• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

I've been searching for shady student for a month or so. Still can't find him. Maybe I just encountered a glitch? Oh well.

The Power Castles are just giving me fine coal. I guess I have to complete that quest first before it gives me the power rocks.

Oh, that's what the guide I read said. Normally you just to talk to the person and start the quest in order for the drop to appear. Maybe it's the wrong enemy I'm thinking of then?

And, about the Jester s.link:
I am on 5 with him, and it is novermber 4th. did i screw this one up?

Yes.

PrimeRib_

This is my 1st foray into Persona - been playing the game for a few days now. Truly addicting.

A few things I've been searching for answers to, but haven't found a true online guide or anything to clue me in on the basics.

(1) What's the most effective Fusion strategy? Not sure what's "good" or "bad" here ...
(2) I completed quests 1-7 fine, but have huge gaps between here and 18, and again in the mid-20's. I imagine quests are available on particular days - is there a guidemap or something to follow here?

I liken it to Final Fantasy syndrome where if you didn't purchase the 200-page strategy guide, you'd find out too late that by opening the third chest in a beginner dungeon, you'd blow your only shot at uncovering the penultimate end-game weapon. I am assuming this to be one of those games and have been afraid to collectively continue without some form of checking to make sure I'm doing it right. lol

Love Chie so far though, the voice acting between her and especially Kanji are fantastic.

I am such a dog. "Intimate" with Chie, Yukiko, Rise, Naoto and now Ayane. Some hearts are gonna get broken!

Gcp1K.jpg

Didn't Kanji say that Marie was the youngest, and still in middle school? If Rise and Kanji are 15-ish, that would make Marie only 14. Weren't most of the characters in P3 17 or 18? (with the exception of the kid?)

Trigger

This is my 1st foray into Persona - been playing the game for a few days now. Truly addicting.

A few things I've been searching for answers to, but haven't found a true online guide or anything to clue me in on the basics.

(1) What's the most effective Fusion strategy? Not sure what's "good" or "bad" here ...
(2) I completed quests 1-7 fine, but have huge gaps between here and 18, and again in the mid-20's. I imagine quests are available on particular days - is there a guidemap or something to follow here?

1)What's most effective is based upon your needs, but you'll get stronger personae if you stick to the arcana of the people you have the strongest bond to. The only bad fusion is one that serves no purpose.

2) Pretty much every quest is based on talking to random npcs around town. There's no in game guide or anything as to what order to do them in. Some aren't available every day, but none are absolutely vital unless you're trophy hunting (which is based saved for a secondary playthrough). Gaps in the quest list are normal.

Syrinx

Early December. I've reached
the first major fork in the road.

This...isn't nearly as clear cut as the major decision in P3. By the time you had to make that decision, it was pretty clear what you had to do. But not this one. And yet...I feel like the decisions, in essence, are the exact same.

I'm not sure I want to know the way to get the good ending yet. I just want to know: Is the decision I make here critical to getting this? Will I get the good/bad ending based on what I do here? I highly suspect that the answer is yes, but I'd just like confirmation.

PrimeRib_

1)What's most effective is based upon your needs, but you'll get stronger personae if you stick to the arcana of the people you have the strongest bond to. The only bad fusion is one that serves no purpose.

2) Pretty much every quest is based on talking to random npcs around town. There's no in game guide or anything as to what order to do them in. Some aren't available every day, but none are absolutely vital unless you're trophy hunting (which is based saved for a secondary playthrough). Gaps in the quest list are normal.

THANK YOU

I'm probably not alone here, as I'm playing as we speak. Love portable gaming.
One more question, if you don't mind. Is there an optimal strategy for the Shuffle rounds? It's been awhile for the RPG basics to set back in properly, and thus far, I understand the necessity to sometimes choose a negative card (half exp or gold) in order to yield more "turns" - but when faced with new Personas, for example. How can one tell to choose properly between a level 20 Hiero or a level 20 Fool? Is there a way to tell the bonus structure of one versus the other or is it something just learned as you progress through the game and become more familiar with this structure?

Thanks again!

Trigger

Is there an optimal strategy for the Shuffle rounds? It's been awhile for the RPG basics to set back in properly, and thus far, I understand the necessity to sometimes choose a negative card (half exp or gold) in order to yield more "turns" - but when faced with new Personas, for example. How can one tell to choose properly between a level 20 Hiero or a level 20 Fool? Is there a way to tell the bonus structure of one versus the other or is it something just learned as you progress through the game and become more familiar with this structure?

Thanks again!

The optimal strategy IMO is to focus on cards that benefit your current objective (SP cards for exploration, exp cards when grinding, etc). The personae of each arcana have a certain theme to them. Lovers personae specializing in healing, Strength personae have more physical attacks, etc. You'll get the grasp of that as the game goes on. No arcana is really superior to another so choose whichever persona you like. The persona that drop during shuffle are pretty common and likely to be weaker than the ones you're carrying anyway.

I'm not sure if that answers your question?

Early December. I've reached
the first major fork in the road.

This...isn't nearly as clear cut as the major decision in P3. By the time you had to make that decision, it was pretty clear what you had to do. But not this one. And yet...I feel like the decisions, in essence, are the exact same.

I'm not sure I want to know the way to get the good ending yet. I just want to know: Is the decision I make here critical to getting this? Will I get the good/bad ending based on what I do here? I highly suspect that the answer is yes, but I'd just like confirmation.

Yes.

PrimeRib_

The optimal strategy IMO is to focus on cards that benefit your current objective (SP cards for exploration, exp cards when grinding, etc). The personae of each arcana have a certain theme to them. Lovers personae specializing in healing, Strength personae have more physical attacks, etc. You'll get the grasp of that as the game goes on. No arcana is really superior to another so choose whichever persona you like. The persona that drop during shuffle are pretty common and likely to be weaker than the ones you're carrying anyway.

I'm not sure if that answers your question?

It does, actually. I suspected as much, just haven't found my rhythm with the game and chosen a set path, just yet. Still feeling all the options out and learning as I go.

Thanks!

Noi

Leveled up once and dodged a bullet against the dungeon 3 midboss when we whiffed Virus Wave on the MC, so I could land Tarunda and whittle him down. Still a jerk.

Gonna fight
Shadow Teddie
before my MC even hits level 20. Wish me luck!

Edit: lol nevermind, I can't even survive past the boss right before him.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Didn't Kanji say that Marie was the youngest, and still in middle school? If Rise and Kanji are 15-ish, that would make Marie only 14. Weren't most of the characters in P3 17 or 18? (with the exception of the kid?)

Wellllllllllll.... no, I think he said looks like.

Anyway,

Major Spoilers.

Technically, Marie is older than all of them, really. because... she's part of Izanami

Meier

(mild relationship spoiler)
You should still get your christmas date event. lol, a small silver lining.

Whoa!
I turned down Yukiko and Chie and went with Rise. I was surprised she wanted to "stay the night." For a game with sexual innuendo and stuff, I was a little surprised that it just went black and was the next day after that. Do all of the girls offer to stay over?

Jeels

Also, for Quest 2, I talked to the girl enough to report back to the guy, but he's disappeared. He was there all last week too. I thought you had until December for quests?

Trigger

So going off this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/wiki/3-1-costume-guide-

Did I miss the gag glasses if I never went into the TV world on 5/7?

I really don't like how much is missable. :(

No, you shouldn't. Have you tried talking to Teddie anyway?

RE The Quest: Maybe some weather condition has caused him to disappear?

Whoa!
I turned down Yukiko and Chie and went with Rise. I was surprised she wanted to "stay the night." For a game with sexual innuendo and stuff, I was a little surprised that it just went black and was the next day after that. Do all of the girls offer to stay over?

lol, Rise certainly the more provacative choice, but
all dates end with MC "spending lots of time" with the girl.

Syrinx

Made it to December 4. Or 5.

Okay, I admit it, I pussied out and looked up what to do here. At least the thing walked me through the conversation so I wouldn't fuck it up.

We have discovered that...DUN DUN DDUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNN...Namatame is in fact not the killer. He actually was trying to save them from the actual killer. He didn't realize the TV world such a dangerous place.

So, we're back to trying to figure out the killer. Square one, basically. Sigh.

Whoa!

The only reason why the game didn't show anything is because of: 1.The bright and happy tone 2.This is not some japanese erotic game. A sex scene would have been really tasteless imo. But yeah It's really likely that the MC did something with one of the girls. Especially rise. Oh and all the girls spend a night.

Meier

The only reason why the game didn't show anything is because of: 1.The bright and happy tone 2.This is not some japanese erotic game. A sex scene would have been really tasteless imo. But yeah It's really likely that the MC did something with one of the girls. Especially rise. Oh and all the girls spend a night.

Continued thoughts from above:
Haha, I didn't expect there to be any sort of cutscene showing them banging or something but I did think the evening would progress a little further. Maybe show them kiss or at least sit next to one another. All they've shown is hugging! Rise's a minx so I thought maybe she was the only one who went all the way.

Can I get some help on the optional boss in Yukiko's Castle? I just went after a bit of grinding (and I have some free time between kidnappings) but his Rampage attack wiped my entire gat damn party, his first action.

Meier

Can I get some help on the optional boss in Yukiko's Castle? I just went after a bit of grinding (and I have some free time between kidnappings) but his Rampage attack wiped my entire gat damn party, his first action.

That guy was super hard. I went back much later and obviously beat him with relative ease but he absolutely destroyed me at the time. If he's beatable around the time you initially can reach him, I'd be surprised.

ckohler

Serious question: Will the other girl characters hate me when I turn them down and choose my beloved Chie as my girlfriend? In other words, does the game punish you (you miss story or characters turn mean) if you don't date them?

Trigger

Serious question: Will the other girl characters hate me when I turn them down and choose my beloved Chie as my girlfriend? In other words, does the game punish you (you miss story or characters turn mean) if you don't date them?

You're not punished for choosing one girl at all. The romances are wonky in that the game only occasionally acknowledges the relationship at all. I maxed Chie and started dating her in June or so. Come October and Yukiko is flirting with me in her own social link. You can turn down one or try to romance all.

Sophia

He is beatable at that point, but he's EXTREMELY difficult. Stick to Ice and Electrical attacks, Yukiko will be healing the entire fight, because the boss absorbs Fire. Your protagonist's job is mainly to get Sukunda and Tarunda up on the boss as much as possible. Bring lots of Revival beads, and if you can find a Persona that resists physical, use it.

That guy was super hard. I went back much later and obviously beat him with relative ease but he absolutely destroyed me at the time. If he's beatable around the time you initially can reach him, I'd be surprised.

It's beatable, but unless they changed the rewards around for Golden, it's not really worth it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Nope. Hell, it barely mentions it at times that you're dating one of the characters.

Sophia

I am now entering a dungeon
Mitsuo
in mid July.

How far am I into the game?

The end of that dungeon was the halfway point in the original game. Golden has an additional dungeon however, so once you finish it you'll be a little less than half way done.

FStop7

Banned
The end of that dungeon was the halfway point in the original game. Golden has an additional dungeon however, so once you finish it you'll be a little less than half way done.

Wow. and here I thought I was getting close to the end game. Good! I'm going to be bummed when it finally does end, though I plan on jumping straight into P3 FES (which I've owned for years but never played more than a bit) or P3 Portable.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Does anyone mind helping me out, I heard there was a true ending regarding certain questions you answer, at what point does this start taking place? I've
found namatame and nanako at the end of her castle
. Is this where the line of questioning starts, or maybe it's a little later on? Thanks guys.

Wow. and here I thought I was getting close to the end game. Good! I'm going to be bummed when it finally does end, though I plan on jumping straight into P3 FES (which I've owned for years but never played more than a bit) or P3 Portable.

Goin from p4 to p3 is mostly a bad time for people. I did it fine, but there are a big few who could not deal with it.

Sophia

Does anyone mind helping me out, I heard there was a true ending regarding certain questions you answer, at what point does this start taking place? I've
found namatame and nanako at the end of her castle
. Is this where the line of questioning starts, or maybe it's a little later on? Thanks guys.

Golden gives you a bit of a heads up, however for a more direct answer,
it starts when you're talking to Yosuke in Namatame's room with the rest of the gang on 12/03.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Golden gives you a bit of a heads up, however for a more direct answer,
it starts when you're talking to Yosuke in Namatame's room with the rest of the gang on 12/03.

Thanks a lot, that means I have plenty of time. Also I heard on another forum that I should get adachi's rank up to 6 before november, what is the significance of doing so?

Sophia

Thanks a lot, that means I have plenty of time. Also I heard on another forum that I should get adachi's rank up to 6 before november, what is the significance of doing so?

There are additional scenes for doing so. It's not required to get the true ending, however.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
There are additional scenes for doing so. It's not required to get the true ending, however.

That eases my mind tremendously. If anything I will be doing another playthrough so I'll probably accomplish that by then. Thanks a lot for clearing up these things with me, I would look them up myself but I was already spoiled after looking at trophies, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Sera O

Banned

I'm pretty sure rampage is predictable and avoidable.
It seemed like he'd only rampage in response to the entire party attacking in the preceding turn. I know the first playthrough I came back after Kanji's dungeon, but in NG+ he took a while (just using the Izanagi I got at beginning of the game), but he never rampaged.

I'm not sure if it was just lucky, but given how long it can take to whittle him down, I think it's avoidable. I basically had MC and Chie attack and Yosuke and Yukiko just guard or heal. It seemed he only used rampage in response to every party member taking an offensive action that turn.
Can someone confirm it?

Top Bottom