• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Dantis

Hey there Persona friends, do I order the Golden soundtrack or the Nocturne soundtrack? Catherine, Nocturne and Golden are the only OSTs I don't own, so I'm going to get them ordered next week. Definitely getting Catherine, because I'd forgotten how good some of the stuff on it is, but not sure on Golden or Nocturne. Both have a few tracks I like, and a lot that I don't care for. But which should I buy?

Sera O

Banned
Hey there Persona friends, do I order the Golden soundtrack or the Nocturne soundtrack? Catherine, Nocturne and Golden are the only OSTs I don't own, so I'm going to get them ordered next week. Definitely getting Catherine, because I'd forgotten how good some of the stuff on it is, but not sure on Golden or Nocturne. Both have a few tracks I like, and a lot that I don't care for. But which should I buy?

I'd go with Nocturne but you're right they both uneven and just a matter of taste for the style used. I think P4's music is mostly weaker than P3's for the poppy style. The garage-band aesthetic is nice, but I don't actually like the songs or execution. I love Snowflakes and the added battle theme with 'step up to the plate', but 6 of the 9 dungeon themes are really irritating. Velvet room and s-link music seems same as P3, etc. Nocturne has some fun atmospheric stuff in it with organs and the buried creepy yelling in the battle themes.

Sophia

Golden's soundtrack is like 10 tracks. Nocturne's soundtrack is godly. Why would you pick anything but Nocturne's?

Dantis

Golden's soundtrack is like 10 tracks. Nocturne's soundtrack is godly. Why would you pick anything but Nocturne's?

I don't like the battle tracks. I feel like Meguro only worked out how to do battle music once he hit DDS. Nocturne's title loops are ace, and so is some of the dungeon music. I'm just not sure I'd listen to it.

Golden... I dunno. I think I'd probably only listen to Snowflakes. Maybe Memory and Shadow World? I only really want that because it's my missing Persona CD. :p

Sophia

I don't like the battle tracks. I feel like Meguro only worked out how to do battle music once he hit DDS. Nocturne's title loops are ace, and so is some of the dungeon music. I'm just not sure I'd listen to it.

Golden... I dunno. I think I'd probably only listen to Snowflakes. Maybe Memory and Shadow World? I only really want that because it's my missing Persona CD. :p

Someone who doesn't like the battle music in Nocturne? Whoa...

At any rate, the OST has lots of awesome tracks on it. Like this one. I still think it'd be a better buy than Golden's OST, which is like Persona 3 Portable and more supplements the main soundtrack.

November boss spoilers:
after getting my ass handed to me twice, I've gone back and I'm trying to level up to 60 and fuze some strong demons.

Gotta a Kinki Ki that's null to physical. And Finnaly got Megido spell with a Sucubus. Any other suggestions?

At the moment I'm usingTeddy for support ( healing and buffing), Naoto and Kanji on offense and MC switching between support avd offense.

Trigger

November boss spoilers:
after getting my ass handed to me twice, I've gone back and I'm trying to level up to 60 and fuze some strong demons.

Gotta a Kinki Ki that's null to physical. And Finnaly got Megido spell with a Sucubus. Any other suggestions?

At the moment I'm usingTeddy for support ( healing and buffing), Naoto and Kanji on offense and MC switching between support avd offense.

He doesn't reflect the elements he throws at you, so have a persona that can cast makarakarn is pretty handy. You should be rolling in dough by that too, so dropping osme cash on heal all items to help save SP is also an option.

Dantis

Someone who doesn't like the battle music in Nocturne? Whoa...

At any rate, the OST has lots of awesome tracks on it. Like this one. I still think it'd be a better buy than Golden's OST, which is like Persona 3 Portable and more supplements the main soundtrack.

What I like about Meguro's post-Nocturne battle tracks (Nearly every single one, no less) is his strong, melodic choruses. Nocturne's music is much more typically gamey.

I think that's the soundtrack I'll get though. I love Snowflakes, but maybe not £20 worth of love. :p

Sophia

What I like about Meguro's post-Nocturne battle tracks (Nearly every single one, no less) is his strong, melodic choruses. Nocturne's music is much more typically gamey.

I think that's the soundtrack I'll get though. I love Snowflakes, but maybe not £20 worth of love. :p

Not all of them were "gamey", this one for example. But I don't think that's on the main Nocturne soundtrack :(

Can I get some Persona Fusion advice? I've just been killing time post-Yukiko and I'm at a loss as to what I should make. I messed around for a bit but things didn't "feel" right, so I re-loaded. Here's what I've got:

Ghoul, 9
Eligor, 15
Cu Sith, 12
Valkyrie, 12
Senri, 9
Forneus, 8
Izanagi, 9
Yomotsu-Shikome, 7

I really need to get rid of Izanagi and Valkyrie in particular, as neither Persona has anything left to learn. In that case I need something with good electrical abilities because none of my party members have that covered.

Are Dark/Light-based Persona very good? I'm having a hard time fitting them into my line-up.

Can you date Margret ? I mean she just seems so uninterested in me from a intimate level. She has the "all work and no play"/No bullshit vibe. It's unfortunate because I would love to summon Mara inside her and add her into my harem.

Sophia

Can I get some Persona Fusion advice? I've just been killing time post-Yukiko and I'm at a loss as to what I should make. I messed around for a bit but things didn't "feel" right, so I re-loaded. Here's what I've got:

Ghoul, 9
Eligor, 15
Cu Sith, 12
Valkyrie, 12
Senri, 9
Forneus, 8
Izanagi, 9
Yomotsu-Shikome, 7

I really need to get rid of Izanagi and Valkyrie in particular, as neither Persona has anything left to learn. In that case I need something with good electrical abilities because none of my party members have that covered.

Are Dark/Light-based Persona very good? I'm having a hard time fitting them into my line-up.

Dark and Light attacks are instant kill attacks. With Dark/Light-based, there's two trains of thought. You can either make them a one trick pony and give them skills like Hama/Mudo Boost to support those attacks (but this makes em near-useless for bosses), or you can have them double up on a function at the cost of making them not as useful on random encounters.

What does your Senri have, curiously? At level 11 it learns Media, which is pretty useful early on, so if it's got like debuffs or an element not covered by the others, it's worth keeping. Otherwise you could fuse it away. Izanagi's buffs and debuffs are the most useful things it provides, so whatever you fuse, try to keep some of those.

Here's a fusion chart courtesy of GameFAQs if you're interested in getting more in-depth with fusion.
Although if you're not running into any obstacles, you probably don't need to be doing much fusion.

cj_iwakura

Can you date Margret ? I mean she just seems so uninterested in me from a intimate level. She has the "all work and no play"/No bullshit vibe. It's unfortunate because I would love to summon Mara inside her and add her into my harem.

No, but
you can damn sure kiss her.

Damn,
Marie's
dungeon sucks ass

I think
they intentionally made it shitty and unrewarding as not to unbalance the final dungeon, but still. No SP, no hands, no equips, no items, barely any xp rewarded and it's ridiculously easy with everything being weak to everything. There was one mildly challenging battle (Heaven Tower or something) but all in all... meh

Sweet music though

About 9 hours in, just finished the part where
you save Yukiko
. I'm really liking it. Even though I've played this game a lot now, I'm still overwhelmed by how many choices you have to make and I often feel like I'm not making the most of each day or spending my time wisely. But I think I like this feeling of uncertainty, haha.

Trigger

Damn,
Marie's
dungeon sucks ass

I think
they intentionally made it shitty and unrewarding as not to unbalance the final dungeon, but still. No SP, no hands, no equips, no items, barely any xp rewarded and it's ridiculously easy with everything being weak to everything. There was one mildly challenging battle (Heaven Tower or something) but all in all... meh

Sweet music though

Yeah, they had to balance out how strong your party is.

Dark and Light attacks are instant kill attacks. With Dark/Light-based, there's two trains of thought. You can either make them a one trick pony and give them skills like Hama/Mudo Boost to support those attacks (but this makes em near-useless for bosses), or you can have them double up on a function at the cost of making them not as useful on random encounters.

What does your Senri have, curiously? At level 11 it learns Media, which is pretty useful early on, so if it's got like debuffs or an element not covered by the others, it's worth keeping. Otherwise you could fuse it away. Izanagi's buffs and debuffs are the most useful things it provides, so whatever you fuse, try to keep some of those.

Here's a fusion chart courtesy of GameFAQs if you're interested in getting more in-depth with fusion.
Although if you're not running into any obstacles, you probably don't need to be doing much fusion.

I'm less inclined to keep Senri, as my Valkyrie has Media and I can pass it on via fusion if I want. I'm not really running into obstacles, but I like having most of the elements covered, especially those that aren't accounted for my party members (at the moment).

From what you're saying Dark/Light doesn't sound worth the trouble.

anddo0

I feel like I'm neglecting Marie's s-link. I'm in August, and her SL is only 4. Will I regret not spending more time with her?

I feel like I'm neglecting Marie's s-link. I'm in August, and her SL is only 4. Will I regret not spending more time with her?

I think you need to raise her s-link to level 10 to get the extra month of content. Don't quote me though as she was my romantic choice in my playthrough so I got her to level 10 regardless.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Is there any reason to spend time with someone if it says they're not ready to advance the social link?

It will say that at a certain point, sometimes you will need to do things like, see them at night, go out with them when they call you, etc. Also a good idea is to keep a persona of the same arcana in your stack when advancing social links. It helps a little bit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It will say that at a certain point, sometimes you will need to do things like, see them at night, go out with them when they call you, etc. Also a good idea is to keep a persona of the same arcana in your stack when advancing social links. It helps a little bit.

But leveling the link is trigged by certain things right? Like I've wasted two nights doing nothing with Nanako. At least when I hang out with someone at night I get an item.

Trigger

But leveling the link is trigged by certain things right? Like I've wasted two nights doing nothing with Nanako. At least when I hang out with someone at night I get an item.

The scenes only occur when you hit a certain threshold of points. You get points by spending time with people even if the game doesn't explicitly state it. When you told Nanako you were going to spend those evening you heard the little chime, right? That means you got points toward the next social link event.

Squire

Banned
So, I got P4A tonight. First impression is that is awesome. Wow. Really accessible for a 2D fighter (auto-combo is a dream) and just dripping with fanservice. I mean, it's the crux of the game! Super flashy/stylish, great great remixes. They really went HAM on this!

So I finally got the real, true ending in Persona 4 thanks to Golden.

In 2008 when I first got the game, I was living abroad in England and only came home for a bit during Christmas break. I got an ending, which was pretty alright, and thought that's just how the game ended. The open-ended questions never even really bothered me. Then when I got back to England, I was surfing some forum (maybe even GAF) and saw people mention the true end.

And I was like...really?

I could not get back to my PS2 for another year or two. And when I did, when I intended to get past all that stuff with my Plus Game...my PS2 was stolen by the time I got home along with my memory card. I had my copy of Persona 4 still, but not PS2 to play it on and the PS3 I got was not BC. I tried emulation but it didn't feel right.

So when Golden was announced, I was like, well, this is my chance. I got a Vita for the game and have put nearly 70 hours in to it from release to now getting this ending.

Four years' worth of waiting. "Nevermore" has never sounded sweeter.

So I finally got the real, true ending in Persona 4 thanks to Golden.

In 2008 when I first got the game, I was living broad in England and only came home for a bit during Christmas break. I got an ending, which was pretty alright, and thought that's just how the game ended. The open-ended questions never even really bothered me. Then when I got back to England, I was surfing some forum (maybe even GAF) and saw people mention the true end.

And I was like...really?

I could not get back to my PS2 for another year or two. And when I did, when I intended to get past all that stuff with my Plus Game...my PS2 was stolen by the time I got home along with my memory card. I had my copy of Persona 4 still, but not PS2 to play it on and the PS3 I got was not BC. I tried emulation but it didn't feel right.

So when Golden was announced, I was like, well, this is my chance. I got a Vita for the game and have put nearly 70 hours in to it from release to now getting this ending.

Four years' worth of waiting. "Nevermore" has never sounded sweeter.
I think I have tears in my eyes.

Friend zone her ass

9wmJ1.jpg

See for me, the Persona series has always been an excellent game series. Persona 1, most people dont like and see it as a prototype, but that game will always hold a place in my heart. Now, Persona 2 duology is an amazing game/s in spite of it's gameplay for it's amazing story and characters, and Persona 3 is a great game in spite of it's poorly paced plot and half weak characters for it's great gameplay, the characters that are good and it's amazing climax. Persona 4 is not the strongest plot or characters, but they are still up there with strongest of the series. the difficulty may not be the most balanced, but it unquestionably had the strongest gameplay of the series. It's climax is not as good as 2 and 3's but sill pretty damn good. While Persona 2 will unquestionably remain my favorite Persona/s, Persona 4 is undoubtedly the best. Persona 4 is a hell of a game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As a straight man, I'd date Kou or Kanji before any of the girls in this game.

Still not as bad as when Yuko said I'd be a good father in P3 though. That warranted a record scratch.

Top Bottom