• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Holy shit this game... The improvements / additions are outstanding and really help the moments where it might drag. I didn't mind sitting through the first couple of hours because I could speed it up. Now 20 hours in and the game just shines. Hands down I like it better than the original as one might expect, I also think I like new chie more. Something about her voice is more humorous. Good god this game!

Trigger

I know this much, i will fight and beat the true end boss this time around. When I played thd original PS2 version I ended up with the bad ending (spoiler)
where Yu leaves the town suddenly
and then reloaded and fought the (spoiler)
giant Eye boss
but heard that there was an actual true end boss (spoiler)
a goddess or something.

Yep. It's not available until the final day though.

Great thanks. My main concern was I didn't get the book trophy first time around so I do have to do that at night but I could always collect them and have a save I could go back to just to power read for the trophy.

You're in for some grinding too. There are some items needed for one of the book quests.

^Even though I thought P4A was fine aside from the overly long monologues, I can see where Dantis is coming from....I find myself worrying that I tend to show up whenever Dantis is disapproving something about Persona, hah.

Sophia

^Even though I thought P4A was fine aside from the overly long monologues, I can see where Dantis is coming from....I find myself worrying that I tend to show up whenever Dantis is disapproving something about Persona, hah.

I could tolerate the overly long monologues because they're written in a first person style. It's kinda nice seeing all the information filtered from the point of the character.

Trigger

I went through the books I had at the end of my 1st playthrough and the ones I was missing was from the stupid SL I maxed too early.

Ah, I see. lol, I never did the quest in a prior playthrough so I had to spend forever getting the thick hides.

Trigger

Wait, can you elaborate? With minor spoilers if possible?

Keeping it vague: For the true ending
you have to say goodbye to all your maxed social links, refuse to go home, and then visit the food court on the last day. The events for the true ending will then start. There's a boss and a whole dungeon.

If you're just in November though you've still got a bit to do anyway.

Trigger

Is there any reason not to trade stuff with the item shop lady at night? And where do I get a fishing rod?

Most of her items are joke items with some decent effects, so no not really.

For the fishing rod:
-talk to the man by the river
-visit the pub at night and give the woman a bug (I think it has to be the lady bug? but I haven't tried other bugs yet)
-bring the hook she gives you to the old man

Chavelo

What do you do with the gem items, though? Haven't found a single use for them besides trading her for the items. I actually upgraded the MC's weapon with a pretty nice titanium club that demolished
Kanji's
and
Rise's
dungeons.

For the fishing rod:
-talk to the man by the river
-visit the pub at night and give the woman a bug (I think it has to be the lady bug? but I haven't tried other bugs yet)
-bring the hook she gives you to the old man

The man with the character portrait or the old man? I've tried talking to both of them and the lady isn't mentioning anything. Also, I've been getting bugs from that kid.

Edit: My bad! I figured it out.

Trigger

The man with the character portrait or the old man? I've tried talking to both of them and the lady isn't mentioning anything. Also, I've been getting bugs from that kid.

The old man who talks about fishing. He has no portrait and should mention needing a hook if I recall. When you visit the pub at night and talk to her she should mention her pet fish and then take notice of one of your bugs.

Maybe I'm forgetting something?

UberTag

I've already started my 2nd playthrough. I really don't like using guides but I do want to platinum. I know its hard to get all max SL's in first playthrough but is it easy enough in 2nd playthrough to do without using a strict guide as long as I know to do certain stuff
like getting Adachi to level 6 early, stopping strength at 4 till august (for my books I missed in 1st playthrough), can't think of anything else
Hey, quick question on this point in particular...

I originally ran into this issue by advancing Strength past 4 and missing out on the book you get in late May. Went back to an earlier save to correct this and got that book without trouble.

However, I understand there's another book given out in mid-July. If I advance Strength past the 5-6 bridge and into 7 or 8 before that date will I be fine getting the mid-July book or am I screwed by not waiting until August to advance the SL?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hey, quick question on this point in particular...

I originally ran into this issue by advancing Strength past 4 and missing out on the book you get in late May. Went back to an earlier save to correct this and got that book without trouble.

However, I understand there's another book given out in mid-July. If I advance Strength past the 5-6 bridge and into 7 or 8 before that date will I be fine getting the mid-July book or am I screwed by not waiting until August to advance the SL?

I got the book at 7, but didn't get it in Mid-July. I was pretty peeved.

I just
went to Okina with Yosuke and Kanji to pick up girls
. That whole segment was genuinely hilarious. :-D

Great addition to Golden.

Ok, I've got Samsara and Victory Cry on my Daisoujou, it's ridiculous. I can just steamroll everything it seems like, where are the Hama resistant enemies?

Quick question: does this game still have the "protagonist dies -> Game over" rule? I've been playing P3:FES in anticipation of playing this come Christmas, and I've ended up rage quitting 3-4 times now because combat will be going swell, and then all of a sudden the MC gets gang-banged.

Lesson learned that I should always save before doing anything, but.. it's still frustrating to lose 30-45 minutes of progress because all the enemies decided to target me with my weakness in the same turn. It's very deflating, and pretty much puts me off the game for the rest of the day.

Quick question: does this game still have the "protagonist dies -> Game over" rule? I've been playing P3:FES in anticipation of playing this come Christmas, and I've ended up rage quitting 3-4 times now because combat will be going swell, and then all of a sudden the MC gets gang-banged.

Lesson learned that I should always save before doing anything, but.. it's still frustrating to lose 30-45 minutes of progress because all the enemies decided to target me with my weakness in the same turn. It's very deflating, and pretty much puts me off the game for the rest of the day.

yes it still happens.

Trigger

In Golden you can start from the beginning of a floor, so wipeouts are less painful.

Sophia

I knew you would react that way, haha. I love it though. It's a ton of fun. Labrys>>>>>>Marie.

I'm always giggling whenever I see someone start imitating Labrys' accent. :p

God, only four more days before I can start playing this version with the rest of you. Not sure if I want to play on Hard or Very Hard.

Sophia

A little off topic, but for P4:Arena, is there a proper or suggested order to play though with the characters for story stuff?

Nope. The game unlocks story modes as you play so you don't miss essential details. I do recommend starting with Yosuke's story mode to make his normal ending that much more awesome. :p

Also, I'm watching a video of someone beat the Contrarian King on Very hard with level 20-23 Persona. :3

Nope. The game unlocks story modes as you play so you don't miss essential details. I do recommend starting with Yosuke's story mode to make his normal ending that much more awesome. :p

Also, I'm watching a video of someone beat the Contrarian King on Very hard with level 20-23 Persona. :3

its possible but its all in the luck of the king not casting Rampage

Dantis

Are there any other RPGs that have this time management sim element to them?

The closest thing I can think of is Harvest Moon, I guess.

I knew you would react that way, haha. I love it though. It's a ton of fun. Labrys>>>>>>Marie.

I agree. That's setting the bar really low though. Marie is a terribly written character.

Labrys is... Acceptable. The only thing that really irks me with her is her terrible design.

The closest thing I can think of is Harvest Moon, I guess.

I agree. That's setting the bar really low though. Marie is a terribly written character.

Labrys is... Acceptable. The only thing that really irks me with her is her terrible design.

just imagine labrys without the school outfit, and shes ok design wise I guess.

Squire

Banned
I'm always giggling whenever I see someone start imitating Labrys' accent. :p

I love how she has a Long Island, NY accent for seemingly no reason (I still haven't started the story.)

Dantis said:
Labrys is... Acceptable. The only thing that really irks me with her is her terrible design

That's fair. It seems very rushed/fan art-ish.

Dantis

just imagine labrys without the school outfit, and shes ok design wise I guess.

Nope. The school uniform is fine, it's just Yasogami outfit.

The problem is her stupid green hair with the robot hair clip, the stupid knight helmet hair-band thing, the stupid read things on her arms, and most of all her awful weapon.

She looks like something out of a sci-fi anime, and really clashes with P3 and P4's stylish and normal looking characters.

Eurgh.

When Arena comes out here I'll probably rent it, but man, I am not looking forward to it.

I love how she has a Long Island, NY accent for seemingly no reason (I still haven't started the story.)

This explains everything. I don't know how the actual gameplay is, because I haven't played it. The story is trash though.

Prepare for loooooong text-only monologues.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Between how much I can't stand Labrys and Marie, I don't know what I want Persona 5 anymore. I mean, their new characters have been complete duds for me. Too 'anime'-y

Sophia

The problem is her stupid green hair with the robot hair clip, the stupid knight helmet hair-band thing, the stupid read things on her arms, and most of all her awful weapon.

She looks like something out of a sci-fi anime, and really clashes with P3 and P4's stylish and normal looking characters.

You're talking about a game series where one guy fights with a gun in a case, one guy with coins, one girl kicks enemies with her boots, one guy uses a table , and another guy beats the shit out of living emotions with his fists. Yet Labrys fighting with her namesake is awful? >_>

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Green? You colorblind or something? It's light blue. :p

Her "accent" has to do with the fact that she was built with the personality of Osakan Dialect.

She looks a lot less human than Aegis because she's an older model Anti-Shadow Weapon.

Both are good, but Aegis is better.

Dantis

Between how much I can't stand Labrys and Marie, I don't know what I want Persona 5 anymore. I mean, their new characters have been complete duds for me. Too 'anime'-y

As I have pointed out countless times, Arena and Golden weren't made the Persona team. Hashino and co. will most likely do p5 very well. The last game they worked on properly was Catherine, and it outstanding.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As I have pointed out countless times, Arena and Golden weren't made the Persona team. Hashino and co. will most likely do p5 very well. The last game they worked on properly was Catherine, and it outstanding.

I disagree. Vincent was completely unlikeable even by the end.

Dantis

You're talking about a game series where one guy fights with a gun in a case, one guy with coins, one girl kicks enemies with her boots, one guy uses a table , and another guy beats the shit out of living emotions with his fists. Yet Labrys fighting with her namesake is awful? >_>

I don't care that she uses an axe, silly. I care that the axe has rockets on it and she puts it on her back to look like butterfly wings. It's dreadful.

I disagree. Vincent was completely unlikeable even by the end.

I thought he was amazing. Complete asshole, but genuinely really funny. There were a few times where I'd cringe at how awkward he was in some situations. It was hilarious.

Sophia

I don't care that she uses an axe, silly. I care that the axe has rockets on it and she puts it on her back to look like butterfly wings. It's dreadful.

Hey now, that Jetpack is AWESOME. >:|

I'd like to agree with the butterfly wings part, but ... butterflies are awesome too.

you forgot flowers

Oh yes, how could I forget Jun's flowers. And Katsuya may have had a normal weapon, but he makes up for by reading demons and shadows the penal code.

Top Bottom