• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Marche90

Still, 50 hours and in that dungeon? Lots of grinding? Or spending tons of time in the Velvet Room?

(Either that or I can't remember well my playthrough. I haven't played this since 2010, now that I think about it! I really need a Vita)

Trigger

This is a great deal more complicated than I thought. So there's a bad, neutral, normal (good), and true ending?

What Sophia said, lol.

thanks! does anyone know the date for the true ending? so many damn endings! which should i aim for with my first playthrough?

March 3rd, I believe. It's the final day.

You can get both the true and normal ending in one playthrough.

Corto

I had a really weird random encounter with some kind of high end mob in a dungeon.

I tried to open a chest and a warning came up that someone had a bad feeling about it. I said open it anyway and again someone said "I feel something really evil, are you sure?" I had just arrived on that floor so if I died I wouldn't have lost any progress, so I opened it up.

What came out was some nasty looking shadow called a Reaper. The boss music came on for it. I barely scratched it and then it one shotted my entire party for 1500+ damage each and that was it. After I restarted the floor it was gone and I haven't seen it since.

I remember that mofo from P3. RUN FOOL! hehehe

Omikaru

I had a really weird random encounter with some kind of high end mob in a dungeon.

I tried to open a chest and a warning came up that someone had a bad feeling about it. I said open it anyway and again someone said "I feel something really evil, are you sure?" I had just arrived on that floor so if I died I wouldn't have lost any progress, so I opened it up.

What came out was some nasty looking shadow called a Reaper. The boss music came on for it. I barely scratched it and then it one shotted my entire party for 1500+ damage each and that was it. After I restarted the floor it was gone and I haven't seen it since.

I fucked that bitch up real good at around lv75, though it was a tough fight and all my party bar the MC had died by the end. You need to be that kind of level with the right persona equipped just to stop it 1-shotting you and your entire party in the first turn.

All the same, nowhere near as hard as it was in P3, especially if you don't have Thor's Thunder Reign to make easy work of him.

Sophia

Gotcha. Hopefully I'll recognize the branching point when it happens.

The ones to avoid the worst possible bad ending are pretty blatant. They get trickier and trickier as you play on.

I'll admit that the game is a little too long for its own good, but your hour count for where you are is really high. It's not that hard to beat the game with the best ending in around 60 hours.

His hour content isn't that high, at least by the standards of the original game. I was 43-45 hours at that point on my very first game. He's going a little slow for Golden however.

His hour content isn't that high, at least by the standards of the original game. I was 43-45 hours at that point on my very first game. He's going a little slow for Golden however.

Not sure how indicative it is of the average, but I had a little over 60 hours when I beat the original game on Normal for the first time and a little under 60 hours beating Golden on Hard (True Ending + Bonus dungeon).

Sophia

Not sure how indicative it is of the average, but I had a little over 60 hours when I beat the original game on Normal for the first time and a little under 60 hours beating Golden on Hard (True Ending + Bonus dungeon).

That's pretty fast for the original. Most playtimes I've seen are at the 75 hour mark. I can't speak for Golden tho, given I've could probably blitz through it in about 15-20 hours or less if I played on Very Easy and skipped all the cutscenes. >_>;

My vanilla P4 hour count on normal was about 80.

I shamefully played this one on easy and it was only 43 hours (over six sleep-deprived days, no less).

The new "voice" feature makes things INCREDIBLY efficient since you no longer have to run around town to see what social links are available before deciding.

91h as I mentioned earlier but I kept my party fairly even until the end (all in the 80s) and I was fusing late-game personas for the last 20 hours or so

70 is about average with True Ending

Dantis

My first playthrough on vanilla P4 was 62 hours. Golden took me something like 58 first time through, and about 45 in the US version.

Omikaru

My first play on P4 for PS2 was about 80 hours. I'm at 71 hours on Golden now, and I've only just beaten the November dungeon.

Looking like 100+ for me this time. <_<

I played every single dungeon with a different costume set and it was glorious.

Team attacks in the
Featherman
ones were a whole new echelon of awesome.

Trigger

I played every single dungeon with a different costume set and it was glorious.

Team attacks in the
Featherman
ones were a whole new echelon of awesome.

I wish the portrait reflected the costumes currently equipped, but I imagine that would be more work for the team.

Kanji is the easily the best bro

Too bad his persona becomes a giant enemy crab and Yosuke's persona gets
a big flaming afro

After Kanji is winter Teddie
those earmuffs

Trigger

From my experience so far (just beat Kanji's dungeon), I think sticking with Izanagi may actually make the game easier.

It does. Izanagi's stats grow faster from all the bonuses. The party doesn't see their stats increase unless they level up. MC can strengthen his personae via the shuffle time without that same barrier.

It does. Izanagi's stats grow faster from all the bonuses. The party doesn't see their stats increase unless they level up. MC can strengthen his personae via the shuffle time without that same barrier.

Yeah, my Izanagi's stats are noticeably higher than everyone else's due to shuffle time and I've gotten some good abilities from skill cards. Just beat Kanji's dungeon & the boss fight was a breeze. Main had Masukunda, Mabufu, and Twin Shot (which was dealing about twice as much damage as Chie or Yosuke's physical abilities since my Strength was higher).

If you're going to do a Super Hard run (where XP gains are reduced), an Izanagi-only run looks like the best way to do it since your power is tied more to shuffle time than XP. Or pick another early Persona with better resistances than Izanagi and then stick with that one for the rest of the game.

Jeels

Anyone know where I can find Tranquil Idol for Quest 26? I need the crooked cross from them and everywhere online says floors 7-8 of the steamy bathouse but i've been walking between these two floors for an hour now.

Edit: Just kidding, finally found. :(

Since I don't need to up any of my social stats in playthrough 2, would I need a guide to max S.Links? Most of them seem to be written for the first run through anyway

Trigger

Since I don't need to up any of my social stats in playthrough 2, would I need a guide to max S.Links? Most of them seem to be written for the first run through anyway

I'm using one now and I've been terrible at following it. I think a guide could at least help with knowing which responses get you the most points during the social link scenes. How necessary it is just comes down to how well you know the schedules.

Jintor

I kind of wish I didn't already know
who the killer is
. Golden does a better job of hiding it, I feel. Well... kind of.

I feel there's a few anime elements they should maybe have added into the game though... Yukiko's bird metaphor, Rise's development episode, Kanji's keychain maybe.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm using one now and I've been terrible at following it. I think a guide could at least help with knowing which responses get you the most points during the social link scenes. How necessary it is just comes down to how well you know the schedules.

We've been following the same one right? I'm pretty much on par with it. I just started November and I have a good deal of them done.

Other than the whole book fiasco, it's been fine.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I resigned myself to doing my first playthrough whatever way I feel like it

That's the best way to go really, although, focus on your stats like "Knowledge" and "Understanding" etc, that way, it's easier to open up and finish the social links in NG+.

Trigger

Guides are no fun for a first playthrough.

We've been following the same one right? I'm pretty much on par with it. I just started November and I have a good deal of them done.

Other than the whole book fiasco, it's been fine.

Yeah, I'm behind on Strength because I was trying to get those damn books for the trophy. I'll be cutting things close.

Top Bottom