• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

~sigh~

This book trophy is just the worst. After gingerly trying to make sure I didn't miss the three books from the strength social link, I now have to grind the bath house to unlock a weapon in a quest for another book. :/

What is wrong with Brosuke? :(

He's a douche at times, and he's a jack of trades in battle which means that everyone outclasses him in one area. But damnit, he's my douche and I personally take him into every fight.

Meier

I don't like Yosuke. As a party member or a character.

I roll with Chie for physical and ice attacks, Yuki for heals and fire, Kanji for physical and electricity, and I'm kind of all over the place with debuffs, electricity, physical, and healing.

I used him up until the November boss fight. I have since switched to Naoto alongside Chie and Yukiko. Naoto doesn't have any "elemental weaknesses" but seems to take a shit-ton of damage from magic attacks.. I put on an evade magic accessory but have not seen it make the slightest bit of difference.

Kanji and Teddie have never been used in combat by me personally.

~sigh~

This book trophy is just the worst. After gingerly trying to make sure I didn't miss the three books from the strength social link, I now have to grind the bath house to unlock a weapon in a quest for another book. :/

He's a douche at times, and he's a jack of trades in battle which means that everyone outclasses him in one area. But damnit, he's my douche and I personally take him into every fight.

lol

I used him up until the November boss fight. I have since switched to Naoto alongside Chie and Yukiko. Naoto doesn't have any "elemental weaknesses" but seems to take a shit-ton of damage from magic attacks.. I put on an evade magic accessory but have not seen it make the slightest bit of difference.

Kanji and Teddie have never been used in combat by me personally.

Kanji is basically Chie but better at boss fights but not quite as good at random encounters.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
~sigh~

Tell me about it, I was bitching last night because somehow, at level 7, I got the book from the Strength Link. Really cheesed me.

Hard Boots is the weapon right? Or is it a different one?

Trigger

Tell me about it, I was bitching last night because somehow, at level 7, I got the book from the Strength Link. Really cheesed me.

Hard Boots is the weapon right? Or is it a different one?

Yeah, it's the Hard Boots. The enemies that are needed to get them seem far less frequent than I remember. Maybe I should have unlocked the weapon prior to the quest, but I didn't think to do so, and I'm not rewinding the three months I left that quest hanging.

Miker

Dammit, I just spoiled a massive part of Persona 4 for myself. I had just watched the shopping scene where they buy ingredients, and I wanted to show my girlfriend, who had just watched the anime but didn't play the game.

I was youtubing "Persona 4 shopping" to find the scene and a video titled something like (really big spoiler here!)
Persona 4 walkthrough: shopping and Nanako's death
was the top result. My own fault, I guess, but I didn't expect people who did walkthroughs to put such blatant spoilers into their video's freaking title. Seriously disappointed.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yeah, it's the Hard Boots. The enemies that are needed to get them seem far less frequent than I remember. Maybe I should have unlocked the weapon prior to the quest, but I didn't think to do so, and I'm not rewinding the three months I left that quest hanging.

I think I got enough while trying to take out the extra boss, but I don't remember. This trophy really is a pain in the dick.

I too wasn't going to back track about a month and a half to get the second book from the Strength SL. I have an earlier save, but I think you need to be 3 to get it. (at 4 on that save) but I got the third at 7. It's strange.

Trigger

I think I got enough while trying to take out the extra boss, but I don't remember. This trophy really is a pain in the dick.

I too wasn't going to back track about a month and a half to get the second book from the Strength SL. I have an earlier save, but I think you need to be 3 to get it. (at 4 on that save) but I got the third at 7. It's strange.

Yeah, it's wonky. On the bright side, after all this grinding I am rich.

Sophia

Dammit, I just spoiled a massive part of Persona 4 for myself. I had just watched the shopping scene where they buy ingredients, and I wanted to show my girlfriend, who had just watched the anime but didn't play the game.

I was youtubing "Persona 4 shopping" to find the scene and a video titled something like (really big spoiler here!)
was the top result. My own fault, I guess, but I didn't expect people who did walkthroughs to put such blatant spoilers into their video's freaking title. Seriously disappointed.

I know exactly which video you're talking about too. All of that person's videos are full of spoilers in the titles. >.<;

Lusankya

You shouldn't worry too much. Actually you aren't spoiled.

Miker

I didn't myself, no. But a friend of mine who was playing my copy of Persona 4 got the identity of the murderer spoiled thanks to 4chan.

Yeah, I can't see 4chan being too sensitive about spoilers :-/

You shouldn't worry too much. Actually you aren't spoiled.

Uh...okay. I'm not quite sure how I'm not spoiled, but I guess I'll find out in due time.

This is one of the most spoiled games on the internet these days really

I shouldn't be too surprised given that it first came out in 2008, but still.

Sophia

Will do. I probably won't be coming into this thread again out of paranoia :-|

Spoilers in this thread aren't too bad usually. However I did see someone post a massive spoiler in the other Persona 4 thread, which made me facepalm hard.

FStop7

Banned
I'm pretty sure I know who the killer is plus I'm definitely spoiled on another big reveal (one that is fairly obvious, but I had it spelled out)

I'm nearly at S. Link 10 with my fellow athletes. Go jocks!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What are the cast's good points? I know what's Yukiko, Teddie, and Kanji's strong points. Don't much about the rest.

I know that Naoto has no weaknesses but that's it.

Trigger

What are the cast's good points? I know what's Yukiko, Teddie, and Kanji's strong points. Don't much about the rest.

I know that Naoto has no weaknesses but that's it.

Chie is a weaker fight than Kanji, but she gets critical hits far easier. Naoto can wipe out parties with almighty or hama/mudo skills. Yosuke is a good support character as he can competently handle any role. His new skill even allows him to be a buffer/healer as well.

Chie is a weaker fight than Kanji, but she gets critical hits far easier. Naoto can wipe out parties with almighty or hama/mudo skills. Yosuke is a good support character as he can competently handle any role. His new skill even allows him to be a buffer/healer as well.

Naoto's access to -dyne spells and mind charge, along with almighty and hama/mudo makes her one of the most versatile out of the primary cast. I had her replace Yosuke in
Nanako's
dungeon and didn't look back.

Not only that, but she's the only person outside the MC that gets tetrakarn and makarakarn so she can act as an all-purpose support character as well.

Curufinwe

You're actually OK, and I think this thread is probably he only place you should look at for P4 stuff till you finish it.

Definitely stay away from anything about it on youtube.

A couple questions:

In the first proper dungeon, when is it okay to stop, and what floor do I start on when I come back? I just defeated the mini-boss (a knight).

And are there any guides out there that provide general tips to beginners? I don't want to follow a FAQ, but I'd like to read something that tells me what to watch out for, and broad advice about Persona fusion/what to have on you.

CSX

A couple questions:

In the first proper dungeon, when is it okay to stop, and what floor do I start on when I come back? I just defeated the mini-boss (a knight).

And are there any guides out there that provide general tips to beginners? I don't want to follow a FAQ, but I'd like to read something that tells me what to watch out for, and broad advice about Persona fusion/what to have on you.

Well coming mainly from my PS2 playthrough

1. You start on the highest last floor. You stop when you run out of SP lol. This will become less of a problem in later dungeons.

1. There will be times when you need to trigger an event(s) to open up the next story dungeon iirc. Simply just start talking to everyone when that happens. It will be obviously when this happens. And hell, you can always just ask on this thread!

2. Now i havent got to the first dungeon yet but i believe thanks to the new ability to select what skills are inherited in fusions, just start fusing to your likings :) Just make sure the persona you are making is better than the first two. ALso you can use the personas you obtain as after battle rewards as "fodder" for fusion. That way you wont have to go start buying your old personas back which will be available to you soon (if not now).

3. DO NOT EXPECT TO DO EVERYTHING ON FIRST PLAYTHROUGH!!! Just play to your likings. You want to do social links on a particular day and study the next? Do so.

Trigger

A couple questions:

The first question is up to you. Part of the fun of this game is managing the dungeon visits and school life. As for the second, you automatically start from the last floor you visited. This resets once you beat the boss of the dungeon.

No, most will spoil the plot honestly. You're better off asking here or just tinkering on your own.

Tiu Neo

A couple questions:

Stop when you feel you can't go ahead anymore. If you use the item to escape, you can return to the same floor you stoped. You have to finish the dungeon ultil the next foggy day, about two weeks from the day you can first enter the dungeon.

Tips for beginners? Hmmm... I'm not sure if there is a good spoiler free guide, but from the top of my head, i would say eat the special meat bowl at the ramen shop, on rainy days. That's one thing I wish I had learned earlier. Oh, if you're not sure on what to do, use the Vox Populi feature. It shows what other players did on the same day. You can also ask it here, theres always someone to help you here :D

Also, did you learn about the S Link system already? If you did, I would say it's a good idea to invest some time with your friends, sports club and cultural club.

Astra

I haven't touched this game seriously in weeks. I feel so ashamed of myself. I'm in a gaming funk now. I played just a bit last week, and finished the club dungeon. Now I'm in this BEARren land of gaming limbo.

cj_iwakura

That's great to know. I always assumed the reverse to be true since EP at least has the Persona name attached to it despite the whole PSP thing.

I assume it's a question of 'classic long-awaited amazing game never before localized on a system that's doing well' versus 'port of a game that's already been localized that won't sell on a dead system'.

That said, each and everyone here better buy Soul Hackers. It's twice the game Persona 4 is.

Sallokin

I assume it's a question of 'classic long-awaited amazing game never before localized on a system that's doing well' versus 'port of a game that's already been localized that won't sell on a dead system'.

That said, each and everyone here better buy Soul Hackers. It's twice the game Persona 4 is.

I've heard nothing but great things so you can count me in day -1 lol.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I need a 3DS first, will you buy me one for Christmas? I'll take a XL in blue.

I'm in January now and
I'm unlocking everyones level 3 persona. All my party was level 10 on their S.link including Naoto but the little hang out notification isn't appearing over her head

What's up with that?

carl-jung.jpg

So I just discovered who Carl Jung is and how the persona series is essentially based off of his teachings. Shit is fucking amazing. I can't believe atlus doesn't get credit for creating probably the best universe in a video game.

You wanna hear spoilers, before playing Persona 3, the comments section of a YouTube clip spoiled the ending where (P3 major end spoiler)
the MC dies,
so that ending definitely wasn't as powerful.

cj_iwakura

Well, anyone interested in Soul Hackers better be damn wary of youtube, because there's clips of boss fights that depict spoilers in preview images.

Sophia

So I just discovered who Carl Jung is and how the persona series is essentially based off of his teachings. Shit is fucking amazing. I can't believe atlus doesn't get credit for creating probably the best universe in a video game.

Lots of Nietzsche in there too. Persona 4 is practically based off "On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense."

Sera O

Banned
What is wrong with Brosuke? :(

It bugs me how Yosuke makes the girls uncomfortable
by pushing them into bikini-land just so he can leer for a little while
. That combined with his terror of
being in a tent with Kanji is not flattering and it seems maybe he's overcompensating.

His 'deep secret' is being bored in the country and seeking novelty? Quick, call the press. I don't recall much of his s-link besides "I work in a store and have to be nice to annoying staff. By the way I liked a girl who died."
He instigates fanservice, but he lacks the gleeful cluelessness that makes
new-legend Teddie
funny.

Partywise Yosuke's a generalist. His status spells are useful early on, and his final unique is good - but at that point, superfluous. At the moment I am sticking with Naoto, Kanji and Yukiko/
Teddie

Top Bottom