• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

neoemonk

That might be the case. I've never tried that before, mostly because Rise is so overpowered in this game that I never thought I'd need it once you max her social link and level her some.

Feel like I kind of made a mistake by not working on her link immediately. Her unlocked powers are very useful and I'm only on rank 5 I think.

Dantis

It's not really any more outrageous than the Nazi powered Mecha Robots. Or the mechanical toy coming to life and trying to kill everyone. :D

They're justified within the universe. It's that simple.

I see those and I say "Man, I love the quirky stuff in Persona". Not to mention the mechs play Knight of The Holy Lance when you fight them, which is AMAZE.

The first time I saw Labrys I thought it was a joke. She looked like Xenosaga combined with Miku Hatsune. Up until that point I was excited beyond belief for Arena.

And then the cold, hard truth hit.

EDIT: I forgot how good Tesso's music is.

It's not really any more outrageous than the Nazi powered Mecha Robots. Or the mechanical toy coming to life and trying to kill everyone. :D

I FREAKIN...did the bonus bosses in the Ruins you get after beating the Sebec path once...You fight 6 of the 7 Deadly Sins, and unlock the final door in the middle. I was ready to throw down against the final Sin, when THIS DAMN RAT SHOWS UP WITH A GIANT TEDDIE BEAR AND HES THE FINAL BONUS BOSS OJFIOWNFIPKSNISK

Sophia

They're justified within the universe. It's that simple.

I see those and I say "Man, I love the quirky stuff in Persona". Not to mention the mechs play Knight of The Holy Lance when you fight them, which is AMAZE.

The first time I saw Labrys I thought it was a joke. She looked like Xenosaga combined with Miku Hatsune. Up until that point I was excited beyond belief for Arena.

And then the cold, hard truth hit.

There's a whole crapton of stuff more outrageous in Persona 2 than Labrys, who's actually really well justified given the nature of human personalities. I just have a hard time believing you can accept the stuff in that game but not Labrys. :p

I FREAKIN...did the bonus bosses in the Ruins you get after beating the Sebec path once...You fight 6 of the 7 Deadly Sins, and unlock the final door in the middle. I was ready to throw down against the final Sin, when THIS DAMN RAT SHOWS UP WITH A GIANT TEDDIE BEAR AND HES THE FINAL BONUS BOSS OJFIOWNFIPKSNISK

You're welcome :)

There's a whole crapton of stuff more outrageous in Persona 2 than Labrys, who's actually really well justified given the nature of human personalities. I just have a hard time believing you can accept the stuff in that game but not Labrys. :p

You're welcome :)

but the whole premise of Persona 2 is crazy rumors becoming reality.

NO NO NO NO THAT FUCKIN RAT

I'm a little worried about my personal stats thus far because I just realized that I've been loosely following a NG+ guide. I'm at May 12th, and here's where I'm at:

Courage: Reliable
Knowledge: Informed
Diligence: Callow
Understanding: Basic
Expression: Rough

What do the bottom three stats do, exactly? And are these levels okay for where I'm at?

Dantis

Like I say, I feel like it's justified in the world, but Labrys isn't.

The P2 stuff is weird. Labrys is anime just 'cos (Probably because of Arc, to be honest). There's no justification for any of the design aspects I mentioned, or really the character altogether.

Of the two versions, do you guys reccommend FES or P3P? Seeing Aigus in Arena is really stirring my interest again.

Both, if you can? I'd recommend playing through FES, then doing a female protag run on P3P.

Sophia

Of the two versions, do you guys reccommend FES or P3P? Seeing Aigus in Arena is really stirring my interest again.

FES has the animation sequences and superior graphics, and more detailed cutscenes. Persona 3 Portable has direct control, the female protaognist, and lots of general UI improvements from P4. Pick your poison.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

P3P, going to FES might be jarring coming from P4, mostly because you can't control your party members actions in FES.

neoemonk

I'm kinda worried though, cuz I'm 43 hours in and already in November. I remember putting 80 hours in the original.

What gives?

I'm around 43 hours in mid-September. My first time through the game and I'm playing on hard. I've found it to be a decent challenge. I usually die on the final bosses at least once, sometimes twice. Also doing all dungeons in one shot.

I always disliked the robots. I like that in Persona 4 all the crazy shit comes from the TV world, and the real world is fairly realistic. The teen girl androids give Persona 3 a really weird tone, and that made it hard for me to get into the universe. It's a big part of why I prefer 4 so much over 3.

Jintor

Is it better to wait until the last possible second to finish a dungeon, or finish them ASAP? I was under the impression kidnappings were on a calender timer, so clearing a dungeon early was best so you had all that time to social link in.

Mainly I just want a fourth party member ASAP.

Trigger

I'm the biggest Aigis fangirl here at NeoGAF, and even *I* can't recommend that episode with a straight face because of it's infuriating difficulty. =p
Which is no good until the last boss. :/

I haven't played the Answer in years, so maybe I just forgot how bad it was.

Is it better to wait until the last possible second to finish a dungeon, or finish them ASAP? I was under the impression kidnappings were on a calender timer, so clearing a dungeon early was best so you had all that time to social link in.

Better to do them ASAP.

Dantis

I always disliked the robots. I like that in Persona 4 all the crazy shit comes from the TV world, and the real world is fairly realistic. The teen girl androids give Persona 3 a really weird tone, and that made it hard for me to get into the universe. It's a big part of why I prefer 4 so much over 3.

I agree. Particularly how Persona 4 seperates the fantastical from the realistic.

I've always seen Persona 4, at its core, as a story about a group of realistically-written teenagers getting through a year of their lives. The Persona and TV stuff is always a videogame means-to-an-end to me.

Sophia

You're not getting a fourth party member no matter when you beat it, as they don't join until long after the timer is up, even if you finish it on the first day. However faster is usually better providing you don't become underleveled. More time for social links and planning stuff.

I think The Answer is fine, and P3 could be considered the worst Persona in my opinion. Come at me.

I like The Answer's story, but it really should have been a part of the main game alongside MANY of the drama CDs, which are fantastic. It really fleshes out P3's cast in a way that's closer to the P4 gang.

Sera O

Banned

Even if you do the rescue early, you spend the set amount of time waiting for them to recover before joining. But it does free you up for s-linking and other stuff.

Edit - beaten

Jintor

Oh good. I don't mind dungeon clearing, it's got a nice rock-paper-scissors element to it especially with trying topple everyone all at once, but by far chilling with other characters is my deal.

^Then you are goin to want to play FES, if you can brave the gameplay regression from P4G to P3FES

I think you've just forgotten how great P3 is.

Weirdly, I had no problem with The Answer's difficulty.

nope. P3 made me start to dislike the series, though I warmed up to it over the years, P4 brought it back to me

Yuripaw

Banned

I don't know if it's true of the Vita version or not, but in the PS2 version, if you finished a dungeon early, there were more days with your party members available to S Link with them. If you didn't beat the dungeon, your party members are all too worried, or concerned about the person trapped in the TV to wanna hang out.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I don't know if it's true of the Vita version or not, but in the PS2 version, if you finished a dungeon early, there were more days with your party members available to S Link with them. If you didn't beat the dungeon, your party members are all too worried, or concerned about the person trapped in the TV to wanna hang out.

It's the same.

I want to sit down and play this right now. I even switched my avatar in preparation. I have to finish Trails in the Sky first, though.

And its not like that is a chore. That game is superb as well...

I'm a little worried about my personal stats thus far because I just realized that I've been loosely following a NG+ guide. I'm at May 12th, and here's where I'm at:

Courage: Reliable
Knowledge: Informed
Diligence: Callow
Understanding: Basic
Expression: Rough

What do the bottom three stats do, exactly? And are these levels okay for where I'm at?

I apologize for quoting myself already, but I know this post was probably lost in the shuffle and I can't continue until I have this worked out! This game is fucking stressful.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I apologize for quoting myself already, but I know this post was probably lost in the shuffle and I can't continue until I have this worked out! This game is fucking stressful.

They basically just help you with different Social Links. At certain parts if you don't have enough "Understanding" or "Expression" etc. you can't further or start the social link. You're still pretty early in the game though, so don't stress it too much, though you should focus on maxing those out as much as you can.

Sera O

Banned

Diligence affects how many fishing attempts you get in a time block, and probably jobs too. Understanding is a requirement for Tower S-link job. Expression needs to be a decent amount in order to advance after a certain point in Justice S-link. There are probably more things that haven't occurred to me. You still have time to work on those stats though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think The Answer is fine, and P3 could be considered the worst Persona in my opinion. Come at me.

You haven't played the first one I guess.

Top Bottom