on my first round, so besides buying persona (which is quite expensive) and buying the best gears from the start, there is not much need for money for me.

But yes if you are playing very hard from the very start you need every money you can get.

Top Bottom