• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Jintor

Finally starting my game.

First job: think up a decent name that isn't quite Charlie Tunoku.

I'm thinking Gibson Ayumaki.

also: new OP is balls, but fantastic music.

First time playing a Persona game, but I wrapped a bunch of JRPGs this year. Normal or Hard? Eh... I'll just roll with Normal. Save hard for NG+

Is this opening new, or has it been that long since I watched the Endurance Run for the first time?
What do you mean, the start of the game? What's new is you meeting Marie at the train station and being able to explore the shopping district for a little bit.

What about the Jester social link ? Do I have to max it before December too ?

Being able to change characters' outfit à la Persona 3 FES is great. I love
Teddie's summer clothes and agent suit

What about the Jester social link ? Do I have to max it before December too ?

Being able to change characters' outfit à la Persona 3 FES is great. I love
Teddie's summer clothes and agent suit
You have to get it to level 6 before November, I think. The next bunch of ranks will be mostly automatic.

Poyunch

So I needed some money to order from Tanaka and I ended up grinding a bunch in order to make the most of my time of wasted rainy day. I ended up with me and Yukiko around level 70 and everyone else in the mid 60's. This was August. Heh.

Naoto's shadow was extremely easy as a result of this.

Jintor

Old Chie's voice was always oddly mature for her appearance... which I kind of liked. This one fits her appearance more but now it's unfamiliar... oh well.

Man, starting again is weird (well, not that I've played this before, but after watching the Endurance Run twice and watching the anime like three times it's pretty much imprinted on me). No-one knowing who you are... this is why I generally don't replay games. Rebuilding relationships is weiiiiiird.

Dantis

So, I got P4A tonight. First impression is that is awesome. Wow. Really accessible for a 2D fighter (auto-combo is a dream) and just dripping with fanservice. I mean, it's the crux of the game! Super flashy/stylish, great great remixes. They really went HAM on this!

Yuck.

Now who'd've thought that playing 9 Persons, 9 Hours, 9 Doors on my DSiXL would have helped me with Persona 4 Golden on my Vita
I know what a nonagenarian is!

I'm at level 70 in October... going into the dungeons to find all the Quest items is grinding me up the levels...

TheContact

I'm a couple hours into this game and I'm blown away at how engrossing it is. The voice acting is superb and the story is actually interesting. Wish I could comment more on gameplay but I have only just fought my first major boss battle

Someone clarify me on this. What is the difference on Red Shadows and Black Shadows. And on sizes too. I see small ones and huge ones

Red means it's the hard enemy variety of that area

The size refers to the level/no. enemies so, a small shadow could be one moderately powerful enemy or a group of super weak ones

Someone clarify me on this. What is the difference on Red Shadows and Black Shadows. And on sizes too. I see small ones and huge ones
Red shadows are stronger and usually contain shadows rare for the floor. The size of the shadows corresponds to the strength of the shadows you're going to face (relative to your own abilities), it also corresponds to the amount of them. You'll also notice that the same shadows in battle may vary in size, this corresponds to their strength.

Omikaru

I beat the Reaper last night, and in November's dungeon too. Earliest I've ever done it in P4 (I'm pretty sure I did it in the December dungeon last time), so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

That said, it was still a pretty gruelling battle, but nowhere near as tough as it was in P3. Man, he was a fucking arsehole in that game.

neoemonk

So I'm not sure if this is coincidence or not but I'd like to share some observations and see what others think.

One of the techniques someone shared with me to complete dungeons in one day was to go back to an easier dungeon and rely on the SOS system to refill SP for party members. I returned to Yukiko's Castle for the second and third dungeons using this technique and it went fine. However, for the fourth dungeon on, I was providing aid to several people but rarely receiving it.

I'm working on the fifth dungeon now, and once again I needed an SP refill. Headed back to Yukiko's Castle and got no help, even though I was providing a lot of it. I decided to move up to the third dungeon and immediately started getting one to two people assisting on a regular basis.

My theory was that once you outlevel a dungeon support is no longer provided and you have to do the SP refill in a later dungeon. Is there any merit to this theory or was it just a coincidence? I don't know if this is common knowledge or not.

Omikaru

So I'm not sure if this is coincidence or not but I'd like to share some observations and see what others think.

One of the techniques someone shared with me to complete dungeons in one day was to go back to an easier dungeon and rely on the SOS system to refill SP for party members. I returned to Yukiko's Castle for the second and third dungeons using this technique and it went fine. However, for the fourth dungeon on, I was providing aid to several people but rarely receiving it.

I'm working on the fifth dungeon now, and once again I needed an SP refill. Headed back to Yukiko's Castle and got no help, even though I was providing a lot of it. I decided to move up to the third dungeon and immediately started getting one to two people assisting on a regular basis.

My theory was that once you outlevel a dungeon support is no longer provided and you have to do the SP refill in a later dungeon. Is there any merit to this theory or was it just a coincidence? I don't know if this is common knowledge or not.

That might be the case. I've never tried that before, mostly because Rise is so overpowered in this game that I never thought I'd need it once you max her social link and level her some.

dan2026

What is everyone's opinion on Persona 2?

Was thinking of getting it on the Vita.

Basically all I know about it is that you fight
Hitler
for some reason and the gameplay is very different to 3 + 4.

Omikaru

Hitler

It's a lot shorter. I beat it in ~20 hours or so. I can't remember exactly how long I played for. It's apparently a bit easier on PSP compared to the PSone version, but it can be tough at times. But that's mostly because its archaic compared to P3 & P4. It definitely feels like a product of its era. There's no social links, but there is an interesting "rumor" mechanic that I think was grossly underutilised. And in combat you can either fight the monsters, or talk to them and attempt to persuade them to help you out. I think that was taken from P1, but I've never played that game so I couldn't tell you. Also, the writing isn't also up to snuff with P3 and P4, though I'm not sure if that's just a translation issue or the fact that it's really not as good.

And yes,
The Fuhrer
is in the game, wearing sunglasses no less.

Salaadin

So Im at 82 hours and I just beat
Adachi followed by giant eyeball shitty fog guy. He was a pain in the ass because I burned a lot of SP on Adachi. Ended up getting him to ~30% when I had to have 2 characters beat on him while another restored SP to Yukiko so she could heal. She was pretty much empty by the end. Glad thats over.
Fun fights to cap off a fun dungeon.

The game is winding down now. I can feel it. I dont want it to end :(

Tiu Neo

Just got to the Void Quest dungeon and love the look of it.

Yes! My favorite dungeon :D

So Im at 82 hours and I just beat
Adachi followed by giant eyeball shitty fog guy. He was a pain in the ass because I burned a lot of SP on Adachi. Ended up getting him to ~30% when I had to have 2 characters beat on him while another restored SP to Yukiko so she could heal. She was pretty much empty by the end. Glad thats over.
Fun fights to cap off a fun dungeon.

The game is winding down now. I can feel it. I dont want it to end :(

I know the feeling :( I took one week to get to this dungeon, and another to beat the game, just because I didn't want it to end :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Hitler

The battle system is dated but the story is fantastic.

November spoilers:
beat Nanatame in one go. Amazing how a few levels and a couple of fusings can make you stronger.

I'm kinda worried though, cuz I'm 43 hours in and already in November. I remember putting 80 hours in the original.

What gives?

Just finished the main stuff and I'm about to start on the optional stuff/epilogue.

First time I've played through since early 2009 and man, you guys weren't lying when you said that the Vita version is broken with how easy it is.

November spoilers:
beat Nanatame in one go. Amazing how a few levels and a couple of fusings can make you stronger.

I'm kinda worried though, cuz I'm 43 hours in and already in November. I remember putting 80 hours in the original.

What gives?
You know what youre doing instead of flailing around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Plus fusion search is there now and the new s link abilities as well as reordering of them and moves help out.

Trigger

November spoilers:

What gives?

Golden is far easier than the original. The bonus dungeon and true ending stuff should help pad out your playthrough.

Golden is far easier than the original. The bonus dungeon and true ending stuff should help pad out your playthrough.

I'm concerned that I won't acess the extra stuff cuz I didn't level up
Adachi
SL soon enough, although I did Max
Marie
but did not romance her. :/

Adachi
Marie
The extra stuff when it comes to the former is new scenes and dialogue for his social link as well as the ending, as well as his persona. It makes him more fleshed out

Trigger

Adachi
Marie

Well, romancing her wasn't necessary. The Adachi stuff does open up a new bad ending, but it's not a huge addition to the main story.

I know this much, i will fight and beat the true end boss this time around. When I played thd original PS2 version I ended up with the bad ending (spoiler)
where Yu leaves the town suddenly
and then reloaded and fought the (spoiler)
giant Eye boss
but heard that there was an actual true end boss (spoiler)
a goddess or something.

Ponn

Banned
I've already started my 2nd playthrough. I really don't like using guides but I do want to platinum. I know its hard to get all max SL's in first playthrough but is it easy enough in 2nd playthrough to do without using a strict guide as long as I know to do certain stuff
like getting Adachi to level 6 early, stopping strength at 4 till august (for my books I missed in 1st playthrough), can't think of anything else

I've already started my 2nd playthrough. I really don't like using guides but I do want to platinum. I know its hard to get all max SL's in first playthrough but is it easy enough in 2nd playthrough to do without using a strict guide as long as I know to do certain stuff
like getting Adachi to level 6 early, stopping strength at 4 till august (for my books I missed in 1st playthrough), can't think of anything else
Its super easy since youll most likely have maxed out traits, access to all your Personas and extra time with December - mid February

Ponn

Banned
Its super easy since youll most likely have maxed out traits, access to all your Personas and extra time with December - mid February

Great thanks. My main concern was I didn't get the book trophy first time around so I do have to do that at night but I could always collect them and have a save I could go back to just to power read for the trophy.

Top Bottom