• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

I know they are very rewarding, I'm asking if they have any weaknesses, or if I should just pour all my attacks into one of them.

To my knowledge they have none. The best strategy is to hit them with physical attacks and debuffs. Some of the later gold shadows are nice enough to hit themselves with rage too.

Tiu Neo

To my knowledge they have none. The best strategy is to hit them with physical attacks and debuffs. Some of the later gold shadows are nice enough to hit themselves with rage too.

Yep. You can also use Revolution up your critical rate and get lucky getting one (or more) of them down. Of course, their Critical Rate also goes up, too, so you have to be lucky, but that worked for me until mid-game.

I'm playing on very hard mode NG+ but I gathered enough money on my first round, so besides buying persona (which is quite expensive) and buying the best gears from the start, there is not much need for money for me.

But yes if you are playing very hard from the very start you need every money you can get.

Yah, I played on VH on my first playthrough. My next run though is going to be my trophy run so I'll be playing on very easy haha. Can't wait :p.

DJ_Lae

Yup, once they start casting ballsack they're sitting ducks.

Still overwhelming when you end up against four of the hands, though. You know you'll probably only kill two of them but that doesn't stop you from trying.

And every time one escapes it's sad.

Noi

I can't kill hands on V. Hard until I'm in the dungeon after they show up. More often than not they're a bigger threat to my MC than the regular mooks. :(

Tiu Neo

Still overwhelming when you end up against four of the hands, though. You know you'll probably only kill two of them but that doesn't stop you from trying.

Yep :( I started using Megido spells to try to kill them all, late game :( Got them once or twice, but then it's pretty much all of them or none =\

Trigger

Not on on New Game Plus, lol. I love how oddly common they are though.

So, I put the game down for a week and now I can't remember a certain plot detail.
I'm in the Void Quest chasing after Mitsuo and I can't recall why we suspect him as the culprit. Last thing I remember was arresting the fat Risette otaku hanging outside the tofu shop and Morooka being killed.

Trigger

So, I put the game down for a week and now I can't remember a certain plot detail.
I'm in the Void Quest chasing after Mitsuo and I can't recall why we suspect him as the culprit. Last thing I remember was arresting the fat Risette otaku hanging outside the tofu shop and Morooka being killed.

He appeared on the Midnight Channel taunting people to come get him. I believe Adachi also let slip that he was loose.

Yasir

Posted earlier in this thread; asking whether I should buy even though I'm a jrpg noob. GOD! Got it last night, and I'm nearly 8 hours in already. It eats your life this game, it eats it, and feel it sucking the life out of me. Looking at reviews and other opinions on other forums, people didn't seem to like the first few hours, but I absolutely loved them. Didn't mind the lack of 'game' in those hours, the story just sucked me in. The characters are all awesome.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. LBP vita, Assassin's Creed, VLR and PS All stars are gonna have to wait.

DJ_Lae

Looking at reviews and other opinions on other forums, people didn't seem to like the first few hours, but I absolutely loved them. Didn't mind the lack of 'game' in those hours, the story just sucked me in. The characters are all awesome.

I'll be honest, my favourite parts of Persona 4 are those where I'm talking to other characters or just reading dialogue and proceeding through my days.

In comparison I find the combat and dungeons to be kind of weak. Every time I finish one I go "Thank god, now it's back to social linking."

Yasir

I'll be honest, my favourite parts of Persona 4 are those where I'm talking to other characters or just reading dialogue and proceeding through my days.

In comparison I find the combat and dungeons to be kind of weak. Every time I finish one I go "Thank god, now it's back to social linking."

Yeah, feel the exact same way, except there's a weird feeling of "fuck yeah shuffling cards, gimme a good persona, yo!". Alot more swearing and adult themes than I expected, which is actually a breath of fresh air.

Tiu Neo

You're not alone :D

I still think the first few hours are a bit boring, compared to the rest of the game, but my favorite part of the game is doing S. Links, and dungeon exploring is the weakest part of the game imo. (But I really like the combat)

Curufinwe

I found
Mitsuo's shadow
pretty challenging on Normal with two people at level 37 and two at 36. Almost ran out of SP by the end.

I did too. Battle wasn't particularly hard but it took forever.

The old strategy of mind charge + -dyne spell seemed to have worked best for me. I had plenty of SP remaining and if I recall correctly...he never had a chance to
reform Mitsuo the Hero.

Noi

I'll be playing on VH for my NG+ run as well, I'm just removing the silly EXP/Yen limit. I'm already punishing myself enough on my first run, but I don't want the game to be THAT easy.

Curufinwe

The old strategy of mind charge + -dyne spell seemed to have worked best for me. I had plenty of SP remaining and if I recall correctly...he never had a chance to
reform Mitsuo the Hero.

My best attack was only a Fire Boosted Agilao with a level 40 Pyro Jack, so he reformed twice.

Trigger, I need help:
how do I trigger the old lady SL? She told me to see her at the flood plains on sunny days, but I haven't been able to start the SL. I see an old lady there talk about her daughter, but nothing else.

Trigger

Trigger, I need help:
how do I trigger the old lady SL? She told me to see her at the flood plains on sunny days, but I haven't been able to start the SL. I see an old lady there talk about her daughter, but nothing else.

You just need to have Devil at rank 4
, where the old woman mentions not seeing the protagonist anymore
. The Death social link appears on the riverbank on sundays and holidays (but not if it's raining), I believe. She wears all black and she's next to the actual river where you fish.

tornjaw

Never played anything from the Persona series before. Is this a game that I can pick up and get into without feeling like I'm missing out?

Never played anything from the Persona series before. Is this a game that I can pick up and get into without feeling like I'm missing out?

For Persona 4 yes, but Persona 4 Arena contains a sizable chunk of Persona 3 in it too, so might want to think about that if you are thinking of playing Arena.

Absolutely. Persona 4 stands apart from the rest of the series in terms of fiction, so you aren't missing out on anything. There are very few throwbacks to previous games.

stktt

Banned
I'm stuck on the boss of the second dungeon. The two smaller enemies are easy to defeat, but I can never take down the main guy before getting killed by that AoE attack. Most of my party is on level 17, and I get the feeling that I'm not at an adequate level to progress. It's the final day before the fog sets in, so grinding isn't really an option.

Should I reload a previous save from just after the first dungeon, or is there some obvious strategy I'm missing?

Trigger

I'm stuck on the boss of the second dungeon. The two smaller enemies are easy to defeat, but I can never take down the main guy before getting killed by that AoE attack. Most of my party is on level 17, and I get the feeling that I'm not at an adequate level to progress. It's the final day before the fog sets in, so grinding isn't really an option.

Should I reload a previous save from just after the first dungeon, or is there some obvious strategy I'm missing?

No other obvious strategy if you know the smaller guys' weaknesses already. I suggest being at level 20+ for that dungeon. The game rewinds by a week if you miss a deadline, so you can just let the fog set in and then retry the dungeon if you don't wish to grind. In the future it's always best to do the dungeons right away.

stktt

Banned
No other obvious strategy if you know the smaller guys' weaknesses already. I suggest being at level 20+ for that dungeon. The game rewinds by a week if you miss a deadline, so you can just let the fog set in and then retry the dungeon if you don't wish to grind. In the future it's always best to do the dungeons right away.

I completely overlooked the person you're supposed to interrogate until a week before the fog sets in. Otherwise, I would have spent at least a week getting prepared. Thanks.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Trigger, I need help:

Holidays aka Sundays and Holidays, that're sunny.

This is exactly what I did. Sarasvati with almost all the elements (had her with Hama), was pretty fantastic. Though right now, I've just completed
Rise's dungeon
and now I'm looking to move onto the next great Persona to build up to. What would it be, I wonder? *looks around*

I've fully maxed out my SL with Yukiko, got the trophies for it, and noticed that the last part is fully voice acted. I don't remember if this was the same as the original PS2 version, but I found it to be pretty cool. Trying to max out Chie and Rise as fast as I can, then I'll focus on Nanako and Dojima next. I'm on 7/20, in case people are wondering.

Also, I stumbled upon the pub that opens where the item shop is in the Evening. Is there any value to trading weapons with her? Seems like Daidara gets a lot of the good stuff.

I just got Yukiko to be my girlfriend, but... what's that special persona they mention? I don't see anything new in the compendium. Do I still need to find the fusing personas and be an appropriate level?

Oh, and are there any more special scenes after max social level? I'm in July.

Trigger

I completely overlooked the person you're supposed to interrogate until a week before the fog sets in. Otherwise, I would have spent at least a week getting prepared. Thanks.

Yeah, those sections are a little bogus. Luckily they never take longer than two days going forward.

I just got Yukiko to be my girlfriend, but... what's that special persona they mention? I don't see anything new in the compendium. Do I still need to find the fusing personas and be an appropriate level?

Yeah.

Oh, and are there any more special scenes after max social level? I'm in July.

You get date scenes with the girlfriends on specific days and a scene for each member of the team after you max their social link later in the game (which also unlocks their third tier persona).

Meier

I missed the explanation about the question marks under the next skill. How exactly do I ever cause them to be revealed?

Venfayth

I missed the explanation about the question marks under the next skill. How exactly do I ever cause them to be revealed?

That's how many skills remain for that Persona to learn. After you learn the next skill, one of the ones underneath moves up so you can see what it is.

FStop7

Banned
I don't like Yosuke. As a party member or a character.

I roll with Chie for physical and ice attacks, Yuki for heals and fire, Kanji for physical and electricity, and I'm kind of all over the place with debuffs, electricity, physical, and healing.

Any tips for the "Risette Fan" trophy? For hearing 250 lines?

Do I basically need to analyse a lot?

Don't use the same static party all the time. Be sure to switch your characters out from time to time, even just to gain a few levels as there are Risette specific lines for each character when they have a status effect, perform critical hits, etc.

TheChits

I don't like Yosuke. As a party member or a character.

I roll with Chie for physical and ice attacks, Yuki for heals and fire, Kanji for physical and electricity, and I'm kind of all over the place with debuffs, electricity, physical, and healing.

What is wrong with Brosuke? :(

SmithnCo

Don't use the same static party all the time. Be sure to switch your characters out from time to time, even just to gain a few levels as there are Risette specific lines for each character when they have a status effect, perform critical hits, etc.

Ah, thanks. I was going to roll with Chie/Yosuke/Kanji mostly but I'll switch it up for item grinding and whatnot then.

Tiu Neo

Ah, thanks. I was going to roll with Chie/Yosuke/Kanji mostly but I'll switch it up for item grinding and whatnot then.

Yeah. Do that, don't be too overleveled, and try to listen the lines when you get debuffs or ailments and you should be ok.

No problem. Since I was playing on very hard, I did most of my switching when I was either grinding for persona cards/skill upgrades/money/etc. Good luck!

Top Bottom