• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Ponn

Banned
So a word of advice to others would be like:

If you are going for the book trophy, join the Soccer Club, and do not have Sun S. Link above rank 5 until August. Is that accurate?

That's what I just looked up yup.

I would add the caveat that BEFORE I had to look that up I was under the impression it was just keeping the Sports club SL under rank 4 and that didn't turn out totally correct so who the hell knows at this point. Maybe you are also supposed to have Dojima surprise you with coffee and say you want to see Kanji in a speedo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How the hell could a normal person figure these crazy unrelated conditions out. I may not do a full 3rd playthrough but go back to a save I have in may and just concentrate on all the books till I have them all. That will have to be after this current Max SL/everything else playthrough.

Holy crap though this has to be the most infuriating trophy i've ever went for.

I don't think Atlus is assuming a normal person is going for these trophies.

You have GOT to be freaking kidding me with this damn Book trophy!!!

I've been keeping the sports SL at below 4 to get the august book I missed the first time and I noticed the july book hangout didn't happen so I look and find out if you have the Sun (culturalclub) SL above 5 or 6 that will somehow cause the sports guys not to call you in july so I just missed the july because of the stupid drama club

DAMMNIT

3rd playthrough just for the damn book trophy.

Go Soccer. It has no requirements like basketball, or so the guide says.

Ponn

Banned
Go Soccer. It has no requirements like basketball, or so the guide says.

I did soccer the first playthrough and didn't get the august book. I don't know if the whole July/Sun SL fiasco I just experienced was due to basketball though. It's possible because I got the July book no problem with soccer but didn't this time and i'm doing basketball.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Wow, I didn't realize how little really carries over to new game plus, and how many trophies I missed. I thought social link ranks would carry over, in fact I was confident of this. But I guess it wouldn't make very much sense in terms of new story progression. At least, there's fast forwarding. Oh well, by the time second playthrough rolls around I will know what to do off the bat. So, before the last day (by the day what day is it for the regular good day ending?) I should sell all my stuff, fuse personas, am I missing anything else?

Trigger

Wow, I didn't realize how little really carries over to new game plus, and how many trophies I missed. I thought social link ranks would carry over, in fact I was confident of this. But I guess it wouldn't make very much sense in terms of new story progression. At least, there's fast forwarding. Oh well, by the time second playthrough rolls around I will know what to do off the bat. So, before the last day (by the day what day is it for the regular good day ending?) I should sell all my stuff, fuse personas, am I missing anything else?

You've got it. The last day is
March 20th.
The steps for the true ending have to be done on that day.

So I should sell all my weapons and stuff before the next playthrough? None carry over right?

Yep. You'll be able to rebuy the weapons pretty quickly though since whatever you've unlocked will be able at the weapon shop.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So I should sell all my weapons and stuff before the next playthrough? None carry over right?

According to what I found on GFAQS this is what carries over on the original game

Social stats.
Persona Compendium.
Persona Compendium discounts.
Persona slots (You will start with 12)
Max social link items (for fusing ultimate Personae)
Money.
Play time.

You've got it. The last day is
March 20th.
The steps for the true ending have to be done on that day.
Yep. You'll be able to rebuy the weapons pretty quickly though since whatever you've unlocked will be able at the weapon shop.
Thanks, and that's awesome to hear about the weapons in the shop carrying over. Maybe I should do another run in the last dungeon. And thanks for all the help man.

TWILT

Banned
OMG. I DID IT.
jyxPb.jpg
YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH.

I feel kinda sad now that it's all over, but it feels real nice to platinum one of the best games I've ever played. Maybe I'll replay it someday.

I might get P3P off PSN soon. I never finished the female route now that I think of it (though it'll probably feel weird without P4G's changes). Till then though...

Trigger

I'm jealous of that platinum. I still have to get the risette and bonus boss trophies. Ugh, and I have to fight a certain lurking enemy too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there a benefit to going to watch a movie?

One of the guides says it gives you Expression, but when I did it, I didn't get that bonus.

SmithnCo

I hope I get the Risette one in the final dungeon... I think I've heard most of the analyze lines and a good amount of the ailment ones plus the low on health/people dying ones. It's annoying.

Trigger

Is there a benefit to going to watch a movie?

One of the guides says it gives you Expression, but when I did it, I didn't get that bonus.

You don't get social stat bonuses from the movies. It levels up a character and gives them bonus stats. Your also get points towards their social link if it's a movie they requested to see (like Chie and Trial of the Dragon).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You don't get social stat bonuses from the movies. It levels up a character and gives them bonus stats. Your also get points towards their social link if it's a movie they requested to see (like Chie and Trial of the Dragon).
Ah, that makes sense. Does it serve any other fuction?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^^^^^^
Spoilers yo!

Nothing other than what I listed above. In Persona 3 you could level social stats by visiting the movies. Maybe that's where the confusion stems from?
Maybe. lol

Somewhat related - is Chie's "Evade Fire" worth taking? Having only 8 skill slots is a pain in the ass...

Trigger

Maybe. lol

Somewhat related - is Chie's "Evade Fire" worth taking? Having only 8 skill slots is a pain in the ass...

No one ever loses their weakness when they get their ultimate persona so those evade skills are the best chance to counter their elemental weaknesses. Specifically with Chie I'd keep one stock ice spell in her arsenal and other wise make her a physical attacker. Her magic growth doesn't justify keeping the ice boost.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
No one ever loses their weakness when they get their ultimate persona so those evade skills are the best chance to counter their elemental weaknesses. Specifically with Chie I'd keep one stock ice spell in her arsenal and other wise make her a physical attacker. Her magic growth doesn't justify keeping the ice boost.

That's basically what I did.

Did you overlevel?

I wonder how much dialogue I miss because of that.

I wouldn't say that. I ignored revisiting dungeons entirely until right at the end when I went to the back to one of the dungeons to kill some gold hands.

I think I was in the high-80s when the trophy popped up and the rest of the crew was in the mid-60s to low-80s

SmithnCo

Hell yeah, got the Risette Fan trophy in the final dungeon here, after she told Naoto her offense is down. Nice. Also fought a particular strong enemy for that trophy. Now I can do a Social Link run in peace...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Another random question - did they ever change the system where getting extra s-link points with characters in between s-links doesn't carry over?

That's a bit unclear, but if I recall, in P4 if you were already able to rank up an s-link with a character, doing events to add points to that character's relationship would be a "waste" since it resets after you rank up. Is that still the case?

I'm thinking of bailing on
Nanako's homework... lol

Another random question - did they ever change the system where getting extra s-link points with characters in between s-links doesn't carry over?

That's a bit unclear, but if I recall, in P4 if you were already able to rank up an s-link with a character, doing events to add points to that character's relationship would be a "waste" since it resets after you rank up. Is that still the case?

I'm thinking of bailing on
Nanako's homework... lol

I wonder about that too since I already maxed it.

I am a mean onii-chan!

lupin23rd

Managed to get Hardcore Risette on the final boss, he likes to spam skills that lower attack / defense / agility and I guess I missed those earlier.

Just before the end of the game now, was curious if you guys gave those metals back to the lady at Shiroku for the special weapons, or just sold them off? I didn't even get the Marie social link on this playthrough somehow, so I guess I'm going to sell them off.

Yasir

n00by jrpg player, reporting!

Started this last Monday; and this Morning I finished it with the true ending :D

All of a sudden I have the urge, to watch the anime and buy Persona 4 arena. The characters were all the excellent, the voice acting excellent, the writing excellent, even enjoyed the story and the dungeons.

My GOTY, and it's so unusual for me to spend 60 hours on a game, let alone finish a jrpg. 10/10.

Blurgh. Somehow managed to enter my name backwards in new game plus (brainfart) and then overwrote the file against my better judgement (I was hesitant to and then figured I was just being stupid and would never need to go back to it) before realising. So now I'm stuck with it if I want the benefits of NG+, joy. So yeah, don't mind me, just complaining about my own stupidity. :p

n00by jrpg player, reporting!

Started this last Monday; and this Morning I finished it with the true ending :D

All of a sudden I have the urge, to watch the anime and buy Persona 4 arena. The characters were all the excellent, the voice acting excellent, the writing excellent, even enjoyed the story and the dungeons.

My GOTY, and it's so unusual for me to spend 60 hours on a game, let alone finish a jrpg. 10/10.

Feels good, man :)

The anime and fighting game are both great additions as well. JPRG's soul still burns with Persona.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So I just started my pre-ordered copy about 2 weeks ago. I only get to play an hour or two per day since I have work, but so far I'm liking it. The mechanics are basically P3P's with some added/refined elements.

I beat Shadow Yukiko at level 11, which I'm not sure if I was supposed to, since I get her at level 15(?). =/ Anyone else feel like the online request thing is a bit broken? It basically lets you stay in a dungeon forever. I've been slowly grinding my way in Yukiko's castle after getting her in my party. I've gone from level 11 to 20 with no signs of stopping. I need to find a balance of not wasting days in the TV and not grinding until the end of time!

All in all, having a good time. Atmosphere is a bit less heavy than P3P, which is a nice change coming off of that. Neither is better, but more of the same would've gotten tiring. Looking forward to (slowly) beating the game!

Sophia

Two more days. Then this game shall consume my life again. By sword and capote, it shall once again prove victorious over my poor life. ;_;

I beat Shadow Yukiko at level 11, which I'm not sure if I was supposed to, since I get her at level 15(?). =/

Whoa, that must have taken some crazy ability or luck. You either got lucky or you had a Persona (read: Senri) with all the right skills o_o

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Two more days. Then this game shall consume my life again. By sword and capote, it shall once again prove victorious over my poor life. ;_;

Whoa, that must have taken some crazy ability or luck. You either got lucky or you had a Persona (read: Senri) with all the right skills o_o
I had an Orobas. It resisted fire. The strategy was basically have Chie guard whenever the boss cast the ice resist wall, have Yosuke just constantly heal, and have my main character spam Hysterical Slap whenever I had the HP to spare or switch to Valkyrie because it had higher base attack. It was easy to get into a cycle of Bufu -> All-Out-Attack -> Hit her hard while she casts ice resist -> guard the AOE flame attack -> Slaps while having Chie guard. When she summons the knight, just slap the knight while slowly chipping Yukiko down with Bufus when possible. I lost twice when she was at 10% hp, because then she just spams the AOE fire thing randomly. =(

All in all, I think the only luck I had was getting a 100 SP heal item from a golden chest somewhere. Without that, I couldn't have had Yosuke heal the entire fight, haha.

Was kinda disappointed that I couldn't use Yukiko (or even interact with her) because when I was "supposed" to save her anyway. Probably the only negative thing I can say about the game so far.

Sophia

I had an Orobas. It resisted fire. The strategy was basically have Chie guard whenever the boss cast the ice resist wall, have Yosuke just constantly heal, and have my main character spam Hysterical Slap whenever I had the HP to spare. It was easy to get into a cycle of Bufu -> All-Out-Attack -> guard the AOE flame attack -> Slaps while having Chie guard. When she summons the knight, just slap the knight while slowly chipping Yukiko down with Bufus when possible. I lost twice when she was at 10% hp, because then she just spams the AOE fire thing randomly. =(

All in all, I think the only luck I had was getting a 100 SP heal item from a golden chest somewhere. Without that, I couldn't have had Yosuke heal the entire fight, haha.

Was kinda disappointed that I couldn't use Yukiko (or even interact with her) because when I was "supposed" to save her anyway. Probably the only negative thing I can say about the game so far.

You'll get a chance to use her later. The game makes you wait so that everyone gets her at the same time no matter when they finished the dungeon.

Also, if the game is that easy now, perhaps I need to play on Very Hard when I get Golden...

When does the weapon shop start selling new stuff? I just beat the second dungeon and he still hasn't expanded beyond chainmail and everyone's first weapon.

Sophia

When does the weapon shop start selling new stuff? I just beat the second dungeon and he still hasn't expanded beyond chainmail and everyone's first weapon.

You need to sell him your materials in your inventory for him to start selling new items. They're useless in your bags anyhow, and it's free money.

Miker

Okay, more questions about endings:

I just got to the choice for the bad/normal endings, and the choices were pretty obvious, and I avoided the bad ending. Now my question is how to get the true ending - is there any spoiler-free way of describing what conditions are necessary for it? Like for the bad/normal ending, the date would've sufficed - is there a corresponding date for the true ending?

Top Bottom