• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

mudkyp

I assume it's a question of 'classic long-awaited amazing game never before localized on a system that's doing well' versus 'port of a game that's already been localized that won't sell on a dead system'.

That said, each and everyone here better buy Soul Hackers. It's twice the game Persona 4 is.

Out of curiosity, how? Does it have better characters? Or a better battle system? Because to me Persona 4 has a pretty perfect cast and with the social link system, it allowed players to really get to know the characters. It would be really cool if Soul Hackers was similar in the ability to really get to know the characters.

cj_iwakura

Out of curiosity, how? Does it have better characters? Or a better battle system? Because to me Persona 4 has a pretty perfect cast and with the social link system, it allowed players to really get to know the characters. It would be really cool if Soul Hackers was similar in the ability to really get to know the characters.

Persona 4 is, when you get down to it, still about a bunch of high school kids. Soul Hackers is about a team of adult characters dealing with adult situations.

Also, there's rival gangs of Devil Summoners. In future-dystopian cities. It's cyberpunk.

It has a small cast, but like P4, they're all very well developed, and the combat system is delightful.

I think it has some of the coolest animations in a 2D battle system, like demon sprites being sliced in half or shot full of holes or blown away based on how you kill them.

And instead of Igor you get an immortal pirate captain and his robot maid and Bruce Campbell.

Sophia

Soul Hackers' animations are godamn amazing. Easily the best looking traditional SMT game. I'd like the final boss and some of the bonus bosses if not for spoilers. Some of the screen-wide attacks are too cool.

And instead of Igor you get an immortal pirate captain and his robot maid and Bruce Campbell.

Heh, Mary is essentially Aigis done ten years earlier. Same basic concepts and everything. Amazing how they planned that far ahead.

The first question is up to you. Part of the fun of this game is managing the dungeon visits and school life. As for the second, you automatically start from the last floor you visited. This resets once you beat the boss of the dungeon.

Stop when you feel you can't go ahead anymore. If you use the item to escape, you can return to the same floor you stoped. You have to finish the dungeon ultil the next foggy day, about two weeks from the day you can first enter the dungeon.

Tips for beginners? Hmmm... I'm not sure if there is a good spoiler free guide, but from the top of my head, i would say eat the special meat bowl at the ramen shop, on rainy days. That's one thing I wish I had learned earlier. Oh, if you're not sure on what to do, use the Vox Populi feature. It shows what other players did on the same day. You can also ask it here, theres always someone to help you here :D

Also, did you learn about the S Link system already? If you did, I would say it's a good idea to invest some time with your friends, sports club and cultural club.

Well coming mainly from my PS2 playthrough

1. You start on the highest last floor. You stop when you run out of SP lol. This will become less of a problem in later dungeons.

1. There will be times when you need to trigger an event(s) to open up the next story dungeon iirc. Simply just start talking to everyone when that happens. It will be obviously when this happens. And hell, you can always just ask on this thread!

2. Now i havent got to the first dungeon yet but i believe thanks to the new ability to select what skills are inherited in fusions, just start fusing to your likings :) Just make sure the persona you are making is better than the first two. ALso you can use the personas you obtain as after battle rewards as "fodder" for fusion. That way you wont have to go start buying your old personas back which will be available to you soon (if not now).

3. DO NOT EXPECT TO DO EVERYTHING ON FIRST PLAYTHROUGH!!! Just play to your likings. You want to do social links on a particular day and study the next? Do so.

Thanks, everyone. Was P3 the one where you could only warp out every 10 levels or so?

Question about S-Links: I want to make sure my main character is equipped with Personas corresponding to the relationships I plan on pursuing for that day? They get some kind of bonus as I advance?

Y'all are making it sound like I'll be fine if I just play it without worry, and I really hope you're right. I'm terrible at complex RPGs, but I despise playing with an FAQ.

Sallokin

Persona 4 is, when you get down to it, still about a bunch of high school kids. Soul Hackers is about a team of adult characters dealing with adult situations.

Also, there's rival gangs of Devil Summoners. In future-dystopian cities. It's cyberpunk.

It has a small cast, but like P4, they're all very well developed, and the combat system is delightful.

I think it has some of the coolest animations in a 2D battle system, like demon sprites being sliced in half or shot full of holes or blown away based on how you kill them.

Primary reasons I want to check it out.

cj_iwakura

Heh, Mary is essentially Aigis done ten years earlier. Same basic concepts and everything. Amazing how they planned that far ahead.

I played SH in raw Japanese, so I don't know Mary's story.
I have just as much reason to look forward to an official localization as everyone else.

Sophia

I played SH in raw Japanese, so I don't know Mary's story.
I have just as much reason to look forward to an official localization as everyone else.

Indeed. Same here. I actually used the wiki for a lot of story info. >_>;

One of the few games I've actually imported.

Trigger

Thanks, everyone. Was P3 the one where you could only warp out every 10 levels or so?

Question about S-Links: I want to make sure my main character is equipped with Personas corresponding to the relationships I plan on pursuing for that day? They get some kind of bonus as I advance?

Your responses during social link scenes gain a bonus if you have the corresponding persona equipped. It's not necessary, but it's a great help.

Y'all are making it sound like I'll be fine if I just play it without worry, and I really hope you're right. I'm terrible at complex RPGs, but I despise playing with an FAQ.

You will though. A second playthrough is mandatory anyway.

cj_iwakura

avui9.jpg

Feelings? Emotions? Mary doesn't trifle with those. You fuse your demons and get out.

Your responses during social link scenes gain a bonus if you have the corresponding persona equipped. It's not necessary, but it's a great help.

You will though. A second playthrough is mandatory anyway.

Much obliged!

One more question (for now!): what do Persona stats do, exactly? Do they affect my main character's stats?

Sophia

Much obliged!

One more question (for now!): what do Persona stats do, exactly? Do they affect my main character's stats?

Your Persona's stats are effectively your main character's stats.

Strength is how much damage physical and auto attacks do.
Magic is magical attacks.
Agility is speed in battle.
Endurance determines damage (NOT HP) taken by an attack in battle.
Luck effects a little bit of everything, but mostly crits.

Whatever Persona is your active, equipped one, is your stats. Something to take into account when switching Persona in battle, as you can only switch once.

Trigger

Much obliged!

As someone else put it in the thread, your persona is your stats. How a character performs in battle is more determined by their persona.

EDIT- Beaten.

FStop7

Banned
I know Ghost in the Shell is the Burger King of anime but I keep thinking how cool a Persona style RPG set in the GiTS universe would be.

CSX

Your Persona's stats are effectively your main character's stats.

Strength is how much damage physical and auto attacks do.
Magic is magical attacks.
Agility is speed in battle.
Endurance determines damage (NOT HP) taken by an attack in battle.
Luck effects a little bit of everything, but mostly crits.

Whatever Persona is your active, equipped one, is your stats. Something to take into account when switching Persona in battle, as you can only switch once.

I think luck also effects your chances of getting insta-killed. Then again "effects a little of everything" ;)

Sophia

I think luck also effects your chances of getting insta-killed. Then again "effects a little of everything" ;)

Yeah it has a factor in it. Weaknesses regarding instant kills are more of a factor tho. =P

I read the specifics a long time ago, but I forgot them now. ><;

Can someone briefly explain the fishing stuff? What does it impact in the actual game? Is it time intensive? Does doing things involved in it actually pass time, or can it be done whenever and not effect the calendar?

Trigger

Can someone briefly explain the fishing stuff? What does it impact in the actual game? Is it time intensive? Does doing things involved in it actually pass time, or can it be done whenever and not effect the calendar?

Fishing takes up whatever period of the day you do it in. You can get gag weapons and fish from it. The fish all restore health or SP. You need to unlock the fishing rod first to even fish. The fishing books will make fishing easier, but skill is still important. The rarer fish are important for quests, but it's not very important overall.

Yep.

That's him in the past, SH's version is him (much, much) later on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-8UIv7mjzs

There's the clip when you meet him in SH. (No spoilers, just amazing music.)

I know the general plot of Soul Hackers and such, and that it IS the same dude, but its still crazy that that's the same dude. Did he find the fountain of youth or somethin? Hah. I love the Mary tribute they had in the Raidou games though.

81-Up022-0120.jpg

Also, calling Raihou Rei Reiho was also funny

cj_iwakura

I know the general plot of Soul Hackers and such, and that it IS the same dude, but its still crazy that that's the same dude. Did he find the fountain of youth or somethin? Hah. I love the Mary tribute they had in the Raidou games though.

81-Up022-0120.jpg

Also, calling Raihou Rei Reiho was also funny

I believe the later games say he discovered the secret to immorality. Just what the heck that was, I have no clue, but he's way more serious in SH.

A bit sillier in the first DS game, I think. I can't wait to see how Atlus USA personify Captain Victor.

Oh my god, I never noticed that Mary reference.

Sera O

Banned

Overall fishing is unimportant, but if you're going for max on all S-Links you will need to fish for the final level on one of them. Actual fishing takes up a time block so it's better to save it for evening when there aren't so many ways to spend time. Your diligence stat affects the number of tries you get before you have to go home. Catching bait doesn't consume time.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
December spoilers: I can't believe that I screwed myself over by
quickly taking down Adachi rather than finishing up the social link with Marie.
I assumed that once I finished the dungeon, I'd have all those days left, not that there would be a time skip. Hiding the true ending behind rules that aren't transparent and don't follow the precedent up until that point is really irritating.

Trigger

December spoilers: I can't believe that I screwed myself over by
quickly taking down Adachi rather than finishing up the social link with Marie.
I assumed that once I finished the dungeon, I'd have all those days left, not that there would be a time skip. Hiding the true ending behind rules that aren't transparent and don't follow the precedent up until that point is really irritating.

You haven't missed the true ending; just the bonus dungeon. I was annoyed too in the original. The game doesn't warn of the timeskip at all.

CSX

Theres just something about playing this on a handheld with headphones better than on a TV.

Same was for P3P.

Alright time to see how well I remember this game. Time to blaze through first dungeon :)

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
You haven't missed the true ending; just the bonus dungeon. I was annoyed too in the original. The game doesn't warn of the timeskip at all.
Really? I looked at a true ending guide somebody earlier in the thread, and it seemed like finishing the bonus dungeon was instrumental in getting the true ending. What are the requirements for the true ending then? Do I have to max out all the social links?

CSX

holy shit they changed the shuffle time!!!!

So if i cancel the shuffle time, do i get to keep that one try and save it for another shuffle tme?

kuroshiki

Theres just something about playing this on a handheld with headphones better than on a TV.

Same was for P3P.

Alright time to see how well I remember this game. Time to blaze through first dungeon :)

This game features some amazing clarity with soundtrack. My Aurvana live headphone purchase was absolutely justified with this game.

Although I was totally disappointed with P3P's sound quality. Absolute garbage. -_-

kuroshiki

Really? I looked at a true ending guide somebody earlier in the thread, and it seemed like finishing the bonus dungeon was instrumental in getting the true ending. What are the requirements for the true ending then? Do I have to max out all the social links?

You are gonna miss the new epilogue hence the new true ending. sorry dude.

If you don't finish
marie's SL by end of december
then you are not going to see the new epilogue.

Trigger

Naw

Marie's social link only needs to be maxed for the bonus dungeon (which to be fair adds to the overall story), but isn't necessary for the true ending. For the true ending just talk with all the social links you've maxed, refuse to go home when the prompt asks, and then visit the food court one last time to start the true ending stuff. lol, it was far more of a pain in the original too.

If you don't finish
marie's SL by end of december
then you are not going to see the new epilogue.

True, but he can still do the true ending dungeon unless that's been changed too. The new epilogue makes the experience feel more complete, but if he just wants to see the basic true ending he can still get it.

mudkyp

Sold! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

kuroshiki

True, but he can still do the true ending dungeon unless that's been changed too. The new epilogue makes the experience feel more complete, but if he just wants to see the basic true ending he can still get it.

Yeah but that ending is same as PS2 version. The new epilogue is whole new ballpark. =x also the new epilogue features live version of Never more, too, which is nice touch.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Naw

Marie's social link only needs to be maxed for the bonus dungeon (which to be fair adds to the overall story), but isn't necessary for the true ending. For the true ending just talk with all the social links you've maxed, refuse to go home when the prompt asks, and then visit the food court one last time to start the true ending stuff. lol, it was far more of a pain in the original too.
Thanks for that. I was under the impression I had to max out all the social links and the game was starting to feel like a giant chore. You're becoming my source for P4 knowledge!

Yeah but that ending is same as PS2 version. The new epilogue is whole new ballpark. =x also the new epilogue also features live version of Never more, too, which is nice touch.
That's okay with me. Marie's easily my least favorite addition, so much so that I've been utilizing the skip during a lot of her sections. I'll look up the new epilogue online.

kuroshiki

Thanks for that. I was under the impression I had to max out all the social links and the game was starting to feel like a giant chore. You're becoming my source for P4 knowledge!

That's okay with me. Marie's easily my least favorite addition, so much so that I've been utilizing the skip during a lot of her sections. I'll look up the new epilogue online.

Marie was not that great character for me, too but
at the end when she publicly announces her love to you, and when I mean publicly, it can't be more public than what she did,
damn she just became my favorite gal.

I would like to see her more in either Persona 5 or any other persona project.

Also new epilogue is about.. 20 min long man. XD

Trigger

I liked Marie, but her whole arc feels sloppy and somewhat unnecessary. She doesn't ruin the main plot, but in hindsight it's not tied together as well as I'd expect from the writers.

lol, maybe you dodged a bullet then?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Marie was not that great character for me, too but
at the end when she publicly announces her love to you, and when I mean publicly, it can't be more public than what she did,
damn she just became my favorite gal.

I would like to see her more in either Persona 5 or any other persona project.

Also new epilogue is about.. 30 min long man. XD
I'd prefer she, or any other character besides Igor for that matter, didn't return. The Persona 5 speculation thread was kind of overwhelming, as I like that this is a series with tenuous connections for fans that doesn't let fan service and little nudges get in the way of its primary story. As somebody who could not be less interested in the series' lore, I'd like to go into Persona 5 without feeling like I'm missing something.

That's okay! It would be thirty minutes long on my computer or on my Vita. The game's story sequences don't have much interactivity, so I'm not missing anything by watching it all online.

I liked Marie, but her whole arc feels sloppy and somewhat unnecessary. She doesn't ruin the main plot, but in hindsight it's not tied together as well as I'd expect from the writers.

lol, maybe you dodged a bullet then?
Yeah, I don't think she actively detracts from the game, but I feel like it's easy to tell what's been added from the original, although that could be since I played half of it when it was originally released. She just feels extraneous, and I don't enjoy being with her. Of course, I don't enjoy most of the social links, and I wish Yukiko would stop expecting me to, you know, spend time with her. I only started dating her for the trophy. Ugh.

kuroshiki

Speaking of Persona 5 speculation, I hope to god Atlus doesn't do any shitty Arc System Works crap.

I was absolutely horrified when Persona 4 Arena story resembles that infamous 'guilty gear' storyline. (Remember 'that man' from Guilty Gear which didn't show up at all even though franchise basically died?)

Please don't let any of incompetent ASW writer touch your thing, atlus, please.

okay its 4/29 evening, and I'm hanging out with Dojima and the girl. They asked about going somewhere on vacation and I gave an answer like I would go. Did that question mean anything? Like did I lock myself into doing something on some day in the future, or can you just respond in any way to that question?

Top Bottom